What happened to plan 9? I know the last release by bell labs was in 2015? but did a community form around it...

what happened to plan 9? I know the last release by bell labs was in 2015? but did a community form around it? As far as I can tell it was supposed to more UNIX than UNIX itself.

Attached: Glenda bunny mascot of plan 9 from bell black.jpg (1528x1950, 144K)

Other urls found in this thread:

doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/
9front.org/
code.google.com/archive/p/nix-os/
cat-v.org
suckless.org
9front.org
aiju.de/
harvey-os.org/
man.cat-v.org/plan_9/1/8c
9p.io/sys/doc/comp.html
9fans.github.io/plan9port/man/man3/thread.html
9p.io/sys/doc/
9p.io/sys/doc/auth.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

UNIX or not UNIX is a superb os, you should't care.

First of all is Plan 9 not Plan9 or plan9.

> what happened to plan 9?
People are stupid, good enough mentality, license problem.

> but did a community form around it?

I don't know if you are trolling or just new, anyway few community more or less active formed around it, cat-v.org, suckless.org (not strictly Plan 9 related but
the userbase is common), 9front (which is the active modern fork, the de facto Plan 9 today).

Other forks: Nix which iirc is dead, like Harvey (Plan 9+Linux).
Other project someway related (by person, technology or philosophy ): wmii, wily(dead), plan9port, drawterm, myrddin language, Ant, werc, dwm, inferno, limbo, everything made by Rob Pike

useful links:
cat-v.org
doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/
9front.org/
suckless.org

> University course of operating system using Plan 9, old but really cool
lsub.org/who/nemo/9.intro.pdf

Plan 9 was internal OS for Bells Labs and after releasing it publicly, devs did not care about marketing it.
I don't consider 9front to be that serious project. Another serious fork would be Harvey OS and just from the front page you can see what Plan 9 was missing to hit the market - good optimizing compiler, compliance to some standards (regardless of how stupid they are), wider arch support.
Plan 9 is not a good server OS, it's really really slow as officially released. Good enough for human interaction though.
As an OS, it's really not that interesting design and there are quite bad decisions. The modern design moved on yet 40 years on unix is still the widest OS present. It's a nice criticism to many hideous designs in modern systems that stick around because of being locked in standards, so imho it's worth to study, after all the source is not that big.

nah i'm new thanks :) do you mean like NixOS or something else?

Thanks I've never heard of Harvey, I was just looking for info. a Google search didn't bring all this information that this thread did

> As an OS, it's really not that interesting design and there are quite bad decisions

No, The design *is* what make Plan 9 interesting, it seems like you don't know what are you talking about

i thought bell labs killed it off way earlier

most advanced fork so far seems to be 9front. some Jow Forumsentooman was also working on a fork.

> do you mean like NixOS or something else
No, NixOS is not Plan 9 related
Nix which is dead iirc code.google.com/archive/p/nix-os/

also is porting plan 9's windowing system to *nix actually possible? i have a feeling it would be better than either Xorg or Wayland.

>but did a community form around it?
That would be 9Front.

Really not, the design might have been interesting in 90s but devs weren't even consistent with it when it came to processes/threads. What they did with VFS was already surpassed in modern designs. Access control is just plain unix, nothing interesting here. Network stack was ok, all it took was not being a retarded hack, but ``everything is a file'' is overrated and it really overcomplicates interfaces and kernel implementations.
All of the designs were only interesting because they were right in comparison to what became popular, but really - modern OS design makes Plan 9 look obsolete.

afaik rio doesn't support hardware-accelerated rendering at all, it would make a lot of effort to make it usable and GPU drivers are built aganst Xorg

> but ``everything is a file'' is overrated and it really overcomplicates interfaces and kernel implementations

It just expose a consistent, nice interface. I don't see how it overcomplicates kernel implementation.

> All of the designs were only interesting because they were right in comparison to what became popular, but really - modern OS design makes Plan 9 look obsolete.

Yes if you have an academia mentality.

The point is to have an effective design to access resource and computing.

The EIF, the chan/file, bind and 9p all togheter results in nice *simple* way to computing

>What they did with VFS was already surpassed in modern designs.
Such as...?

>Harvey OS
Development rate is pretty bad. 9Front has a far higher rate.

9front is under constant development and has been the “official” plan 9 since forever ago.

All the old Bell Labs guys have either died or become homosexual Google employees.

Attached: B935E5CE-6B80-4594-B213-2742266C69D6.jpg (900x1125, 182K)

>All the old Bell Labs guys have either died or become homosexual Google employees.
What??

he's referring to Rob Pike

>All the old Bell Labs guys have either died or become homosexual Google employees.
Just like the original Jow Forums userbase

Attached: smug kaguya.jpg (667x900, 287K)

There is actually a decent community around Plan 9. 9front is probably the most stable OS for daily use, but Jehanne is super promising. Basically, Jehanne wants to be vanilla Plan9 but with support for the standard Linux software (so vim, emacs, musl, mksh, etc).

Why did he kill himself?

the software was too harmful

Let's try to list all the websites by the UNIX philosophy community that run the comfy werc framework.

cat -v: cat-v.org
suckless: suckless.org
9front: 9front.org
aiju: aiju.de/

Any other one?

Attached: acme.png (600x302, 2K)

How deep is the rabbit hole?

Attached: 2018-07-15-07:12:17-screenshot.png (677x498, 75K)

9front won't let me set a password for my account

>suckless.org

suckless does not run werc

but n-gate does

Would it be feasible to port every Linux driver to 9front?

Take a look at Jehanne

9Front shills begone

9front dev here, come check out our discord channel for general Plan9 discussion

You niggers are fucking stupids for using that cancer that is Lucent and CDDL.

Attached: 1524693255196.png (496x498, 248K)

wasn't all of plan 9 eventually relicensed to GPL2

afaik theo de raadt hated it because he wanted to use the C compilers in OpenBSD

Prove me 9Front is not falling for the wrong license then, because last time I checked they did.

I unironically run 9front as my daily driver, AMA

how are you posting here

9Front is shilled and I bet is because its license is shit. Prove me wrong.

Attached: is alright.jpg (360x360, 25K)

Mothra

Jehanne is better than 9front

What license is that? link?

>license is probably CDDL or Lucent
>a scam for devs
>constantly shilled, probably by some company
9Front confirmed for shit

Attached: just don't.png (300x300, 8K)

jehanne.io

why run werc over serving static html?

isn't jehanne a one-man project?

Who needs a physical body when your soul can be scattered on a distributed network and mounted as a 9P service, ahah

Attached: XZTVjPm.png (599x427, 385K)

bump

Attached: pinkie_pie_and_twilight_sparkle_by_emperpep-d5y3iw1.jpg (749x1065, 263K)

Do you even know what license is the shit you are on?

>Last commit: 9 month ago

it seems like one

I don't like markdown instead of troff but using GCC is the only sane move I've seen you autists made. The fuck are you even doing instead of using GCC you stupid cunts.

Well, that "one guy" seems to do better and more sane than batshit 9front.

harvey-os.org/

Attached: HarveyOS.jpg (281x268, 13K)

>9front devs shilling on Jow Forums
>Web site is basically all shitty memes
Yeah.

The memes are good though, and probably the only good thing.

GPL is much worse than CDDL, GNU/faggots

Fuck off cuck and take that proprietary cock off your mouth.

you clearly don't know what are you talking about, not about Johanne nor about 9front. the project is a toy project it will slowly die in a year.

> Well, that "one guy" seems to do better
> and more sane than batshit 9front.

that "one guy" that ask on #9front how to do stuff?
Don't get me wrong, the guy is funny and probably talented but the two projects are not even comparable

Are you a 9front dev or something?

>Prove me wrong.
Not needed. It is you who make a claim and the onus is on you to prove your point. And I expect you will scream like a little girl rather than make a proof.

So is true?

no? I just like 9front and Plan 9 related technology. irrc I started 3/4 years ago maybe before I'm not good with time.

>no?
Suspicious question mark.

9front is probably not meant for you, why should I waste my time when there's 9front.org?

no no, I would like to but I'm not skilled enough to be a 9front developer or Johannes one

Everyone looked at the logo and run away.

based 9front

Attached: 1529556602280.gif (398x444, 583K)

Attached: Download.png (556x500, 358K)

>it's really really slow as officially released
insane, you just made that up

>there are quite bad decisions
list them

>weren't even consistent with it when it came to processes/threads
what does that even mean? there is no distinction. a process is a thread is a process.

>What they did with VFS was already surpassed in modern designs
like fucking what? dbus?

>Access control is just plain unix
wrong again

>it really overcomplicates interfaces
what the fuck are you on about? it simplifies interfaces to a few syscalls: open, close, read, write

what is it about plan 9 that invites bullshit polemics from people who have clearly never even used it?

rio exists in plan9port

for 1:1 functionality such as multiplexing windows i'm not sure

because he was depressed durrrrr

no one wants to write html

the 9front people (not "9Front" as the schizo samefag keeps writing) don't give the slightest whiff of a shit about licencing. each of them has said that all code they write, including modifications to plan 9, should be considered public domain. apply the changesets to a GPL plan 9 fork if you want. you could probably just take 9front and switch the licence file for the GPL without angering the gods. i don't see why you'd it, because the GPL is even worse than the lucent public licence, but you can probably do it.

plan 9 hasn't had a c++ compiler for like 30 years

> The fuck are you even doing instead of using
> GCC you stupid cunts.

man.cat-v.org/plan_9/1/8c
9p.io/sys/doc/comp.html

There you go, educate yourself

i like this thread

it died because "everything is a file" is a meme.

screenshotz nao!!!

i want to see what mothra looks like rendering a modern webpage super hard. like how about a Jow Forums screenshot, and then something more fancy like maybe youtube.com

>what the fuck are you on about? it simplifies interfaces to a few syscalls: open, close, read, write

lmao, ya because implementing file io and filesystem APIs for every syscall, device really makes shit simple.
hell even linux is trying to kill of /proc because of how shit it is. netstat, ifconfig, etc are all being deprecated for appropriate syscall style tools like ss, iproute2, etc.

enjoy your slow, shitty fs garbage.

>there is no distinction. a process is a thread is a process.
Is 9fans.github.io/plan9port/man/man3/thread.html wrong?

> lmao, ya because implementing file io and filesystem APIs for every syscall, device really makes shit simple

instead of spouting bullshit why don't you look how many syscall and locs Plan 9/9front has

> hell even linux is trying to kill of /proc
ah if Linux does this it must be right :^)

>obviously doesn't get the point
linux is going to kill /proc? goddamn
the linux community have obviously been overrun by corporate idiots who ruin the unix philosophy with abominations like systemd. killing /proc will make me hate linux even more

thank god the BSDs are not managed by Red Hat and Canonical pointy-haired-boss idiots and can actually keep their OSes from turning into piles of garbage

unix philosophy is both inconsistent and also pure shit.

maybe if you weren't a child, you'd know this.

why? plan 9 is shit compared to linux. I guess if your kernel doesn't have useful fs features like inotify, it makes sense that you can easily make a shitty fs for all your shitty kernel api.

> inconsistent
do you know what inconsistent means?
provide example please
Also Plan 9 is not Unix

> I guess if your kernel doesn't have useful fs features like inotify

you don't have to guess, you have to read. goddamn you're retarded

that's plan9port, which runs atop unix. there is a distinction between procs and threads though. i was either mistaken or thinking of the documentation from an ancient version of plan 9. probably the former.

(Thou)

>inconsistent
go on

>pure shit
very objective. why don't you link the unix hater's handbook while you're at it, as if the tumors added by AT&T and berkeley are in any way related to the unix philosophy?

why the fuck should I read some aborted AT&T shitcode when linux exists? literally plan 9 and it's shitty muh files and network transparent filesystem-like RPC is outdated. deal with it and use linux retard.

@66748266 formats his logs as binary and then sends them to a broker process via DBus before they're written to disk. to read his logs you have to use a special parser that implements the functionality of less(1).

> RPC
please stop

how long until somebody posts
>let me interject for a moment. the operating system you are referring to is properly known as GNU/Plan 9...

"network transparent filesystem-like RPC is obsolete", said a webfag who tries to implement exactly that functionality via JSON and HTTP.

said the webfag using flexible and secure userspace RPC.

fixed that for you dipshit. RPC and clustering does not belong in kernelspace.

yeah, of course linux guys are all way smarter than ken

>My ideal for the future is to develop a file system remote interface (a la Plan 9) and then have it implemented across the Internet as the standard rather than HTML. That would be ultimate cool. [Ken Thompson]

Imagine how many man-centuries are wasted writing bindings and other special-purpose code, and replacing & rewriting subsystems & system APIs because of idiots like this.

yes, they literally are. Linux and even Windows is superior to legacyware muh unix shit.

it is in userspace

maybe the "networking" part. not the filesystem api to devices like cpus and displays.

linuxbois paint themselves into a corner like with ALSA and pulseaudio (or they just come up with a solution for a nonexistent problem), then convince themselves that enormously overengineered workarounds (or redundant projects) are the best thing since sliced bread. every time.

Attached: lennartware.png (313x209, 8K)

9p.io/sys/doc/

Maybe you could get clued up!

specifically

9p.io/sys/doc/auth.html

DBUS, ANYONE?

No vidya? No thanks!

it has Gameboy emulator and doom in the base system!

imagine all the bugs that would happen if all kernel interactions are through shitty bianry protocols to "files" that are really just well structured and abi-stable syscalls.

protip, even ancient glibc works on linux 4.17.x as long as you enable vsyscall emulation.

do some research ffs, this is getting embarrassing

research what? how shit plan 9 is? i don't have to. no greenfield development uses it and plan 9 garbage only came back because go happened and go is also poorly designed garbage. go doesn't even have a good pdm yet. lmao