/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

>Read

>search
>ddg.gg/lite

>redirect anons making their own threads with >GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Programming questions?
>Smartphone purchasing advice?
>Windows questions?
Where can I get Win10 LTSB?
How do I activate Win10/Win7?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7
pastebin.com/1PcnaQS5

Old thread

Attached: 1531611262624.jpg (800x573, 46K)

Other urls found in this thread:

discordapp.com/privacy)
spyware.neocities.org/articles/discord.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

About to switch to chrome to another browser. I still would to keep the bookmarks though so I’d prefer a fork. Please tell me what you suggest?

Is 1440p a good resolution for a 32 inch monitor?

Is there any better alternative to RoliSoft's TV Show Tracker? Hasn't been updated in years and I always worry that the database APIs will change some day in such a way that the program will become useless (since you can't add new shows to it without scraping their data from one of the supported databases) Here's a screenshot of the main interface for those who haven't used it before, main features I use are automatically tracking last watched episode from your media player, find and launch next episode from your media folders automatically, also shows some data like next air dates when available, has features for automatic torrenting but I don't use that shit since just setting up a RSS feed in BTN is easier for me.

I've seen some full-blown media center things that handle all aspects of playback but I don't really want that, just a simple interface where I can pick what I want to watch and it will grab the next episode and send it to my default player for me and keep track of what I've watched. Also don't really want something that runs out of a website or something.

Attached: Untitled.png (1123x610, 97K)

Would Wireshark suffice as a tool for understanding the different protocols and layers? I'm reading a book on basic networking and would like to gain hands on knowledge. Is there a better way to go about this?

Why are some TV/Movies so fucking quiet when its just dialog and you have to turn it up to fucking 100, but when its action its loud as fuck and you have to turn it down to 5.
Why dont these bastards normalize their shit?

which laptop brands should i avoid?

I'm using a trial version of software on windows 7. It comes with a limited trial then expires. It doesn't need an internet connection.

Uninstalling it, deleting %appdata% contents, and deleting its obvious registry entry in CURRENT_USERS with regedit doesn't change anything. It still knows exactly when I installed it. I am assuming it maliciously buries some junk data in my registry that is a timestamp.

How do I find this timestamp and delete it? The software is used by normies and moralfags and I can't find any info online how to elongate/reset the trial period.

apple

turn back clock

i have 1440p 27 in and like it

Not gonna happen unless you use it in a VM or sandbox. Windows programs have WAY too much freedom to install shit wherever they want on your computer. You could try Revo uninstaller, but I highly doubt it will make any difference.

I am looking for a cheap TV and the 2 options that i saw was a LG J6560 with a IPS panel 60hz and a Samsung MU6100 with a VA panel, it says 120hz, apparently is not true 120hz but some software shit. Is an IPS panel that big of a difference in a TV like in monitors? never used one, and does 120hz actually looks better?
I don't know about the new HP models with the omen brand, but from personal experience with older models i would say HP because if you ever want to open it to replace anything or clean the dust of the fan feels so fucking bad and tedious, you have to take out the bottom, the keyboard, the ram, the hard drive and the motherboard just to clean the heatsink. Currently i use a lenovo and holy shit the difference is night and day, you can take out the bottom and take out the heatsink, ram or anything by itself without having to remove more stuff.

Attached: 1507577957482.gif (266x243, 250K)

I was never (I think) able to use noscript v2 captcha (v1 was OK but it's kill for quite some time now). Before I didn't care too much but now normal captcha is getting annoying so I really want noscript one (I know it still works, clover uses it).
So how do I fix it? I'm using FF stable 61.0.1 (but it was fucked in previous FF releases too) and Violentmonkey. I complete captcha and google accepts it (doesn't give me another captcha if I solve it right, captcha window gets smaller, all visual clues suggest captcha accepted that it got solved) but 4chanX gives me some bullshit that captcha malfunctioned. Tried turning all extensions apart from ViolentMonkey off, doesn't help.
Pic for attention.

Attached: cute whore.jpg (1920x1200, 219K)

The 120hz is mildly pleasant in games, but actively worth avoiding in shows/movies. It's called the "soap opera effect". Years of conditioning have lead us to associate high framerates with shitty tv, and it goddam ruins movies. A lot of people want help turning off the feature.

I normally associate VA with motion issues, so it's strange to see it paired with 120hz. As far as color reproduction goes I would expect them to be similar.

i'm looking for a mouse to my laptop (doesn't matter what kind of mouse as long as it works) but they all have those big usb plugs which usually end up getting broken (when i lie in bed and the quilt puts pressure on it or when laptop accidentally slips to the side and the whole weight goes onto the plug etc etc etc) is there a mouse with some smart, tiny plug that would be resistant to putting side pressure on it? something like right angle minijacks or maybe even smarter design?
and before you say it: no, i don't want a wireless mouse

>cpu temps get slightly higher
>its been almost 4 years
>clean cpu and with paper towels and isopropyl alcohol
>apply thermal paste
>check temps
>temps even higher
>FUCK.exe
>redo everything maybe i put too much paste and put less 2nd time
>temps now even higher
I'm retarded, how to fix high idle cpu temps

Attached: 1530895371919.jpg (705x848, 229K)

Is there any kind of free tool/software that can help me free up space in my hard drive? Something that could point out stuff to delete, or do you guys have any suggestions of things to look up that could be taking space?

I already went over my files and programs and deleted anything unnecessary, the stuff left doesn't even take that much space yet I have just a few gbs of space left.

Attached: 1429145127735.jpg (283x323, 49K)

>high idle
What temp?
Whats your ambient temp?

there are tools but they mostly do shit. you'll have to dig through your files. get windirstat or spacesniffer or whatever, run it and see what takes a lot of space
also you need to be more specific. are you talking aobut your system partition?

the best temps were about a year ago at 26-27 about 2 months ago became 32-34 after 1st time now changing paste became 38-39 after 2nd time became 42-45
ambient temp always around 72-78 degrees

i hope you're using some good thermal paste not a toothpaste tier crap

>42-45
These are fine idle temps

So I know that Windows 7, by default, won't install onto a pci-e/nvme m2 SSD, unless you do some driver-loading fuckery, since that didn't exist when 7 was released. But if I use a SATA m2 SSD, it should install fine, right? SATA disks (some of them SSDs) definitely work on 7. It's just that the form factor is different, yes?

I did check and make sure that the mobo I want to use can talk to both NVME and SATA SSDs in its M2 slot.

Attached: blank image.png (1500x1350, 294K)

What's the most secure alternative to ImageMagick for resizing untrusted images in a web app? Looking at ImageFlow but it seems not very popular. All I need is resizing.

I see, I'll search those up, thanks for the suggestion. I did ran the windows disk clean up and it says I have 43 gb in temp files? Is it safe to delete these?

>43GB
holy shit! yes, absolutely

How do you fags configure pulseaudio to get the highest quality output?

Attached: 1526721456871.jpg (761x688, 169K)

Netpbm would probably be the best option; you can isolate the scaling, decoding, and reencoding stages from each other, and from the rest of the system.

livestream.com has decided to not continue free streaming. Is there any site where I can stream from vlc to that anyone can view? I tried cytube but it mainly favors google drive as to upload which is too slow.

Follow archwiki wiki on it

>pirate early '10's games on pirated W10
>one of the games obviously put some cancer on the comp, booting the comp now takes 3 min+
How do i track down whats clogging down my boot time?
I don't really mind having a trojan or whatever aids they can throw at me (nothing important on this pc), as long as it doesn't slow my boot time.
Hitman pro and malwarebytes betray me.

Attached: 1531286563090.jpg (1745x1079, 190K)

I want to create a custom uBlock Origin filter list so other people can use, how do i do this?

Download Microsoft Autorun.
Run Adwcleaner and Malwarebytes as you do it.

i posted earlier about an external harddrive not showing up.

when i go to disc management, it doesn't show up there either so i cant assign a letter to it.

also this harddrive used to show up fine on this laptop. it worked normally a few months ago when it was plugged into it last.

Is it a good idea to create a partition within e.g. 10GB to gain more security for my files?
Windows 10.

i did, i get crackling/distorted noises every now and then

Probably the controller is dead, if it doesn't show up in Linux its kill for sure.

>Burn disk on my PC
>Burns just fine no issues
>Insert the disk
>PC can't read it
>Try it in another PC
>Works just fine
>Burn disk in other PC
>My PC still can't read it
burning at 16x on both, if that helps

Attached: Shit shit shit.jpg (282x200, 26K)

Why did my YouTube suddenly gain a second scroll bar? One for the video itself, and then related videos. It's annoying as fuck. It only seems to be like this when I'm logged into my account though.

Attached: scrollbars.jpg (1920x916, 604K)

Its been there since what, 1 week?
Layout update, now comments have a scrollbar instead a load more button.

Never burn at full speed.

the external harddrive shows up fine on my other PC and on my xbox.

it's just my laptop refusing to recognize it. it recognizes other usb flashdrives.

For all the bullshit W10 gets whenever I fuck up my flash drive and 10-chan does the recovery tool thingy on it, it's much faster than 7.

Any other little detail they improved? They couldn't have made everything shit, right?

While delidding my CPU, I noticed some hairline scratches on the die, probably due to the fabric I used to clean it off. Should I be concerned?

Pretty sure my disk drive's max speed isn't 16x though.
I'll try in 8x next time. Wish me luck.

Attached: Unf2.jpg (300x332, 23K)

Well that sucks. At least it goes away if you sign out for now. Hopefully there's a workaround in the future.

Does there exist a single thunderbolt 3 dock featuring space for both PCIe and SATA? I just purchased a laptop and its only real weaknesses are the lack of storage and the GPU. I can find either PCIe or SATA docks but haven't found anything for both.

>Download Microsoft Autorun
You beautiful person, i could cry.
Got the boot time down to a couple of seconds.
Thank you.

Attached: 1500662423332.jpg (462x435, 153K)

Run it in admin mode and it will show more results, check Scheduled task tabs and logon tabs for anything weird too.

The actual electronics are on the other side of the die, so it's probably fine.

>booting takes 3 min+
>down to a couple of seconds
Annon was growing skynet on his PC.

W-Where do babies come from?

Attached: Bitchimpo.png (550x400, 33K)

Reddit

Amazon

I had to update my DVD writer firmware recently because of this exact issue, maybe see if you can update yours?

want to find out user? ;)

That's why I'm asking.

Attached: Buhi.jpg (474x640, 175K)

send me ur discord then c;

>Discord explicitly confirms in its privacy policy (discordapp.com/privacy) that it collects the following information:

> · IP Address
> · Device UUID
> · User's e-mail address
> · All text messages
> · All images
> · All VOIP data (voice chat)
> · Open rates for e-mail sent by Discord

>Discord does not explictly confirm that it collects this information, but still collects it:

> · All programs that are running on your computer

Source: spyware.neocities.org/articles/discord.html

then dunno
ircc?

Microsoft Edge

macrumors.com

Yeah, use Wireshark

Stop watching Michael Bay movies, they suck.

Applel and HP, most of the cheaper lines from everyone else. Thin and light form factors are really hit or miss.

Apple and HP, even under really cheap prices you should avoid them all, no exception.

Backup the registry before you install it.

>before you say it: no, i don't want a wireless mouse
I was going to recommend the Logitech wireless mice because they have the tiniest adapter. No idea about wired. All of them I've seen are larger.

does your laptop have internal bluetooth?
a lot of modern wireless mice have really small adapters, small enough not to be damaged if something slide past them

Windows? Delete the old update files, old video card drivers. Open up disk cleanup, do the full clean, whatever it's called. It cleans up system shit. If you don't use hibernation, you can turn that off. Shrink your page file.

WinDirStat to give you a idea what is using the space.
CCleaner to delete.

You are placing the heatsink fan wrong OR you need a new heatsink fan.

Post CPU/HSF

I'm just now realizing I don't understand git as well as I thought I did. I was trying to switch between a branch and my master branch, but out of nowhere git decided that 5 out of 6 commits in the feature branch were already merged into master. I managed to revert everything back to the way it was supposed to be, but my commit history and the feature branch still look fucked on Bitbucket, and when I tried to replicate what happened to me, things decided to work as I originally thought they would. What the fuck happened?

To the best of my recollection, here's what I did:

1. git checkout master. I should've noticed something was up here, because files from my feature branch were still there. I wish I knew why.

2. git pull, since master on my laptop was behind my remote.

3. At this point a merge conflict randomly decided to pop up, even though it should've just fast-forwarded.

4. I pushed everything to my remote (Bitbucket) and noticed my feature branch was missing every one of its commits except for the latest one, and that everything else had been merged into my master branch. Even stranger, there was no record of the new files from my feature branch in the merge commit. Normally it would indicate a new file, but there was nothing there.

Any ideas what happened here? And again, I tried to replicate this to the best of my ability, but it all went down fine the second time.

Use diskpart.

Its not shitty bay movies.
Its the news, its the sitcom, its anything.
Its not the speakers or tv either, its the same shit across all medium

Isn't that the old layout?

Will cats generally kill spiders? Or just bat them around/play with them until they eventually get away?

Noticed my cat going after a spider earlier but pretty ineffectively and the spider eventually did escape despite taking a few swats, wondering if this was intentional or just due to incompetence on the cat's part

So I had 4 hard drives in 2 separate Mirror arrays (using windows) that suddenly dropped off and the partition tool said both arrays failed. The culprit I believe is pic related. A startech 4 port SATA 3 RAID card. (I didn't use the RAID function. Drives were set up as JBOD). I think it died due to heat stroke.

Attached: DeadCard1.jpg (1506x2048, 1.29M)

I believe cats view spiders as an amusing distraction, like yarn, or the dot of a laser pointer. Unless its one of those giant fucking demon-spiders they have in Australia, in which case you need something larger than a housecat.

Attached: spider cars.jpg (500x667, 100K)

2nd side of card to see if anyone can see how it died that I can't see.

Attached: DeadCard2.jpg (1584x2048, 1.48M)

it could be heat or it could be... it just bit it. Plug the disks in via some other controller and see if the OS sees them.

I don't know what if any incantations windows needs to recognize that the disks already have stuff on them and are part of an array, and shouldn't be repartitioned or reformatted.

Lastly here is the server. When I opened the case, shit was HOT. All 8 Hard drives were extremely hot to the touch. The SATA card was scorching hot as well. My question is what the fuck do I do to prevent this again? Should I buy some top end noctuas? I'm about to install a fan on the side panel of my Server's Fractal R5 case because this is nuts.

Attached: Server-Guts-GT710-2.jpg (4628x3455, 2.93M)

nah windows doesn't usually require anything amazing to recognize a windows made array.

I once had my home server in a Define R4 blackout. Check and see if the fans are turned down, I believe the case has a switch somewhere on the front inside the door. I found that the stock fans really weren't equipped to cope with eight drives, and needed to be at full speed to even mostly keep up.

A side fan over the expansion cards certainly couldn't hurt. Also let that be a lesson to you about using uATX, even a single slot in between the cards helps temps quite a bit. I've fought with this with the SAS card and a similar passive video card in my case

Alright, so I guess I didn't read closely enough, because it told me this the first time around

Switched to branch 'master'
Your branch and 'origin/master' have diverged,
and have 4 and 15 different commits each, respectively.
(use "git pull" to merge the remote branch into yours)

I don't know what I could've done to cause this "divergence" but I guess I just need to pay a lot closer attention in the future. Oh well.

How can I intall Linux and if I dislike it how can I reinstall Windows 10? Will I need to purchase Windows 10 again?

ugh yea. I was going to get a Supermicro full ATX board but it was like $210 compared to the $125 I paid for my uATX board. So should I invest in some good fans?

Also looking now, the 2 front 140mm fans that came with the case were on their lowest settings so they were barely spinning.

You can try it from the USB before installing.
You dont really need to install it over windows, you can install it alongside it.

Live boot from a USB drive.
You won't need to buy Win10 again.

Definitely put those on full and see if drive temps improve. You'll probably have to leave them there, even if they're too loud for your tastes, I did. Scrub the heatsink of that SATA card down with acetone to get that wax thermal pad off and put some decent grease on it, then pop it back in and see if it shows up. (you might want to use scratch drives) If it does, then yeah, might want to give it some more cooling. If the slot below it was open I'd tell you to get one of those slot blowers that people used back in 1999 to cool their Voodoo 2s, and which are still made for some reason.

Also use Linux Mint cinnamon which is Linux for retards.

And reinstall Windows 10 2016 LTSB if you dont like windows 10.

>I found that the stock fans really weren't equipped to cope with eight drives,
Hard drives do not need active cooling, unless you live in a desert.
An HDD at 45ºC is a happy camper, assuming of course you aren't frequently turning it off, which would result in thermal cycling.

Those drives are also right in front of the intake fans though. Maybe the drives are okay being at 45C, but the rest of the stuff in the case obviously isn't happy with the amount of air they're pushing past the drives.

the other thing you can do is turn the PSU around, so that it intakes from the case and not up through the bottom. Generates some throughflow ventilation. though the side and back vents will short-circuit some of that, and its the kind of thing where if it makes any difference, you're already too close to the thermal edge.

Look at the surface mount marked R10, I'm not sure what's going on there but it kinda looks like a resistor popped off. I don't imagine you have a multimeter lying around?

Pulling my hair out here Jow Forumsents
>4*3TB SAS Dell branded seagate constellation drives lying around in the office
>ayy boss can I have this
>yeah a'ight
>awww yeah gonna toss these bitches in my home server (Gigabyte Z77 w/ 3770 [also stolen from work])
>fuck no SAS
>rummage around the "to toss" pile of servers
>managed to find a HP P212 controller
>go home after work
>toss 'er Gen 2 PCI-e 8x ass in a 16x PCI-e Gen 3 slot set to Gen 2 in BIOS
>cobba ain't givin' me an option ROM
>pull the CMOS
>cobba give's me an option ROM, but only straight after pulling the CMOS and then proceeds not to show up in `lspci`
>decide to test with spare WD 1TB, manage to create a logical drive after pulling CMOS
>still no option ROM after rebooting after CMOS pull
>never shows up in `lspci`
>adapter one light is green on the card but drive fault light is orange but only after reboot after CMOS pull

What the fuck fellas? Can't even get in for a firmware upgrade

Attached: artworks-000295226868-p6u67g-t500x500.jpg (500x500, 46K)

install gentoo

ah shit you're right. Looks like a resistor popped off. And no, no multi-meter. I'm just looking at decent cards right now

what is an interface