Whats the best window manager and what DE should i get?

whats the best window manager and what DE should i get?

Attached: 1526078534530.gif (500x493, 631K)

If just starting, cinnamon or xfce with their default window manager. If more experienced, no DE and i3 window manager

This

why hello there summer!

Literally what I am doing.

Brainlet here, I'm rurning xfce,and I really like i3 from luke smith's videos, can I use xfce with i3? It's been literally two days since I switched to linux

Bumpo

HOLY COW SHIT YOU ARE SUCH A MOTHER FUCING RETARDED NIGGER

Attached: caveman.png (485x443, 26K)

I already stated that

go back to windows, you don't belong here

i use spectrwm now after a long stint with evilwm. i don't like tilers is general but it works well enough. having good defaults is a big deal to me because i think ricing is gay af. i would recommend evilwm+xbindkeys+dmenu or spectrwm for window managers and lxde for desktop environments.

yes, you can. xfce is the desktop environment that uses xfwm4 as its window manager by default. you can replace xfwm4 with whatever wm you want to use. it's actually a very common combination, try googling for it.

GNOME or KDE

fuck off, people who don't belong on linux are the ones who complain that it's not the same as windows and do nothing about it
people who want to learn stuff totally belong here

Thanks, I'll check it out
Thanks for standing up for me there user

>Thanks for standing up for me there user
i swear some people forget how they were when they first tried it
when i first tried linux in 2004, it took me longer than 2 days to know what a de or wm is, that said, this was with no prior knowledge of linux whatsoever, i was given a cd after asking about what was one someones' computer since it looked different

dwm.exe

-- heh, just remembered that one of the first things i did was installed graphics drivers... by downloading them from the ati website, since you know, that's what you do on windows
they did work, but these kinds of assumptions didn't get me far, things opened up a lot once i discovered the package manager

Do you consider yourself an expert now? Do you have any books or youtube or courses to suggest a newbie commarad

>Do you consider yourself an expert now?
i hesitate to call myself an expert at anything, there's always something you don't know
i'm very comfortable using it though, it became my primary os around 2009/2010
i didn't read books about it, and i've never used youtube for tutorials, unless it's something hands-on where a video makes sense
i just look up things either as i need them or if i run across something that stands out. try to assume nothing, it's harder to get into linux when you're already experienced in another OS, you basically need to forget everything you know about using an OS

What distro, DE/WM, you're running?

arch, openbox+tint2
tried plenty of distros, and countless ui configurations, but i've been on this setup basically unchanged since 2013. that's not to say it's "the best" or even the best for you, of course.

all you have to do is sudo apt-get install i3, really.

then upon longin, you have a menu to choose the DE you want to use from lightDM session manager.

this way you can go back to XFCE when you want (if you break your i3 config for instance and need to edit your dot files from somewhere else).

I use wubuntu personnaly, but i also have awesomeWM and openbox installed, they're light so they don't add much bloat to the system and i can use them when i want.

>wubuntu
*xubuntu

well, "plenty of distros" might be a stretch as far as actual bases go i've only really spent a significant amount of time on debian (and derivatives) and funtoo
other things like opensuse and fedora i haven't really tried much

Apart from the package manager and the release/update schedule there's not much diference between distro.
Sure they come with a different set of config tools and default application but they all can be installed on any distro.

Once you've tried a .deb based distro, a .rpm based distro, a non binary based distro....you've pretty much tried them all.

What about those declarative config distros like NixOS and GuixSd that people can't stfu about? Those seem like they've deviated highly

wayland
anything that works with wayland, but GNOME is best

macOS

ex dee
not going to buy macs
hackintoshing requires too much effort to maintain it