So is the audio tech industry one giant meme or does more money actually mean better sound?

So is the audio tech industry one giant meme or does more money actually mean better sound?

Attached: fucking boomers.webm (640x360, 2.55M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-uv1PxInJnY
youtube.com/watch?v=zrpUDuUtxPM&t
youtube.com/watch?v=cIQ9IXSUzuM
youtube.com/watch?v=B8cNf0Q3tNs&t
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

There is definitely a difference between chink shit, consumer grade and professional grade. The shit audiophiles chase after are just snake oil.

you get better sound. Probably after you spend around 2k on audio gear headphones are capped out. Probably after you spend 400-600 on audio gear you are pretty much high end. Honestly the very high end is more of personal preference than anything.

Beyond 2k on audio gear is snake oil unless you are talking about speakers.

For the most part, more money = better quality, but there are a few exceptions. One of them is falling for meme brands that are literally fashion accessories. Related is falling for combinations of things that don't do either thing particularly well. Finally, most normies aren't going to be able to tell the difference between mid end stuff and high end stuff, but they can obviously tell the difference between low end and mid end.

Those are some impressive headphones!

going back to his channel and rewatching his top videos will never not be funny

Yeah, sort of. Other posters already explained it but I want my word in anyways. A good bit of it is snake oil, another bit is not. Just don't fall for memes and trust your ears.

There's also a case of there is always going to be something that sounds better, but it's not worth chasing after if you're already comfy. I've got some audiotechnica IEMs and an old sansa and I've got not desire to upgrade.

Did he die in the apocalypse yet? I just watched his retirement video. Jesus. Why didn't he spend 7 years to build him a proper retirement home?

He wants to live in a van down by the river

>"Two thousand seven hundred and forty nine dollars"

bro whats the best sennheiser headphones to listen to music on?

/thread
Also, unless you're doing studio work, you don't need extremely good stuff.

dacs- giant meme
amps - hard $400 limit above which nothing gets better
headphones - $300 then you hit diminishing returns getting like 10% more per $300 more spent
speakers got a lot better now, you can get very decent ones for $200, it's abyss of lies and placebo beyond $2k though

youtube.com/watch?v=-uv1PxInJnY

i personally can't make out much difference after hd558/598 level (shitty ears i guess). for me the only thing i really notice is open vs closed headphones.

i also still haven't been able to figure out what the whole "get an amp, ___ can barely drive ___ headphones" means. i've tried hd600/k7xx/dt770 (250ohm) with my iphone/laptop and it all sounds okay to me and can all reach volumes that i find uncomfortable. i do sometimes wonder if many audiophiles are mildly deaf (from attending concerts or such) and have to turn up their volume much higher than the settings i use.

another thing i noticed when i tried a $300 dac/amp is that i get static blips when i put my phone within 3 feet of it. support told me the interference is known problem and to just keep my phone away. so for me, aside from the cool physical volume knob, it just introduces an issue i never experienced with onboard audio.

STAX HEADPHONES
BLUE HAWAII AMP
RESONNESENCE DAC

Godmode for $15k but worth it

who is this

you need to go back, all the way to your birth and preferably turn into a tumor so you die with your mother

you probably lost upper khz end of your hearing
try tone generator, you probably can't even hear 17khz(note: youtube cuts off at 16khz)
if tracks from youtube and actual tracks from player sound the same to you - your ears are slightly broken.

just give a straight answer, retard

>not knowing who some meme audio-fucktard is is somehow a bad thing
are you retard
does it hurt

youtube.com/watch?v=zrpUDuUtxPM&t
youtube.com/watch?v=cIQ9IXSUzuM
youtube.com/watch?v=B8cNf0Q3tNs&t

Nice Harbeth.

Attached: Accolade_by_Edmund_Blair_Leighton.jpg (2329x4000, 2.04M)

the amp isn't for volume retard, it's for transients

generally class A amps will be more capable of creating a faster change in voltage than AB, and this results in higher resolution

the same is theoretically true about better vs worse amps within a same class that still differ due to topological shit

i think you're right. just tried and i hear nothing ~16khz and after.

would this be something i need to do a decent amount of side by side listening to notice? i guess my ears are just bad or i don't listen to enough music. i've never actually heard anything with my phone while using headphones and thought "this is unbearably bad/unlistenable compared to my desktop setup". there are some other tech where i actually do have a reaction like that (e.g. 60hz vs 100+hz in monitors), but audio has never been one of them.

>audio-fucktard
afaik he has one of the best ears and hearing and was even picked up for navy sonar work because of it. did u buy beats to virtue signal your royality and elitism but butthurt bc they suck or what

I work with Monty, he's a bit of a huge fucking faggot.

>dacs- giant meme
Saying that dacs are a meme is a meme you dumbfuck. You spend hundreds of dollars on audio shit. Would you rather plug it into device that is measured to be transparent and therefore sound good, or your shitty $1 chip on integrated audio card that no one ever measured because there is hundreds of motherboards and no one is going to bother with this shit.
If you consider spending $100 on not ruining the rest of your setup as a meme then have it your way.
Spending stupid money on boutique dacs is a meme.

Losing upper range hearing has nothing to do with it. Headphones will sound different at all frequencies, not only highest ones.

>did u buy beats to virtue signal your royality and elitism but butthurt bc they suck or what
m8 idgaf about audiophile niggers and I dont know who this fucktard is (I also dont know what a "beat" is (probably some audio magazine?))

I asked who the fucktard in the OP is and you sperged out like the little sperg you are

You might be able to hear it, actually. The youtube video with 11 million views about it has a cutoff at 21 seconds or so

This is true, I fell for this once too. It's a perfect example of why you should not use youtube for anything audio related ever.

Some guy who does pretty good reviews but occasionally makes a spoof video like the one in the OP.
Most people fall hook, line and sinker for it and believe him to be an anal audiophile based on that one vid.
His beats review and then any other review will tell you all you really need to know.

>does more money mean better

Not always. For example, designer cables, special cables.

>amps - hard $400 limit above which nothing gets better

Depends on your system. Better speakers show the signature of the amp.

>speakers - abyss of lies and placebo beyond $2k

Depends on the speaker manufacturer. Expensive speakers may be expensive because of the cabinetry and finish, in which case, the cost goes into furniture-making. Other expensive speakers are expensive because the drivers are expensive and the crossover is high-end. And expensive speakers that are shitty is usually the result of profiteering by large conglomerates (Harman-Samsung Group) that know how to market junk (LSR305) to consumers who don't know what they're buying.

Attached: 816quad.bac.jpg (600x1011, 84K)

he should turn the volume down

The tube amp shit is the biggest load of snake oil bullshit. I use tubes in some components because I like the look of them but the supposedly better tone is bullshit.
There's a reason people went solidstate and it's because dealing with tubes was a huge PITA and still is.
The best thing you can do is get a good make receiver (i.e pioneer) with good wattage/resistance and good speakers like JBL

wat kind of speakers did you use with the tube amp?

Tyll Hertsens from innerfidelity
He reviewed headphones n shiiiet
Recently stopped because hearing goes to shit when you get old.

Diminishing returns.

fpbp

Speakers 1-5K
Amp 1K

Since these components last 30-40 years, especially these days when the materials for speakers are more resilient - it's not a huge expense over the long term. Some people don't know when to stop though.

>the signature of the amp.
this is how you spot audiophool, kids
remember it well.

Always understand the diminishing returns.

For $10. You will get 80% of what you will get with $1000000 Audiophile sound quality.

For $30. You will hit 85-90%

For $50. You will hit ~95%.

For $100. You will hit 97%.

For $1000. You will hit 99%.

For $100000. You will get to 99.9% of $1000000 level of sound quality.

lel i was able to hear above 20000 and have tinnitus. maybe its not tinnitus and its just my ears capturing signals

Good bait, almost got mad for a second.
You forgot to mention that you can also buy $1 earbuds and EQ them to sound like $100000 audiophile headphones.

$1 earbud will give you 50% of the quality of $100000 earbud.

$10 earbud will give you 90% of the quality of $100,000 earbud.

$20 will give 95%

$100 will give 98%.

Diminishing returns.

There is a margin of improvement and it's noticeable but after you reach a really high-end you'll only notice minimum improvements by going for even higher budget. In technology it's referred as "diminishing returns".

This is complete bullshit you dumb poorfag. Stop talking about things you know nothing about.
Headphones below $100 pricetag sound like shit.
Around $100+ you start finding decent stuff
Around $200-300 is where you hit point of diminishing returns.
There are some exceptions to this (mostly chi-fi) but $20 headphones are garbage and can't even be compared to actually good sounding stuff.
I'm not even going to go into speaker territory because there $10 can buy you cable at most.

Would almost be true if it would go that far. The best studio monitors by measurements don't cost more than $4000 per speaker, there is only so much you can do to trick physics.

You're just trying to justify your expensive habits. Its the same in almost every commodity market.

If your idea of diminishing returns is difference of 1% then it will hit around ~$200. If your idea of diminishing return is ~10%, then it will be hit in $10.

>the amount of money I spent on X is just right, less is lower quality and more is diminishing returns
imagine being this delusional about the marketing you fall for

Audiophiles fear ABX test. They cannot justify their placebo beliefs when put under actual test.

>does more money actually mean better sound?
up to a certain point, after that it's diminishing returns. very much like scotch, after a certain point it's all snake oil

>$10 screen is 90% of the quality of 8k 50 inch LCD
>$20 screen is 95 of the quality of 8k 50 inch LCD
>$10 computer is 90% of the quality of a quantum computer
>$10 mcdonalds is 90% of the quality of professionally made food
>$10 car is 90% of the quality of f1 race car
>rocks on the ground are as good as workout equipment
money always increases the value of stuff you fucking idiot. have more money? you can get everything better. that includes women, friends, and anything else in life.

You're dumb. The numbers require a standard pricing range most people pay already.

Most people buy cheap $10 earphones. They don't buy cheap $10 screen, its not even possible to buy that one unless its used/broken/diy fixer shit.

A typical screen cost ~$150ish. If we compare a $150 screen quality and a $1000 screen quality, there will hardly be any difference in picture quality.

The same for computers. Most computers hit a diminising return on ~4thread-4 cores for an acceptable performance in gaming. You can easily surf the web with dualcore CPU and not notice almost any difference between that and a 16 core CPU.

As you don't seem to understand, I'll state it for you. There is not a linear improvement in value vs money spent.

>For $1000. You will hit 99%.
a professionally designed audio room with +/-2db 20hz-20khz response and main monitors for $1000

yup

who gives a fuck what the hell random scums pay? idiot. it's not even 90% but supposing it was 90% it would still be trash. most of the world lives on less than a 2 dollars per day. 50%! what a high marker. if you're at the 50% intelligence range you're around 80 iq. so a bunch of 80 iq people living on 2 dollars per day use 10 dollar audio equipment? WOW that's where i want to be!

there's one reason not to spend good money on audio equipment and it's because you don't really care about the quality of the sound. if you care then more money increases the quality all the way up to having a professional studio like pointed out.

you're a dumbass bottom feeder so you don't get what people who are in the 1% do

Human distribution comes in a bellcurve. If 80% of the population spent only ~$10 on earphnes, the justification for spending $1000 on earphones is purely placebo tier.

Its a statistical figure that disproves your feelings.

>old as shit
>audiophile
wew, some massive placebo going on there.

user delivers

that doesn't even make sense you fucking retard. the population is limited by money they make not by desire for better quality stuff. if they had money to purchase better stuff than they would. you're clearly some mentally retard kid without a job or even decent mental capacity.

the reason why they don't drive ferrari, have 20 bedroom mansions, and $100,000 audio studio is because they can't afford it dumb fuck. random scums like you not being able to afford stuff doesn't mean the quality doesn't increase as you pay more

A $20,000 car will do what a $1.5M ferrari will do.

Get to work and pay bills.

Thats function, not performance.

You'd be delusional to say the 0-60 of a civic is the same as a lambo.

A $10 speaker will let you hear sound too!

>A $20,000 car will do what a $1.5M ferrari will do.
>Get to work and pay bills.
People don't buy ferraris to go to work. they buy ferraris to send some of the time they have outside of work.
Also,
>paying bills with a car
tf are you even saying?

I use 4 ohm and 6 ohm speakers.

The 4 ohm speakers have faster drivers which sound muffled during transients when using weaker amps, but perfectly clear running off stronger amps having greater capacitance.

Attached: DSC_6568A.jpg (2000x3008, 2.59M)

>money actually mean better sound

Not with headphones because cheap stax lambdas will offer complete sound quality for a low price.

more like:

you have to haul 12 tons of concrete blocks up a half-mile of 40 degree grade in one trip - which vehicle do you choose?

1) a Kia sedan with a 4-valve 3 cubic liter engine, or
2) a Mack truck with a 6-valve 16 cubic liter engine

Attached: house-move1.jpg (725x336, 48K)

only audiophile stuff

they're really not

People buy ferrari for placebo. Thanks for proving the point.

Imagine the stress of towing a fucking 800k+ house across a narrow bridge over a lake

I'm sweating

>If we compare a $150 screen quality and a $1000 screen quality, there will hardly be any difference in picture quality.

Attached: 1526840735297.jpg (419x610, 39K)

But it’s true. If you look at any electronics product, an option that costs 150 dollars always gives you at least 90% of the quality that a +1000 dollar option offers. That’s a hard fact.

>always gives you at least 90% of the quality that a +1000 dollar option offers.
a 1000 USD screen is typically 4k or at least a 1440p screen with 144Hz. A 150 USD screen is typically 1080p 60Hz, resolution wise and refresh rate wise neither are 90% of the 1000 USD screen.

>placebo

>blind date
>drive up to gril's house in a crystal Ferrari
>"OMG he drives a Ferrari"

>blind date
>drive up to gril's house with a used Ford Focus
>"Shit"

Attached: head to head.jpg (3453x1068, 974K)

>When a coupla tires on the foreign import ahead of you costs more than your date's entire car

Attached: meninist.jpg (153x236, 33K)

Simple question:
NAD or Cambridge Audio???
Thanks

depends on the model and the year

>simple question
Fuck me.
Ok.

Cambridge Audio 650A vs NAD C356BEE??

>gold digger

Literally the most placebo shit I've ever seen.

After about 150 bucks you get practically no returns. Its absurd. Expensive super high priced headphones are the biggest fucking meme.

Attached: ff3.jpg (720x1024, 78K)

You're a fucking idiot. Some 400 dollar headphone sounds maybe 2 percent better than a sennheiser 598 or something. You stupid fucking whale.

There is a difference between a $50 sound system made in China and a $2000 one made in Japan.
There is very little difference above that.

Why would i get powered speakers instead of passive

I bougt a pair 250€ of bookshelf speakers that I use as pc speakers. (Checked for the best speaker for my purposes, and they are supposed to perform just as 500+ speakers)
The general audio is great, but the issue I have is classical music, its the only music I listen to, and I notice that the sound is not natural, but that there seems to be a problem with the right amount of bass, cant adjust it correctly without using software.
In the end its good enought but it bothers me from time to time.

But would I buy high end audio products? Only if I have money over that I need to get rid of.

10$ speakers are defenetly not 80%, would give them 50% max. (If you dont count the missing bass)
The 10$ speakers i tested and own, are just there to improve the horrible laptop speakers, which are a mere 10%

based.

I can't find it. But there was an edit with him and Ed, Edd n Eddy theme song.

Attached: ChrisR_1.png (1280x720, 663K)

$50 speaker would give you 90% of quality of $10000 speaker.

Only if you get a good 2.1 system if you get the wrong or a 2.0 then you obly get 70-80%

(Btw, this may not apply to the standard user, i have a very good and fine hearing, so i easly get anoyed by small errors)

Is this the audio thread?

>you probably can't even hear 17khz(note: youtube cuts off at 16khz)
it's called being an adult, only kids and millennials can really hear anything past that - or shut-in soys that've never been to concert in their life or done anything fun.

This. Get something like Audio-Technica M50X, and I promise that it’s at least 95% as good as the world’s best headphones.

>tfw you have a nice audio set up you're satisfied with and can upgrade but choose not to

Attached: 9f7.png (500x377, 276K)

literally unironically kys

actually it's 91.302%
what kind of inept autist are you?

they're approximately compatible; the 650A has a more refined neutral sound and has slightly less power than the BEE; the BEE is better at dynamics for loud rock

Sounds I’d wave frequencies. It’s not hard for a cheap speaker to replicate these frequencies exactly. Where most of the money is spent on quality of sound is minimizing electronic interference from the DAC source to the speaker itself, but mostly in the quality of the speaker assembly including the housing itself to minimize any vibrations that isn’t the sound itself to eliminate as much distortion as possible

>Sounds I’d wave frequencies.
>It’s not hard for a cheap speaker to replicate these frequencies exactly.

What

Sorry. Sound is just vibration frequencies. The frequencies are known and even cheap speakers are pretty decent at outputting the sound waves, which is why on even shit earbuds you can understand words on playback and stuff. But they are so cheap and stressed, everything inside the bud housing is also vibrating and the speaker itself is outputting too high of volume for its design so it sounds really shitty and distorted

its a meme

Attached: audiowhyle.jpg (1280x853, 321K)