If you were teleported to 1980 with nothing but a thinkpad, charger, an eGPU setup, and a Kali Linux install...

If you were teleported to 1980 with nothing but a thinkpad, charger, an eGPU setup, and a Kali Linux install, how much damage could you do?

here's some inspiration: youtube.com/watch?v=q0jbNMJh2X0

Attached: qwe_download.jpg (474x317, 28K)

I could sell the thinkpad and GPU to separate silicon manufacturing and development companies and live comfortably off the fortune without hacking anything.

No damage at all... How do I better myself?

But you'd get v&'d within a week.

Fine, I'd do nothing and invest in Apple and eventually bitcoin and still not do anything illegal

but you'd be old and grey by the time that came around.

this question is fucking retarded

a thinkpad wouldn't even be able to interface with these machines and terminals, let alone 'hack' them.
You wouldn't be able to do any fucking damage at all.

I would take over the world with Gentoo

i mean, the X201 has a phone jack.

>now, where's the zip disquette dongle port?

and that's where your journey ends

This. I'd then invest in M$, then Yahoo, and then the FAANGs.

Well networked machines weren't ubiquitous then. Some random off the street wouldn't have any access to them at all. Well, maybe if you went wardialing like . How someone teleported in from the future can manage to hook up a modem and make several thousand phone calls searching for something that answers with modem handshake tones is left as an exercise for the reader.

Know how I'd cause damage? I'd start a cult. I'd bring a text-only copy of wikipedia on my laptop and stand on a soapbox screaming about how "[public figure] will die come [date in the near future]! God wills it!" And then he'd die on schedule and people would think I was the fucking messiah. If I got a big enough following before I damaged the timeline too much and lost my predictive power, I bet I could start a holy war.

You mean cracking, not hacking.

I'd smash Bill Gates in the head with the chinkpad until he died.

I would use the computer to write harry potter.

I've got dibs on the Twilight series.

tell george lucas to never, ever sell to disney, no matter what
print out as much as I could from locally-stored wikipedia
if I had advance notice of my teleportation, I'd also bring every patent record I could download
sell shit off at a trickle, invest in apple, give the government more specific intelligence about 9/11 and see if I could link it to israel...

>most systems barely even hooked up to telephone lines let alone ethernet networks
>systems that did integrate onboard ethernet were typically workstations that the skiddoware Kali ships with wouldn't even be able to identify properly let alone pop exploits on
>provided you could even get the shitpad to talk to anything on an early ethernet standard
>or even find a place with proper network access points to begin with
Did you even bother to think this through before you posted it?
I'd play some shitty video games with the eGPU and then off myself because I don't exist yet and wouldn't be able to legally function in society, or just throw it out and use my knowledge of the future to my advantage.
All they'd do is look at it and see a bunch of shit they already knew how to build implemented with a more complex manufacturing process it won't tell them anything about.

thinking is what you guys are for

>thinking is what you guys are for
what did he mean by this?

Jow Forums is not a helpdesk.

post yfw modern computing in the 80's with no internet or social media existing.

Attached: 1530929546304.gif (400x296, 443K)

Attached: glaugh.jpg (500x370, 59K)

It's not like it's a test question, I thought it would be a nice break from the OS/GPU war shitposting.

Attached: 1525487256687.jpg (960x960, 75K)

>go back with kali
Go back with a real ganoo plus leenoox OS. go public, convince them that foss is the way of the future and provided all this amazing tech. Short MS. Die rich
Not if your exposure is high enough that it can't be done without attention

man now I want to see some Jow Forums sperg go back in time and try to convince a BSD shop to run some fake Unix shitware built for toy computers
>b-but it's m-m-more e-ethical, s-see...

could give Stallman the idea for the GPL four years earlier. And include the patent provisions and the like from GPL3 straight from the start. Might make the General Public Virus virulent enough to kill off some of the pests we've dealt with in the past 38 years.

>implying that literally anything in kali would be relevant to 1980's computers
the most you can do is probably some phone memes
and have fun in the arcades

You're right. Invest in Microsoft and enron. Make sure to pull out of Enron right after they get really big.

without the Internet, the GPL and modern "Free Software" in general are as much of a non-starter in 1980 as they were in 1984 no matter how many copy-pasted FSF talking points you can regurgitate

Probably nothing you retard. Kali Linux isn't designed to do anything to computer systems from the 80s. The industry was much more diverse back then with lots of different architects and programming language. The scenario is just idiotic. I'd probably do nothing becuase I don't have a social security number or a birth certificate. I couldn't even buy any stocks.