/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find more detailed videos on YouTube)
youtube.com/watch?v=9M2-UIwWguw[Open][Open]
>How to install Win7 on new CPUs
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses - e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g. photo editing, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

Overclocking
>Use PBO on Ryzen. Legacy overclocking is defunct on Ryzen 2#00X CPUs.youtube.com/watch?v=FC3fsVk9Sss[Open][Open]
CPUs
>R3 2200G - Bare minimum gaming (dGPU optional)
>R5 2400G - Consider IF on sale
>R5 2600/X - Good multithreaded work use CPUs
>i5 8400/8600k - Best midrange gaming
>i7-8700K - Best for 1080p gaming, but most expensive when factoring in delid, high-end cooler, etc.
>R7 2700/X - Best high-end gaming/mixed usage on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

Motherboards
>Only Z300 series boards can utilize fast memory with Intel

RAM
>8GB - Enough for most gaming use
>16GB - Standard for heavy use
>32GB - If you have to ask, you don't need this much
>Current CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 2933MHz+ is ideal

Graphics cards
>GPU prices have gone down
1080p
>RX 580 or 1060 6GB are standard 1080p 60fps+ options
>1050Ti or RX560 for lower settings 1080p, or older games
>GTX 1070Ti if seeking higher fps & you have a CPU to match it
1440p
>1070Ti preferably with Gsync
>GTX 1080Ti if seeking higher fps & you have a CPU + monitor to match
2160p(4K)
>Titan V

Storage
>Consider StoreMi
>Consider getting a larger SSD (better GB/$) instead of small SSD & large HDD
>2TB HDDs are barely more $ than 1TB
>M.2 is a form factor, NOT a performance standard

Monitors
>Always consider FreeSync with AMD cards
>Lock to 72fps on 144hz non-Gsync monitors with Nvidia cards to prevent tearing on more demanding games
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING

Previous:

Attached: 1530571876662.jpg (1024x831, 104K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=68vSu81zSWc
gamersnexus.net/guides/3053-vega-64-vs-vega-56-clock-for-clock-shader-differences
pcpartpicker.com/list/xpYPzY
youtube.com/watch?v=gFDV-Tr4fb8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's not even at the bump limit.

>that pic

how many fat old dicks does she eat to keep her job in modern misogynist Japanese work environment ?

The anti-Vega shill just wanted to beat everyone else to the buzzer
youtube.com/watch?v=68vSu81zSWc

Attached: 14-131-733-Z01.jpg (640x480, 46K)

>costs as much as a gtx 1080

>it and a Freesync monitors costs $150-$300 less than a GTX 1080 + Gsync monitor, while matching/beating 1080 performance for the same power consumption
Yeah, it really makes you think, I agree.

Even in Ausfaggot land, Vega56 is on par with 1070.

>10-15% slower, consumes far more power, runs far hotter, cooler options limited and generally look worse

Attached: 1497581323922.jpg (770x1024, 97K)

On par in Price*

Latest test has Vega 64 10% ahead of the GTX 1080, 16% behind the 1080ti, and everyone with a brain knows that Vega 56 is clock-for-clock EXACTLY the same as Vega 64 performance.
>gamersnexus.net/guides/3053-vega-64-vs-vega-56-clock-for-clock-shader-differences

You're objectively wrong. Have fun being retarded.

Attached: wine = fine.png (1845x1371, 746K)

Whelp, the shitposters are adamant at turning this into another "stop liking what I don't like" thread.
Please view and report back.

cute

That benchmark uses old GTX 1080 data

Attached: untitled-2.png (677x847, 40K)

Thoughts on FX 8350?

>RX 570 4GB, 50fps
>RX 480 8GB, 33fps
thunkin so hard here

garbage for a new build. Only buy if you can get it used, working, with cooler, and cheap.

Hi Jow Forums, I don't want to start another thread (yet) so I'll hijack this one because the info might be useful for someone looking for a GPU. I'll fuck off if this is not appropriate but I may have a faulty GPU/PSU at hand so this may be a warning.

I've got MSI GTX1080 Armour and yesterday I experienced something weird. When I was watching yt at some point my GPU started emitting weird noise - I have had coil whine but this one was different, more intense and at higher frequency. Temperature was also unusually high, almost at 60C. I noticed something was wrong when windows colour scheme was changed to basic. I admit I got scared and shut my PC down. Haven't peered inside my case yet but I guess I should do it just to check if there are any unusual marks on the GPU. I did spend half my day playing Total War: Warhammer 2 but I don't think that should matter.

Overall, I have no fucking idea what caused that and if it's going to be a one time event or must I send the card back (I've had it for almost a year - it was honestly the best choice available back then).

Couple other details:
- driver version 391.35

- PSU is Corsair CS 650W (CP-9020077-EU). By all accounts it should've been sufficient even with 7700k on board. Both CPU/GPU have not been clocked.

- case is Corsair Carbide 330R Titanium (CC-9011071-WW), aircooled

Attached: speccy afterburner.png (821x982, 297K)

We already tell people not to get the Armor models of GPUs.
Nothing new.

>no vega on gpu recs
Fucking intel shill thread

Not him but does the average person even care to do these tweakings? It's like buying a new car and then making a bunch of mods to make it run like another car. I'm assuming those who are asking 'do i buy this or that' have no idea or interest in doing any complicated stuff because if they did they would know better what to get and not ask here in the first place.

>Literally open the default AMD graphics control panel
>Type in 900mV and 1680MHz or there abouts
>Hit apply

OMG BUT CAN THE AVERAGE LAYMAN REALLY PERFORM THESE AVDANCED HACKER TWEAKS!?

>2 hour video to do two things
Yeah ok bro

>Not him but does the average person even care to do these tweakings?
I'm happy to concede, and have done many times previously in these threads, 1070ti exhibits better out of the box performance, where as the Vega56 can perform at least as well with a better value dynamic sync experience if you don't mind tweaking. Maybe something like this should be added in a more brief version to the OP?
>It's like buying a new car and then making a bunch of mods to make it run like another car.
You've just described a large portion of the car enthusiast community, including myself.
>I'm assuming those who are asking 'do i buy this or that' have no idea or interest in doing any complicated stuff because if they did they would know better what to get and not ask here in the first place.
Disagree wholeheartedly, and you make it seem as though tweaking GPUs and overclocking CPUs is unobtainable even to the kind of folk that may have half an idea, but again maybe mentioning something like "1070ti for great plug&play performance, Vega56 for great tweeking potential" might be a good disclaimer for each option.
Pretty much this.

Can you suggest me a nice second hand xeon for hedt usage? I need about 12 cores and 32 GB RAM, I'm looking at older dual-Xeon servers but I don't know how well I could transform them into a desktop computer. DDR3 ram would be fine BTW, doesn't have to be DDR4. I need it for nested virtualization

What exactly makes Vega cards so much worse out of the box?
Cheap Freesync is tempting, but apparently the cards suck?

used corsair h110i (been used for 11 months) or new dark rock 4?
i wont overclock, aesthetics matters.

A tutorial to convert old Xeons to desktops would be nice. Bump for this.

You'd be looking at 2011-3 socket at least. Most budget Xeons are hexcores for X58 and X79 motherboards.

Wait
I completely missed the dual socket bit. I'm sure something along the lines of LGA1366 with a pair of X5650s would do the trick.
My experience is adapting Xeons to consumer chip HEDTs.

Acer x34
Meme monitor or quality monitor if I can get it less than $1000AUD?

Attached: Acer-X34-Predator-G-SYNC-Ultra-wide-Monitor-Overview-2.jpg (1600x1025, 42K)

for a 1440@144hz, it's about the best monitor you can get for under $1000au

I'd put my sushi in her roll.

That's expensive. How much do monitors usually go down at sales?
Cheapest was like $1099 at PCCASEGEAR

I see. I definitely missed that when I was doing my research.

What happens if I stick this 2gb ram next to my 2x4 3000mhz ram Ryzen build?

Attached: IMG_20180715_115040~02.jpg (3241x2340, 1.65M)

should i wait for turing?

That aren't "so much worse". You're talking like 5-15%. They're still good. You can just get even more out of them compared to competing cards by tweaking them.
They're still more value for the money with Freesync compared to Gsync simply stock.

dark rock 4 looks better, tho

Buying 65nm now days is retarded. You'll spend way more in power than you'll save on the parts even if you get the parts for free.

E5-2697 v2 I guess? But it costs basically what a 12 core Threadripper costs...
E5-1650 is a lot cheaper, 32nm and much less cache etc.

try it and see

Asking again Which is the better option
Buying a used cpu and a new graphics card or buying a new cpu and a used graphics card?

Cute slut

The one positive from some the Armour cards is a lot of them share identical PCB design with the Gaming X cards, just the cooler is completely inadequate for the most part.
Great card if you're looking at aftermarket water or air heatsink options, but left wanting otherwise.

used cpu for new graphic, if you are into gaming

I'd sooner go a second hand CPU. If it works, it works. GPUs can be masked up for a sale and fail not long after. I'd still buy graphics cards in person, but be aware there's a lot more to fail on them.

DDR4 and DDR3 RAM sticks are physically incompatible, so you might destroy the RAM slot.

Attached: Form factors of DDR.png (575x865, 34K)

Cheapest I've found it was another site going for $1079
But I may know a guy at Harvey Norman that might be able to knock it down to just under $1000
maybe

How does Harvey Norman usually handle haggling?
I haven't gone to one in years since the offering prices aren't always so awful.

Yeah I may have to explore that avenue. I've a question, would changing the fans fix the coil whine issue or is that buried deeper within the card?

Kinda shit but like I said, I know a guy.

Hard to say without seeing the card. It could be a fan if one of them isn't spinning, or running very slow, or it could be a fault in the PCB.
They're usually up for a haggle if something's not already on sale. The sales people there know exactly how much they can discount a product for you before they don't turn a profit. Also worth haggling other smaller stuff into the bargain like games or peripherals and the like.
Just don't expect to get whatever 50/60 month interest free deal they may have at the time on top though. They'll usually only budge if you can pay outright.

coil whine is really random, for me putting on a water block made the whine even worse than it was before

hey pls halp T_T

wait (tm)

parts for my new build will be coming this week, i was wondering what distro or whatever u pep want to call it will work out of the box with a 2200g. no ubuntu me dont like pls. also this will be my transition to linux so im gonna force my self to learn it (will have dual boot w10 cus y not). and if theres no distro yet thats compatible how do i make my way to update the kernel on -reccomended distro-?

I was wondering if I could buy a 1070ti for my PC without having to buy anything else. Just install it and be working fine no problems. Here's my PC, also includes 8gb of ram.

pcpartpicker.com/list/xpYPzY

>security server
>5 cameras
>24/7 operation
>ideally automated weekly archival of footage
What sort of computer would I buy for this sort of set up?
If I were to get something like a Ryzen 2400G, I could skip on even buying a cheap dGPU for generic video output. However, I don't know how well a 2400G would do for the constant video, OS, and video transcoding.
I have zero clue when it comes to building a computer, I had my only computer built by a friend, and will hopefully be building my own when new GPUs come out. In the meantime, though, I've been meaning to do a security/storage server. Fairly small business.
Money isn't a problem, since it'll be a business expense, but I don't want some over-the-top ultimate gayman RGB PC sort of meme.
Would somebody more knowledgeable than myself be able and willing to assist me in formulating a build?
How do I even look up benchmarks for this sort of thing? Sorry for being retarded.

>Should I wait for Turing?
Answer the following questions first:
What GPU do you have right now?
Are you a patient person?
Are you rich?

Me personally I have GTX970 and it can play everything I throw at it @1440p. Granted I want the higher frames but I am not so desperate for it thus I am waiting for Turing.

>quad core i5
Burn that thing

Are you cardless now? Buy something second hand to tide you over.

this might seem dumb but how do you know a mobo will fit the case? just by being atx? what's the difference between having a atx mid tower case and a full tower? just the space for cables?

XFX RX 580 4G or Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+ 4G?
The 8G model is 60$ more, is it worth the extra?

Your CPU will bottleneck the shit out of that. And you've got a shit ass chipset board to boot, so even a secondhand 7700 probably won't boost effectively in that thing.

Sapphire all day any day, the cards run cool as ice. Also anything less than 8GB will give you trouble and will have no resale value at all.

6yo psu should I keep it and save money or do I buy a new one with the rest of the build?

Whichever is cheapest. The XFX GTS actually has a better PCB than the Nitro, afaik. Though the fans and heatsink aren't as good.
If you can save $60 getting 4Gb, I'd do that assuming you're just playing at 1080p and not 1440p.

lol. You'll bottleneck anything beyond your current GPU. Hell, you'll even bottleneck the RX480 in some CPU demanding games.

Post your build faggot, how the fuck are we supposed to know what to recommend?

470€ for the triple fan gigabyte 1070ti? It's the cheapest non meme brand i can, get others cost 500+. I dont care much about noise as long as it won't be hot.

will manjaro work? also what manjaro is better? kde or xfce?

Attached: 4447666-3359949699-maxre.jpg (1385x808, 71K)

Some websites say that it shouldn't be if I would play at 1080p. But the whole reason I even want a 1070ti is to play at 4k, So bottleneck would be there? Would I have to basically build a new PC all together?

I need a controller with paddles ,I'm clawgripping a wired 360 and I still don't have as much control as I'd like over my game ,what are my options? I only know of the xbox elite controller which is at least 100 euros that's more than 4 times as much as the wired 360 just for paddles and better build quality.

You're going to bottleneck for sure. As soon as the Ryzen 5 CPUs first launched in April of 2017, it became STUPID to use an i5 in any build, because for the same price as a 4 core, 4 thread i5 7500, you could have had an AMD Ryzen 5 1600 with 6 cores and 12 threads
Games are currently designed for 8 core CPUs thanks to consoles, so if you don't have at least 8 threads, you're gonna bottleneck the shit out of GPUs in games.

Bottom line, upgrade your CPU before anything else.
Gaming at 4K with an i5? LOL. not gonna happen.

Unless it's faulty or it can't keep up with your new build then you should change it.

Gotta buy a monitor too, but don't think I wanna spend more than 200$ on a monitor and I doubt I'll get a decent 1440p at that price.

So yes, playing at 1080p.

What impact does the extra VRAM have anyway?

Listen, I hate Intel's Judaism as much as the next guy, but an i5 would be enough for 4k gaming.
Skip to 2:40
youtube.com/watch?v=gFDV-Tr4fb8

>games are currently designed for 8 core CPUs

Attached: 1518936374656.png (211x239, 12K)

>The Xbox One and PS4 don't exist

reminder that Vega is fine

Attached: vega 64 saphire.jpg (1918x1278, 834K)

i'm reading that if I buy 2x4gb ram then in the future there's no guarantee it'll work if I buy an extra 2x4gb when/if eventually 16gb will be the standard in desktops, is it true?
(ofc assuming it's the same model as the original 2x4gb pair)

best manjaro version?

>consoles

Attached: soy.png (644x800, 15K)

Can confirm.
I have that exact card in you pic and can do 2k144 pretty easily on most games.

What
>websites say
"on average" it's fine. But averages don't change that it performs like shit in some games just because you average in the games it's fine.
Even 5 year old games like MetroLL, Crysis3, etc, don't maintain a consistent 60+fps minimums with at least 8 threads. Not even with a 5GHZ overclocked 7600k. Your CPU bottlenecks the RX480 in those games and many others.

There's some pretty nice 1440p 75hz monitors around $250-$325.
>What impact does the extra VRAM have anyway?
It's needed for higher resolution textures, frame buffers, etc.

Most AAA games are console ports.

I'm excited for a lot of things in my new PC but I think finally having an SSD will be the biggest change. It might sound kind of retarded but I've been partly avoiding programming because my current computer shits itself opening visual studio.

so are nVme faster than normal m2 ssds?

pls respond

You're looking for PCIe m.2's. WD black, 970 Evo etc. I don't know if crucial or Seagate have one yet. The difference in read/write between PCIe and Sata m.2 drives is pretty obvious.

Is 287€ a good price for the 8GB Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Nitro+ Special Edition? More importantly, is it a decent version of the RX580?

Attached: 1500799561412.jpg (404x270, 32K)

>More importantly, is it a decent version of the RX580?
It's the best version of the RX580

>8GB Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Nitro+ Special Edition
Have we gone too far?

Attached: 1504386347696.jpg (1205x1032, 190K)

should i buy PX-128M8SeGN or MZ-76E250B/EU

Itachi could beat Madara you fucking weeb trash

What about the price? Is it justified?

Allright, first time NAS for me, what should I do?
>Build SFF as NAS
Never did this, how hard is it?
>Start with some small 1-2HDD NAS
For example Synology DS216se for 130€.
>More expensive NAS
For example Synology DS218 for 255€.
>HDD
Also what HDD should I use, first thought is HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB.
>Budget & Location
The least possible, maybe 300€ but flexible. Location is Germany.

Idk, how are prices for other RX580 versions or 1060 6G?

Do amazon prime discounts offer a good deal on PC hardware? I haven't really followed the latest discounts but I got an 850 evo at around 110€ back min March, when every available retailer was selling it for about 130€. Should I keep an eye out for good deals or should I avoid giving € to Mr. Bezos?

Attached: Amazon-Prime-box.jpg (970x546, 85K)

The best, recent price was 255€ for the Gigabyte Radeon RX 580 Aorus 8G version. Pic related are some of the current prices. I'm getting a FreeSync monitor so the 1060 6G is out of the question but it costs about the same as the RX580 here.

Attached: file.png (1603x915, 121K)

isn't a refreshed (newer gen) 1060 a better deal than an rx 580 with 2 year old architecture? I'm not on nvidia's side but isn't buying a newer gen 1060 6g equivalenta better idea?

They consume a ridiculous amount of power compared to nvidia cards while barely achieving slightly worse performance.

The undervolting meme is highly dependent on silicon lottery - not all vega chips will perform better undervolted (or else AMD would ship them like that in the first place).

If you want freesync and amd card just #waitfornavi and pray they finally manage to release something not shit.

Inb4 triggered namefag shill reply

Gigabyte is shit, don't.
The Nitro+ SE is probably the best RX580 and 286€ seems fair.
The cheapest good RX580 would be the XFX GTS for 275€.
GTX 1060 alternative would be 269€.
Idk exactly but I think RX580 now has the edge over 1060 and comes with Freesync so overall I'd say yes it's a good deal.
Maybe still worth to wait some time since GPU prices have been going down and probably will go down even further.

pls respond

Is the stock cooler for 2600X sufficient for PBO or should I invest in something better?

>but le performance per watt