/hsg/ - Home server general

My last one caught me sleeping edition.

--> Quick Questions Quick Replies Why would I want a NAS/Homeserver?
If you ask why then you don't need it.

>I want a NAS/HTPC/Plex what should I get?
RPi3 or Odroid XU4/HC1. Odroid upper models has USB 3 and USB bus separated from the Ethernet one.

>B-But muh ARM
Then check the onboard x86 like J4105B-ITX, J4205B-ITX or J4205-ITX. All of them have SATA and USB 3.

>What's the best [software] for doing [ask]?
Specify you question and elaborate. If you want help put something from your side.

>Which disk is better for my homeserver?
The general opinion minus some details are that WD Greens are enough if you deactivate parkdrive, and WD Red are Green overpriced. Also Toshiba and HGST are pretty good.

---> FAQ & Tips News phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Intel-DRM-Linux-4.19-Final
Updated Debian 9: 9.5 released
>debian.org/News/2018/20180714

---> Old Thread

Attached: wallhaven-454354.jpg (5472x3648, 3.18M)

Other urls found in this thread:

crux-arm(.)nu/Main/Documentation
connotech.com/crux_arm64_odroidc2.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'd like to make an Ejabberd server, how can properly set it up? (With file sharing, MAM, OTR/OMEMO, etc.)

Good Op

Why do you want ejabberd if there is prosody? It's much easier to set up.

since I can't install Ampache without config errors, what other media streaming server(s) should I try?

Is there an open source alternative for AWS? One that I can run on my own server?

How do I get esxi to autostart my VM's after a system reboot?

right click the VM -> autostart

Not working senpai

You mean like OpenStack?

Yup. Thanks user

Attached: 902.jpg (1000x800, 57K)

Install CRUX, now available on ARM boards crux-arm(.)nu/Main/Documentation

Odroid C2 installation guide connotech.com/crux_arm64_odroidc2.html

I want to build a NAS with a shit ton of drive slots.
Too poor for storinator. Can I just get an Odroid and hook it up to a drive backplane?

>a shit ton of drive slots
You better get one of those Odroids with USB3 then like XU4 or HC2.

Thanks user, I can figure out that portion of the hardware but I'm unsure about drive configuration.
I don't really want to buy a RAID enclosure because I'll be using ZFS. How do you connect the drives?

Sorry but the only way I know of is to buy drive enclosures, so maybe you want to go for something else.

As Odroid XU4 user myself, I can't see why you say "shit ton of disk" and "Odroid XU4" on same phrase. You will be able only to hookup 3 disks, and one of them will be USB 2.0. Either you get a raid card like the other user said, or get something with more ports. If you're low on funds check the OP again under "muh arm" section.

Yeah I have a USB 3.0 4TB drive I don't use at all, think I'll just hook that up.

If that's the setup odroid will suit you up perfectly. More than 2 disks on odroid is just not possible.

I'm considering on building a new file server into Node 804 case. Are there cheaper cases with more 3.5 HDD bays? Most reasonably priced mobos have only 6 sata slots and raid cards seem to have either 4 or 8 lanes so 14 drive bays would be optimal.

What are some decent and affordable raid cards? I don't need speed. I just need to add more drives and have some redundancy. If SAS interface has 4 lanes, do I only need a single SAS to 4 Sata connectors adapter to connect 4 SATA drives to that raid card?

Attached: node.jpg (1000x1000, 107K)

Got two. Combined w/Freenas they "just work". And work rather well I might add. 5 bays, with 12TB drives on the market, well the math is easy to figure. But for the moment I'm happy with the storage layout I've got now.

Attached: HP-ProLiant-MicroServer-N40L-4GB-RAM-AMD-Turion.jpg (400x378, 16K)

What would you use this for?

I use the RSV-L4500 – 4U for everything 15 3.5 bays
but I am looking into 6U units now

>What are some decent and affordable raid cards?
When I needed one I bought a used Dell PERC H310 IIRC, then flashed it to different firmware so that it now acts like a regular SATA controller for up to 8 drives with no hardware RAID shit (since I'm using software anyway).

There are plenty of cheapo SATA controller cards out there and they might be appropriate if you don't really care about the speed, but the issue is that I've read about a lot of issues with them and went for this version instead. You can find used server hardware like this for pretty damn cheap, I've got 3 HDDs on mine and it's been working flawlessly for years.

I have a Gen10 and I'm pretty happy with it. Some weird things from HP (firmware related) but mine has 4 + an extra bay. So I'm right now at 2x3TB + 2x4TB + 120GB SSD.

Anybody using a raspberry pi with read-only root?
Why every tutorial says to remove dbus?
It breaks so many things systemd related and doesn't seem to do any write

So currently I am running FreeNAS from an ASRock Pro3 Z77, an E3-1230, 16GB and an LSI 9201 16e.
The motherboard does not support headless boot, so I have an old small dedicated GPU in there occupying a much needed PCI-E.

What I currently got is 2 Dell Powerconnect 5548 and a Dell Force 10 S4810P, 4 IBM EXP3000, 42U rack, cables everywhere, LSI 9206 16e.
I plan to order some Mellanox NICs and more cables from fs.com.

Now the thing is I need to get rid of the dedicated GPU.
So either I change the motherboard to something like an Intel S1200BTL or I get something like HP DL380P G8 or Fujitsu RX300 S7 for some more power and more PCI-E slots.
The HP one is something like 300-450€, the Fujitsu maybe as low as 120€ to 300€ and the board is 40-50€.

I am currently leaning towards the Fujitsu, but I have never workerd or even touched one of those before, so I wonder how they are or if I should stay off them.

Seedbox and homelabbing.

If you feel like bumping the thread, you can always go into detail.

I just read that as sexbots and honeycomb

Here's a repost in hope that it'll get a reply unlike the last thread :(

I just got one of these, hp msl2024, 2x lto4 tape drives, i am unable to figure out what library manager to use in order to make use of the damn thing

Anybody point me in the right direction?

Attached: hpmsl2024.jpg (1384x749, 86K)

plex?
increase priority

why not just pick up a used optiplex for £50? better performance, more expandability

Wow, That looks cool. How much did you pay?

>RSV-L4500
you're better off getting a 3 or 4u chassis like if you are going freenas/btrfs, better to get a HBA or a raid card that's capable of passing the drives straight through. if speed is not a problem you can buy a backplane multiplexor which can reduce the sata requirements.

gen8 with shoondoggy mounts, 8 drive comfyness

Attached: 1509872018965.jpg (2024x1518, 1.23M)

get one of the x1 riser cards that bitcoin miners use and poke it at the back of the case, that'll free up the spot and a LP gpu will be easy to hide away

Is seagate still rubbish at making HDD last time I've had them both HDD crashed and where unable to start making a clicking noise. Looking to get new drives for my NAS and Seagate are much cheaper then WD don't want to pay for the WD brand

That will still only be one slot while I need at least two more unless I exchange my xeon aswell for one that has an iGPU

nah, i mean use the x1 pci-e on that board for your gpu,

Attached: 1526014751291.jpg (640x640, 76K)

the only other igpu xeons are the 12x5 v2's

What is the consensus on using BTRFS for a 4 disk RAID setup?

it's fine

I really like the idea of online data scrubbing

That's a little cramped isn't it? Some more pics if you don't mind?

It's quite tight with the cabling, need to be careful when taking the case off and putting it back on, can only use SSD's on the rear 2 so it'll fit behind the backplate post. HDD's are a little thicker

only got this slightly wider view. google schoondoggy mounts for some better videos of the setup.

Attached: 1525063747589.jpg (2024x1518, 1015K)

Veeam B&R

its lto4 so it is a piece of shit and belongs in the trash

stop buying shitty desktop hard drives

>schoondoggy mounts
So is just some modding to add disks at the sides, if I got it right. Not bad.

I do need an htpc to stream remote h.264 10bits videos to my TV. What's the cheapest 4k compatible I can get?

That still does not solve the problem.
Two slots occupied.
Two more are needed, but only one available.

i have a samba share on windows. something like \\192.168.xx\share

is it possible to create an alias for the server's ip from windows? so it reads \\anime\share or something

LSI HBA EBAY

So Mellanox or Chelsio for 10G SFP+ NIC?

>Previous thread died with 60 replied
>Questions like are unironically posted
Holy shit just let this travesty die, everyone should just go back to stupid questions or make some fucking raspberry pi poorfag thread or something. These threads are consistently a joke.

On FreeNAS I basically create a sub folder and when setting the net drive I directly link to the sub folder that way Windows shows the folders name.

Wasn't really fond of the mount as folder option because its specific to that machine. I don't want to do mapped network drives either because they're slow when the server is offline

netbios name seems to work, but it applies globally to all smb shares. I wish I could have a different one per share

>Getting mad over people asking questions and being poorfags

yeah, very welcoming to new posters trying to get into servers

>everything is set up
>nothing to tinker with
uhh what now

Rackspace.

I'm in the same boat. Everything I need is already done. Last thing I did was put a 40mm fan on my LSI 9211. A bit bored. I know there's tons of stuff I could do, but none of it really fits my use case, which is just having it act as a giant file store.

>Not running your home server on OSX Tiger server edition

It's like you guys aren't even living in 2006, come on!

There's a reason why they're cheap and have shitty warranties and support. If that's not enough to convince you that they're shit, remember that they actively have staff posting in Jow Forumshomelab either doing damage control, trying to hype products, or planting comments about how they've never had a failed Seagate and others are shit instead.

Avoid Seagate if you value your data.

how come this thread isn't up as often as the others, it seems /comfy/. Is there a buyers guide to this sort of thing similar to that of /TPG/ just instead of a model look for this CPU or something?

Just bought one myself off ebay for $25

/thread

if that user doesnt even know what DNS is he doesnt belong here. also
>samba share
>on windows

>im a retard who is the living embodiment of the dunning kruger effect because I dont know why backblaze is retarded

Because I have other things to do than argue with the retards here, and if im not doing that this thread dies because it is full of retards who have nothing interesting to say so they dont get (You)s

You can get Mellaxnox ConnectX 2 dual 40GbE for $15 on ebay

>I know there's tons of stuff I could do, but none of it really fits my use case, which is just having it act as a giant file store.
I thought I was the only one. Glad to know.

This is kinda sad

just now discovered this case and it seems to suit my exact needs. Shame its mATX though

Got a half height HP 8300, i5-3470, 20GB ram, 220GB ssd with a 3TB data drive. Mainly use it as a desktop, but it runs so quietly and with such low power draw I leave it on.

Service-wise it runs MPD, SSH, apache, asterisk, whatever shitty projects I'm working on. I've got my own dyn-dns running on a couple of super cheap vps's, will get email sorted as soon as I can be arsed.

Definitely recommend hosting yourself, it's a lot more hassle to get set up, but in doing so you really get an idea of how the services you're running work. I pay about £30 for both my vps's, which is almost the same as I was paying no-ip to do just dns.

>You can get Mellaxnox ConnectX 2 dual 40GbE for $15 on ebay
Yeah are not those 10GbE and 40Gb Infiniband?
Also that would be annoying to connect to my SFP+ switch.

Additionaly this was more an opinion thing like which do you prefer.

Normal internal 8TB drives are super expensive here. So I'm looking into shucking drives. Not considering 6TB drives as the cheapest one which is a Toshiba MD04ACA600 is $195 USD

I can find the Seagate Expansion 8TB with the ST8000DM004 or the WD Mybook 8TB with the WD80EZZX for around $215 USD
Which one should I go for?
The benefit of the Seagate ST8000DM004 is that sometimes the internal version goes on sale for $225, normal price for this drive is $255 USD
As far as I'm aware of the ST8000DM004 is supposedly better than the ST8000AS0002. I haven't touched newer Seagate drives in a while as all but my last 500GB Seagate drive that I use in cold storage have failed. If I do go for the ST8000DM004 I'd wait for the internal version to go on discount.

I've had painful experience with the WD EZRZ drives which can't have their head park disabled, the power on count just keeps rising at an exponential rate and CrystalDisk already shows Caution under 10K hours. I also have a few WD Black FAEX drives fail fairly recently so I can't really have a brand preference anymore.

I'm not too concerned about write speeds, they are going to be used as JBOD for archival purposes, write once, read fairly often. Currently most of my drives are used in multiple 8 bay USB 3.0 enclosures as I don't have the funds to build a dedicated NAS and don't have other computers on the network anyways. Looking to consolidate multiple older 1~2TB drives onto 8TB ones to relegate them to less important tasks such as thrash or buffer drives as my fleet of 500GBs are dwindling in number.

Toshiba sells the MD06ACA800V for $260 USD
WD RED 80EFZX drives are $270 They don't sell 8TB Blues here.

How

>---> FAQ & Tips

Thoughts on this case overall? Looking to buy one.

Yep, you buy a kit for like $40 and can mount the drives like shown in the pic, then use use any generic raid card and hook them all up.

Oh, then you're always going to need another board then. Eh, I'd go for the HP, you can pick up g6's for pretty cheap. don;'t need a lot of compute for storage.

there's 10bge ones on there for $30, still use ethernet so will work fine connecting to your switch.

just out of curiosity, what switch are you using?

Nice if you can find them, i think they are EOL, or hard to get in the EU for reasonable prices anyway.

What should i look for when buying a server off ebay? How are these types of machines for
Virtualization
Dedicated gaming servers
Web servers

Just buy any old used drives off ebay and jbod them all. If you have enough redundancy and good health reporting tools you can save half of what new drives cost. just keep a few big drives as hotswap. or some of the WD refurb drives are decent if you want a years warranty

Why not just use afraid for dyn-dns? It's free.

lads ive found a 42u Enterprise HP rack that I need shit to fill with

It will center around my r710, what's the golden rack mount storage solution?

also use aruba.it if you want a cheap vps, they are $1 a month.

I use it as a cheap VPN

I'm not situated in the US, also Amazon doesn't ship to my country lol.

I used to buy white label and OEM WD drives but they only have the EZRZ versions now and unfixable head parking on those fucking suck.

Yesterday I had 2 mirror arrays (2 sets of 2 dynamic disks) using windows software RAID suddenly drop off. They became unavailable and were listed as "foreign" in the partition manager. I since replace the SATA expansion card they were plugged into, but even then, the arrays were "foreign". The arrays only became usable once more when I used "import foreign dynamic disks" option.

Any reason why this would happen? I've since made up to date backup if both arrays to an independent 8TB disk, but it still has me concerned. Pic rated is my server. I've since added 2x 140mm fans (1 on side panel, one in back as exhaust) to attempt to alleviate heat on the expansion cards. I also turned up the speed of the 2x 140mm fans in front so the hard drives cool down a bit because they were scorching hot to the touch.

Attached: Server.jpg (2048x1236, 1.35M)

whats the country and amazon got to do with it?
ezrz are reds right? the ones in the refurbed mybooks are blues now

>I dont know what breakout cables are

Attached: quadwire_orange_fan_out_0.jpg (1200x797, 80K)

Ebay isn't available here either.
EZRZs are basically 5400rpm Blues as far as I know, some people say they are rebranded greens. I know for sure that the head parking problem can't be fixed on them as wdidle3 doesn't pick them up.

Mybooks come with EZAZs now which have the 3.3v reset where you have to cover up 3 sata pins.

This, lets be /friendly/ and /comfy/.

Do programming.

Well, the OP does talk about some but would be good to have a comparison chart. Strawpoll?

The first is to help OP and save the questions and answers for the next threads, we can also save the questions themselves.

Ctrl-F ? gives 44 hits. Someone has a lot of work in front of them. As shown in /cyb/ the payoff is pretty good.

Tell me the questions you guys think are more asked or relevant and I will be adding them gradually. Also for the people who ask about a buying guide, better ask for the needs since OP post has some tips already.

Why are you such a faggot that you know so little about servers that you have to have people spoon feed you questions?

Why do you feel the need to larp compulsively, that your shit boxes are servers?

Why dont you have real servers?

Why are you a namefag when you have zero to contribute?

Why dont you kill yourself?

Uh for a good faq id say
>can i use one of these for a gaming server
>how are home servers for web hosting/virtualization/ect
For buyers guide
>what types of cpus should i look for
>how much is the average rack
>why should i get a NAS optimized drive
>should i get a tower server or a rack server

The noobs need to understand they have alternatives. As in, why using a full NAS when you can set something more simple and cheaper? Is very important to show they can have a filesharing and media streaming server with just a SoC running a Debian or something.

holy shit, what backwards country doesnt have amazon or ebay?

>being overly aggressive
>getting mad at peoples setups
>telling people to kill themselves

Bixnoob, pls leave.

This would be a nice paste bin to add, since it is about pieces and not prebuilts.

This should be explained on OP or in another pastebin?

no

Hey bixnood I just want you to know that I appreciate you

ty user

Try /kill/ /yourself/