Redpill me on fedora

redpill me on fedora

Attached: fedora.png (1200x630, 44K)

No

It's a GNU/Linux distribution.

It's redhat unstable.

public beta for RHEL, the sole reason GNOME devs can do whatever the fuck they want, forced systemd upon us all. my first distro was redhat 7.2, but redhat kinda became the microsoft of open source.

Lightweigh, smooth and fast

Posted from my ThinkPad x220

They basically started open source.

It is upstream of RHEL. It has been around for 20 years.

It's entirely open source.

opensuse tumbleweed

bad for KDE and nvidia drivers

My Nvidia card is working just fine on Fedora 28

commercializing it, yeah.

ah must be just me then...
took me all fucking day to install, however on manjaro took like 5 minutes

Open source started when Ken Thompson, Dennis Ritchie, Kernighan and all wrote Unix and fought against AT&T Bell not use their work for profit. Open source became an official thing when RMS started GNU GPL.

RedHat wouldn't even be a thing much much later. Calling RedHat started open source is like saying Google started the internet.

>took me all fucking day to install,
Absolute state of Linux

You're confusing open source with free software.

First class SELinux support

I've never had any problems with kde/ (propriety) nvidia drivers.

Fedora Rawhide turned out to be the only distro that ran just fine on my hardware out of the box. That and Gentoo but I wouldn't consider a properly setup Gentoo unstable system an "out of the box experience".

You say that as if it's a bad thing

If it's good enough for Linus Torvalds, it's good enough for you.

No f2fs support
Won'tfix

But good kernel config otherwise.

>install Gentoo

I guess it depends. Installing Fedora can take 5 minutes. It'll probably take longer than it does to install from a USB 3.0 stick to a SSD if you're using a USB 2.0 stick and installing on a HDD. But all day? Unlikely unless you're using a Pentium 100 from last century.

It may take some time to customize it but this applies to any OS, I'm sure some Windows users spend hours picking their wallpaper

it's the distro you use if you actually want to get shit done in a linux environment

been using since fedora 7
pros: has rhel quality packages, 1st class gnome support, decent selinux support, top tier kernel config and you can have vanilla kernels from stable to mainline if you want (more bleeding edge than arch), decent cross-compilation support, 1st class virtualisation support
cons: user repositories are a joke, non-gnome spins are a joke, packages can be old or missing (mumble was missing for 2-3 releases a few years back for instance and outdated as hell before that), rpmfusion is great but user repositories being shit means if your software isn't in fedora or rpmfusions repos you're shit out of luck, nvidia driver support is non-existent and you need to rely on third party patches, other proprietary driver support for drivers not in the kernel will also be non-existent, packaging rpms is a nightmare, by supporting fedora you're supporting poettering ruining linux

it's probably one of the better well balanced distros out there

install gentoo

if you have a new laptop, use it. Do not use it on a server, though.

Install Suse

not OP but I, too, have a question. I tried Fedora XFCE, but honestly, it seemed to me like the whole XFCE spin was an afterthought at best. Are all the spins like that? I would like to give Fedora a try, but Gnome is a no-go for me.

testing distro

if you like XFCE go for a stable distro, you don't need the latest packages

I hate it.
Son of a gun brings my system to it's knees every time a big update comes out.
After yesterday's update one of my machines is stuck in the constant lightdm loop and it seems that nobody knows how to fix it.
On the other hand, it's a very optimized distro. The battery life is great out of the box and the overall performance is also great'

Install debian

If you want an actually decent and stable .rpm yum based distro get CentOS instead.

>up-to-date packages without the autism of rolling release
>sane package management and reasonable selection in the repos
>great default GNOME 3 experience and really well put together spins for those who do not like GNOME 3
>among the first to adopt new technologies as it is the testing ground for RHEL
>more than stable enough for desktop use despite having new tech and fresh packages
>it just works, focus on getting shit done instead of managing your system

good for your average user, always up to date but that isn't always a good thing. Also its the only distro where gnome doesn't feel like complete ass. Game support is bleh

This makes sense to me.

I like it.