The state of smartphones

With an increasing number of manufacturers entering the market each year and releasing one or more devices, you'd expect prices to have gone down from when the iPhone was the only major smartphone around. Instead, the exact opposite can be observed with phones now pushing $1000 msrp.

Around the time the first iPhone came out there were many people that saw the value in it, but decided it was not worth the $500 price tag. This was at a time when there were really no other devices that reached feature parity with the iPhone.
Why, then, are companies able to charge $700+ on phones that are not even unique anymore? What's even more infuriating is that if you compare a $200 phone to a $1000 phone, you are not receiving a product that is an entire five times better. In fact you would be receiving a worse product if you compared battery life between most flagships and a budget device.

So what went wrong? Are today's consumers simply not as price conscious as they once were, or is this due to successful marketing that convinces everyone buying a $900 phone every 2 years is normal? I really believe this is hurting the field since new devices coming out are barely different from their predecessors or competitors, yet the prices keep increasing.

phones became a status symbol.

Oh they now the price, the whole reason people buy a $1000 phone is because it's $1000. Even if it performs the same as my $250 LG, they spent 4x as much which makes them a 4x superior person. A new iPhone is a status symbol more than a phone.

>Paying more than $50 for a phone

Attached: Know Your Meme Costanza.jpg (250x250, 9K)

?????????????????

Attached: wut.png (594x648, 188K)

I use a "old school" samsung flip phone. Suits my needs perfect cause all I do is talk and text. That's it. Cost $20 (Got it in 2012). Prepaid Verizon plan only runs me $33 per month (tax/fees included). What I don't use just rolls on next month.

He's taking a wide stance.

I wonder if he saw that pic before he died of aids

It was drawn this year I remember the thread

It was ass cancer. The worst kind of cancer.

lmao

Attached: 1521422174238.png (324x291, 159K)

I made it this year.

Only in poor countries.

phones are starting to replace computers for normies. in that context it makes sense

They're basically pocket 90's computers, it's great

Attached: 1493821282177.gif (370x319, 1.99M)

this

Convince me an S9 isn't worth its price tag.

like burgistan

What can an S9 do that, let's say, a moto Jow Forums 6 can't?

VR, DeX, a better camera, Samsung Pay, edge panel, many more...

At least in the states with limited tap and pay acceptance, Samsung Pay is fucking amazing.

Secure Folder is also a fantastic addition over stock android.

Is it possible to run Honey Select on a smartphone

buying some stupid 720p bullshit in 20fucking18

That's really sad. I had a summer job at target a while ago and you'd be surprised how many people came in and had to finance the purchase of their new iPhone.

it would be very interesting if some brand could fit flagship level camera in $150-200 phone
of course other specs would be average

I only buy used phones. Just got an iPhone 6s for $150 and as a longtime android user, I must say it’s a really comfy phone.