/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: just like in /sqt/ spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software have active mailing lists.
*Many free software has an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: 1531096328189.jpg (598x477, 105K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/string-manipulation.html
gnu.org/audio/how-gnu-was-named.ogg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

There were a lot of poles in that /sp/ /fglt/ thread.

Can someone explain hardware backdoors to me? What exactly are they and how do they work? Which hardware is affected?

so whats a good alternative to google search?

I tried duckduckgo but it doesnt even work without javascript? wtf
Im now using bing it seems a decent enough alternative

What are some good boards /fglt/ could roll in next?

The /sp/ colonization was good while it lasted.

I like searx.me. Set it up before tho and just enable the engines you like.

/co/

Jow Forums

Attached: 1531117461425.jpg (486x409, 45K)

Vim is bloated. Elvis can do what vim can do with half the size and even better, use nvi.

>see that in last thread
>check how big vim is
>it's 3x the size of geany, a graphical ide
how even

Don't come to my board ever gain you gnu (or whatever your shitty toys are called) nerds

But user ...

Attached: 1531662060661.jpg (600x550, 33K)

>i said we needed a bigger NUMBER of linux users, not bigger linux users!

Perfect time for /fglt/ to start working out. Get ready for when god begins his war against the CIA.

kek

Feature creep and general developer incompetence. If you just want ex/vi, nvi and elvis does the job much better. If more, any IDE serves its purpose. Vim can do neither because of how buggy releases tend to be.

How can I make this less retarded/shorter?

for i in *.gif; do
mv -vi -- "${i}" "$(date +%s%3N).gif"
done
for i in *.jpg; do
mv -vi -- "${i}" "$(date +%s%3N).jpg"
done
for i in *.png; do
mv -vi -- "${i}" "$(date +%s%3N).png"
done
for i in *.mp4; do
mv -vi -- "${i}" "$(date +%s%3N).mp4"
done
for i in *.webm; do
mv -vi -- "${i}" "$(date +%s%3N).webm"
done

The -i flag is useless here since it's always processing just one file.

for i in *; do mv -vi -- "${i}" "$(date +%s%3N).${i#*.}"; done

oh, and to explain what the fuck "${i#*.}" is, see;
tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/string-manipulation.html

actually, you might want to use ${i##*.} instead, the greedy version, so instead of "one.two.three" becoming "32547389.two.three", you get the desired "32547389.three"

for fname in *.@(gif|jpg|png|...etc); do
mv -v -- "${fname}" "$(date +%s%3N).${fname##*.}"
done

for ext in gif jpg png mp4 webm; do for i in *.$ext; do mv -vi -- "${i}" "$(date +%s%3N).$ext"; done; done
note that this is most likely case sensitive globbing, in bash you can do
shopt -s nocaseglob
to turn case-insensitive globbing on.

glibc or musl? Whats the difference? Why choose one over the other?

jesus fucking christ. if you aren't going to use ksh extglobs. at least use the cartesian product operator. *.{gif,jpg,png,etc}

glibc has known functional features, well tested and likely to be installed but has some static linking difficulties, including license.

musl has a proven nonfunctional dns resolver but is fully statically linkable.

reallyI'd use glibc unless you need to be an esoteric faggot or really need static linking.

but then you dont have the extension inside the loop

then use a simple string op to get it. the initial expansion and string ops are going to be faster than a bunch of looping due to how shit bash is.

>then use a simple string op to get it
why? I already have the extension in the nested-loop
and it's a very simple outer loop, I can't imagine it'd create much overhead. but feel free to post benchmarks if it means so much to you

why? I already posted a not retarded solution retard. also, quote your string expansions next time. only the glob part needs to be unquoted, not the whole string.

Should i go back to using fedora? idk ive got to do a reinstallation and i cant choose what distro to go to next. ive used fedora and debian based distros a lot. desu i dont really want to fuck with arch but i want a system thats actually up to date all the time and isnt a clusterfuck to use

What does /fglt/ think of vile?

Question: what distro should I use if I want to get into penetration testing? I have heard Kali is good, but some people prefer Parrot.

I see that the bulk was successful

Is GNU/Linux truly that popular in central and eastern europe?

if im migrating, what else should i backup aside from /home?

whoever decided iwconfig, ifconfig and iwlist needed to be seperate is a retard. setting up networks could be so much easier.

posix says so and so does 802.11 being such a shitshow, closed committee spec.

SSD coming in the mail today. Gonna out Ubuntu 18.04 Budgie in there and start using GNU/Linux instead of Windows. I have experience with Linux before.

What are some things you recommend I do or packages you recommend I install when finally switching?

Install ed because it is the standard editor.

posix i get but what did the 802.11 comitee do?

is there some way to browse Jow Forums from the terminal? im bricking my graphics drivers and de nearly every month so i want to post here to troubleshoot.

Ok so i finally got a de to work by installing xfce but i still have rhe same issue where my graphics tablet is the only input that works. Keyboard and mouse stop working as soon as x boots i guess. Ive tried a fresh x conf i think but still nothing. If i cant fix it fairly soon im going to just nuke the system, everything is backed up anyway.

just have the vesa driver and a wm lying around, so you can do something like;
xinit /usr/bin/icewm -- X -config ~/.xorg-vesa.conf
where .xorg-vesa.conf is an xorg.conf with vesa set as the driver

finally got rid of windows and installed debian
been using nothing but xfce previously on labtops so i'd like to try something else.
Is it really outdated and should i switch to a WM like i3? Seems to be no decent DE, so i thought i'd try a WM.

My HDD shit itself and I can't afford one for a while so I have been running a live usb for a while which is fine. I'm just curious if the usb drive will wear out because of this or will it have no effect? Afaik running live is read only and that wouldn't wear it out but I'm no expert.

Attached: file.png (720x720, 280K)

that shouldn't be a problem, excessive reads can lead to read disturb, which either results in corruption, if the device doesn't rewrite blocks that are read often, or the occasional rewrite if it does, it's way less of a problem than writing often
some livecd's can also be loaded entirely into ram, so you could just use one of those and remove the flash drive once the machine is booted, totally eliminating even that

Flash drives generally use pretty shit nand so it will wear out fadter than say an ssd. However in saying that a quality usb drive will last the same as an ssd would

Not him, but how long would a generic $10 USB stick last from any store that sells flash drives be it a supermarket or gas station or whatever?

Youd get a decentish life out of it, just dont store anything critical on it. For example a sandisk ultra fit will usually run a nas os on it for several years. Obviously theres less read write in this scenario though. Cheaper nand also tends to get hotter which obviously means its going to wear out faster

My advice is dont bother with xfce. Either use lxde or just use openbox. Xfce always gives me issues regardless of the pc its being used on. Its not really that lightweight anymore either

Why do people use vim when it's the largest vi clone there is?

>remove lamp-server^ package
>somehow it also removes basic system packages and I don't have audio anymore
what does a lamp server have to do with my audio

Attached: 1517728837089.jpg (400x379, 41K)

What distro?

xubuntu

Sounds like a meta package, but I could be wrong.

>2 2tb hdds
>first is my primary encrypted debian installation
>2nd is empy
I want to use the second for backups. Both are 2tb but im worried that it wont fit because of all the encrypted space that it will have to copy. Will it fit? What should i use to clone the disk?

>some livecd's can also be loaded entirely into ram
I tried doing that and it always crashes after about 18 hours

I'm just doing read only though I think

sudo apt-get --purge remove dbconfig-mysql
sudo apt-get purge lamp-server^
sudo apt-get autoremove

This is what I did, when I tried to remove lamp-server^ at first it was giving me an error about dbconfig, apparently it was not properly installed, so I removed that one first

I'm not exactly sure if this is what caused missing system packages but it's the last thing
I noticed the problem now because of the missing volume control and firefox not playing audio (deadbeef played audio just fine though)
I did apt-get install xubuntu-desktop and it fixed it

Yeah, then it sounds like it was just a meta package and had a bunch of packages as dependencies.

what could be the problem, what when im in fullscreen mode in a firefox with bspwm, i can't put my cursor up top for tabs bar to go down?
Screen flickers a bit and cursor immediately goes to the middle of the screen.

also is there a way to make firefox go fullscreen but not like fullscreen as in take whole laptop screen space, but become fullscreen and take up all of the tiled window space?

Thanks for the input guys.

Attached: 1519858735466.png (657x527, 44K)

Deprecated. Use ip, ss, etc.

What issues have you had with xfce

Friendly reminder Elvis has HTML and groff support, even his help pages are in html. Also can do folding. All with the same if not less bloat than nvi.

Elvis4life.

Attached: tfwElvis.gif (330x472, 186K)

for i in *.{gif,jpg,png} yada yada do mv -nv -- "$ yada yada done

I have been messing around with graphics drivers for a while now but the biggest problem I am dealing with is the fact that I can't get any usefull feedback from xorg. I have tried tail -f /var/log/Xorg.0.log which when I try to restart sddm says some stuff ending with server terminated with error (1). closing log file. then it tries to start sddm again and nothing is appearing in the log file. How am I able to fix anything if I don't have any errors to tell me what is going on.

What's the best foobar-like music player?

I remember this meme

Why newfags always come here asking for a foobar clone? is not that great.

It's a minimalistic music player that at the same time can do everything.

None. GNU/Linux is am unix-like OS; programs aim to do one thing well.

>It's a minimalistic music player
Nah.

Yea.

[G]nu's
[N]ot
[U]nix

Attached: index.jpg (327x154, 10K)

gnu.org/audio/how-gnu-was-named.ogg

Attached: avatars-000034050587-qc6c2w-t500x500.jpg (500x500, 59K)

Just a simple question:
Can I install a virtual machine with a 4GB and 3GHz?

>GNU/Linux
No richard

Attached: 1517208493279.jpg (806x938, 330K)

startpage and searx

As long as your specs are better than that, yes.

Please stop reposting this crap. It makes people only dumber.

>implying that isn't the whole point

I know it's fake, but the pasta has some legit arguments.

Such as?

Attached: 1507609101663.png (505x650, 282K)

For starters, number of lines of code is not an indication of importance.

A few friends of mine and I are making our own Linux distribution for shits and giggles and we want a bootable ISO to install it on random computers in our houses for testing. Since this is the very first step to making it I was wondering uh... how the fuck do you do that exactly? I mean i know what goes into the distro itself, init, bootloader, kernel, scripts, etc but setting all of these things up to be placed on an ISO is a mystery to me. Any suggestions.

Nobody claimed that tho.

Search the web for linuxfromscratch, it's a short book that guides you to build a basic GNU/Linux system.

What are the best resource light (minimal) torrent applications? I am currently using transmission, don't know if there is anything better. Terminal is preferred but rTorrent seems a little gimmicky.

i was about to start reading that but it looks to me like it doesnt actually contain the instructions for iso creation specifically

Redpill me on getting Nvidia Optimus to work on Fedora 28, I have an E6520 I have thought about slapping Linux into. How is the power management on that OS? Am I going to lose my battery after like an hour of use?

$ time dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M count=1024 status=none | gzip -c | wc -c

real 0m7.043s
user 0m6.892s
sys 0m0.478s

$ time dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M count=1024 status=none | bzip2 -c | wc -c

real 0m10.702s
user 0m10.381s
sys 0m0.891s

$ time dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M count=1024 status=none | xz -c | wc -c

real 0m25.195s
user 0m24.859s
sys 0m1.222s

$ time dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M count=1024 status=none | lzma -c | wc -c

real 0m23.985s
user 0m23.629s
sys 0m1.331s

$ time dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M count=1024 status=none | lzop -c | wc -c

real 0m0.902s
user 0m0.566s
sys 0m0.494s
Why doesn't anyone use bzip2 when it's clearly the best? Most distros default to gzip. Bzip2 is third fastest but smallest filesize. All the other ones - well, imagine designing a compression algorithm that can't even compress zeros!

How do I make a script executes automatically every minute with the i3wm config file?

Attached: '.gif (250x251, 999K)

tfw S

call a script that executes them every minute
what is your use case for this?

if the drivers don't work you'll probably need to find a patch or google for other people using fedora on the same laptop as you, but I haven't used nvidia on linux since about 2015, as far as power management goes you won't get a tool that will give you better power management than what you can do manually - look into things like powertop etc

I have this cool little script that checks if my battery is low and send a notification, I want it to automatically start on boot and check every minute for the battery, that's why I need it on the i3wm config.

Make a timer and have the system do it