All in one Macs

Terrible, terrible design idea this was. It made them very hard to take apart and service because you had to worry you were going to get electrocuted by the CRT, and if the CRT went bad, you couldn't use the computer at all since there was no connection for an external monitor.

It's not an issue to design a computer this way nowadays because you would have an LCD screen, but in CRT times this was a terrible idea and Apple engineers should have been dragged out into the street and shot.

Attached: 84u7r8784.jpg (1571x413, 118K)

>Apple engineers
I'm pretty sure every computer manufacturer had a CRT all-in-one at one time.

Attached: sunslc.jpg (531x431, 31K)

You must be 18+ to post here.

fuck off cuck these are amazing. The SE/30 could be upgraded to like 128mb of ram in 1989. That's nearly 10 years ahead of competitors

External CRT Monitors are a bullshit pain in the ass to move around, so much so that instead of bringing them with me I just kept buying new ones because they weren't even worth hauling.
Chunky all-in-ones should have been the future but we still have wire fiddling bullshit because of people like you.

Attached: 1475109191371.png (500x400, 57K)

Blame it on Steve Jobs. He wanted a world of appliance computers for normies that you couldn't repair or upgrade.

The Performa line was always intended as low end machines old to noobs at retail outlets.

The SE/30 also cost $4000-$6000.

So what
Historical price doesn't matter for shit.

I'm saying you made a big deal out of the thing being able to use 128MB, but I said those were a premium computer not your average desktop PC shitbox with ISA slots.

Yeah, because it is 10x less in today's dollars! Wait, the opposite in fact.

>very hard to take apart and service because you had to worry you were going to get electrocuted by the CRT
Very true. CRT power supplies are huge hazard, those caps can release a lot of high voltage/current.

Stop being a pussy. Just ground yourself.

I took 2 apart myself afue years ago was pretty scary. didn't touch any thing but constantly thought I was going to die they hadn't been used in a long time but had been attempted to be turned on in last month. I wonder how unsafe it actually was. im pretty sure its not like 100% death or they wouldn't be able to sell them I would imagine you would have to be powering it on and off heaps recently then work on it right away or some thing.

like if they where really 100% deadly they would be forced to use joins and rivets and stuff and make it impossible to open with out braking it like computer PSU.

if some thing can probably kill you I think that's the laws. so I imagine crt arnt like totally fatal all the time but still a bad idea

There are stickers and such stuff that warn that you must be authorised personel to open the stuff, hazardous voltage inside notes and so on. That's probably enough for law.
I think there is a risk of death if you touched really charged stuff (the thing that deflects the electrons goes really high iirc). People that are schooled know what and how to discharge before performing repairs/stuff.

There's also the crt implosion risk if you manage to break the glasss - nasty shit, shards flying everywhere. The forces that the glass is permanently subjected to are massive.

>Chunky all-in-ones should have been the future
You should realize that they lost to laptops, not conventional desktops.

they were literally for children in schools. Do you think offices actually bought those machines?

>It made them very hard to take apart and service because you had to worry you were going to get electrocuted by the CRT

That just confirms that you have never serviced anything with a CRT in it. It's not dangerous if you aren't literally retarded. like how retarded are you that you're worried about coming into contact with high voltage circuitry when doing shit like removing ram? The only reason that any service manual tells you to discharge the CRT is so that stupid people like you don't try to sue them when you do something that no one who has even the slightest technical know-how would do.

there isn't risk of death stickers on PC CRTs from 2000-2005 isn't one on my crts or the apple one I opened up.

I expect it was less deadly later on or something. maybe some old ass TV can actually kill you 100% I still wouldn't touch that shit on a newer CRT thou im sure it could fuck up your heart rate or some thing but maybenot actually kill you.

Didn't Apple pitch those early monochrome Macs as serious professional computes?

I never saw a mac of any kind in any office anywhere. on the other hand the first desktop computer I saw was in 1988 so who knows

I guess nobody else pointed out OP's remark that they had no connection for an external monitor and you couldn't use the thing if the CRT went bad.

They probably assumed if that happened, you'd go to an authorized Apple repair center and have the tube replaced.

all of these typically placed the mainboard on a slide-out tray that was easily removed in the rare event that it needed service
>and if the CRT went bad
lol you're supposed to be grasping at straws after you get called out, not in the opening post

even high-end workstations contemporary to the SE/II usually capped out at 48-64MB, the memory expansion on those systems was a truly impressive amount even in context

They mostly saw professional use in niche tasks like desktop publishing where PageMaker and the LaserWriter were pretty much peerless, otherwise their lack of sane mass storage options and other peripherals until the Plus really held them back in the role of an office fleet box.

I can't speak for the SE/30 but the PPC Performas and iMac had the logic board on trays that would slide out if you unscrewed them. Doing simple things like adding a new HDD or more RAM was not dangerous at all. It was easier than doing the same thing on an AT/ATX case.

i mean you just replace the part like anything else that might fail. the lack of video out sucks but that's not the reason why.

They usually (always?) had an expansion card slot, so you could stick a display adapter in it. Not sure if you'd be able to set it up without a working CRT, though. It was probably an uncommon practice.

I got shocked by a triniton back in the days. It was a devilish tickle more than a deathrow buzz

Replacing a bad CRT on a toaster Mac should not be an issue--they're a 9" monochrome tube which is a very common type and you can probably purloin one from a security monitor.

Color Apple CRT monitors used exclusively Trinitron tubes (but with Apple's own homemade CRT chassis) however I don't know who their supplier for monochrome tubes was.

>Terrible, terrible design idea this was. It made them very hard to take apart and service because you had to worry you were going to get electrocuted by the CRT, and if the CRT went bad, you couldn't use the computer at all since there was no connection for an external monitor.
Bullshit.
All your claims are ignorant fantasies.

Imagine being such a s o y boy you are afraid of a little HV