I'd like to go into a software engineering role after I finish my masters degree in a year. I'm not in computer science...

I'd like to go into a software engineering role after I finish my masters degree in a year. I'm not in computer science, but my degree is heavily based around the use of computers (computational physics). I know that my degree hasn't equipped me for actual software engineering. Some of my peers have already getting into IT and software and I know that they're getting their asses kicked because all they know are numerical analysis techniques and a bunch of programming languages with which to implement them.

If I managed to get a job in your company, what would you expect me to know so that I could actually be a useful employee and not piss everybody off?

Attached: mandelbrot.jpg (2160x1620, 931K)

You be expected to suck your boss cock whenever he wants

C#/.NET, Docker, PowerShell, Git, a basic understanding of JavaScript, SQL, networking, Windows Server, and just good coding and architectural skills and judgment in general.

Gang of 4
CLRS
install gentoo

>PowerShell
lol

>ms fag

Decent list, but fuck them. Replace C#/.NET with Java and Spring Boot. Replace powershell and windows server with Linux.

You should also know a few design patterns.

Can't hurt to know mongodb either. And also know http and REST.

Oh and there's data structures. Know what a map is, a list, know what hashing is and what a hash map is, know what a binary tree is, and when to use each of them. Maybe you know these already, no idea what computational physics is.

>in your company
I'm just answering OP's question, this is what I use in my company, autists.

t.Data Scientist. We don't have to write "real code," but get paid a shit-ton. You're probably qualificatied. Write R and Python.

Attached: 7zKAG5sY_400x400.jpg (400x400, 23K)

No, competent companies use Java. I would refuse to work for a ms shop

>I'm not in computer science

So what? There are many liberal arts majors working in SE.

>I know that they're getting their asses kicked because all they know are numerical analysis techniques and a bunch of programming languages with which to implement them.

Spoiler: Mommy/Daddy/Teachers/Professors aren't going to babysit you forever. At some point you have to be responsible for your own life long education and training without getting the gold star stickers at the end.

>If I managed to get a job in your company, what would you expect me to know so that I could actually be a useful employee and not piss everybody off?

This reeks of doing the bare minimal.

Is this the tech jobs general thread?
I told my dad about the trouble in trying to get a tech job and he actually gave me the boomer stuff you guys meme about, about how the way he got his job back in the day is he didn't give up and kept trying over and over again and when I told him nowadays they just tell you to go apply online and they have software that automatically filters out resumes he vehemently disagreed. I thought you guys where just memeing about this boomer spiel about just going up to the manager but I can barely believe really got that talk.

son, look the manager right in the eye while firmly gripping his hand and say, "I'm the man for the job"

If you seriously think this then I'm sorry but you have a very misguided view of the software industry. There are plenty of good reasons to use a Microsoft stack and plenty of companies use it.

>tfw work for oracle

to be fair, I got lucky at least

Attached: 1530979864883.jpg (800x750, 77K)

Graduating quant here. I hope so much this is true.

A+ for mandelbrot set.

an actually good modern mathematician, unlike knot theory bullshitters

t. physics grad student

>mongodb

No. It's shit for every use case people try to use it for. It needs to die. People need to stop recommending it for anything. If you have a legitimate use for it, you've probably been working in a data field for fucking decades and it's for something very specific you can't get from any of the normal tools people use everywhere else.

Thanks for the advice, guys. Every other site I looked for tech education advice gave me a bunch of bullshit soft skills ("learn to never give up", "learn to learn").

yeah, data science is one of the big fields i'd like to try for. my physics focus was statistical mechanics and i've been grinding through pure statistical theory as of late. I'm intermediate with programming in general (I work mostly with C/C++ and Fortran, but I've done a lot of stuff with python), just have R left to learn.

how did you deduce all that about my character from a series of statements, Sherlock?
I'm asking this a year before I graduate so I can teach myself the necessary skills and not be useless in the work environment. Does that sound like I'm not being responsible for my education and doing the bare minimum?

what are you researching? my dream was to go into physics research. it's not financially feasible for me anymore but maybe i'll have a chance later in life, lol

>>If I managed to get a job in your company, what would you expect me to know so that I could actually be a useful employee and not piss everybody off?
as much of whatever my current employees know as possible plus something they don't that will be useful.

>software engineering
programming

>my degree is heavily based around the use of computers (computational physics)
A post doc I knew had this background and got a job with a major US investment house to help them with financial simulation. His salary is probably at least one digit larger than you would get as a software engineer.

>what are you researching? my dream was to go into physics research. it's not financially feasible for me anymore
Not him but I did a PhD in solid state physics. That is the safest job market with a good chance of an industrial career.

>but maybe i'll have a chance later in life, lol
Later in life you get used to disposable income and going back to grad school with be painful.

the right and only way no matter if you even have a diploma or not, is just to do your own projects and make them work
If you show you can do stuff everybody will take you even if what you show dosent apply perfectly for there use they will respect you and hire you

>work for Oracle
Opinion discarded

thanks

>post doc and phd in a hard STEM subject leads to 7 figures outside
I wish this meme would die.

It isn't 2001 anymore where investment banks would take random PhDs and postdocs and turn them into quants. There are entire degree programs in financial engineering which are devoted to getting people from good HS grads through to masters graduates with the right skills to do these jobs.

Rarely do IBs or even major retail banks look outside of these fields as there is literally a reservoir of people now who have not only relevant skills but most often relevant experience for these jobs and could do a far better job than some blow in who is there for a six figure salary but would rather do something else (regardless how talented they are).

The best chance that hard STEM PhDs or postdocs have outside of academia is in the 'data science' world now, which is in essence the same shit but in retail and other fields which are now going through a data renaissance with cloud computing and big data. However, if you get involved with a PhD program or a postdoc and it takes you another 10 years to leave academia. Your chances in that might have dried up too.

The bottom line is that if you go down the academic path, there are no guarantees that there will be an exit ramp to big money in some high tech field and to think you can step over a bunch of junior positions by doing some pet project in academia is extremely foolish.

What are you talking about? Getting a job in tech is piss-easy. My bf got a full time job before he even graduated and I got into my latest internship through attending a local tech job fair with literally no effort.

Pynchon

Yeah, someone told me that about 35% of graduated theoretical/computational phds go into finance and earn a killing. I just can't afford to wait four years for that.

damn, nice. my plan was to eventually go into condensed matter as well. to be honest? I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that a research career isn't going to be a reality anymore, but it's tough getting used to life without that motivation