Why did you decide to become a programmer?

Fellow programmers of Jow Forums, what is the primary reason you decided to devote yourself to working on computers. Is it your passion for systems? Is it the money? Is it that you hate working with people? What is your personality type? Feel free to talk about yourselves in this thread.

Attached: 0_WW-iV1yoPWqUcd5H.jpg (1600x1066, 141K)

Started because of gayming in my teens but now it's:
>can be 100% self taught
>can work alone
>creativity put to the test
>that feeling when things run smooth as fuck
>new technologies constantly popping up
>nearly guaranteed jobs anywhere

Started when I was 12 and wanted to make games.

- money
- can work at home
- it beats working the fields or living on food stamps

Probably something like this initially. It turned into something like "it's in demand" and "maybe it won't demand too much of my shitty social skills". Now I'm feeling overwhelmed because I graduated college over two years ago and I still don't know how to get a job.

Signed up for compsci university because no one else from my hs class was. Didnt want to see any of those fuckers anymore. Not a bad decision in hindsight

I didn't end up becoming a programmer, though, which I kinda regret. Still studying some engineering bullshit and it's taking forever. At work I'm actually programming so I fucked myself pretty good for nothing.

>have always been interested in cryptography
>got to the level that can't do manually on paper
>wonder how it works in computers
>wtf is "protocol" and how networks even work?
>went to uni, learned java there
>discovered OpenBSD, fell in love for it
>C course sucked donkey balls, it was the half C half C++ that learns none of them properly
>learned C by reading obsd sources
>this process separation is interesting
>discovered passion in prog language design and compiler design
>discovered passion in learning systems and OS
>discovered everything sucks and is riddled with massive clusterfucks
>hate myself for not going for math instead

Is it possible to start learn programming when ama 32 year old?

Fellas help me out here. Feel free to call me a hikkineeto parasite while you're at it.
>learn how to program when i was 14 or so to be hackerman
>like programming
>start telecomms at 18 because theres no CS in my local uni
>friends with legit fuckups for years, eventually drop out after not even going to class for several years.
>now 22
>if i go in again, ill finish at 27 minimum with no job experience.
Is it worth to just be "self-taught" in my position if I want to work as a programmer and I actually focus and work on it? Is there an alternative pathway I can follow to prove that I can do the thing without having the 5 year diploma?

Attached: 1531671016562.jpg (750x1334, 164K)

>what is the primary reason you decided to devote yourself to working on computers.
Loved working on computers and the hot rod factor as a kid. Today, hot rods have been replaced with Hondas in the sense that modern hardware is all commodity shit. Nothing to get excited over anymore.

>Is it your passion for systems?
I enjoy working with systems, but there really is more tech out there than any single person can learn even if they dedicate all their free time to it. Learning theory, algorithms, office politics, people management, and other timeless stuff will gets me a lot farther than trying to learn meme-tech of the week.

>Is it the money?
The money for positions is all over the place. I make enough where I can't complain too much.

>Is it that you hate working with people?
If you think you're going to get into software to get away from users, you are sorely mistaken. Software engineering is extremely social, especially when you work directly with your users. If you don't want to work with people, become a park ranger.

>What is your personality type?
Autist wizard. Learning how to deal with people, office politics, and other soft skills is just as much as part of the job as writing any slick line of code.

Attached: 1429331429179.jpg (240x285, 34K)

It's one of the most accessible areas, you don't need to pay anything and you get good tools, guides to use them, books on them, general books and good uni lectures accessible for FREE. There are many topics with only light prerequisites so you can always learn something without getting deep understanding of bunch of topics beforehand. And you don't even need to be good at math for most of them. Easiest field ever.

I like solving the kind of problems that are common in programming
finishing a programming problem gives me a nice sense of accomplishment

You can try getting into the industry without a degree, but it'll be harder to find a job and be promoted due to the biases. Or you can try getting your degree, but there will be an age gap between you and your coworkers. You'll also lose the potential income and industry experience that you could've gotten had you chosen the self-taught path.

As a kid I always wanted to learn how computers work. I also wanted to make games.

I didn't choose programming, it chose me.
>father works in IT, has programming books lying about
>try it a little bit at 10 (qbasic, visual basic, c), decide to do something else instead
>nothing else turns up, so major in CS
>drop out after a year because I fear I'll end up writing enterprise CRUD in Java forever
>get a BA in electronics instead
>join HW start-up after graduation
>HW business doesn't exactly take off
>company falls for the IoT meme
>"hey user, you have some experience with mobile apps, write one for us?"
>uh, i guess
>end up writing the app, the server API with Node.js, the firmware running in the device, plus tools for HW production
>tfw I'm now called a "software guy"
>tfw I'm running circles around the actual software guys in the company
>give up
>be software guy

Attached: 1496068178511.png (645x1260, 440K)

I want to become a hacker

install gentoo

>Why did you decide to become a programmer?
to make the big bucks

Attached: 1520657214470.png (671x690, 201K)

depression and video games

$$$$$$$$$$$$
Muahahhaahhaa

Attached: XqTFSU7_d.jpg (640x427, 37K)

>Is it that you hate working with people?
Is this what regular people think programmers do?

I literally have a 15 minutes call with the other half of my team every day and talk with the half that's present basically all day long, either shooting the shit or talking about how to solve a problem

I thought It was fun/interesting, turned out it pays well and is somewhat fun.

Money. Entry level pays around 200k usd per year.

Is because my mother broken my dream of study medicine because I am a person with low moral and thing
And I need a job for get money so I decide do something easy and that was programing

Money employment opportunities money and straightforward path to own business with minimal initial investments and money of course.