X1 Carbon

>X1 Carbon
>i7 8550u, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, WQHD HDR screen
>USD$1300
why am i so retarded, i want to pull the trigger even though I know it overheats, build quality could be hit-or-miss,RAM is soldered, and audio is crap. The i7 + 16GB RAM was $220 extra even though the performance difference is negligible due to throttling

can any lenovo shills re-affirm my purchase

Attached: big_box-and-kit-lenovo-thinkpad-x1-carbon-6th-gen.jpg.ashx.jpg (1170x657, 110K)

install gentoo on it

>60Hz
el oh el

Is that bad outside of gaming?

>spending over $1000 and only getting 256GB storage

I think I’m about to make the same purchase. Might get the T480 for more battery because the HDR apparently has some mild ghosting issues, but it’s a tough choice.
As far as I’ve read, there’s no huge throttling to speak of with the Carbon, and everyone has been calling it the ultrabook to beat. Just use headphones for the audio, I guess?

The X1 Carbon is sexy hot and it's presence causes MacBook owners to cower in shame.

What the fuck will you even do on it? The build and the price is fucking retarded. You can probably get a gaemin laptop for less price and better hardware.

>I'm retarded
>help me act like it

Attached: 1502300343191.jpg (600x567, 24K)

You won't notice a difference for browsing because stuff barely moves around when not doing gaming. Even in gaming, it's only in competitive games that it feels annoying after you get used to 144hz and even then fanboys way overstate it. You get used to whatever framerate you see. Your brain is pretty good at guessing where objects will be between frames and adjusting vision to defects in general. (If you looked at the world with glasses that made it look upside down, your mind automatically switches the vision in a few days).

nigg

Literally had my finger on the trigger for this exact config for the last couple of weeks - aware of all the same shit you are, I still kind of want it. If I do it, I still haven't decided on WQHD HDR or no HDR. The glossy panel seems to be insanely glossy. In reality, I just want to try to hold on until next Gen, since this seem to have more problems than most generations.

DAC for headphone output is apparently bad enough that people are commenting about the noise floor. i don't know how that's possible and here I thought all DACs were the same (coming from /hpg/) since it's basically perfected now.

better than spending $500 extra to upgrade to a 1TB SSD

Ita because you feel for the think pad meme

get a huawei matebook x pro. Better performance, sexier 3:2 aspect ratio. Even has a 1030 if you want some gaymen on the side

Can't you just put a matte screen protector on it? If it's insanely glossy, i can't imagine that there'd be any sort of semi-matte coating on it.

glossy doesn't fucking matter when your screen is >500 nits

in terms of visibility, bright and glossy >>> dim and matte

oh fuck well that's the push I needed to pull the trigger.

but... but... - lpddr4...

Just get an XPS 13 Dev edition if you want a modern Linux laptop

an L380 with a 128gb ssd and a fhd ips screen costs 1240 USD here in europe, same processor same ram

and people here claim apple is overpriced

Linux performance sucks and the lid doesnt even close properly

The only remotely good thing about this laptop is the keyboard.

A1 Cabron when? AMD chips stopped sucking.

i'm pretty sure a repaste would solve the thermal issues with the X1, other than that, it's a solid buy. There's really nothing quite like it in its class, in terms of feature+portability.

>16:9
>sexy hot
no

Get a previous gen second hand instead for cheaper. Absolutely love my 3rd gen, but wouldn't pay full price for it.

don't
get x210 (x201 with i7 8550u)
twice as cheap, same specs, better keyboard, older design

Attached: 145236nilznuutowu9blfg.jpg.thumb.jpg (800x600, 58K)

>renovo crapbon
>ULV cpu
>Winpoo 10 or Loonex, no Windows 7
>support drop after next refresh
>16:9
>no ecosystem
>no continuity
>$1,300

Why?

>>ULV cpu
ultrabooks almost reach boiling point even with a ULV. The voltage is not the bottleneck.

Funny since I cam get T480s with 512gb at same price in europe. (With student discount)

8th gen ulv boosts up to 45w, it's hardly low voltage at all

Unless you really want the HDR screen the T480s has better cooling, socketed RAM, and is hardly bigger.

Attached: IMG_4480.jpg (4032x3024, 1.27M)

Imagine how much battery they could fit in that if they ditched the 2.5" drive and the quick swap battery. I'd bet at least 85Wh.

The t480 with the dual battery is even better, literally infinity battery as long as you have enough spares.

As long as you don't mind having a tumour sticking out the bottom.

I enjoy fat batteries. They raise the bottom so it can breathe.

Side intakes > bottom intakes

Low voltage high current m8

I don't get a choice since I'm a poorfag and laptop is like 10 years old.

At least you're honest.

I just take in old laptops people think are junk and upgrade them to their highest limits. They run hot, but can they're good for their age.

>RAM is soldered
What the fuck

Is there any laptop with socketed LPDDR3?

My Clevo P650SE has 4 slots of LPDDR3 which aren't soldered.

> keyboard bezels
> trackpad
> retarder kb layout

Disgusting.

>RAM is soldered
This computer does not deserve the title of "ThinkPad". Fuck Lelnovo

Not too late to get an X210

yeah, I ordered it last night and I'm already thinking of cancelling it. ~$300 just to upgrade to 16GB RAM since it forces you to upgrade to a negligible i7 or a vPro i5.

I'm starting to think that the A485 is a much better option even if it only has an FHD screen, Realtek internals, and no TB3 (oddly enough even though it's royalty free now).

Why not go for T480s with WQHD panel?

The T480s has soldered RAM too. It also ends up being a bit more expensive than the X1C6 spec'd similarly but the T480s ends up with cheaper finishes, half the lanes for TB3 (even with no dGPU), and obviously slightly less portable. If you're going to pick between the T and X 14" series, then I'd say pick between the extremes instead of the weird compromise in-between.

T480/A485 also allows for a small SSD drive through the WWAN slot, and space for a 2.5" drive.

I see we have slightly different things we are looking from laptop. T480s does have soldered ram yeah but it also has 1 socketed ram slot. T480s has improved chassis and full lane for the m.2 pcie ssd, which T480 does not.

I can get T480s for 1260€ (student discount) with following specs:

8250u
512gb ssd
WQHD display (95+ srgb + 300+ nits brightness
all fullhd displays on T480+T480s look very bad with 58-60 srgb gamut and 250 brightness)
8gb ram soldered (1 socket free for more ram)
fast charging battery (not available on T480, not like it needs it though)

T480 with WQHD display costs me 1700 eurobucks.

Obviously I could get T480 without student discount and configure it on Lenovo site. T480 without nvidia gpu has only 1 heatpipe cooling whereas T480 with gpu and T480s has 2 heatpipes cooling which is better.

There's a reason why professionals everywhere prefer and buy the Apple Macbook Pro with Retina Display.

I think you should wait for the a485