Be Python "benevolent dictator for life"

>be Python "benevolent dictator for life"
>accidentally involve people who are much more competent than you are
>they start debating your asinine suggestions
>"WHHHH!!! You're on your own! HOW IN THE WORLD WILL YOU MANAGE"

did I get the gist of it?

Attached: python soy.jpg (740x416, 75K)

Other urls found in this thread:

adainitiative.org/2014/09/22/why-guido-van-rossum-supports-the-ada-initiative-wears-a-python-is-for-girls-shirt-and-answered-questions-from-only-women-at-pycon-2014/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The real meat of the controversy was in the discussion about the feature, not the feature itself.

Link?

I got riled up before getting to that part

What's the rundown on that? I saw
>:= as new syntax for assignment
>result of assignment may be used in condition like in many other languages

unsure how the latter part related to the :=

stop making greedo threads

For inline assgnment only. Because retards keep writing things like a = x.calcValue( ) if x.calcValue( ) > 1 else 0 where calcValue will be called twice if result is > 1.
He tryed to fix retards with languge feature which is kind of stupid.

And would this work with the regular assignment syntax or just ":="?

If it would work with the regular "=": why add ":="? Seems like two separate features baked into one PEP

If it wouldn't work with the regular "=": why not?

Hard to say, competence in language design is generally not a thing in the Python community.
That being said, this is one of the few things I'd say GVR was right about. The community seems to be happy blowing an overly dynamic command language pretending to be a scripting language up to the point where it pretends to be C#, instead of concentrating on the few things it does well.
Tcl should have served as a warning example, but brainlets never learn.

It would spawn more mess than it will fix therefore different syntax/separate operator. And adding another assignment operator is controversial at best - it will lead to more confusion among those who unaware of this new feature and those who used double evaluation will still use it because you cant fix retards and lazy people.

>competence in language design is generally not a thing in the Python community

my sides

but no one uses tcl... oh I see where you were going with that

What the fuck, was it JUST for that?
What a pussy.

That's not remotely funny, user. They made a lot of retards and brainlets believe it's ok to have broken scoping, mutable types and half-assed assignment checks at that scope of program size and many other retardos copied that.

Fuck this cocksucker. "Only le wymyns can ask questions hurr durr" I was there when that happened. The fuck literally wouldn't take questions from men in the audience. You know, the people who actually give a fuck about his shit and use it professionally. I hope he gets curb stomped on his way to the parking lot.

topzozzle

is this for real? did 90% of the room just stand up and leave them to circlejerk over politics or what?

Python should have stayed an imperative scripting language without OOP. Feature creep is the doom of projects.

Fuck yeah it's true. adainitiative.org/2014/09/22/why-guido-van-rossum-supports-the-ada-initiative-wears-a-python-is-for-girls-shirt-and-answered-questions-from-only-women-at-pycon-2014/

You have the chance to ask questions any time as a male. He was giving a chance for women to ask questions, a chance they probably have never had.

threwthewholepoleinthewater.jpg

>“There was one guy in the entire 2,000 person audience that made a tiny boo sound,” van Rossum remembers. “Everyone else went with it

Attached: Bt5u.gif (251x161, 306K)

i am new to python

how would you write something like that?

To save a few lines. It's an attempt to make up for Python's lack of the "Ternary Operator", except it means "x if x comparator y else z" evaluates x twice. Like I said, a design mistake, feature creep sucks.

value = x.calcValue( )
a = value if value > 1 else 0
And in less trivial case something like
value = x.calcValue( )
if value > 1 :
a = value
else :
a = 0

What are you gonna do? Dare question the orthodoxy and be branded an $IST guilty of an $ISM? Never to be hired again? You have to "go with it". Doesn't matter whether it's rational or sane, it's the prevailing narrative. Reality doesn't matter anymore, only "stories"

Attached: E5A2BD27-75E5-4F4D-945E-0A2459E03D89.jpg (755x487, 157K)

i just started learning python but from i read from many experts online that it is an ugly language. should i learn something else? i want to work with financial datas, monte carlo simulations and machine learning. should i switch to c# or f#?

ah just like in C. i thought there was some pythonic way to write it

Well there is now and that's what it was all about
a = v if (v := x.calcValue( )) > 1 else 0

In C: a = ((a = fcall()) > 1) ? a : 0;

Python is very popular in mathematics and finance and stats and so on. Just do that for a while, or learn R. Monte Carlo simulations are piss fucking easy in R, it actually has matrices as a native datatype.

Agreed. Python works best when you omit the OO crap.

Python isn't ugly unless you're using classes. Classes in python are hideous, but the rest of it is fine. Python is great for stats stuff, and really anywhere that doesn't benefit from the performance of a compiled language.

I think classes were important to have so the normies would use it, but the way they're implemented sucks ass

>finance
IMO you couldn't go wrong with C#.

>learn R
>2018
R is quickly becoming legacy. Python has pretty much replaced it for Data Science and ML applications due to it's wider application and integration with bigger workflows.

With Python's future being thrown into question, there is no question the mindshare will move to something else soon. What that will be is up for debate at this point. My money would be on a JVM language or something like Julia (but I doubt it as it has a lot of R's problems with lack of general application).

It's funny because it's true, user.

Python or R are both good.
It doesn't really matter that much, to be honest. It's imporatnt that you can produce results within a good timeframe, wether you are a Python fanboy or R love isn't that important.

Just take a look at both and pcik the one that looks interesting for you. At the end of the day you will need to learn many differnt technologies during your carrer, it's not necessarily a strict "either/or" decision..

Ehm, and of course C# si also worth learning.

F# is (theoretically) a great language, but nobody really uses it, so I would not recommend that as your "primary weapon", it's too exotic.

F# to C# is like Scala or Clojure to Java.

With more ML stuff becoming API based anyway, it's probably better to just stick with C# instead of wasting time with Python as it is the industry standard for finance.

but muh suffering and stuff

So now that the dust has settled, Python or Ruby?

Neither.

It's a loose-loose decision.
t. somebody who prefers Ruby over Python

python evaluation is retarded.
in c you can chain assignment and other operators just fine, you don't need a damn ":="

>tries to kill lambda
>fails

stand up and leave, because if i'm there to ask questions and the only reason they won't be answered is because i'm "cis scum", then there's no reason for me to be there. let them enjoy their circlejerk while i move on to something that lets me engage in what i signed up for, which isn't gender politics.

>using any language with forced whitespace

>R is quickly becoming legacy

I work in academia and that's not my experience. Lots of young researchers are picking up R instead of Python because it looks easier.

there are a lot of monkeys in the jungle

There are billions of flies in this world
and all of them love to eat shit.

Are you a fly, user?

>something like Julia

Its compilation model is amazing but the pause sill sucks. Maybe in a couple of years.

Most of you are missing the point of Python, it's meant to be consice, idiomatic, expressive and human-readable, rather than compact. One of the first things I learned about the language was that explicit is always better, and if you are trying to one-line something so bad you are 100% using the wrong language. Imo adding such feature would defeat the main purpose. e.g. one of the reasons assignments and expressions being exclusive is that you don't do stupid shit like if (a=3) and ask yourself why is your retarded code not working. I work with C, JS, Dart and Python everyday and each has its own way of doing stuff, and if you want to write in Python as you do on Dart you belong to the trash in my book

Attached: photo_2018-06-14_10-45-48.jpg (480x411, 15K)

It is a mistake. Readability out of the windows. Even with such a simple example you need to look twice to make sure what a will end us as. Maybe force
a = v if (v := x.calcValue( )) > 1 else v := 0
or
a = v if (v := x.calcValue( )) > 1 else a = 0

I mean, the syntax a = b if c else d is neat and I keep getting blueballed from using it for this exact reason.

>I work in academia and that's not my experience.
What he said. Next semester I'll be tutoring bachelors in statistics and optimisation. They updated the course this year to include R.
Basically, next semester I'll be teaching bachelor's to use R for their future research.

I've always been bugged by the infix structure of this feature.
Consider
a = if (v := x.calc_value()) > 1 then 1 else 0

versus
a = v if (v := x.calc_value()) > 1 else 0

With the second it's glaringly obvious that you're executing these statements in some crazy order, whereas in the first it's just LTR

** correction, should be
>then v else 0

>loose-loose
Like your mother's vagina and asshole?

This guy is mentally ill, it's amazing he managed to last this long as dictator of Gaython. Holy shit the terrible design decisions he made on a daily basis.

Either this is an incredibly subtle burn or you have no clue about how Python works under the hood.

Using R with Jupyter Notebook and RStudio's R Notebook is a million times more intuitive than Python trash.

>Using R
I disagree. I find R frustrating and unintuitive. The functions (for regressions, for example) seem to be written in the reverse order, where variables are set after the main code. WTF? Maybe I'm too stupid for it, but Python is more comfy to me. You can use the same "Notebook" with it.

Definitely, I always have to do a double take, the first option is present in a lot of languages.
When it works you have pretty much a natural language statement though, so I still like it.

Try Julia then if using Jupyter, it's more 'lisp like' ergo ultimate intuitiveness. Though with this asshat now gone from Python, it will become a usuable language without breaking changes

i roflmao'd

wait what the fuck, := is approved and is going to become a thing?

Attached: 1531733622638.png (388x363, 255K)

to: [email protected]
subject: Question
body: Hey can you explain why ... Thanks!

On the internet nobody knows you're a girl. Act professional, respect others, don't assume people are being malicious because maybe they know (they don't unless you told them), and refrain from throwing autistic "you should treat me better because imagirl!" shit fits. Follow these steps and you'll be treated EQUALLY by everyone, even the rare actual misogynist. You won't stick out, so you won't get targeted by trolls who are just in it to start trouble and don't actually care about you being female.