How did Creative Labs, a billion dollar company in the 90's, lose the emerging onboard audio market to the chink crab?

How did Creative Labs, a billion dollar company in the 90's, lose the emerging onboard audio market to the chink crab?

Attached: Realtek.png (718x266, 42K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/StarTech-com-Express-Adapter-Card-PCI1PEX1/dp/B0024CV3SA?th=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I guess as a cancerous faggot once said
>You shouldn't be afraid to cannibalize your own product

Creative Labs drivers sucked, when a new OS came out it, they pretty much wanted you to buy a new card.

Realteck HD audio got to the point where it was good enough and basically free as it came on the motherboard that no one bothered to buy Creative Labs cards anymore.

Not to mention that anyone who wanted good audio bought into the external DAC/AMP meme.

you can't really compete with a company whose site looks like this /www.realtek.com.tw

>Best viewed at 800x600

Because Creative are an evil company that killed all the competition for Hardware accelerated audio, stole their tech and then never used any of it.
Fuck creative.
No wonder Microsoft killed hardware acceleration for audio in Vista

Attached: gates-2007-vista_2811743k.jpg (703x536, 60K)

They made a strategic mistake similar to 3dfx. Creative Labs wanted to be high-end and didn't make cheap sound chips for OEMs and mainboard integration. Then HDA codecs became good enough for 99% of people, game and software makers didn't want to invest into supporting Creative's surround audio tech just for the remaining 1%, and so they basically disappeared from the public eye.

Because they sold $300 sound cards and then dropped support for them a year later, even though the newer hardware released was sometimes worse.

or the 750 kb/s driver downloads.

they got hyper jewish selling Creative XFi Sound Blaster 4D SOUND EXPLOSION GAMING EXTREME DSP cards with total garbage driver support.
Also, for the kids born post-2000, those sound cards close pretty damn close to midrange GPU prices. There's a reason the kX audio drivers were made and took off like mad.

still bitter about A3D, eh?

>so am i

Attached: 1497887453844.jpg (555x448, 38K)

>with IE 6.0 or Netscape 7.02 or Mozilla Firefox 1.0.6 or higher

Their only real competition in the high end sound card realm is Asus

for me it's turtle beach

Attached: 1514558966935.jpg (900x937, 149K)

> (OP)
>Creative Labs drivers sucked, when a new OS came out it, they pretty much wanted you to buy a new card.
>Realteck HD audio got to the point where it was good enough and basically free as it came on the motherboard that no one bothered to buy Creative Labs cards anymore.
>Not to mention that anyone who wanted good audio bought into the external DAC/AMP meme.
This.
Dac ext amp master race
I have 4 sound cards sitting on a shelf I no longer use

By being proprietary shitware invested patent trolls.
I mean, their stuff is way better than Logitech, but their software?

I dunno man Z333s and higher end are pretty good against what Creative Labs has these days.

>Z333
>*fakes tweeter behind you*
Heh, nothin personnel, kid.

Attached: index.jpg (249x202, 7K)

What other computers apart of Macshit use DACs that aren't Realtek?
I love my thinkpad, but I hate how its shitty Realtek shit cant drive my AKG's properly.

>Basically responsible for the emergence of plug and play because your boards fucked up everyone's shit
>install soundblaster, half your computer doesn't work anymore
>pay (((money))) every time they multiply the number by 2
>soundblaster 16
>soundblaster 32
>soundblaster 64
>unironically make one called soundblaster 128
>old games 50/50 to crash
They tried to Jew everyone for too long, OP. Then they got Jewed. This is how it works in tech.

Also
>why does my friend with an Amiga have better sound than me and has none of these problems?
>why does my friend with a Mac have decent sound and none of these problems, even if he has no games
Windows95 killed their MO of Jewing you into new shit for every new major game.

That has absolutely nothing to do with the dac or realtek chip and everything to do with the amp power output. Just spend a bit more money for a mobo that advertises a headphone amp specifically. Or just get an external box and be done with it.

TY M8.
I have to admit that mac crap amps very well to my taste.
I suppose I should buy an interface then.

my t6100 had a fake tweeter too. So glad im over low end desktop speakers

Because the "chink crab" is actually good. And cheap. Creative meme was a jewish scheme to rob retards of their money. And since Windows, starting Vista, did the audio processing internally, and did it good, external cards became obsolete.

>unironically make one called soundblaster 128
You have seen nothing yet.

For added hilarity, SB128 wasn't even made by Creative, it was a rebadged Ensoniq chip.

Attached: 5494ffc1-58e6-46a8-a20e-fc17fda0b712_1.7f844c491e1d18cc5f2d9adf97db767d.jpg (450x450, 39K)

>soundblaster 512
Why?

wtf I feel like a boomer now

o-rly stupid retards had to pop it off to know that?

Attached: z333.png (839x819, 51K)

Remember how this text was added after the fact?

>There's a reason the kX audio drivers were made and took off like mad.

Oh, I remember those, they were great. The official SB Live drivers were cancer.

Nowadays the only reason to get a sound card is if you have issues with cracking audio, but 99% of the time that's caused by the driver sharing IRQs and can be fixed by altering a registry key.

Even without the text it has always said 2x 8w satelites with no mention of tweeter power.

I bought a Prodigy X-fi NRG some time ago. It has a Creative SB chipset and an upgradable OPAMP. I full on traded out the $0.37 oem opamp for a $2.00 TI Burr Brown. I strictly use it for headphones. Games sound great! VDJ sounds even better.

Either that or the interference is caused by front panel audio and connecting headphones directly to the motherboard at the back fixes the issue

I still have the SB0100 sitting on the bookshelf as my only backup soundcard incase the onboard breaks, but then modern computers don't even have PCI so meh

Attached: sb0100.jpg (820x670, 90K)

That sure is why they added the text.

user, face it, the only good product Logitech has is the K120 and even their quality might have increased the last years.

Apple as always only uses high quality professional components.

Logitech mice are great, just look at the G203. It's like $20 and has everything you need, including a great sensor. My G5 is over a decade old and works like new.

Eh? Logitech webcams have always done me good, C270/C310 are some of the best budget webcams available, chink shit with advertised 1080/4K can't even compare and my G400s is still one of the best mice I've ever had.

>mices
no, the problem is rather nobody is producing good mices right now
>webcams
Maybe, I am lacking a frame of reference here.

>but then modern computers don't even have PCI so meh
amazon.com/StarTech-com-Express-Adapter-Card-PCI1PEX1/dp/B0024CV3SA?th=1

>no, the problem is rather nobody is producing good mices right now
Why is this the case?

>Maybe, I am lacking a frame of reference here.
You are. Logitech webcameras are superb and way better than their competition.

>Why is this the case?
I dunno. Maybe there is just no money in serious products when even company retards buy retarded gay murr mices for 3 digit prices.

>Current using an Aureal Vortex 2 in my Windows 98 gaming computer

It's so comfy.

Attached: dsc-3190.jpg (593x557, 43K)

At that price I might as well just buy a new card like the Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX PCIe or the Asus Xonar DGX PCIe for 37~39 bux

Not to mention the abundance of random pcie sound cards for as low as 15 bux.

tfw had to finally retire my 2003 soundblaster live! 24bit earlier this year because i had to get a new motherboard, and it doesn't have any PCI slots

who remembers this lil nigga?

Attached: creative zen.jpg (392x634, 88K)

I wouldn't mind the fake tweeter.

But aren't the satellites also much taller because of them?
If they added empty space just to accommodate the decorative "tweeter" I would REEE so hard.

You do know that speakers need space to sound good right?

They got lazy.
They were late on the PCI train and ended up buying a soundchip maker just to get a card of their own, it became the SB128 I recall.
Then they barely bothered with PCIe.

They should just have pulled out after the AWE64.

>who remembers this lil nigga?
One of my first MP3 players back in 08
The absolute brick..
Rip

What? I guess you mean late 90's and early 2000's?
Most cards had excellent support for both Win9x and NT at the time. What the fuck are you smoking.

>not having a Audigy 2 ZS for EAX and a Vortex 2 for A3D with a AWE64 ISA card for DOS

>what is Live!
>what is Audigy
This place is like full of underage retards who try to explain shit they have no idea about.

But PCI Creative cards had excellent hardware sound acceleration.
Have you ever checked benchmarks against the competition? Even compared to their own older cards, an Audigy 2 ZS can have much lower CPU usage and gain several more FPS in a real world game benchmarks compared to their own Live!.

You do realize things like EAX and A3D are *not* hardware sound acceleration in itself, they are just specific parts of it for effects.

Same here. The power switch broke at the motherboard, and I threw it out like a retard.

Normalfags don't care about audio quality with their $4 earbuds.
A medicore SB shits on snibeti snab chips in terms of audio quality and volume even if you can only afford a $30 HD202.

Because they didn't give a fuck.

>what is Live!
The rebadged Ensoniq bullshit happened precisely because Live! was late to the market.
Live! was a pretty good card actually, it's just that Creative's behavior around that time was utterly detestable (trying to choke the competition with false lawsuits - and actually succeeding, calling their crappiest cards "Sound Blaster 64" to confuse people into thinking they were getting AWE64, and shit drivers that were already mentioned here many times - although it must be noted that few companies had good drivers in the Win95/98 era)

t. audiophile
please kill yourself.

Time to install an XP.

where my AC'97 bros at?

Imagine spending more than $10 on a pair of mangets with coils and a drum

Realtek has High Definition Audio™

ok kid

worse price for value

Attached: 1531518339593.webm (720x404, 2.54M)

this kills the crab

No shit, Sherlock!

Why bother slicing crab middle to kill? Just cut off the leg and throw it in garbage, crab isn't people who cares if it feel?

Attached: Vietnamshooting.jpg (983x630, 104K)

SoundBlaster was for plebs

Attached: maxresdefault(2).jpg (1920x1080, 245K)

G R A V I S

They were like nVidia: "Our products are too premium to be affordable and work well."

Plus their drivers suck.

gaymer spahtted

u l t r a s o u n d

thank god for emulation, getting an actual GUS card is $$$ now

Anyone know where I can get DOS sound drivers for my Thinkpad R50p?

Attached: IBM-ThinkPad-R50p-Notebook-280x280.jpg (280x280, 17K)

Truth. It's a shame Creative's drivers are awful, their X-Fi chips are/were pretty great. See: Auzentech

@66764476

nice edge

There are 2 types of sound cards:
1: Full DOS compatible cards, the zenieth being the Sound Blaster 16, or maybe the AWE32. (ISA bus only).
2: Generic sound support through software in Win9x and later.

Today, sound cards are a meme. Everything has onboard sound except some server shit.

USB sound cards (especially DAC/Amps) and headsets are KYS tier faggotry.

>www.realtek.com.tw
that website sent me back to 90s internet

Attached: download.jpg (500x667, 53K)

meh classic case study scenario on creative resting on their laurels

Attached: Aureallogo.png (157x94, 1K)

Rip A3D

nice ipod, you ready for real nostalgia now?

Attached: Creative MuVo.jpg (389x262, 24K)

Because they never really embraced change properly. Their biggest product was a ripoff of a soundcard that someone else had designed, which they adapted for PCs.

When separate sound cards became obsolete in favor of motherboards with audio capability, they were not able to enter the market.

Also the CEO had an autistic preference to only do things related to audio, or music in particular, so they designed shitty mp3 players, shitty headphones, shitty earphones, shitty speakers, etc, and are now dinosaurs.

Pic related was my first mp3 player. I still remember my uncle taking me to the electronics shop and buying me the exact same model and color

Attached: creative zen nano plus purple.jpg (600x510, 32K)

>meme
enjoy your fuzzies

Still got mine in perfect condition, complete with retail box and shit, also the CD with shareware games and a bunch of scene demos.
Oh and IIRC 11 floppies worth of GUS drivers kek.

Attached: future_crew_logo.jpg (1600x1200, 74K)

>"Our products are too premium to be affordable and work well."
That was what killed 3dfx.
Starting with GF2, nVidia made a shit ton of cheap stuff which generally worked.

There are no "full DOS compatible cards". Sure, the majority of DOS games supports some variety of Sound Blaster (or at least Adlib/OPL3 for music), but there are also ones that only work with more obscure shit like Tandy 1000 or General MIDI with an external synth.

You don't really need to emulate GUS nowadays, unless you want a very specific kind of sound authenticity. For digitized sound, GUS isn't any different from SB16, and for music you can configure DOSbox to pipe MIDI to a modern software synthesizer with a soundfont of your choice.

>That was what killed 3dfx.
Pretty sure them buying a fab they couldn't afford is what killed them (and getting rid of third party OEM manufacturing of their cards). Also their cards worked better and had far better driver support than anything nVidia or any other manufacturer had at the time.

haha badass haha yeah they're not even peeble haha dumb bitches crabs alshaaha

underage scum spotted

Sorry kiddo.
Stop buying shit from eBay and you'll soon realize it's not true.

You watch LGR too?? XD

Attached: 0.jpg (225x225, 7K)