Need new HDD

>need new HDD
>read reviews
>mfw
Why is it so fucking difficult to choose a reliable HDD?

Attached: 8643685743734.png (504x500, 249K)

Other urls found in this thread:

backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-stats-for-q1-2018/
youtube.com/watch?v=GwMn7YpF8r8&t=40
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

just avoid seagate

>inb4 just avoid WD, just avoid toshiba, just avoid HGST

Just use Raid 5/6

backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-stats-for-q1-2018/

You decide!

Research the models themselves and purchase drives that only use 1 disk platter and not like 3

And pretty much everybody besides seagate is okay. I've always bought single platter drives, mainly samsung or WD and have never had a hdd fail in 20yrs, usually they just get too old to be useful (ie: 259gb ide).

Any disk could die anytime. Deal with it and create backups regularely.

Just buy 1 or 2 TB WD Black.

Never had a problem with WD. Seagate has been a hit and a miss.

Just avoid Westen Digital

>buy overpriced noisy crap that seeks randomly every 5 seconds as a "wear leveling" technique
Nice try WD shill.

>Western Digital

Attached: Untitled3.png (630x473, 135K)

Just avoid Toshiba

Here pretty much all HDDs cost the same if they have the same amount of RPM, cache and storage space.

Somehow I doubt that. Equivalent drives from Seagate are like half the price of WD.

WD Red for that comfy 5400 rpm. Quietest HDD on the market. Get 2, mirror/raid one of them and backup weekly and you’re set for life.

>WD Red
As someone who's had to RMA my only one of those, got a refurb back that lasted 24h, RMA'ed again and have yet to get a response from WD despite my insistence for THREE WEEKS while my warranty slowly drips away, WD can go to hell.

Sure, when their drives work it's fine, like every other manufacturer. But when you need a replacement? Holy fucking hell. What the fuck is the point of paying more, often double, essentially for a longer warranty, if this is how you're treated anyway?

Attached: QUALITY.png (1264x1033, 107K)

They are about the same price here in UA.

Toshiba or HGST. Just don't get a drive that parks it's head and don't move your set up too much.

Then it's the low end drives that are overpriced. You're being ripped off by your local sellers.

>don't get a drive that parks it's head
They all do that - Seagate, Toshiba, HGST and WD.

I paid about 1800 UAH for a 1TB WD Black. All 1TB 7200 RPM HDDs had the same price. Only some had less cache than the WD.

lmaoing @ ur life

>tfw I have a single 3tb red
please don't die on me

>tfw my HDDs from ~2011 still going strong
>honestly scared to buy anything newer/bigger

the fact that a flood in some random asian countries effectively lowered the quality of hard drive production everywhere+forever is one of the most bizarre tech things i've ever read about

Holy shit it finally finished. "Quick" test took over an hour. Thanks WD, I'm sure the drive is 100% in perfect condition.

WD30EFRX? Those are the worst on Backblaze's stats, like 6% failure rate with reasonably high confidence. The WD40EFRX not far behind either. And these were supposed to be "24/7" drives according to WD. My ass.

Attached: Untitled3.png (629x473, 112K)

All drives can fail, moron. Use your judgment like a big boy. People are more impacted by negative events than positive ones, therefore they are more likely to leave a bad review.

>People are more impacted by negative events than positive ones, therefore they are more likely to leave a bad review.
this user knows what's going on. an unsatisfied customer is way more likely to be vocal and loud about it than a satisfied customer.

... just keep backups.

Attached: Untitled4.png (805x634, 88K)

This.

>"Quick" test took over an hour. Thanks WD
My 6Tb WD Red takes around 2 minutes for a quick test.

Attached: 2018-07-16-18:28:06-screenshot.png (1273x713, 292K)

Yeah, that's how long it should take on every drive. Not this one. Sometimes it takes 10 minutes, sometimes half an hour, this time almost 1h10. But hey I'm sure it's perfectly fine if WD says so. :^)

Avoid HDDs at all

Ordered the barracuda 4TB with a comfy 5400rpm. Like, what can literally go wrong?

Attached: 1511861034138.jpg (900x675, 76K)

Right on. Mag tapes all the way!
youtube.com/watch?v=GwMn7YpF8r8&t=40

What you wanna do is buy dozens of USB 3.1 flash drives and combine them into a RAID array with a USB hub.

absolutely nothing
>t. seagate 4TB 7200RPM owner for three months now

>HDD

Attached: 1526299518600.gif (512x807, 467K)

Storing your Vietnamese flicks on SSD is still a bit pricey nowadays.