Is liquid cooling a meme?

Is liquid cooling a meme?

Attached: fix-1375-1494412635684 - Copy.jpg (690x530, 143K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=n4O_Dq3xRJA
youtube.com/watch?v=d4R-EsiyRk0
youtube.com/watch?v=eSOcUnn1mtQ&vl=en
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yes.
t. Water cooled pc owner

Yes. It's garbage. Air >>>> Liquid when it comes to cooling.

Yeah
so is cable management and expensive graphics cards

Attached: 1510513483348.gif (303x333, 2.57M)

There isn't even any room for a disc drive.

>disc drive in 2018
Get off Jow Forums, grandpa.

Blueray one is a must desu
FUCK OFF FAGGOT

>Blueray one is a must desu
That's what I got. It just sucks that no one ever made a good SATA floppy drive. I'm stuck with an external USB one.

>There isn't even any room for a disc drive.
you have a shit case.
but yeah, AIOs are shit.

Yes.

Attached: IMG_20180715_131913377.jpg (4632x3474, 3.66M)

It makes your PC heavier to lugg around and all it takes is one leak to fuck everything up.

>you have a shit case.
I was talking about OP's picture.

>Blueray one is a must desu

Attached: 1526878455440.png (380x349, 70K)

It is for a handful of reasons. There's people who go through the trouble to make a custom loop, then stay at stock clocks Drop in closed loop systems don't cool VRMs as effectively. More parts also mean more things to go wrong, particularly the pump and leaks from the tube and/or fittings. Then there's the hassle of refilling the evaporated liquid. Water cooling in general also isn't silent because the fans still have to cool the same amount of heat through the radiator.

Only advantage really is aesthetics if done right and it's ability to soak heat due to water's heat capacity being relatively high.

>expensive gpus
>being poor

Custom loops are.
The all-in-one watercoolers are actually pretty economical if you really need that little bit extra cooling performance over a high end air cooler.

A full loop is required to guarantee an overclocked 1080 Ti to stay at max boost clocks and prevents it from wildly switching voltages which would otherwise cause instability. A full loop is required to get a non delided 8700k to 5.0ghz or a Threadripper to 4.2ghz. If all you do is stay at base clocks or don't require overclocking to hit your monitor'smax refresh rate, then you can get by with air.

Depends on if you can tolerate the noise of air.

my cooler master I bought 2011 is still going strong on my i5-2500k, haven't done any maintenance and it's still quiet with low temps. close to perfection.

yes. after seeing that video of jayz using a d15 i couldnt help but laugh. d15 is godly even compared to a custom loop.

Only if you got a case large enough to fit that thing. Unfortunately millennia love fucking small case.

I would say not, I have a 3x SLI 1080ti on a chilled loop with max boost clocks and no voltage casued instability. But this is a really extreme example I think most people don't give a shit.
I consider water cooling to be more of a hobbyist just building it for the fun sorta deal.

If your chilling your loop like I am bellow zero centigrade then condensation becomes a real issue. What people people don't realize is its really simple to protect your components. All you need is a mobo varnish and dielectric grease which is a substance used in automotive spark plugs and the alike. The varnish will protect your equipment from leaks and condensation. The dielectric grease is put in the socket and will protect condensation from forming on the pins.

yes

t. former liquid cooled pc owner

i regret falling for this meme because i've wasted shit ton of money for nothing

Just a cpu loop like this is an absolute waste of money. If you dont have top if the line shit like an 8700k and 1080 ti(s) youre an absolute retard for spending money at a loop

The only time I would recommend watercooling if you have several graphic cards in your pc, It's overkill for a CPU + single GPU setup, unless your just doing it for aesthetics.

newfag

>Bluray is a maymay
That's poptarts, zoomer

>posts boomer meme
>not a newfag
sure buddy

Low end AIOs are cheaper than Le Grand Macho/d15 and have similar performance. They make more noise however.

Top end 360mm cools better but I have a hard time seeing why someone wants to spend that dosh for minimal performance increase.

Liquid cooling is literally air cooling. The only thing you're doing is pushing heat through water towards a fan.

are the laws of thermodynamics a meme?

>A full loop is required to get a non delided 8700k to 5.0ghz
This is completely false, and ignores the heayt exchange bottleneck through the TIM. before delidding a high end air cooler and waterblock are just as effective.

Thats why you remove the entire IHS unless you are a filthy casual.
youtube.com/watch?v=n4O_Dq3xRJA

people are retarded, they actually think the purpose of "water cooling" is for better temps, because water = cool amirite

if you need to lower your max temps for overclocking it is useful.
if you dont overclock and dont get high max temps, any 30-50 dollar air cooler will work just fine.

i have liquid cooling in a mini itx case. pic related. it's a tiny near silent beast. Will upgrade to a 1180ti once i can.

Overall though.. way too expensive and a hassle to setup. Would be especially useless for a desktop but you could use it to reduce noise if you had some hundreds of dollars to dedicate.

Attached: ncasem1.jpg (650x460, 47K)

Unless you're doing heavy overclock and have shit VRM cooling (you should use a monoblock), then yes. A good Noctua is usually more than enough, I cool my Ryzen 1700 at 3.8GHz and 1.32V with a NH-U9S, under heavy stress tests it doesn't go above 82C, but it needs a better cooler to reach 4GHz and stay safe

NZXT Kraken X62 any good lads?

Attached: s12.jpg (309x599, 71K)

Water-cooling for the CPU is usually fine, easy to install and low maintenance. Anything beyond that quickly becomes more trouble than it's worth.

Running fans at 700RPM(XSPC RX480), and 750RPM(XSPC RX360), pump is a D5 Vario running at the lowest speed.

Temps are lower than with the Noctua D14 (fucking good cooler btw, have D15 in other PC) on the CPU
Previously 45c-65c
Currently 27c-55c (same loop as the two GPUs thus the high max temp)
Stock fans on the Gigabyte G1s were in the 85c-92c since SLI suffocate the upper card
With water they are 26c-42c

TL;DR
Water-cooling is not a meme, but not necessary for most people.

Attached: guts.jpg (1155x1573, 1021K)

Yes, too risky imo

I am
I have a slow leak in my loop and i cant figure out where its coming from. This has been ongoing for months without any issues. may just be losing it through the tubing i have no idea.

Advantages of air cooling
>low failure rate, a fan fucks up it can be replaced easily
>large air coolers like the D15 will actively cool VRMs and RAM
>less potential failure points
>only the CPU cooler has an additional cost

Disadvantages of water cooling
>no VRM cooling with AIOs, need a monoblock
>much more expensive especially for open loop set ups
>greater points of failure, pumps can fuck up, leaks
>leaks can destroy your whole system

Liquid cooling is a meme outside specific use cases

No. It's not a meme. It performs better than than air coolers, but costs significantly more, and is more noisy.

CPU coolers are chosen for performance, size, noise, looks, price, longevity, maintenance etc. What YOU prioritize will determine weather you choose air cooling or water cooling.

For me it's performance, noise and price. So I'll be changing from a 240mm AIO to a tower air cooler for my next build.

Attached: be-quiet-dark-rock-pro-4-2.jpg (1000x768, 127K)

No. Especially if you like quiet.
If you get a CLC with a pump that isn't some noisy shit, it's a lot quieter than air cooling for the same effectiveness.
I run a 2x120mm in my desktop and I can turn the radiator fans off completely and my CPU won't get dangerously hot.

Yes and no.
Sticking a 120mm or 280mm AIO on your CPU and cooling nothing else with water is a meme. You get no performance out of it compared to air. Depending on your case and fan configuration you may even lose important VRM cooling.

But going for a proper custom loop and including other components like your graphics card and using a monoblock to cool both your CPU and VRM comes with actual benefits both in temperatures and noise levels provided you have enough radiator (at least a good T H I C C 360mm) for it.

whats this noise thing? water pumps should be whisper quiet and the radiator should have low rpm fans

My post was mainly in response to AIO water coolers. They have high speed impellers that are noisy, like laptop fans. There's no getting around them really, newer ones are better though.
Having low speed rpm fans -1000rpm are fine but have reduced effectiveness. When they spin up they are inherently louder because of the resistance directly behind them.

AIOs are good, better performing than air coolers, but they are louder. By however many dBa, doesn't matter, still louder.

Does those coolers like the corsair ones have chances on leaking liquid?

>They have high speed impellers that are noisy, like laptop fans
Not if you buy a good one.
Both my Corsairs (a 2x120 and either a 1x120 or 1x140, don't remember) have very quiet pumps.
I had initially bought some other brand but ended up selling it because the pump noise was awful.

Theoretically, but it's probably an even lower chance than a custom loop.

Liquid cooling is a meme. Particularly since FANLESS HIGH END WORKSTATIONS exist now like the compulab airtop. HNNNGGG

youtube.com/watch?v=d4R-EsiyRk0

Attached: airtop-g-passive-500x500.jpg (500x500, 90K)

Yes. Also they don't perform any better than a good Noctua or similar heatsink.

Sounds memey but it works for those who want it. I'm personally new to the liquid cooling game after building a rig and forgetting to put money aside for a cpu cooler. Last second, I went to best buy and picked up a corsair h100i for it. Its rather nice to have desu.

Attached: boomer case.png (650x460, 879K)

Yes
If you have top of the line hardware and can afford a high maintenance money shredder and have to much time on your hands to maintain the thing or absorb the cost of a failure the go for it.
High end air coolers are just as good and are quieter than CLCs and have none of the failure issues.
Buying a closed loop to make most systems faster is just stupid because you could have just bought the next tier up with the money it would take to do a proper closed loop.

Attached: 1e8.jpg (165x115, 4K)

>Touches die
>Touches underpart of heatsink
>Rubs die on shirt
>touches die when inserting into mobo
>Visible fingerprint on die

I want to die.

Attached: 1531080070669.jpg (400x400, 18K)

Actually they do perform better. Just at a higher cost, power usage and noise.

>ackhshually they do perform better (if you make the fans and pump run faster)
Can we have a round of applause for Sherlock Holmes here, lads

excellent for air cooling, because you can set up every core component to draw air from the outside
I personally have a strong autism for downdraft coolers
your vrms really shouldn't have to suffer because "muh core temps"

It seems I had to point it out for who said "they don't perform any better than a good Noctua or similar heatsink"

i have an AIO and its gay. switching to air cooler when i can be fucked. pump almost died because it wasn't plugged in properly one day after messing with cables and cpu fans went nuts.

cool unnecessary build
particularly like the gentle typhoons

CUSTOM loops are a meme. closed loop solutions work just fine.

Tell that to the car industry

Attached: radiator.png (976x616, 185K)

This is Jow Forums, retard, not /o/. Context and thread topic.

Because they don't, you fucking mongoloid. Or did you need me to specify "heat sink with fans attached"?
The simple fact of the matter is that a single CPU doesn't put out enough heat to saturate something like a Noctua D15 to the point that it can no longer dissipate that heat fast enough to keep temperatures down. The same can be said about a 280mm or bigger radiator.

You're not going to see better temperatures on your shitty 8600k under a 280mm AIO than you would on a D15 with the same fan speeds.

>inb4 "you're just some poorfag justifying your shitty air cooler boohoo"
Nah. I can just about guarantee you that the AIO in my system is bigger and better than yours.

A car engine puts out a lot more than 200 watts of heat. Most CPUs don't.

Whoa mate calm down and stop projecting. Follow the discussion chain.

Fact is that AIO's can lower temperatures more than air coolers. You don't have to be mad about it, they just do. But to get that better performance they use more power, are more expensive and create more noise.

I have an AIO but I'll be going back to air for my next build.

>Tell that to the car industry
The benefit of water cooling an internal combustion engine is the ability to moderate heat, and therefore maintain constant bearing and compression surface tolerances.
Processors don't don't benefit from being maintained at 88°C, so the thermostat controlled auto cooling system is entirely irrelevant to a PC watercooling system you colossal fucking retard.

>ICE engine that produces a significant percentage of its rated power (usually over 100hp, roughly 800kW) as heat
>versus 100-200 watts worth of heat for a CPU
Like using a radioisotope generator to charge your phone because NASA uses it for their satellites and rovers

>800kW
80*

How many watts of heat do you think top fuel dragsters put out? They have no cooling system at all

>they just do
Except for the fact that they don't.
They could, if the components they were designed for actually put out enough heat to make the excessive surface area matter, but most CPUs simply don't.
I know what you're thinking, more surface area = more cooling. And that's true, but there is this little thing called diminishing returns.

As long as the surface area of a given cooler isn't being oversaturated with heat, it simply doesn't matter if another cooler has more surface area than it. A little 80-120W TDP desktop CPU doesn't care whether it's under a big regular heatsink rated to handle 220W TDP chips or a big 360mm radiator rated for upwards of 500W.

ur dum

Attached: 1529640653834.jpg (500x370, 59K)

>Tell that to the car industry
Cars??? Fucking pleb! JET ENGINES are where it's at and it uses air.

Water cooling is for low IQ retards.

Attached: 1527095477661.jpg (400x305, 18K)

>>Fact is that AIO's can lower temperatures more than air coolers
But they don't. They just have a larger thermal mass.

>AIO Liquid Coolers are Lying to You
youtube.com/watch?v=eSOcUnn1mtQ&vl=en

And air coolers won't destroy your whole computer when they leak.

No you don't

I understand what you are saying but you haven't followed the conversation. Fact is that AIO setups can achieve better temperatures than tower air coolers.

I don't care about surface area, fan speeds, noise, TDP, dissipation, leaking, size of radiators, diminishing returns blah blah.

Again, AIOs achieve better temperatures than air coolers.

Attached: 4790K stock at load.png (686x870, 62K)

If you're not trying to build an extreme PC, and squeeze out as much performance as possible then water cooling is a waste. Also I'm talking about custom loops, AIOs are just expensive air coolers. To much upkeep.

You are missing the discussion topic also. See for one example of thousands.

56 degrees is better than 61. Ergo, AIOs achieve better temperatures, but at the cost of higher prices, power usage and noise.

And failure points

That pic is irrelevant to his point if it doesn't show how long the cpu has been running at load. AIOs have a larger thermal mass meaning it takes longer for them to heat up or cool down compared to a big block of copper/aluminum stuck directly to the cpu.

Exactly! I'd rather get an air cooler for my next build, even though I have a 240mm radiator now.

I'm just not retarded enough to think I can achieve better temperatures with the air cooler

Attached: 4790K overclocked.png (686x837, 59K)

>I have a 3x SLI 1080ti
No, I don't think you do. Mainly because sticking 3 1080 Tis in SLI is completely and utterly pointless. Three-way SLI on Pascal only work in certain very specific applications (read: 3DMark and nothing else), and if you're going to be competitive in those you'd be running more than just 3 1080 Tis on something that just barely qualifies as exotic cooling.
What's more though, you're talking total bullshit about your "chilled loop." That is not how any of that works.

His point is irrelevant to the discussion about AIOs over air coolers for cpus. The pic shows that during thermal load the air cooler is out performed by the AIO.

Weather or not the stress test goes for 10 or 30 minutes, AIO will keep it cooler. Simple as that.

>no mention whatsoever of fan speeds, noise, or test duration
Nice, should I go cherry pick some charts that show what I want them to show too?

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 27K)

>56 degrees is better than 61.
Yeah, at double the price you fucking swindler. You can get expensive air coolers too.

>The fact that AIOs perform significantly worse over a longer period of time vs 10 seconds of stress testing is irrelevant to the discussion about AIOs over air coolers for cpus.

Are you really this retarded?

Look up any review you lazy prick. AIOs perform better but are often noisier for the same fan speeds.

Exactly! Why buy an expensive AIO that costs more, is noisier and has more failure points than a dual or single tower air cooler. It may perform better but there are other factors to consider.

You changed my quote to reflect nothing I said. Retard.

AIOs actually perform better, check this old chart about the H100i from 2012. 15 minute stress test. Performs better than NHD15.

Attached: 7277_36_corsair-h100i-gtx-high-performance-liquid-cpu-cooler-review.png (620x1303, 456K)

>check this old chart about the H100i from 2012
Still not showing how long the test ran for, how fast the fans were spinning, or how long the test ran for.

>Ek Supremacy EVO
Amazing that this little block on its own apparently beats out most shit on that list.

Did you know that if you turn the fan speed up on an air cooler, it also dissipates heat faster at the expensive of noise? Whoa!

Attached: ek-supremacy-evo_np_front1_800_1.jpg (800x533, 42K)

For those unaware, this picture is more impressive than you think it is. The 4790k is extremely hot. These charts show how powerful the be quiet! cooler is. I actually have used that exact cooler on my OC'd 5930k and I almost never broke 60C unless I was doing something extremely CPU heavy.

You can even see that some of its competition are sealed loop coolers that lose to it. Large tower coolers do the job of cooling very effectively if you get the right one. Brands like be quiet! and Noctua are very well known for this.

While water cooling is "better" performance wise, one obvious issue is the cost needed to get the performance, but its not just upfront costs that are higher. General maintenance and electrical costs add up over time (if you want to say time is money of course). For

Ignore all morons. Liquid is far superior to air when done right

>twice the price, maintenance and a headache in case it leaks
>for a whole 5 degrees lower temps
woah, I truly see now

Look it up.

>Did you know that if you turn the fan speed up on an air cooler, it also dissipates heat faster at the expensive of noise? Whoa!
Did you know that if you turn the fan speed up on an AIO cooler, it also dissipates heat better than the top air cooler, but at the expensive of noise? Whoa!

They use watercooled computers in cars?

Yes exactly, thank you! These people I keep replying to don't seem to understand.

NH-D15 and Dark Rock Pro 3/4 are fantastic, if big, but are out-cooled by 240mm AIOs. It's just that there are way more negatives to AIOs.

Attached: 81KiObeH9WL.jpg (2048x1366, 415K)

Nice of you to admit watercooling is objectively superior.

I bought a cheap $30 intel water cooler 3.5 years ago
>muh maintenance
I have never done any maintenance
>muh leaks
I have never heard of that happening to anyone
>muh weight
This is the only fair criticism and its still less than 1 kg

yes physics is a meme

>>muh leaks
>I have never heard of that happening to anyone
You have now.

Attached: WP_20161119_22_43_05_Rich.jpg (3840x2160, 1.51M)