Which power supply for gtx 1080

The card says it uses "180 max wattage" can i trust that? Am i good with a simple 500W power supply? Why do gaming rigs have 950w power supplies if the card only uses 180 tops?

Attached: HX750_PSU_sideview_cable.jpg (1920x1080, 201K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tomshardware.co.uk/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-pascal,review-33557-10.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

SLI

Welp from what i read, as long you as you don't overclock anything you're just fine with a very good 500w psu. In most gamer rig has rgb and sli and other extra weird stuff so that may need a slightly bit more W but most people go over the line.

I have 8700k, 1070ti, z370 mobo, 2x 2400 ddr4, ssd, 2 extra fans

all powered by 460W
running just fine here

>The card says it uses "180 max wattage" can i trust that?
Yes
>Am i good with a simple 500W power supply?
Yes
>Why do gaming rigs have 950w power supplies if the card only uses 180 tops?
Because people are stupid and only look for big numbers rather than build quality.

Will a 700w psu run a constant wattage (700 Watts) or does it only run the load?

You probably need more if you want to overclock.

Its not efficient maxing your psu out

>8700k
>not OC'd
>not paired with a 1080Ti

Enjoy your dead socket, you fucking moron.

it depends on the rest of your system. add up the maximum power draw of all of the other components.

i have an 8700k, gtx 1080 and memory all overvolted. shit draws about 600 watts including other stuff like hard drives.

It only runs the load it needs. Don't worry.

I just bought a 750 when I was building because it was cheap.
The only things you can do wrong are shoot too low, or spend too high.

expect the 1080 to use 200 watts. if your using sli for anything, and i mean just about anything, 800 Watts or higher is something you will need.

>AMD 1600 (1.37v, 3.9ghz)
>1080
>five 140mm case fans, one 140mm fan for cooler
>650w seasonic
You're fine with a good 500w PSU

thats not true, a psu loses its amperage and wattage max over time, people overbuy on a psu when theyre buying for the longrun. mines 2 years old now and it outputs 800 now, for the 930 it used too

I have an 8700k Paired with a 1080ti and OC'd. What the fuck do you have.

Attached: 2018-07-16_18-43-50.png (750x595, 31K)

Based non-poo poster

you only need a 500-550 what psu if you never do SLI or Crossfire … some people say you need big PSU if you have heaps of old school Harddrives but im not sure if this is true these days.

im using a 550wat from like 2007 still ;/ works fine on a 7600k. going to buy a new one for overclocking but wont get any thing more than 500-600wat.

pretty sure overclocking your CPU doesn't increase the wats you need to run it.

>only have 16gbs of ram
I mean I AM shit.. but its fine.

Pretty sure any overclocking increases the power draw of any component, numbnuts

>what is efficiency

>dual 1440p monitors

How's it feel knowing your GPU dreams about a big, 4k bull?

>500-550 what

Not at fuckin 60hz it doesnt.

LMAO, just noticed your monitors are only 60Hz. Why the fuck did you even buy Intel? Honestly? Your socket is dead, you have no upgrade path, and you're not even remotely CPU bottlenecked at that res.

Explain yourself, intelcuck.

Power=Voltage*Current
Overvolting increases power draw. Usually drastically as power efficiecy goes out the windows when overclocking.

If you're gonna get a smaller supply just be sure that it has the power connectors you need. My 500W PSU only has one 6-pin. Idk what a 1080 is gonna need but probably more than that lol

it depends entirely on your workload. if other user doesn't play a lot of graphically-intensive gaymes, then he's fine and his money was well-spent on a better CPU

It'll only draw as much power as your system needs at any given moment.

Attached: tumblr_p7fnsytbNp1wr60xso6_400.jpg (400x400, 22K)

Oh just realized speccy shows those at 60hz. They aren't. They're 144hz
Theyre 144hz Dell monitors. But I can't find a program that reads them right. Any recs to take a better ss?

Why do people think this

>better
>at low res gaming

This is why /v/ needs to fucking go and stay gone. Valve bankruptcy when?

Your monitors are probably set to 60Hz. You have to change it manually to 144Hz in the Nvidia drivers or Windows Display settings.

Because its true?

Attached: imageproxy.jpg (500x388, 43K)

I'm running an oc'd 1080 and 1700x on a 600w power supply. Rarely does it draw more than 400w from the wall under load. So you're probably fine.

Attached: Specs.png (649x584, 95K)

what the fuck are you on about? I said if he doesn't play a lot of games then he's probably better off with a better CPU. A fucking 1050Ti is overkill for my workload.

Fixed it. Thanks yall, never noticed the driver was outdate

Attached: 2018-07-16_19-28-30.png (587x436, 25K)

You're a fucking idiot.
Seriously. Please try learning anything about power electronics before talking out your ass. The only thing in a psu that ages appreciably are the caps, but only if they're shit chink caps. A good psu will have little degradation in operating characteristics over it's working lifetime. Failure tends to be catastrophic.

Above 500W the power rating on a psu is mainly marketing wank. Things that matter WAY more: Ripple, high frequency noise, voltage stability and efficiency. All of the previous at the nominal load YOU'LL be putting on it. No, that 1000W gaymurr psu that costs $100 isn't necessary better than a 550W Seasonic that costs $80, and will actually be worse if you only ever load 150-300W on it.

This is comically wrong
The capacitors will die in the suuuuper long run but that is literally decades with modern electrolytics
Not to mention, your PSU is only supplying as much power as the computer needs, so I'm not sure where you could have gotten those numbers but I'm gonna guess your ass

>loses its amperage
>loses its amperage
>loses its amperage
>loses its amperage

Attached: 2A5B0E5B85_preview.png (640x640, 433K)

This test showed spikes up to 300w op. tomshardware.co.uk/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-pascal,review-33557-10.html
Overclock and you are pushing those peaks up even more.

Not him but does it really depend on the quality of the materials in the PSU?

That depends entirely on whether or not you get a good one. Most should only run the load but I'd not skimp on a psu.

eeeeeh kind of but not really. Understand that even high end power electronics components have 10-20% tolerances.

On the subject, Should I buy 2x16gb sticks to add to my 2x8gb setup?

Anything made by Seasonic. Get a 650w or 750w and you won't need to buy another one for 10-15 years

I bought an evo 500 and the damn thing didn't even work. I tried getting a return from NewEgg but basically I wouldn't get any money back because of restock price,etc.
Fucking bastards.