/FPGA/ Central

Which FPGA's do you guys use and why?

Attached: FPGA-01.jpg (696x388, 37K)

Other urls found in this thread:

altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_US/pdfs/literature/misc/fpgas_for_dummies_ebook.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=zm-RA6BsYmc
github.com/ghdl/ghdl
github.com/sergeykhbr/riscv_vhdl
github.com/skordal/potato
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MicroBlaze
uj3wazyk5u4hnvtk.onion/torrent/8323202/HDL_Books_-_VHDL_FPGA_CPLD_Verilog_Digital_Electronics_eBook
torproject.org/
youtube.com/watch?v=hrTOFjIsM6I&list=PLBOhtamYB1hj8CJiOhz2F9kCQwcY6t5af
uj3wazyk5u4hnvtk.onion/torrent/9831566/Digital_Electronics_-_A_Practical_Approach_With_VHDL_9th_Edition
youtube.com/user/billkleitz/
crowdsupply.com/qwerty-embedded-design/beaglewire
mouser.com/Semiconductors/Integrated-Circuits-ICs/Programmable-Logic-ICs/FPGA-Field-Programmable-Gate-Array/_/N-6j77c?P=1yy0pmd
joelw.id.au/FPGA/CheapFPGADevelopmentBoards
spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/computing/hardware/darpas-planning-a-major-remake-of-us-electronics-pay-attention
youtube.com/watch?v=8F1xmbYucec
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Used to mine crypto before ASICs

SRAM or Flash based? Hardcores? Devkits and CAD tools? Education and training resources? Let's break it down.

altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_US/pdfs/literature/misc/fpgas_for_dummies_ebook.pdf

youtube.com/watch?v=zm-RA6BsYmc
github.com/ghdl/ghdl

Attached: WHAT_IS_VHDL.jpg (1596x1038, 395K)

Lattice Ice40 because FOSS workflow.

ICE40s are such shit, code than works well with the synthesizer doesn't always compile with the bundled simulator, there's little to no IP, not even an async FIFO, and it's only in verilog
You can really feel that Lattice bought SiliconBlue a couple of years ago and never bothered to properly integrated the ICE40s into their lineup

>generally
SRAM-based for run-time reconfigurable setups and frequently reprogrammed setups (development). Flash-based for fast startup and rugged deployment setups.

>Which FPGA's do you guys use and why?
OFC Xilinx.
bigger portfolio of products,
vivado rocks.
there are a shitload of libraries out there
Cuckltera is Kill.

What's a good devkit and toolchain for an FPGA RISC-V processor development?

cant go wrong with an altera

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (474x355, 30K)

vhdl a shit
verilog strong

Verilog is cool for slapdash experiments that are disposable or otherwise have low liability. Some people think it's easier to learn but I learned VHDL first so I that's not part of my experience.

It might be interesting to design a soft microprocessor core that implements the RISC-V ISA with an architecture that is specifically optimized for an FPGA implementation. There are a couple projects like:

github.com/sergeykhbr/riscv_vhdl
github.com/skordal/potato

But I haven't evaluated them in any way and I don't know how well they compare to something like the MicroBlaze.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MicroBlaze

I have no idea what I could use an FPGA card but judging by the name I assume that it would have a lot of different uses. I already know that they're commonly used for hashing.
Do you guys reccomend any books or a website that goes into detail what FPGAs are used for ? Are there any foss FPGAs.

got myself a MAX 2 because it was cheap and I wanted something to get into VHDL
no periferals, but I have enough trigger, LEDs and even a 4x 7 segment display.

hopefully when it gets here I'll have something ready to start testing

>MAX 2
>Logiclet

Attached: 32843082_10156254371146276_2649204019368558592_n.jpg (960x960, 83K)

You would probably need to understand basic electricity, electronics, and digital logic systems.

uj3wazyk5u4hnvtk.onion/torrent/8323202/HDL_Books_-_VHDL_FPGA_CPLD_Verilog_Digital_Electronics_eBook

Can you post a link?

I understand electricity but have little understanding of how a computer works so I'll look into it, thanks.

That link to TPB needs a Tor Browser.

torproject.org/

I got it covered, thx.

youtube.com/watch?v=hrTOFjIsM6I&list=PLBOhtamYB1hj8CJiOhz2F9kCQwcY6t5af
uj3wazyk5u4hnvtk.onion/torrent/9831566/Digital_Electronics_-_A_Practical_Approach_With_VHDL_9th_Edition

>trying to use integrated Ethernet PHY
>write module for receiving packages
>synthesis optimizes it all away

Attached: 1529663376721.jpg (310x464, 14K)

youtube.com/user/billkleitz/

just got this to start learning FPGAs, because it's FOSS

What did you get?

I'd like to see PCIe FPGAs so we can have 1:1 hardware exactly like the original for emulators.

I'm not sure what you mean. There are plenty of FPGA's with PCIe interfaces in addition to a variety of other high-speed SERDES interfaces.

my bad, i'm a retard.

crowdsupply.com/qwerty-embedded-design/beaglewire

Attached: beaglewire-prelaunch-1-1_jpg_project-body.jpg (749x488, 51K)

Well, yes that is nice. But I'd like to see that particular use case more often. As far as I know, someone has only made a FPGA based SNES clone called Analogue and it seems to be 100% as the original hardware is.

Super cool. I haven't seen this before. Gonna check it out in detail. Thanks!

Vivado is pain incarnate

Will FPGA prices ever reach $20-50, one is able to get used i5 CPUs at this price range

mouser.com/Semiconductors/Integrated-Circuits-ICs/Programmable-Logic-ICs/FPGA-Field-Programmable-Gate-Array/_/N-6j77c?P=1yy0pmd

~$5

I have a Xilinx Basys3 laying around somewhere. Used it for a couple of university courses and found Vivado to be extremely unpleasant, even if VHDL wasn't that bad. Any suggestions for using the Basys3 or some other board without having to use Vivado?

Attached: ryuko_matoi_x_yandere_male_reader__my_prize_by_xxblackbloodxx12-d7970d0.jpg (300x303, 17K)

I mean as in the entire development system/board, not just the chip

I doubt you'll get that, at least for Xilinx you need the platform cable which is $25 by itself (on AliExpress).

Synthesis software is painfully expensive. I've primarily used Synopsys. Microsemi offered a free Synopsys license and a free ModelSim license a few years ago but they've stopped recently...

dude, I have no clue what I'll get at this point.
I wanted to start somewhere and for how little it costs I wouldn't care if I accidentally burn it down.

I'll try starting with an i2c bus to gpio.
should be small enough for the max 2, right?

ordered 2 breakout boards + usb blaster from aliexpress
just picked the cheapest sellers with some rep at least
already had a powerbrick, but you need one too probably

joelw.id.au/FPGA/CheapFPGADevelopmentBoards

You can't get anything over 7k LUTs for that price

You can get a 33,000 logic element Artix-7 for $30 - $40 but you'll need to bring your own board.

spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/computing/hardware/darpas-planning-a-major-remake-of-us-electronics-pay-attention

DARPA is trying to fund open hardware in an attempt to simulate the success of FOSS. It seems like the hardware industry is behind the times a bit with potentially expensive proprietary toolchains and zero IP sharing. On the other front the RISC-V is only going to get better.

Nanofabs when?

Nice reference. Thanks!

I wish I could menstruate.

Attached: FcHHbWykfxTk54tj.large.jpg (800x600, 84K)

I wish I could get Drampa contracts or funding.

youtube.com/watch?v=8F1xmbYucec

>I wish I could menstruate.
At least then you'd be useful.