CyberSecurity

ITT: CyberSecurity general anything about the work

My son is getting into cyber security and he wants to know what he needs to do to get started he is 16 and is getting into the whole aspect of just learning about networks and basic python, the basic Computer science cucked shit you learn in grades 11 or year 11 depending the area that you live in. What advice would you give him in this case to help him be the best in his class for Computing level 3(No it isnt a btec just because it has a level, it does however count for an A level through UCAS points)

Attached: destruction_of_daisy.jpg (432x600, 55K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nT-TGvYOBpI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Bump?

Bump for interest

You don't want to be the best in class.

You want to be the person who actually knows how to do stuff. Working in the industry is ridiculously far away from what is being taught in most schools. Work experience is what gets you places. Knowing how to program is enough to get you that work experience, as long as you're not picky.

Once you know how to do shit, and you have the experience, it's about connections.

t. I work in the industry and many of the best are self-educated.

t. wants to feel better about flunking out of community college

Setting up a virtual lab should the first step. Linux, linux, linux... After that following some guides on how to setup different services like DNS, DHCP. I'm talking all about Linux of course. At the same time get some bash skills and python. Some CTFs (bandit for instance) would be a good idea - they teach thinking outside of the box, and giving the idea of linux tools and command line in general. Th

I work in cyber security. I highly recommend telling your son to focus on something else. The industry as it is today will be dead in less than 10 years. Also, it’s boring as fuck for the absolute majority of jobs.

I’m making hay while the sun shines and switching career as soon as I can.

Dead in 10 years? Wtf are u talking about? I agree that it's really boring however.

Oh one more thing, the government/gchq and all of these companies pushing kids to get into “””cyber””” is a real train wreck waiting to happen.

The cyber security grads being pushed out of unis are very quickly going to realise that their hopes of working in a rewarding, well paying career are not going to materialise. The industry, at the bottom level at least is going to be flooded and people will realise it’s not that hard or special.

Please don't destroy my dreams

It's not about "knowing" Security. It's about learning the programming languages, the technology used, the processes within them, the applied style of computer science or data science. Once you've built this solid background in that, and know how to actually do stuff rather than tell clients what to do, then security is worth it. For those who seek to be project managers, or "security managers", or doing SIEM, you'll be disappointed.

>t. OSCP

If you work in cyber security you should know this.

The threats that most companies face are not going to last forever for two reasons:

1. Governments won’t let it continue. You can see this happening now, the efficacy of government take downs/seizures/sinkholes/etc, international collaboration of law enforcement and companies like MS working on getting rid of major threat vectors.
2. 5 years ago, you had shit tons of public facing servers vulnerable to basic sql injection, no https, etc etc. Half decent organised criminals or hacktivists or whatever could steal money, deface websites, effectively ddos. All that stuff. Think about now. Then think about in 10 years when the internet is more secure and more locked down than it is now. Blue teams and regulations and ML solutions keeps raising the bar so high that attackers will have to be lucky and extremely skilled if they want to be effective. Major breaches will stop happening, they will become normalised, the value of credential dumps will be lessened and rested data will be encrypted. I could go on forever but you get it right? The idea that every criminal in our cyberpunk future is going to be some genius mr robot running around hacking stuff and making loads of money is laughable.

APTs will still be around and stuff, it will still be important for intelligence agencies to develop zero days and TTPs for espionage etc. That side of things probably won’t go anywhere. But the idea that there’s going to be a “shortage of cyber security professionals in the millions” is a joke.

The industry right now is being kept afloat by major vendors scaring people.

Sorry

Cyber security is easy. When you work in cyber security, all you really need to know is "You can't do that," and "I can't approve that, it's not secure." You will be ignored, something bad will happen, and you will be the wise man who warned everybody and was ignored. Keep doing this for 15 years and then go into management where you can ignore the next generation of cyber security expert children.

So what you are saying is that in the future every little tech thing created will be 100% secure ? please

Ten years ago we had ton of insecure shit. Today we have ton of insecure shit. 10 years later we still will have ton of insecure shit.

>vulnerabilities will disappear in a nutshell

Oh lordy. You have no idea what you're talking about. If you actually work in infosec, you know they've been saying crap like this since the early 2000s when stuff like stack smashing was falling out of popularity.

Security is a cat and mouse game, retard. It never ends.

Attached: 1493421857957.gif (200x133, 929K)

>filename

Attached: why_dont_you_take_a_seat.jpg (576x720, 39K)

You're thinking of Daisys Desctruction, totally different.

>My son
>cucked shit

why u lie?

no one here will help your wife's son become le hackerman
fuck off boomer

yep, not retarded at all

Attached: 590.gif (280x207, 453K)

please define boomer

people will still fuck up someway, there's no fixing that

..meanwhile in reality

youtube.com/watch?v=nT-TGvYOBpI

bump

Yeah security is a cat and mouse game. A cat and mouse game where the entry level for the attacker in 10 years time is going to be exponentially more difficult. It’s not going to be worth it for them. I’ve mentioned this idea to Mandiant red teamers and SANS instructors and they’ve agree with me.

Of course vulnerabilities won’t disappear, but overall control that governments and law enforcement have over the internet will increase massively. See GCHQ proposing a “Great British firewall” as an example.

hummmm so what you switching over to then?

No idea. Making good money doing this at the moment and plan to do so for a while. It’s boring but easy. If you have 5+ years of exp right now you are laughing all the way to the bank. To be honest I’ll probably move away from IT altogether when I do switch.

I just feel a bit sorry for kids who are choosing to do degrees focussed on it now who are being promised easy money and interesting careers.

Has anyone done the Temple of doom vulnhub?