What are your thoughts on DVI?

What are your thoughts on DVI?

Attached: 0004246_dvi-d-single-link-cable-1-meter-328-ft.jpg (800x600, 47K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-bandwidth_Digital_Content_Protection
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It just werks.

made obsolete by DP1.2 and HDMI 1.4

fuck it.

DVI a shit, DP a best.

A regression from VGA in terms of size, simplicity, compatibility, HDCP, and overall convenience. Despite its technical superiority, it hardly displaced VGA for the above reasons. I mainly see it as a stop-gap solution for HDMI, although I do like the durability advantage of DVI not counting the easily-bendable pins.

Attached: 277px-DVI_Connector_Types.svg.png (277x543, 10K)

Pic related?
It's shit.
DVI-D DL though... That's a good connector.
But DP succeeded it.
HDMI almost did it, but it went full HDCP/retard.

You can't think for yourself OP?

I'm thinking USB-C replaces everything.

I tend towards choosing DVI provided it's compatible with the video mode I want to use. It's the simplest digital connection, and therefore the least prone to issues.
DP is necessary for some video modes, but I've had it fail on me before (my monitor's DP port no longer works for some reason, other ports work fine). HDMI is fine except that it sometimes results in the monitor being detected as a TV, the whole limited-vs-full range fiasco, etc.

DisplayPort 1.4 is better

t. someone who neither develops nor understand hardware

HDMI is for cucks.

SL is okay, it supports up to 1200p at 60Hz.

The video signal is digital. It's literally identical to what HDMI or DP would carry. The exact same data.

no

Attached: 1530134589574.gif (300x304, 1.71M)

Antiquated.

Digital blackface.

And VGA through my 19' CRT does 60Hz at 2048x1536.

DP or DVI-D DL is needed for my U3011 to display 1600p.

The point is there is literally no difference between those connectors if you're using a lower resolution.

fpbp

All 3 of my Dells either have VGA or DVI, and DVI is sharper by far.

Using DP to DVI cables though.

>and DVI is sharper by far.
well yeah, a digital interface to a digital monitor is going to be clean. VGA being analog means there will be noise present, ghosting, etc.

>Using DP to DVI cables though.
exactly what I would do, but instead i have to do DP to HDMI due to my monitor

nigga you can't even transport an audio stream

DVI, HDMI and DP all support HDCP. Only analog connections don't inherently support some kind of DRM (component, VGA, SCART etc.)

>All those corporate and government computers with VGA hooked up to an LCD

not with that attitude

Had a good run, but is depreciated. (Still use it on my monis though)

WRONG

my dvi to hdmi cable transports sound to my 55" TV

yellow dvi ports do sound white ones dont i believe ( it took me a decade to realise this)

>yellow dvi ports do sound white ones dont i believe
It depends entirely on both your graphics card and your cable.
Specifically, DVI-D (and only DVI-D) *can* carry audio, but this isn't a part of the DVI standard. It's something that Nvidia and AMD decided to add to some of their graphics cards with DVI-D ports.

>DVI is sharper by far
Actually it's not. As long as you have phase and clock properly set in your monitor and a decent cable VGA looks only marginally worse than digital interfaces.

>be 2030
>HDMI on all devices are replaced by USB C
>be at home, have monitor connected to laptop/pc
>watch movies
>accidentally hit desk, everything wobbles on the table
>connected cable falls out of monitor

got my second monitor hooked up through that
works real nice

Deprecated

HDCP?

HurrDurr Content Protection.
Prevents image and audio if handshakes not accurate between devices.
Thus you can't use HDMI for audio unless there's an accepted video source to it.
Pretty annoying for me that use 8 channel lossless audio and have to have a second display even though I only have one monitor to the PC.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-bandwidth_Digital_Content_Protection

Attached: Untitled-1.png (7680x4200, 2.85M)

I don't get it - what's even the point of HDCP, at least on PC, if screen can be capped by dozens of available screen capture software solutions?

It was made to prevent piracy by ripping movies directly from a DVD/BD player to a capture device or instant copy like you could do with VHS.

We all know how well anti-piracy solutions really work.

dual link DVI better than single link

DVI-I dual link for universal, analog and digital
DVI-D dual link for exclusive digital connections

>2030
>still having solved the wobbly table problem

fffffffffffuuuuuu-
i meant haven't

only good thing about DVI is that the older DVI can be turned into VGA. the current one cant thou :(

Fucking this. I love DVI. Tough as fuck, never fucking breaks.
I work doing tier 2 helpdesk for a major retailer and HDMI fucking sucks in a work place environment due to it just not being strong enough for punishment. Some wage cuck decides to cram the PC in to the wall? Broken connector or housing. I've legit never ran in to a damaged VGA or DVI connector ever.
For professional environments (Retail, warehousing, industrial, etc), I'm kinda shocked that the DVI standard has not been expanded upon since it's basically the same signal as HDMI, just need to pass a spec for high data for the cabling and host. I know DP is DVI's replacment but that has it's own issues (Had a lady rip crack the PCB on a projector because she pulled on the DP cable so fucking hard without realizing there was a locking button on it)

Still can on Intel chips, they support analog and that dosn't look to be going away any time soon. Nvidia only dropped it on the 1000 series cards, because of that I feel like I can never let go of my GTX 950.