Career Thread

>quit my job as junior software dev to data analyst for 50% pay increase
>how fucked is my career?

Attached: 1482364607853.png (3072x3118, 2.31M)

How good are you at maths?

Just change for more no tech positions, begin way better work as statistics or actuary that programming, avoid pajeets or outsource.

Average programmer hate maths,

Not good at all. Pretty decent with SQL and VB.Net/C# which is what ill be using.

>Not good at all.
My condolences.

Wasn't one of the requirements.

>more no tech positions
What?

good move.

i'm considering data science after my advisor gives me the octagon hat

>do low level programming in all classes and projects outside of school
>get job at big software company and placed on web dev team
>quit after a year
>every company I apply to wondering why I'm looking for low level positions after working with javascript
JUST

Attached: 1522895902939.jpg (597x597, 54K)

aren't computers just a tool?
if you can create something useful to real humans that is written in js, be proud of that
regardless of how utterly crappy js is

you made something that benefited at least some people; you should be proud of your work, regardless of the crap language you had to use

Working with big data makes me want to kms.

i have no problems with js it's just that I only have a year of experience and no interest in working with it compared to 5 years C/C++

>study math and applied math for muh big data
>can't get hired anywhere since my resume doesn't have the meme words "computer science" on it

I hate it

big data seems totally sexy to me.

if you really are in big data then tell me why i should be disillusioned

you can lie about a ton of shit on ur resume. basically anything that isn't on your transcript or your title at your previous company you can fake as long as you understand the concepts (including what you actually did there if you don't plan on using them as a reference). if they don't explicitly require a CS degree you can probably edit your resume around their buzzwords and job descriptions. I know a lot of places require CS/EE/CE but most of them also accept math/physics as well from what ive seen, especially for data science positions they sometimes look at any science/engineering major.

Shit takes forever, I hope you like working nights and weekends and god forbid you make the tiniest of errors because there goes hours of work and even more hours redoing it.
If any automation doesn't work for whatever shit reason have fun going through a hundreds of files and lines of metadata.

Learn marketing DNA and shit and how to make the algorithms.
Makes usually more money than dev

>aren't all tools equal?
>if you create something "useful" to "real" humans that is made out of cardboard, be proud of that regardless of how utterly crappy cardboard is

Attached: 2500.jpg (215x179, 21K)

Same here.
For whole my life I studied electronics, half of the time logic and low level computing stuff (VHDL and such bullshit) and now I'm looking at all these milenial companies with beanbags and Magento development.
I literally can't find a job in field I mastered in unless I move to USA/Asia and somehow manage to get in ASIC/FPGA design company like Intel or something like that.
Its sad.

It depends where you are doing the data analysis.

Data Science/Analysis in a complete buzzword at this stage and is a fairly generic title thrown onto any job that deals with data. For some companies, it could be creating data pipelines with some sort of ML and for others it could be creating dashboards and trying to convince people that Excel isn't the best way of storing data.

If you are in a good company, then it's a good move. Dev work is a dead end beyond a senior position and unless you can get into some niche area, it pays shit too. As data work is consultancy based from the start, it leads to more money for less effort in the end as the business comes to you rather than trying to tap a niche in the market.

If you are in a junk company who doesn't know themselves what they want out of their data and doesn't even understand their own business, it's career suicide. You might as well write your resignation letter and save it to drafts as you'll inevitably quit.

It's more about understanding common approaches to problems in certain fields and extending or converting them into software. Doing any kind of data analysis blind or without any knowledge of traditional approaches is just stupid.

You traded one meme for another, no damage done.

More like:

>do you have decent SQL knowledge
>can you make powerpoint charts that doesn't look like shit
>can you see patterns and explain difficult things so that even retarded managers can understand them
>can you repair weird data, ie. changing file encoding, realizing data is corrupted and so on..
>are you willing to use meme technologies like hadoop / presto and pretend they are actually good

>Shit takes forever

How about:
>use AWS
>insert coins
>scale up your hardware
>profit

Also:
>If any automation doesn't work for whatever shit reason have fun going through a hundreds of files and lines of metadata.

I buy "scripting langauges" for 100, sweetie.

Data analyst is about the same as programmers earn ( of course depending on the position).

>every company I apply to wondering why I'm looking for low level positions after working with javascript

So what? Of course they ask this. No need to cry.

Just make up a good story ("I wanted a more complete picture of what development can be, but then I found out that low level dev is really my cup of tea").
The'll probably see through it but that doesn't mean they won't hire you.

Pretty much spot on. If your manager is less technical than you then get out asap. I took an analyst role with a shit company and and still trying to convince my boss that access is near useless for large data after 6 months.

who are you quoting?

web dev is basically like sucking dick, once people know you're willing to do it they will all pester you about it.
t. senior developer forced into fullstack

u wot mate?

>smoothtalk your boss
>get some dosh from MGMT to buy a fast db server
>make frontend in Access via ODBC data source
>have a speedup of 1300%
>marry your boss, live happily ever after

>66
>77
>1234

Whoa!
Waht do I win?!?!

>get some dosh from MGMT to buy a fast db server
If only it was that simple.

Most shithole companies don't have a DBA or a proper IT team to maintain a DB server. Then comes the issues of migrating Access to a proper DB. Even if you were to get your wish, you'd need to do this job in addition to whatever you are meant to be paid for and everything is on you if something breaks.

If you weren't to come in as a consultant, then going directly to higher management or the CIO with this information would make your boss look like an idiot. He'd probably start doing whatever he could politically to make your life hell or starve you out in order to keep his job.

Realistically, the only way to save companies like this is to restructure and fire the people who are attached to this old tech to keep their jobs as they can't move on. However, this takes years of losing and a merger with a larger company to do most of the time.

As an analyst or a 'data scientist' here, the best you can do is to leave as soon as you can because these places are graveyards and anyone who tries to change these places will end up completely burned out and tied to the company as they lose their general tech skills and only know the company's fucked up internal processes.

100% this, been there done that in a VB.NET shop with an ancient shitty codebase.