pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC
Search youtube for a build guide for your socket
>How to install Win7 on new CPUs
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1 (embed)

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses - e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g. photo editing, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)
>Don't use Speccy, you retard. Use HWinfo, SIV, etc.

Overclocking
>Use PBO on Ryzen. Legacy overclocking is defunct on Ryzen 2#00X CPUs. [YouTube] The Future Of Overclocking: Updated! Ryzen 2700X (embed)

CPUs
>R3 2200G - Bare minimum gaming (dGPU optional)
>R5 2400G - Consider IF on sale
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>i7-8700K - Best for 1080p gaming, but most expensive when factoring in delid, high-end cooler, etc.
>R7 2700/X - Best high-end gaming/mixed usage on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

Motherboards
>Only Z300 series Intel boards can utilize fast memory

RAM
>8GB - Enough for most gaming use
>16GB - Standard for heavy use
>32GB - If you have to ask, you don't need this much
>Current CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 2933MHz+ is ideal

Graphics cards
>GPU prices have gone down
1080p
>RX 570/580 /w Freesync or 1060 6GB are standard 1080p 60fps+ options
>1050Ti or RX560 for lower settings 1080p, or older games
>GTX 1070Ti/Vega 56 if seeking higher fps & you have a CPU + monitor to match
1440p
>Vega 56 /w Freesync, 1070Ti if you already have Gsync
>GTX 1080Ti if seeking higher fps & you have a CPU + monitor to match
2160p(4K)
>Titan V
OpenCL work
>Vega 64

Storage
>Consider StoreMi
>Consider getting a larger SSD (better GB/$) instead of small SSD & large HDD
>2TB HDDs are barely more $ than 1TB
>M.2 is a form factor, NOT a performance standard

Monitors
>Always consider FreeSync with AMD cards
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING

Previous

Attached: os-tan.png (1920x1200, 1.78M)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/9PCyV6
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232530&ignorebbr=1
pcpartpicker.com/list/4RkVyf
pcpartpicker.com/list/4RkVyf/by_merchant/
pcpartpicker.com/list/BmLsmq
pcpartpicker.com/list/rQGL4q
amazon.com/SilverStone-System-Cables-Black-CPF04/dp/B00VNW556I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1531794391&sr=8-3&keywords=pwm hub
amazon.com/JBtek-Black-Sleeved-Splitter-Converter/dp/B01EF9OI0O/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1531794403&sr=1-3&keywords=fan splitter
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What's more important in a CPU - clock speed or number of cores?

Depends on the kind of programs you use constantly.

Elaborate. What programs and why?

>newegg has mostly better deals than amazon day
I'm actually pleasantly surprised. Between the $20 promo gift card, the extra $20 off when I complained about their customer service and the fact that everything I wanted was on sale, excluding the CPU I'm quite glad with how things went

Did anyone find anything good at all from Amazon day? I think they had some good deals on GPUs

Re-read

If you have to ask, just pick something from the OP

I'm asking which programs favor high clockspeed and which high number of cores

both. get one with a nice middle ground for the price. something like an 8400 or 2600 are good middle grounds as they offer 6 cores and pretty good clock speeds. ~4ghz boost clock is pretty much the standard nowadays.

I think my 4 month old cooler is leaking. I notice a lot more water "sloshing" sounds now. wat do?

Attached: 1518820296014.jpg (800x800, 67K)

do i need nvidia graphics card over intel integrated if i only play games from 2009 and earlier?

Attached: questions-1014060_960_720.jpg (720x720, 35K)

yes because intel graphics is still complete garbage. i could barely run morrowind at a locked 60 fps on my intel graphics at 1080p

Haven't built a computer in years. Can someone fill me in on the Ryzen hype?

huh cause i'd have to choose a high end i5 over a low end i7 to do that. does that make sense? the config im looking at on lenovo.com only makes nvidias availabe with the vpro i7 which is too expensive or the higher end i5.

is a high-end i5 a lot worse?

Programs that interact with the user, usually prefer high speed cores. Pograms that have no, or minimal user input and are just crunching numbers on the other hand can easily be multithreaded and make use of more cores efficiently.

Thanks

Hey Goys I'm about to pull the trigger on this build but need second opinions on the cpu, ram and ssd. This build will only be for gayming.
pcpartpicker.com/list/9PCyV6

don't know what you mean but i assume you're talking about owning a laptop. my laptop has a 6th gen i5 and intel hd graphics 520 and that's what i couldn't run morrowind on. the integrated graphics between an i5 and i7 are identical. you don't get better graphics with an i7 over an i5.

What does Jow Forums think of the i5-8400?

Attached: 2de.gif (281x300, 1.32M)

is it worth getting a high-end i5 over a cheaper i7?

it's completely unbalanced. your cpu is way better than your gpu. the general rule when budgeting for a pc is the gpu should be at least 1/3rd of the total price. for a 1000 build like yours that's around 350-450.
change the 2700x to a 2600x, swap the x470 for the b350 and use that money to go from a 1060 to a 1070 or 1070 ti

>Buying locked CPUs

What if I said that I'll be buying the new 1180's that come out, would it be okay to keep the cpu and mobo?

for mobile laptops?
no because (last time i checked) all i5's and i7's are just dual cores with hyperthreading and the only difference is the clock speeds. my 6th gen i5 in my laptop is actually faster than my friends 4th gen i7 because they're both dual cores but mine has a higher clockspeed

for the desktop?
depends which i5 we're talking about. if it's a modern 6 core one then yes. if you're talking about a 4 core i5 then no, the i7 with it's 8 threads is better.

The cheapest bang for buck, when it comes to gaming. Pair it with a cheap B360 motherboard, cheap RAM(2666 as I remember), since you aren't going to overclock shit and itself doesn't require much power or bells and whistles. Stock cooler is enough for it to not thermal throttle, but a cheap 20-30 cooler will give it all the cooling it could ever need if you want to keep the temps down.
Recommend it to people who mainly care about gaming but not streaming and want to get the most bang for buck.

yeah

my monitor is shitting the bed (Asus pg248q)

I have an overclocked 1070 (came factory overclocked, pushed it further), i5 4670k at 4.2 GHz, 16GB DDR3 RAM. what monitor do I get, bros?

then you should get 8700k, because the 2700x will bottleneck the 1180/ti

that's an expensive monitor what's wrong with it

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232530&ignorebbr=1 Is this a b-die ram? And will it work for 2600x or 2700x?

these are my choices. only 8350u and 8650u come with nvidia. wat do?

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 8.20.44 PM.png (880x323, 85K)

then just get that or find another manufacturer who has i7 with nvidia graphics if you want the i7

I'm looking for a 1440p non-TN 27" for a while now and there are many options but all come with some major downside.
Now, the screen should be a jack of all trades.
I like watching movies and anime, do work on it and play games.
I'm fine with 60Hz but G-Sync would be a nice bonus since I already have a 1080.
I now have the option for two deals:
1. A used Acer XB270HU for about 350-400€.
2. New Acer XB271HU for 599€.
Are those good? Reviews are good but blb issues etc are reported.
Also, are there any other great options that suit my needs for similar price?

The I5 is good enough if you only play games.
Which laptop are you trying to buy?

mg279q or pg279q

Which is more worth a 500gb SSD or 1TB SSD? Do they really fill up so easily?

500GB SSD with a 2TB WD Blue.

flickering on the screen at random intervals, getting very hot, weird lines appearing at times... sometimes it's fine, sometimes not. that's what I get for buying on eBay

see if it still has warranty. contact asus and see what they can do for you. i bought a gtx 980 off ebay once and it couldn't hold it's factory clocks without black screening and the guy who sold it before obviously thought it was faulty and tried to sell it on to make his money back. he fucked up because i found out it was still in warranty, rma'd it and got a gtx 1070 in return.

Don't the use the same AUO panel?

no they use different panels.

>Threadripper 1950x is down to 700$ in newegg
I am fucking tempted to buy it as the sale ends in 4 days. Should I wait till mid August to see if the 2990x drops the prices of the older Threadrippers?

Attached: dbwthwoxkaeehmw-1.jpg.324b24f4c47236d1eaf463abf6ad95a3.jpg (1166x925, 65K)

Solid bang/buck base CPU for gaming. Important not to overcapitalise with over priced motherboard or RAM though, otherwise you may as well step up to a B350/2600 Ryzen.

yeah I'll check, thanks

WTB, fuck off.

1070TI or 1080 8gb for 1440p/144hz? since i literally ordered everything else, doesn't look like im gonna hold out for the 1100 series cards.

Warranties are they worth it for every individual component especially for a first time builder?

If the 1080 can be had at 1070ti price, then get that. Otherwise the 1080 is redundant when marketed alongside a 1070ti at their usual pricing.

I hear the stock cooler on the 2600x is surprisingly good for the price (free). Should I bother paying for a better one if I plan to use PBO?

Does anyone make cases that intentionally look like shitty old beige PCs from the 90s but have all of the trappings of good modern PC cases?

Attached: 31pRfctBF4L.jpg (300x300, 9K)

NVS 315 or GT 710?

Sleeper pcs are under appreciated.

Why do you guys hate Kingston SSDs?

They have shitty controllers in general(Not even low end SSDs they have them), low end has mystery meat NAND, lack DRAM cache, expensive for what they are.

They are just a bad buy in general.

You will get better results with a better cooler, whether they're much better is a case by case basis. If it were me, I'd just use the stock cooler to begin with to see how it went, and upgrade if it wasn't meeting my requirements.

Stop buying aics
3d graphics acceleration has benefitted since like the 90s
It's cheaper than Intel and does the same thing, making it valuable for both gamers and production. With a slight loss in performance on single core vs gains on multicore. It comes unlocked so it's cool for people who don't want to get flagship chips to overclock. Motherboard chipsets are more lax with features, including amd crossfire and ram overclocking, with the high end adding sli support rather than Intel locking most of that to their z and x lineups.
I'd get a 500 for os and programs and a mech for games and media. 1th Is fine too but I doubt you'll fill a 500 doing what I just said.
Just buy an old pc case. They do the same thing.
They fucked around and lied about their speeds. In general they aren't great ssds either, and paying a bit more for a sandisk or s crucial is generally considered better.
Neither of those will run anything. If you just need a gpu for desktop use plenty of better ones are sold dirt cheap.

I just bought a 240gb as a gift over the same priced WD Green at the same capacity.

Surely it's at least far better at running an OS than a 2 year old HDD?

what is a good 1080p monitor with hdr?

I got a 4K IPS monitor. I'm returning it because it has an impurity obscuring pixels right in the middle and a stuck bright pixel, but anyway I opted for a refund instead of a replacement because I have mixed feelings about it. 27" in 4K is definitely not big enough without DPI scaling, but I feel like 31.5" would be too big in general. 60Hz I can probably handle, but the input lag/motion blur seems pretty bad on IPS, despite this panel (XG2700-4K) having a reasonable response time and input lag for IPS as far as I have seen. I was getting motion sickness playing Half-Life. Any suggestions on what to do? I like having access to 4K content and clean scaling from 1080p, but so far the gaming experience is not so good, and the framerate is not divisible by 24, so I have to switch to 48Hz manually to watch stuff. I will keep using this for a day or two before sending it back, but would like to know if anyone who has actually used 4K monitors has a suggestion.

Lenovo ThinkVision X1

>Decide to buy EVGA 1070 Ti FTW2
>Seems to be only 1070 Ti with RGB LEDs that doesn't have retarded shit written on it
>It's kinda pricey, wait for a sale
>finally goes on sale today
>price shoots up to $580 before I get a chance to buy it

God fucking damn it, building PCs used to be fun. All I want is customizable LEDs without gay shit like "Republic of Gamers" or "Push the limit" on it.

PCPartPicker part list: pcpartpicker.com/list/4RkVyf
Price breakdown by merchant: pcpartpicker.com/list/4RkVyf/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Walmart)
Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($89.89 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $394.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-16 21:33 EDT-0400
Walmart undercut Amazon, which was already putting the 1600 on sale. The Mobo and the RAM seemed like the best I could find on PCPP that simultaneously a) fit the criteria (3000MHz+, worked with GNU/Linux, not obnoxious RGB garbage, six SATA ports), b) didn't have a million shit reviews, and c) weren't ridiculously expensive. How poorly did I do?

Attached: confused mini.png (440x419, 15K)

It almost makes me wish I kept my old eMachines PC case from 2003.

Attached: 72007-emachines-t3085.jpg?width=400&height=300.jpg (400x300, 20K)

>6ms gtg
>no adaptive sync
>integrated speakers
>integrated spying hardware
nice try but no

old prebuilt cases had proprietary wiring didn't they?

anyone? i have currently have a viewsonic VX2457-mhd

integrated speakers don't add onto the cost. in fact a lot of great monitors have integrated speakers and are cheaper than a similar monitor without speakers. you don't have to use them lol

Some of them had unique standoffs, or the whole mother board was flipped or something.

>If you just need a gpu for desktop use plenty of better ones are sold dirt cheap.
Thing is I have a shitty old slim line PC and would need to keep adding new parts for anything better. At that point I might as well starting building a new pc from scratch. I only really use photoshop and light emulation, no heavy name gaming or anything.

Attached: turd.jpg (656x585, 146K)

>Stop buying aics
why didn't anyone say something BEFORE. I posted my build here. ppl said it was fine.

/pcbg/ is full of idiots. don't listen to them.

if you have a half heigh pcie slot you can get a 750ti half height :o
they're very nice.

Buy a used 2nd-4th gen I5 office computer (Thinkcentre m91p, m92p, m93p) for $60-120.
The put a low end GPU on it like a low profile GT 1030 or 1050Ti.

>/pcbg/ is full of idiots. don't listen to them.
fair point.

so what do I do now? RMA?

Need help upgrading this gaming computer I've had for quite some time now, but I'm not sure where to begin. From my point of view, if I upgrade one thing then something else will be the new bottleneck so I may need to start from scratch. Parts not listed in the partpicker are a Viewsonic VA2746 and an Antec mid tower.
pcpartpicker.com/list/BmLsmq

yeah. just return that piece of shit.

Fuck it

I think that my wireless card is shit

Will try to to buy a Ethernet cable any tips on what buy?

Attached: Screen_Shot_20180714_at_11.59.41_AM.png (1872x1410, 2.93M)

What does that mean in practical terms? Do they not last as long? Are they slow?

What are the specific weaknesses of a Kingston A400 SSD compared to a Samsung Evo 860? Or a Sandisk?

>does not want "Strix"
>unironically wants a shopping list with "FTW" on the end
Makes sense.

Rate my build! Its going to be my first built pc (:

pcpartpicker.com/list/rQGL4q

the 290x should last you a little while longer. I'd wait for 7nm zen but if you really want to upgrade right now then a 2600 with b-die ram is fine. Maybe get a seasonic psu.

Last less, way less reliable (Meaning it can die randomly unlike other SSDs), slower.

>Against Samsung
Slower, NAND is worse so it will accept less writes, etc.
You are literally comparing the worst SSD in the market with the SSD that is considered the gold standard.

>Against sandisk, ADATA, Crucial
Depends which one, but mostly durability and speeds, also most modern SSDs are reliable enough to last 6-10 years atleast, Kingston and PNY SSDs being the exceptions because they cheap out in everything.

>ddr4-3200
meme

Other than ASRocks are considered "just werks" motherboards, looks good.

Why are G-sync monitors so damn expensive? I only want a 144Hz 1080p one but they're all over $500 (CAD) while their FreeSync equivalent are just over $200.

Is the Predator XB241H really the cheapest one?

Attached: NVidia-G-Sync.jpg (700x400, 134K)

get b-die memory and a better hdd. Looks good otherwise.

all wireless cards are shit
buy a... all ethernet cords are basically the same. unless youre wiring your entire house just get the feet you need. usually 50 is good.
dang that's a sexy one too. i love the g3 and the phanteks

nvidia are cock enthusiasts when it comes to opensource hardware/software. They could implement freesync compatibility but they decided to make their own proprietary copy of it.
if it was an intel chip then you'd be correct.

The FTW part is much smaller than the "EVGA GTX 1070 Ti" part, rather than "Republic of Gamers" being the main thing written on the card.

If it just says Strix I wouldn't mind. The reason I like the EVGA card is that the main thing that draws your eye is just the make and model of the card, with the branding gimmick being a secondary thing. I know it's a silly gripe to have, but I'd simply prefer something like "FTW" or "Strix" over "GAYMER™"

gsync is more for the high end. you get 4k 144hz gsync monitors and 1440p 165hz. for 1080p very few exist and they're normally not worth it. just get a normal 144hz 1080p monitor and use it without gsync. in practice there's no difference.

t. been going that for ages now

desu typing this on an 1800x with patriot 3200mhz ram. bruh that b die thing is a meme. maybe i'm not gaming properly or something but i consider the 1060 6gb the good card for 1440p 60fps and that b die ram is a meme unless you need a billion fps in quake 3.

What do you do when your PC case has three fans but your motherboard only has two fan inputs?

Attached: 1525628058460.gif (950x1150, 2.09M)

why did you buy an 1800x over a 1600x if you were going to run 1440p? could have had a 1070.

You put 2 fans.

What motherboard do you have?

IDK, I bought it years ago as a combo with my I5. I just recently got a new case that has an extra fan I can't use.

1800x was a massive deal and i already owned a 1060 6gb from my last build. my ram decided to ram out on me so i decided to get a ryzen.

amazon.com/SilverStone-System-Cables-Black-CPF04/dp/B00VNW556I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1531794391&sr=8-3&keywords=pwm hub

amazon.com/JBtek-Black-Sleeved-Splitter-Converter/dp/B01EF9OI0O/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1531794403&sr=1-3&keywords=fan splitter

You buy a fan splitter/controller.

OR you buy fans that have a daisy chain plug so they work together, see Arctic PWM fans.

looking to buy a new storage today, the 2 i'm deciding on are a 3TB Barracuda 7200RPM for 60$ or a 2TB FireCuda Hybrid Drive for 70$.

is there any reason for me to go for the hybrid drive if the only thing i'm going to store are large games (bigger than the 8gb that is ssd flash memory) and movies?

Attached: 1514060565099.jpg (126x99, 4K)