Why are G-sync monitors so damn expensive...

Why are G-sync monitors so damn expensive? I only want a 144Hz 1080p one but they're all over $500 (CAD) while their FreeSync equivalent are just over $200.

Is the Predator XB241H really the cheapest one?

Attached: NVidia-G-Sync.jpg (700x400, 134K)

I got an AOC G2460PG 144hz, 1080p, G-Sync, for $320CAD like 4 months ago. Just gotta look for deals.

Wow, that's actually a really good price. I'll keep an eye out but I'm stuck on 60Hz until then. It hurts.

Gysnc is a suite of features: it does 3d, backlight strobing (ulmb), and some models are exploitable to allow gsync and ulmb to run simultaneously.

Freesync offers frame synching and only a few very select expensive models offer backlight strobing. But a majority of the time it is a single feature with no additional hardware added.

So in summery gsync monitors are expensive because they are physically different and require dedicated purpose made panels.

G-Sync is Nvidia's proprietary implementation. FreeSync is AMD's royalty free implementation. The cost of licensing Nvidia's G-Sync is passed on to you, the consumer.

Apparently the Gsync chipset is some super expensive ASIC that is expensive to manufacture in the first place.

Luckily the new HDMI standard will support variable refresh naively.

This vendor lock, G-sync tax bullshit is one of the most niggardly moves Nvidia has ever pulled. You drop a big fucking load on one of these monitors, and then you're basically locked in to the green team forever unless you want to go through the additional hassle of selling your monitor. It'd be a bit less shitty if they still sold the DIY G-sync kits like they used to.

Name one Freesync monitor this isn't locked to amd

Freesync is actually an amd vendor locked variant of adaptive sync

Intel and Nvidia are choosing not to support it, whereas AMD and Intel can't support Gsync.

intel supports adaptive sync

Freesync is an open standard that can be implemented by any graphics vendor. Intel had planned to support Freesync awhile back, but I don't believe anything ever came of it. We'll see what happens now that they're ramping up their gpu game, though.

AMD chooses not to adopt the open standard adaptive sync. Intel and Nvidia is 10x bigger than AMD. They shouldn't and wouldn't adopt an amd standard. Look at it from a consumer point of view, not from the eyes of an amd fanboy.

Freesync is an registered amd trademark.

any display company can shit out Freesync/adaptative sync compatible displays without AMD ever knowing about it, different than Nvidia

when you buy into G-Sync you have to pay goy tax so it makes it more expensive

Why do you think?

Attached: 1381679340819.png (566x677, 198K)

>Nvidia is 10x bigger than AMD
nvidia isn't in the consoles
amd is
amd is bigger than nvidia and there are more freesync displays and more devices capable of supporting freesync displays than there are gsync displays and that support gsync

True, there are Korean Freesync panels for dirt cheap. There's absolutely zero semblance of any quality check. It's an dumpster fire of a brand.

>nvidia isn't in the consoles
what the fuck is the nintendo switch then

Consoles are small time. Nvidia is balls deep into enterprise and machine learning. Those markets have infinitely deep pockets. Consoles are loss leaders.

Every tesla out there have 2x pascal gpus inside them. It's fucking crazy.

well obviously. everyone knows console hardware isn't profitable to the point nvidia actually turned down making the ps4. i guess they had a fuckload of tegras that they couldn't sell so they signed with nintendo to get rid of them

Dell S2716DG for $381 May 23, 2018 US eat a dick OP

$381 USD is $500 CAD, which is the price OP mentioned. You're an idiot.

gsync and freesync are entirely useless

>1 cad =.75 usd

Damn what happened to Canada?

higher interest rates in USA = USD strength

>144Hz screens
Oh geez /v/tards are back

Sold all the gold reserves and scrubbed the military so he could pay for more multiracial dykes in government and free housing for Haitians.

Attached: prime-minister-justin-trudeau-visits-the-ottawa-main-sikh-te3[1].jpg (1000x750, 36K)

What?

Can't you guys just game at 60hz?

Have you ever used 144hz?

Have you ever used a good CRT?

Attached: 1500844548243.png (222x293, 148K)

I've used CRT's but never a "good" one. I wish I knew where to find one at a reasonable price.

Maybe if you stop buying all those gaming screens you could afford one

I use a S24F350. I would hardly call it a gaming monitor.