OS installation

Im getting a new SSD and want to move my Windows to it.
Is there a way to do it without having to reinstall everythiing?

Attached: win.jpg (300x168, 4K)

Yes

Install Gentoo.

No

Well now im just confused

Maybe

Maybe

/thread

no. The fastest way is to install fresh windows and then just copy on top of the new install all the shit from the previus windows (user folder, program files folder). Of course some programs won't work, but it takes less time to install a few programs than doing a fresh install of every single one.

I don't know

Thanks i will probably do that

Actually there is a way but if OP can't google it then he won't understand it either.

If you buy from a reputable brand like Samsung, or Crucial, they come with software to do that for you.

Can you repeat the question?

Was planning to get the Kingston A400 240GB one

Backup everything on an external HDD just to be safe. Boot up Linux live distro of your choice. Use gParted to clone partition from old HDD to new ssd.

If you can't use gParted (at least with the help of Google) there is no point in trying to help you anyway.

Thanks i wasn't really sure about using cloning apps.

If you've not heard of Acronis already, kys.

Western digital have a free version of acronis shipped with all there external HD's.

This is as nice as im being today.

Clone the system partition onto the new drive with software of your choice. Use EasyBCD to copy the bootloader config.

Attached: Control Panel.png (985x697, 123K)

So much misinformation here. It's like we're all waiting to
>epic le troll
>hardy harr harr we're so cheeky
>newfag delete system32
>I'm so leet

Most SSD's including Samsung, come with cloning software. The process isn't always streamlined, given how your existing installation, and if it differs from a standard installation. But if it in fact is a standard installation, then the cloning process is pretty easy to perform. Leave the old drive, that you're cloning, installed and hook up the new SSD externally, to clone. Once cloning is complete, swap them out.

>inb4 Jow Forums is not anons personal tech support army

True but this shit is so easy. If you're going to be a dick an
>le ebic troll
then just inform user about Jow Forums not being tech support. Don't toy with user just for the sake of your superiority complex.

I personally would prefer to perform a fresh install for the new SSD. But I've done this both ways. For clients I simply clone. For my personal equipment I just PXE boot and re-image the new drive from a preexisting base image.
>inb4 HURRR DURRR out of date image
My Images are automatically updated via WSUS

Yes. Cloning software will do that.

Clone current system drive to SSD and change the default boot drive to SSD in motherboard's bios.

sudo dd if=/dev/oldHDD of=/dev/newHDD

irrelevant outside of linux

OP is obviously a windows user. But I'm glad you know how to do it on your machine, very helpful contribution, per the subject matter of OP's question.

Attached: 1531458478436.gif (266x268, 1.07M)

cool story

You can do it this way on a linux live cd retard

You see, he could use thing called...
Yes. This.

mmmk so lets make create more steps than what is absolutely necessary, to perform the most basic of cloning tasks, with software, typically included by the SSD's manufacturer. Stop trying to redpill everyone to use linux, unless it's necessary.

Attached: 1525956634022.jpg (1124x1080, 178K)

you forgot the part where grub won't boot the new GUID because linux is made by retards

There is that after all I suppose

Attached: hryk.jpg (800x598, 72K)

>unironically wants to use windows
>not trolling that faggot

You do realize the partitions with their GUIDs will get cloned as well?
t. did this when migrating from samshit to x220

MiniTool Partition Wizard. Just werks

Go away signature, twitter syntax fag. We we're doing fine before you decided to grace us with your cancer.

Attached: 876876565887.jpg (409x428, 19K)

I get it, but sometimes, I want to avoid perpetuating the notion that we're slowly evolving into a technology inspired /b/

It's bad enough Jow Forums users are now adopting twitter syntax, by signing their posts with irrelevant syntax that no one uses here.

Attached: U98U7Y.jpg (480x253, 21K)

drive cloning

as points out, lots of manufacturers offer cloning sofrware with their drives. if you got a bare drive, just go on their website and search.

for your next install have a vm of your daily windows install and use host os only when you need its horsepower. then you have a portable windows partition and powerhouse

Not a bad idea, but I think OP is novice tier.

Attached: nos.jpg (317x176, 4K)

>It's bad enough Jow Forums users are now adopting twitter syntax, by signing their posts with irrelevant syntax that no one uses here.

oh is that what that is? having never used twitter because im not a faggot, i thought that shit was some kind of fag signaling/signature