Why is Python better than VB6?

And what happened to VB6?
Genuine question, this is not bait.
Last time I was into programming was when I was 15 years old, which was 10 years ago and I wanna get into programming again.
As a good old script kiddie I used VB6 to right cute little persistent keyloggers, phishing tools and so on.
So why did the Visual Basic project die?
I heard VB6 is still usable under Win10. Why not use it?
It's so easy to build GUIs with VB6.
What advantages does Python have? Can I build GUIs just as easily?

Attached: serveimage.png (456x355, 24K)

>So why did the Visual Basic project die?
Because it was replaced with the .NET framework.
Visual Basic .NET is the followup to VB6.

Just download Visual Studio Personal. VB.Net is like 90% the same as it was back in the VB6 days, but there is some differences.

Python is a whole other thing, not really comparable to VB at all other then both can be interpreted or compiled in to psudocode.

Microsoft killed it off and made VB.NET

>As a good old script kiddie I used VB6 to right cute little persistent keyloggers, phishing tools and so on.
same lol
i still use VB6 occasionally if i just need to do some quick random shit but VB .NET is more modern and a more consistent language that does away with some of the old VB quirks. that said, the old VB still lives on in VBA even in the latest MS office. you'd be surprised how much of the financial world still depends on old VB thanks to excel

Sometimes I wonder if Microsoft will ever truly kill Visual Studio 6. Its kinda become MS's COBOL. Sure, they don't support it but I'd imagine all the code that is still out there live interacting with their modern OSs is a torn in their side.

> GUIs with VB6
Yourcompanyapp.jpg
Also scaling issues on hi dpi screens

>a torn

Visual Basic 6.0 was part of Visual Studio 6.0 which came out in 1998. The version of Visual Studio that came after 6.0 was Visual Studio 2002.NET which was bloated shit. A lot of programmers hated VS2002 and VS2003 as they considered the UI to be ruined.

As to why Visual Basic is no longer used, its reallly just a Pascal-like language that uses BASIC syntax, like using the sub keyword for functions. BASIC was Bill Gates pet language, he started MS out by selling his BASIC interpreter which was the only programming language light enough to run in the tiny mount of RAM that personal computers had then. VB is just a shitty designed language, its probably the worst commonly used programming language ever. VB7 tries to fix it but the idea of using BASIC keywords in a modern language is just stupid.

>he started MS out by selling his BASIC interpreter which was the only programming language light enough to run in the tiny mount of RAM that personal computers had then
Not true. PL/M was even lighter and more powerful

>As a good old script kiddie I used VB6 to right cute little persistent keyloggers, phishing tools and so on.
suuuure you did. edgy faggot.

PL/M was a systems language and it was used to make the CP/M operating system. It was an extremely low level language and was not sold commercially. And it could NOT run on 4k of RAM, Gary used larger mainframe computers to work with PL/M.

>basic plebs
use delphi.

nostalgia hit me hard with that splash screen
holy shit

First .net that was good was 2005, you are right in that 2002 and 2003 sucked.
But 2005 was really rock solid, it was the thing that finally made me move away from 6.

Our sole developer at my company who's due to retire soon swears by vb6. Built all our software with it. Sure some aspects of it's interface look dated but it definitely all works on win 7/10.
He got unicode running using hexagora so it could support multiple languages amongst many other hacked in editions over the years.

More likely an advantage than a torn, businesses will need to keep using their platform to support legacy programs

I've always wanted to maintain an old VB6 program for a medium to large-sized company. Be the dude that they can't get rid of because they're so dependent on the program, but the work has largely dried up and you're just basically being paid to be the long-term maintainer and maybe fix a few bugs a year.

I recall 2 CDs you could always find lying around everywhere in the late 90s/early 00s were AOL discs and VB6 trial version discs. VB6 was commonly used because it was commonly available. Littering CDs everywhere was how you got adoption in the age of dialup.

I am still using VB6 today to make some absolutely basic GUIs for some shit. It's really handy

Attached: unknown.png (328x245, 5K)

You used to be able to subclass vb6 windows to enable visual styles under XP, so I'd be willing to bet that you can throw some hacky-as-shit scaling fix together too.
Tell him to see above if you care about the appearance.

I'll pass this on to him.
Although he's enjoying playing with micro pyhton at the moment. He finds c# a chore.

he knows many languages, he started his career on punch card machines and broke his back on DECs.
I love talking to him about concepts and languages etc. He loves his smart phones. I'm just to much of a brainlet to code myself. I'd love it it for him to be my mentor.

Does this just execute stuff on the command line or how does that work?