What's the point of using a non-Windows OS? Do you just want to feel special? Unique?

What's the point of using a non-Windows OS? Do you just want to feel special? Unique?

Attached: Windows Market Share.png (1125x735, 34K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Atfix4mK5Qg
bing.com/search?q=how to set an ethernet connection as metered on windows 10&form=B00032
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I want an OS that just works, not one in which I have to spend time disabling ads and spyware

No forced updates, free...

I find the tasks I need to do more comfortable on Linux and when you have a < 1 MB/s connection an operating system that might just decide to download a couple gigabytes without your permission isn't really acceptable.

So my parents can't ask me how to do stuff on their computers any more.

Freedom stupid.

Good, but it didn't work with mine tho.

you know if you include mobile devices it looks WAY different, linux wins

and you know if you look at servers instead of home computers, it looks WAY different too, windows is probably a minority these days i'd guess

Why is your connection so bad? Do you live out in the middle of nowhere?

>Do you live out in the middle of nowhere?
Yes. We should be able to get more like 2.5 MB/s but the signal-to-noise ratio on the line is complete shit and they aren't interested in fixing it.

check your connection off as metered. no auto downloads

That option doesn't exist in Windows 10 if you're using Ethernet, at least not last I checked.

Windows has terrible security. Linux is what hackers/pentesters use

MB or mbit/s?
Those units are like 8 times

t. failed larper who couldn't get a distro installed and/or couldn't rice

I don't like ads. I don't like not having a package manager. I don't like proprietary software. I don't like forced updates. I like to make my OS look like and do what the fuck I want.

Megabytes. The connection is about 7 megabits/s.

Some people are fine with the Toyota carola, others want the Ferrari. It's ok, OP. Your carola will still get you to point B eventually

>carola
wtf user

Oops, Corolla.

8 mbit/s is maximum what ADSL can deliver, and 5-6 is what you can get if wires are good, and 1-2 - if wires are shit.

>Do you just want to feel special?
No.
>Unique?
Not really.

Ubuntu MATE or Xubuntu. They just werk.

Actually if you include Android, Linux would be closer to even with Windows.

To hide from the jews.

Honestly? I got a new harddrive and was too lazy to look up how to move my win7 installation from one to the other, didn't have the activation code written anywhere.

>They just werk.
Same with Fedora. Much simpler to set up how I want than Windows 10 is.

But you had an existing windows 7 install, the code is in the control panel under system information

But droid aint gnu.

why did Jow Forums not tell me this? i asked on stupid questions thread. I just got insulted with image macros.

Jow Forums won't help you keep hurting yourself

Lol, you can't be serious. But hey, you like using Linux now because of it so that's fantastic.

You're right. There are plenty of "working" distros out there. I just threw out few of the most obvious ones.

I guess it shows that i've been using Gnome 2 since in 2008 and gravitate towards similar setups

>Gnome 2
them memories, man. gnome 2 is good. using xfce these days

I use Ubuntu because I'm pretty much computer illiterate and my graphics card failed when I couldn't afford a new one.
I couldn't get opengl 3 to work using software acceleration on Windows so I just started using Ubuntu because it has it by default.

Nothing wrong with that. Ubuntu is made for people want to skip the config and work :)

Ubuntu is more difficult to use. To install any software you need to write gibberish into a command prompt. On windows, you click run and accept, easy.

THIS-IS-BAIT.OGG

Attached: 1530109545221.jpg (432x576, 27K)

You're stupid as fuck. Ubuntu, especially, has a gui for software installs that you can just click and run

Just in case you're not baiting you can just drag and drop files into the terminal window, no need to type.

>not running 20 different OS's at the same time
>fail

Attached: Screenshot_20180718_040510.png (1017x478, 73K)

What if I want to install League of Legends on Ubuntu. Convoluted mess. On Windows it's literally just 2 right clicks.

youtube.com/watch?v=Atfix4mK5Qg

It is simply a better option. Doing what is most popular if that's a shitty option doesn't make it less shit. Windows is fucking spyware
>running unsupported software written for a different operating system, natively, is a hassle
No one is shocked. If you want to run an OS so you can play league then you do that. I don't give a fuck about it, so it doesn't factor in as a selling point at all.

And we can stop this meme about installing things in ubuntu of all distros being difficult and requiring terminal work. It doesn't. There has been a point & click solution for years. You can even download a .deb from the internet and it will install it for you. You have to be braindead to fail at this desu

Attached: uss.png (869x683, 146K)

The only real benefit for me would be not having to use WSL and git bash, trying to get python working on windows made my ass hurt.

>What if I want to install League of Legends
Play a better game

I like Ubuntu Mate. I only use Windows to play my Steam games.
I don't feel special for something like my OS preference, that's silly.

The thing is, all games are clunky and unnecessarily difficult to install on Ubuntu.

>extract brogue
>play
>Clunky and unnecessarily difficult
Here, I've purchased the tickets for your goalposts. How far do you want them to move?

Start Play on Linux (you have it installed, right?)
Install Program > Games > League of Legends and click through the installing process (which takes a long time).

Too bad that the game is shit.

bing.com/search?q=how to set an ethernet connection as metered on windows 10&form=B00032

>Bing
Fuck off, poojeet

That's literally the link Win10 has in the Ethernet connection settings.

>Windows 10
See

>literally illiterate
That's the context of the question, Jamal.

It's always funny how Android is Linux when it suits you, and isn't the nanosecond it doesn't.

I forgot to include him in the reply, that is all

>answers question
>freetards immediately attack answer for nothing other than ideological reasons

Trips of truth. Worse, he next time the subject comes up, will ask the same question, or swear blind it can't be done - despite being educated here.

I use Windows 7 though

Windows is invasive malware.
What it does should be illegal.

Under linux I have complete control over my computer. Anyone who doesn't understand the importance and difference is a simpleton.

>complete control over my computer
Is that even possible?

In win 7 you can disable automatic updates outright

I want an OS that doesn't actively hate me. An OS that supports all the POSIX programs natively. An OS with non shit WM/DE/File manager/FS structure. With a package manager that actually has programs. And that supports Sketch, Pixelmator and FCPX :^

I thought you were referring to my Bing comment. If you were not, then that's my bad

POSIX is shit though
>muh ricin
Grow up

I don't rice.
POSIX is, kinda, but it's the best popular one.

Windows is fucking terrible that's why.

>Horrible frankenstein UI
>Driver problems everywhere
>Ads in an OS I've already paid for
>Ignores basic feature requests that were made when it was in beta
>Invades your privacy for profit
Anything after Windows 7 was a mistake.

>Driver problems everywhere
You aren't even trying. Nor had you ever used Windows 10.
Try better next time, nonny! ^;)

This is the absolute worst part.
The fucking ads are impossible to remove without clicking 50 million things in settings.

It shouldn't even be there to begin with.

I want an OS that allows me to uninstall its builtin file manager

I use it at home.

I install regular Win10 as I was running LTSB before and the audio drivers don't work properly. Nothing has fixed it thus far meanwhile my Hackintosh SSD runs flawlessly without audio problems.
I manage tech for a small startup and the amount of times shit just stops working because of drivers is ridiculous, docks stop working out of nowhere, usb receivers refuse to work one day after a software update, "reset this PC" fails and spits out some nonsense error so I'm left to wipe the entire thing with a usb drive. Virtually everything Windows has a fucking terrible UI, people constantly complain about VSTS and not being able to find shit, all of the management software looks and behaves horribly, the azure dashboard stuff is garbage and yet our MS bill is still crazy every month.

not a relevant argument, straw man

>clicking 50 million things in settings
It's literally one checkbox lmao.

No it isn't. You know damn well it's not that easy.
And even when you do succeed, the update will undo it all.

Windows is shit

>And even when you do succeed, the update will undo it all.
You are literally lying now. It's literally one checkbox and my windows is fully up to date and not a single update messed with the setting.

My os doesn't reboot (lol updates) computer durring slow dying hdd recovery process in middle of night.
It also doesn't spy on me.
doesn't try to put adds in my face (windws. Non free. Wants to show adds to you on lock screen and in mail app... fuck that).
doesn't rest privacy settings on every update.
Doesn't send telemetry to pajeets.
Has superior customization.

Why are people using windows?... oh yah. Gayms.

>You are literally lying now.
Fuck off.

Attached: I got this off once, now it's back again.png (429x793, 26K)

Dumb disinfo shill.

I literally refuted your statement.
Fucking mods need to keep track of you fuckers.

>Literally lying
How come I have never encountered any of the "problems" you seem to face consistently, oh-so-honest anonymous?
I had to set up 6 different PCs with different hardware of different ages - all use Win10, all work perfectly fine.

You are literally lying, user. I agree with another user here. You look pathetic to anyone who knows at least something about Win10.

>hey let's make it like more than one person agrees with him so they're more convinced he's the shill

You're too fucking simple.
I posted a fucking shot of the exact thing I was claiming. Your arguments are blown the fuck out. Fuck off.

You refuted nothing, disinfo shill. No, there's not more than one setting to disable ads, and no, it doesn't reset upon updating.

Autism.

Attached: autism.jpg (1149x813, 201K)

>I didn't have the same experience setting up A WHOLE 6 MACHINES nor do I work in tech yet I'm gonna call you a liar

Attached: 1464772612718.gif (640x480, 1001K)

>my arguments have been utterly BTFO so now I resort to greentext shitposts
Like clockwork.

Attached: 1299769290728.jpg (90x91, 12K)

This is a fair point. I fucking hate ads and that cortana bitch. I dont know how w10 improved anything about w7

Nah, I'm this user. And I agree with this user who just called you a literal liar which you are.
You posted a fucking shot of you using Start Menu search function which also searches the Store. If you search Minecraft there it'll find Minecraft for you, because that's what you're searching for. This user who called you a "dumb disinfo shill" is absolutely correct here because you are a dumb disinfo shill who thinks he can cover his blatant lies with dumb disinfo.
What you are saying essentially is that Google is advertising horse-fucking websites because if you type the horse-fucking website name in the search bar it'll find you the horse-fucking website. That's a disinforming statement which is equal to yours and just as dumb.

I didn't have the same experience with several dozens of machines I had to work with. But those 6 were built, set up, and maintained by me so I know everything about them. The main point here is that they all have vastly different hardware ranging from early 2000 to late 2016.

>You refuted nothing
Why is it so fucking hard to turn off the ads?
I'll tell you why, because they don't want you to turn them off.

Win10 can go fuck itself. If it wasn't for their monopolies on features required for interaction with other computers, I would not be using this piece of shit at all.

Attached: ads.png (438x794, 23K)

you now realize your cellphone uses a non-Microsoft operating system
you brainlet retarded faggot

>You posted a fucking shot of you using Start Menu search function which also searches the Store
>searches the Store
>literally advertised suggestions from it's store

Attached: 1518105257713.gif (498x498, 617K)

finally someone said it

And google advertises the horse-fucking websites, absolutely correct anonymous.

>do a search
>get mad when you get results

pinnacle of autism

and the best part? Microsoft failed to enter the cellphone market

The windows search shouldn't even suggest ANYTHING from the store. You search for that IN the store at most.
It should be only searching for crap within your computer as it is.

Every time I've figured out a way to remove the store, the setting is "updated" and you're forced to do it again.

I never knew Microsoft advertises Debian!
Wow!

Attached: theAnonIsJustAutistic.png (843x691, 53K)