Say something nice about it.

Attached: images.jpg (225x225, 6K)

Other urls found in this thread:

slackware.osuosl.org/slackware64-current/slackware64/
slackware.osuosl.org/slackware64-14.2/patches/packages/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Softlanding_Linux_System
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

happy birthday pat

Attached: no-this-is-patrick.jpg (604x453, 44K)

oldest distro is best distro.

It's snappy.

nobody uses it

I do

Add flatpak, Docker, and flatpak Dolphin integration to the next release and it will be my default distro.

This.

You were my first.

She was also my first.

Is it still usable for modern use?

Slack was the distro that really sparked my lasting interest in Linux. Something about the lack of system defaults and having to tinker in the command line really intrigued me at the time.

There hasn't been a new release for a couple of years now, but I've had good luck with it right up to the latest version. Only switched to Mint because I was too lazy to mess with SlackBuilds any time I wanted a new piece of software.

Easy to use as a justwerks system and easy to tinker with and use non-default software or configurations. Super versatile and stable. I view it as the point release version of Void.

lol wat?

Attached: 2018-07-18-111403_704x440.png (704x440, 126K)

ditto here

Happy birthday Slackware you!

-current exists
>slackware.osuosl.org/slackware64-current/slackware64/
>PACKAGES.TXT - 2018-07-17
also -14.2 has patches/ subdir for newer package
>slackware.osuosl.org/slackware64-14.2/patches/packages/
>mutt-1.10.1-x86_64-1_slack14.2.txz - 2018-07-16

wow, a tripfag with a shitty opinion. it's good to see there are always some constants in the world

He asked a question though. Joke's on you fool.

stop namefagging, Anonymous

I LOVE SLACKWARE!!!

Attached: 2018-07-16-111801_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 2.69M)

Something nice: Slackware is very stable.

Something not so nice: Slackware is a joke when it comes to installing additional software.

Basically, the opposite of Arch.

>Slackware is a joke when it comes to installing additional software.
eh, not so. it's simple and painless.

Assuming you have a .slackbuilds/ directory

cd .slackbuilds
wget "your_software"
tar xfvz "your_software"
cd "your_software"
wget "your_software_source"
./slackbuild.yoursoftware
installpkg /tmp/"yoursoftware"

Been running it for six months now. Came from Debian. It's stable, logical and doesn't assume anything for you. It also gives you must more control than a lot of other distros. And no systemd. Thanks, Pat [and Eric].

Attached: Screenshot_2018-07-08_19-14-53.png (1366x768, 471K)

WHERE THE FUCK IS 15.0 PAT?
WHERE'S THE FUCKING UPDATE PAT?
IT'S BEEN TWO YEARS PAT.
EVERYTHING IN -current IS SEVERAL MAJOR VERSIONS AHEAD OF 14.2, NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT .a FILES ARE NO LONGER SUPPORTED ON -current BUT ARE MANDATORY ON 14.2.

Attached: 1519329879259.jpg (500x565, 16K)

Slackware is a distro stuck in the 90s
i can see why some people like it but for me ubuntus automatic dependecy managment and large resporisty make it supieor for my nightly use

Attached: 1531168581700.jpg (940x627, 98K)

Do you run forkbombs? What the fuck is that memory usage... Fuck GTK3.

Attached: 1480616286562.jpg (600x936, 657K)

>resporisty
>supieor
Grow fingers, stupid doggo! Use slapt-get if you are lazy fuck.

Attached: 1463740754681.jpg (720x540, 244K)

sudo /sbin/upgradepkg --install-new *.t?z
???

Bounced around from Slackware to various BSDs. Finally settled on FreeBSD and CentOS for various servers, but Slackware was my first. 20-odd floppies to install it, niggers.

Slackware's great if you're into going elbow deep in your computer's asshole. It helps you learn the Unix way.

Patrick you're the best!

>dat pic
>dat writing
kek

He's running firefox with an open tab

Attached: onfirefox.jpg (649x2449, 813K)

Doesn't slackbuilds already have a flatpack install package?

I like it but the package management thing scares and confuses me. Do I need to update regularly still?

Most reliable distro. Only time I experienced something wrong was when the underlying hardware was failing.

CLI dos bullshit should have died decades ago.

slackpkg update
slackpkg install-new
slackpkg upgrade-all
...some serious and complicated shit

And btw - long live Slackware

ORLY? :)

>dos
b8/8

Well, what about custom packages from SBo or whatever?

Best distro ever. Plebian fags, arch fags, gentoo fags, and the other distrolumpen hail the real and only king since Linux (fuck you Richard) conception.

# sbopkg -r
# sbopkg -c
# sbopkg -i "pkg1 pkg2.. pkgn"

Or just use the interface by launching sbopkg. Seriously blaming package management is the most stupid excuse to avoid Slackware.

Hi grandpa

and to avoid dependency problems run
sqg -a or sqg -p packagename
prior to sbopkg -i
or you can always learn how to compile stuff in general :D

I used Slackware for a time a while back, and I needed to install a program that there wasn't a slackbuild for. So what did I do? I looked up the dependencies I needed to install. And then I looked up the dependencies I need to install those dependencies. And there was this seemingly unending branching of dependencies I needed - I did this for like an hour or two. Then I decided Slackware was shit and reinstalled Ubuntu.

Stop using obscure software

You haven't used it much, huh?

My current OS. Very good, no cancer.

What software? You're telling me you can't make software compile correctly?

Puppy Linux is the only reason I can use my old laptop. Best distro, and I think the image was 64MB

install slackware, because solve dependencies and dependencies of dependencies and dependencies of dependencies of dependencies is fun!

"Ubuntu" - an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me"

Dependency checking is for fags

Why'd they change their name from SLS to Slackware in 1992?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Softlanding_Linux_System

LOL
> Yggdrasil Linux/GNU/X

No longer is it GNU/Linux, but we're going to add X to it now on Jow Forums
gear up, autists

Yggdrasil was the first company to create a live CD Linux distribution.[1] Yggdrasil Linux described itself as a "Plug-and-Play" Linux distribution, automatically configuring itself for the hardware.
>Ghostscript

wow what great times and legends.

slackware and Yggdrasil thank you for creating what we have now.

>Adam J. Richter started the Yggdrasil company together with Bill Selmeier. Richter spoke to Michael Tiemann about setting up a business, but was not interested in joining forces with Cygnus.[1]

>Richter was a member of League for Programming Freedom.[6] Richter was using only a 200 MB hard disk when building the alpha release of LGX, which prevented him from practically being able to include the source code of some of the packages contained in the CDROM.[6]

>Yggdrasil Incorporated published some of the early Linux compilation books, such as The Linux Bible: The GNU Testament (ISBN 978-1883601201), and contributed significantly to file system and X Window System functionality of Linux in the early days of their operation.

Lol, man sucks to fuck up so bad and not be a partner at redhat..

Best distro ever made.

It's called Gnome/Wayland/Gnu/Systemd/Linux noob

Does it use systemd?

Jesus fucking Christ.

Attached: 1529995625572.gif (517x469, 147K)

kek

When exactly is the anniversary? Wasn't it like 16th July?

helllllll no,

it's the anti-systemd distro

heh I'm currently downloading slackware for the first time after reading some good things about it being closest to pure linux, then I read this thread while still downloading to see if many people really still use it, coincidences like these I really like.

I don't beleive in coincidences.

I thought you were a dead project already so good on you for holding on grandpa!

It doesn't, however it does use pulseaudio by default. If you want to switch to ALSA in -current, there's instructions and packages in the extra/pure-alsa-system directory on the installation media

>muh sysvinit