Any legitimate criticisms of the language other than the community?

Any legitimate criticisms of the language other than the community?

Attached: rust-logo.png (512x512, 84K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/xiph/rav1e
github.com/paritytech/parity/issues/6995
crates.io/crates/sdl2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I dislike the logo, the language is garbage because of this reason.

no libraries

The R community is great I don't know what you're talking about

Unless you're somehow the top Rust expert in the world, being able to deal with a language's community is rather important. Hope you like wearing bras.

>being able to deal with a language's community is rather important
how?

They should be able to have static types without restricting what types you can use together.

The borrow checker.

Explain.

who actually uses this for anything

they keep heaping on more syntax

hello world is 126k vs 8k in C

Good one

intended to be a language that fixes the issues of C++ but is destined to become just as complex and idiosyncratic as C++

Why do retarded ctards fail to understand static linking?

>other than the community
That's the 1000lb gorilla tho. You say one bad word and these commie antifa pieces of shit will prevent you from using the language.

Only a massive cuc.k would waste time on a language that he can be banned from for wrongthink.

You don't need 126k to print hello world.

That doesn't answer my question, idiot.

I wasn't trying to answer your question, idiot.

I don't care about what an illiterate ctard has to say about hello world size. Go back and learn basic CS before answering to me any further.

if you're a tard maybe
>cargo build --features system-alloc --release && strip target/release/testing
>Compiling testing v0.1.0
>stat target/release/testing
>Size: 6048
>./target/release/testing
>Hello, world!

It is really easy to interact with the community. I doubt you've even tried because you're pathetic and fell for the SJW boogeyman.

Who said I even liked C? I was justing saying it should take that much size to print a simple hello world, is takes only 1k to do it in assembly. No, you are just an illiterate, insecure piece of shit who doesn't even understand basic reading comprehension.

see you braindead sack of shit

Notice every thread demands new criticism and the old threads are ignored.

The message they're trying to tell us is that there are no legitimate criticisms of their autistic homosexual redundant language.

Attached: 1509955040772.jpg (709x821, 145K)

Indeed. Why is C so shit?

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-07-18 16-15-19.png (1110x564, 72K)

There are legitimate criticisms, but very few people on Jow Forums are capable of even making them in the first place.

>there are no legitimate criticisms of their autistic homosexual redundant language.
Is there any, in reality?

Attached: 1531795716178.jpg (1679x586, 164K)

I can think of these:
- Lack of inheritance: Ok you have traits and default trait impls, which however won't let you access struct fields
- Macro Syntax unnecessarily ugly
- Lack of CTFE
- Lack of type classes and HKTs
- Lack of GC'ed pointers

Oh kek, ctard got CAVED the fuck in.

By the Rust team's own statements, you cannot discount the community because programming projects are social.

Thus the community is a very valid reason to dislike it.

It's missing some mind boggling simple features that should've been put in for a while now like variadic functions and memory allocation control APIs means that it's still not as fine tuned on a lower level than it should be which means it's not that great for me to replace C/C++ there.

On a higher level scale, it is somewhat cleaner than C++ but the syntax is still too verbose for some things and I've heard that there are some missing stuff some functional language enthusiasts are missing but I'm not familiar enough to know what they are specifically.

No it isn't. I'm sorry you're such a snowflake but there are no problems with the community.

win

Attached: Unknown.jpg (225x225, 4K)

Protip: Avoid any cancer from these patent trolls:
1. Microsoft
2. Apple
3. Oracle
and you are good to go.

>Firefox
>rav1e

>no libraries
What is crates.io?

Mozilla for Firefox
VMWare for haret
Dropbox for brotil compressor
Google for fuschsia Mojo IPC

Attached: 1529548108189.png (544x638, 619K)

freetard

I warn you about legitimate concerns over patent trolling and you call me a freetard. How deep has corporate cock penetrated inside your anus, stupid cuck?

Hey idiot, when was when Apple sued anyone for patent causes and they weren't right?

Oh wait, you are one of those retards that thinks that Samsung is a small company and not a massive multinational company with ties to the SK government that even makes tanks?

>Hey idiot, when was when Apple sued anyone for patent causes and they weren't right?
Suing Samsung
>Oh wait, you are one of those retards that thinks that Samsung is a small company and not a massive multinational company with ties to the SK government that even makes tanks?
Size of Samsung does not matter at all, not remotely relevant to the question at hand. You are a stupid apple fanboy.

I'm not defending Samsung in any way either. I want patent trolling out of academics and CS all together. You cannot own an idea. Doesn't make any sense.

it's not lisp

It's completely unnecessary, unneeded and unwanted

What other things do you feel the Rust team is wrong about?

>>Hey idiot, when was when Apple sued anyone for patent causes and they weren't right?
>Suing Samsung
Yes, they sued, and they won.

>>Oh wait, you are one of those retards that thinks that Samsung is a small company and not a massive multinational company with ties to the SK government that even makes tanks?
>Size of Samsung does not matter at all, not remotely relevant to the question at hand. You are a stupid apple fanboy.
Yes, it does, Samsung has enough money to defend themselves, and they did.
Samsung are a piece of shit and they have found out evidence they were really copying the iPhone. It was about patents, it was about the design and marketing. They had a book about how to copy the iPhone step by step, down to the colors of the icons, and the shading of interface, the keyboard, etc.

>C++ with package management, good type system, pattern matching and lazy ranges
Count me in. I don't appreciate the overly restrictive safety precautions though. I guess it helps minimize the runtime crashes in mission critical applications.

Rust code looks ugly and that is all that really matters.

I'm not interested in arguing on Apple vs Samsung. Both Apple and Samsung are anti-consumer and anti-competitive as they can get.
What I'm saying is that patents do not make any sense, especially in a world of free market.

>You cannot own an idea.
dumbest thing i've ever heard

>Issac Newton
>Invents Calculus
>Patents Calculus
>Newton now owns the laws of Calculus
>If your company uses Calculus to gain profit you better pay up Newton

>Newton owns Calculus because he patented it before Leibniz
The power of "owning an idea"

to implement a heap efficiently i need to disable the safety features.

>Of course rounded corners are Intellectual Property

Why would you use anything other than Ada for mission critical applications? It was designed by and for people who actually write mission critical applications. Rust is designed for cucks by trust fund SJWs. It has no reason to exist

I'm waiting for this encoder to be faster than x265 at the similar quality.

github.com/xiph/rav1e

in practice this means the compiler can't make guarantees about the safety of your implementation so the onus is on you, it becomes no different to using c/c++

>An older alternative exist
>Ad hominem
Not that I expect more from Jow Forums.

Patenting is mostly dumb. It's basically used as a weapon to extort money.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-07-18 17-03-07.png (1344x1424, 358K)

>No thanks, no industry-proven technology for me! I only use the newest, most unstable hipster projects I can find on GitHubâ„¢

FORTRAN was "industry proven" too. Why did people start using C back then?

Also, Ada is not suitable for general purpose while Rust is. If you can't keep up with a coherent and civil discussion without throwing childish adhoms, don't bother giving me the last (you).

That was stupid.

I'm writing my current project in Rust because it's good to have on your resume. They see Rust and they think, "Oh man, this guy's a hardcore coder and probably smart too"

Nuff said

Attached: rustlets_on_suicide_watch.png (558x297, 140K)

But FORTRAN is widely used today.

Another day, another FUD against Rusy. (I wonder who funds this). This is the issue created by the user:
github.com/paritytech/parity/issues/6995
The bug was in their wallet library which WAS NOT WRITTEN IN RUST. Their client was written in Rust.
There is a deeper conspiracy going on, dimwit Jow Forums users are being used to undermine free and open communities like Mozilla, EFF and FSF.

>REEEEE IT'S FOR SAFETY
But Ada...
>REEEEE IT'S FOR GENERAL PURPOSE

They don't have to be mutually exclusive

>Is there any, in reality?
I like how your reply demonstrates my point.

>That wasn't real Rust
I wonder where I've seen this kind of argument pattern before?

Attached: this-isnt-real-rust.png (620x463, 273K)

Attached: 1513446391123.jpg (1110x837, 164K)

>Ada is not suitable for general purpose
How the heck you came up with? Ada is suitable for everything that C, C++ and Rust are.

Oh so you are blaming a bug in API written in JavaScript on Rust? What kind of mental gymnastics do you actually have to go through to convince yourself to spread FUD like this? Shame on you, liar.

In Rust you would only need to disable the safety features in a few specific places, and it would be easy to keep track of what you've done. In C your whole program is unsafe.

>bug in JS API
>"It's Rust's fault"
JUST

Attached: 1518199099507.jpg (480x472, 46K)

>comparing shit with shit

The borrow checker is a selling feature, but desu it's bullshit. The idea is that lifetime scope is part of the type. Thinking about lifetimes manually is not that hard. They should be selling the Send and Sync traits more than that. But ok, let's say it's more convenient to have it checked by the compiler over the programmer. The cost is in complexity of the compiler and the build time.
Check the progress in Jai, the compile times are crazily small and it's obviously a good priority to have. The time spend on borrow checker is not only big, but happens on debug builds as well.
Still no list of audited crates. Since the core language has pretty strict rules for changing specs, various components were decided to be in separate crate to have more freedom of faster changes. But crates.io will not help you to distinguish a commonly used near-official package from some Joe's experiment. Download count only applies on top-level packages and not its dependencies.
The tools around it are big and complex, I don't see any attempt to decrease it's complexity in long-term, only adding features. Cargo and rustup have very bad portability and age giant.
Bad editor and code analysis support, compare it to what Go's Guru offers.
dunno what's the current state of e.g. tokio, tls libraries and so on, it was really poor an year ago
overall it's interesting language to learn

Completely agree with poor discoverability on crates.io. It's basically useless as an entry point for searching for a library.

I think the critical failure was made here when they decided to use a single global namespace for crate names. I think a better strategy would be to have user-or-organization scoped crates AND have a non-namespaced top-level. These non-namespaced crates would serve a similar function to rust-lang-nursery (notably, a GitHub org, not a thing on crates.io) as well as a general "expanded standard library". It's intuitive and obvious to the programmer that non-namespaced means official. These crates could all then have simple names (http, regex, etc.) rather than competing in a huge tragedy of the commons.

>The time spend on borrow checker is not only big, but happens on debug builds as well.
The time taken by the borrow checker is a drop in the ocean compared to the time LLVM spends on code generation. Switching backends, or at least generating better monomorphized LLVM IR, is on the table. Maybe let them know it should be a higher priority.
>Thinking about lifetimes manually is not that hard.
And a gun doesn't need a safety because only pulling the trigger when you intend to shoot is not that hard.

is there a way for the compiler to report time spent on various phases?

rustc +nightly hello.rs -Z time-passes

>- Lack of inheritance: Ok you have traits and default trait impls, which however won't let you access struct fields
How is this a bad thing?

>- Macro Syntax unnecessarily ugly
I guess, they were always a temporary abortion.

>- Lack of CTFE
I guess, it's coming pretty soon tho.

>- Lack of type classes and HKTs
The differences betweek Haskell type classes and Rust traits are pretty much insignificant.

Agree on lack of HKTs.

>- Lack of GC'ed pointers
How is that a bad thing?

horrendous syntax. It's like a retard mutant between c++, perl and php.

This is why whole program optimization is the way to go and dynamic linking should die quietly. If you need dynamic linkage your program is bloat or you should use IPC.

>How is this a bad thing?
Inheritance is the foundation of polymorphism you fucking leaf

..vs less than half a kilobyte in asm. hello world tells you how large the standard library is, it is not a measure of average binary size

first-class functions or function pointers are the foundation of polymorphism

That's just one kind of polymorphism you dingus.

80K with musl, but yeah good point

actually stripping it gives 10K

>no libraries
C provides zero libraries.
It's the community's job to provide libraries,
unless you are making a language for idiots, like python, java, go, e.t.c.

you're very clever for using a dull knife

Not at all user. Why would you need people that do the same thing as you ? To share expiriences ? To solve problems together ?

Nah who needs that when youre a stuck up virgin NEET

I was thinking of using Rust for a project with SDL2, but the bindings haven't been updated since fucking 2016. Another interesting metric is that there are more game engines written in Rust than actual games.

I'll stick with C.

Attached: 03u1wmwoak811.png (1079x1577, 1.44M)

>the bindings haven't been updated since fucking 2016
>crates.io/crates/sdl2
>last updated 8 months ago
What were you looking at?

>crates.io/crates/sdl2
Thanks, their GitHub is just very outdated I guess. Even this isn't great though considering SDL itself was updated in March and the Rust bindings were updated in November of last year.

cargo my nigga
As an embedded C developer, I pray every day that one of the follwing happens:
>rust, and its automated package management (intellij rust plugin is great) make its way intothe embedded world and replaces C
>C gets a cargo-like package management tool

> extreme compilation times
> extremely novel grammar

I might had been fine with one, but with both I hate it.

They updated to SDL 2.0.8 last month but they haven't released those patches as a new version for some reason. You can specify a git commit in your project manifest if that helps.

Hey, that is pretty cool. Thanks for the tip. I will try it out.

DOUBLY LINKED LIST
O
U
B
L
Y

L
I
N
K
E
D