Are you excited for AV1 codec?

Attached: 1524603663004.png (487x366, 49K)

Im so wet

Why do huge companies which ship mostly proprietary software working together to develop open media standards?

Microsoft is the only company listed that ships software.

How can I implement this into my Jow Forums webm's?

Attached: Excited.jpg (625x770, 128K)

*proprietary software and services

>streaming

How can a service be proprietary?

because they fully understand the alternative is getting fucked by 1 single company they've never met charging them all out the ass for something they could have created internally (but now cant because users expect otherwise)

It could be that their proprietary software is a fork of the standard. If they just want to have a good base to work from and they're generally not in competition with one another, they can pool their resources and force other companies to follow their standards or be ostracized for using something different. This would be especially relevant if the companies control a large enough portion of the market, like Netflix and YouTube do for streaming video.

You can also see it as part of a strategy to force another company to give up parts of their proprietary software. If companies know that they're working on competing standards with a similar goal, if one company gets spooked and believes they're far enough behind, or if one company just doesn't want to continue putting money into developing their software, they can announce that they're releasing a meaningful chunk of what they're doing as open source. This forces the other companies to either compete with their open source standard, or help form a "steering committee" or whatever, so they can have a meaningful say in how the standard is created.

I don't know the correct terminology but what I meant is, for example, the Google search algorithm and website are closed source.

"Closed source" and "open source" only applies to distributed software. Why do you give a shit what is running on their computers? Are you "closed source" because you don't publish the contents of your hard drive for the world to see?

hiro needs to turn on vp9 first

I don't, I was asking what was their interest in creating an open standard

So DVD and VHS format wars won't happen again.
>Google makes own codec for YouTube does include it in android, Netflix is out of game. The same about Microsoft and windows.

not really
my PC is really slow at decoding VP9 and H.265
can't even handle 4K H.264

Because the fees for HVEC were too high

That would be cool as fuck and might lead to new tech that pushes everyone else to try harder instead of a meme codec that takes 24 hours to encode a single second of video

This. If they don't create a standard, they risk having the market captured by someone who likes royalties.

>meme codec that takes 24 hours to encode a single second of video
>takes 24 hours to encode a single second of video
Learn some codec history, newfag.

they're collectively sick of paying the MPEG

im pretty sure that av1 will have its own third party api's tailored to each vendor that they can lock it down

there is no free when the giants of capitalism work together

Because they all have a shared interest in it which is not paying royalties to fucking MPEG.

I will be once there are good encoders for it.

Yeah that's not what royalty free means. They have a mutual goal here: to minimize bandwidth usage while providing high quality video. They all need this standard to be widely adopted for it to be successful, so that's why they have to come together... To make it actually work.

they make money by spending less on patents, storage, and bandwidth while also enticing users with similar or higher quality

Yes, whenever it gets a good encoder. I'd love it to shave of TBs off my animu storage, hopefully some will make new encodes and not re encode existing releases.

more like they spend LESS money on royalties

but that isnt enough

inb4 jewish isps lower data caps because "lol we're moving to a more efficient future you don't need 1TB standard a month!"

Why the random antisemitism?

Because they need nvidia, qualcomm, intel, amd and even more to get on board and add hardware acceleration.

>increase compression
they're just going to reduce bitrate from like 10Mbps to 3Mbps to save on bandwidth

Fuck off gnutard, SAAS is an affront to everything free software stands for. The boundry between your computer and "the cloud" is almost meaningless in 2018 and if Stallman wasn't running such an autistic setup he'd agree.

If execution of code is triggered by a user, and the results of that code is returned to the user, it should be free software. The computer it's running on is purely a matter of semantics at that point.

>antisemitism
jews aren't Semitic you retard.

Yay for even more bitstarved and compressed to shit videos as streaming providers try to cut down on hosting and bandwidth costs.

a lotta fucken jews on this board these days