Gentoo?

Unironically considering using Gentoo but I heard portage is shit, and also it's written in Python and that's all gone tits up. Give me your hot takes.

Attached: gentoo-3d.png (1873x1917, 1.06M)

Other urls found in this thread:

archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-project/message/c52da1d4292cb96912c0f44a54927f86
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Portage is the only good thing ever written in python

i want to stick my dick in the logo

Portage is the only real reason to consider using Gentoo. It's great. Also

Python is the perfect language for something like a package manager

Gentoo makes GNU/Linux harder than it needs to be,

if you want something you can easily start building source code on get slackware otherwise get debian and if you dont want systemd get antiX which is 99% debian without systemd and has a custom built kernel and a few packages rebuilt without systemd for compatibility

Gentoo is literally the same as anything else apart from the install and package compilation.

If that is a concern ask yourself how many times do you install an os and new packages?

If the answer to that is "a lot", then don't use Gentoo.

Fpbp

Gentoo is the epitome of Linux optimisation. The custom flags and assisted kernel composition alone makes it worth the effort. The handbook is so easy to use that an 8 year old could install it in a few hours. After finalising the installation, you'll have a solid base with working drivers you can build your environment on. And it's as lightweight or bloated as you want it to be.

Install Gentoo.

You'll end up switching to Devuan because compiling will wreck your soul.

Bull shit.

The kernel modification is cool but the optimizations are a meme, the compile times negate the supposed speed increase.
The handbook is a pile of shit if you want to encrypt everything; I had to cross reference two separate tutorials to make it work.
For anyone still interested, watch out for the outdated mirrors, I downloaded Stage3 from a server based in the UK, it was a year out of date and I had circular dependency errors up the ass.

install FreeBSD instead

Once you get the base system of your selected profile installed it's really great - that initial install takes a long ass time, yeah. But shit is insanely stable after that, been running Gentoo for years and I just don't ever have major problems.

I recommend it, OP

If I select to emerge a desktop system together with a DE during the install, will it configure xserver to start it automatically? Or do I still have to do that myself?

Attached: 1390315177.gif (500x354, 461K)

Yeah, X works without configuration as long as you're using KMS with your GPUs drivers

>using linux for negroids
kek

but user if you are using gentoo for the portage why you are not using funtoo

Portage is fantastic.

archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-project/message/c52da1d4292cb96912c0f44a54927f86
>Trying to become a Gentoo Developer again spanning 8 years
>My returning developer attempts took more time in review and other than when I first became a dev and knew less.
>That has never made any sense to me.
>It should take MUCH less to process a returning dev than a new developer.
>Returning developers should be welcomed, as anyone seeking to contribute.
>Sadly Gentoo has developed a culture over the years of policing and driving away talent and people for the sake of the project.
>Which I strongly feel has been the biggest problem for Gentoo.
>Actions taken to protect Gentoo, development, developers, and the community, has cause great harm to Gentoo.
>Gentoo has more policies on behavior, punishment, etc than most any other project and/or distribution.
>I simply cannot find anything close to what Gentoo has in place.
>I believe it is why Gentoo has always had problems with total number of developers and active developers beyond normal attrition.
>When it comes to Volunteer effort, I do not feel anyone should be driven away for any reason.
>I believe everyone has something to contribute on any level.
>I do not believe policing or enforcing behavior or other social policies really have that much benefit.
>In fact most of the greatest things come out of a chaos not harmony.

>Sadly Gentoo has developed a culture over the years of policing and driving away talent and people for the sake of the project.
Good
Let those faggits use Arch

best os
compiling new kernel rn

Attached: 2018-07-18-182855_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 736K)

>Gentoo has fallen so hard, it has become a very obscure distro rather than a mainstream distro.
>Gentoo should play a crucial role in FOSS development as it once did.
>Rather than thing in Gentoo now being behind Debian.
>Everything comrel seeks to prevent with regard to behavior can continue to occur if someone was not a developer.
>We are not talking about broken code, or technical issues, just social.
>Gentoo is NOT a social project but a technical one.
>Social issues should not prevent or have anything to do with technical matters.
>One should be judged solely on their contributions, and the rest really does not matter.
>What Comrel/devrel did was basically screw Java on Gentoo.
>Drove away talent that was not replaced and Java has just suffered on Gentoo since

So is this guy talking about the sjws have taken over and destroyed Gentoo?
Reason why I'm quoting this post is I have been using Gentoo for a long time and really like it so I started doing some searches on becoming a developer and found this in the mailing list archives and started to be concerned that maybe the sjws got to Gentoo as well. so they got to swjBSD (formerly freeBSD) and now sjwgentoo?

>the compile times negate the supposed speed increase.
If that's a concern for you, just have the computer compile while you aren't using it. Even if you're literally Stephen Hawking and need the computer at all times just so you can interact with the world, you probably still sleep sometimes.

Attached: 1526437113916.png (1024x768, 52K)

Leaving this here
°pops into the background to watch the show °

Attached: gentoo creator uses os x.png (517x812, 257K)

Which kernel? Linux?

Tell me which programs you use to get it working.
I tried stealing your configs but I ended up with invisible windows.

As far as I can tell, this dude is a former developer who got banned back in 2008 and this is his 5th attempt at being let back in. So whatever the rules he got banned for breaking may be, they already existed a decade ago.

yeah

to get what working?
what you see is in the scrot are bspwm, urxvt+tabbed, polybar and firefox
compton for the transparent borders

>grudgingly

>>So is this guy talking about the sjws have taken over and destroyed Gentoo?
No, he's talking about how gentoo development is an elite club that doesn't let in people who don't know shit about linux and development (like SJWs).

>tabbed
Maybe that's it. What would happen if you didn't have it?
As a side note, are you also running firefox as a different user?

>What would happen if you didn't have it?
I would this command to spawn my terminal
urxvt
instead of this one
tabbed -c urxvt -embed
>are you also running firefox as a different user?
yeah

Oh the only type of people I'v seen enforcing "code of conduct" was the sjw type of people, I havent yet seen it used outside of that context.

why would I use funtoo?

Yet he still uses it over his own os laughing my butt off

>I tried stealing your configs but I ended up with invisible windows.
how about you make some effort, rtfm and use those configs as a reference for your own configs instead of just copy pasting them and things like that won't happen

Shush you.

> but I heard portage is shit
Wrong. Portage is no doubt one of the best package managers.

It does an immense amount of things well, which -if you've been with various languages' build tools for a decade or two- you should understand aren't all that easy to get right even for one language.

Regardless this doesn't mean it's the package manager for everyone. And you can't stop Joe from bitching that it's not as simple as the Android store. It's not meant for that Joe, very simple.

true

installing funtoo was easy
is gentoo much harder? tell me the hype isn't all hype.

>is gentoo much harder?
No, the only difference is that you have to compile a kernel

>into loonix
>distro hop for years
>Install Gentoo
>never looked back

Attached: 1514750624105.png (1280x720, 872K)