DISTRO THREAD

Which distro are you using and why?

What distro would you recommend to someone who only used ubuntu but wants to learn more linux? Would picrelated be a good idea for a dailydriver to someone coming from noobuntu?

Attached: Alpine_Linux_logo_web.jpg (620x350, 54K)

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.manjaro.org/t/lxqt-community-edition-18-0beta/51802
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm actually using Lubuntu, many have recommended to move to Antergos. Im genuinely curious to see if the arch memes are true.

Attached: 1531097858928.png (650x4377, 871K)

slackware
the build script is just standalone shell script

pic is for uses like routers,firewalls and virtualization images as far as i know
so stick with ubuntu would be a good choice

>2018
>still no dependency resolution

MX Linux is awesome. Debian based without systemd. It's a rock solid distro. I don't recommend alpine, even though it is awesome, to migrate from Ubuntu.

Mint because i don't want to constantly think about my operating system.

>I don't recommend alpine, even though it is awesome, to migrate from Ubuntu.
Why though? What's not so friendly about it?

I'm using Alpine on my laptop as my workhorse, it's awesome.

Arch is fine for the most part unless you rely too much on the aur.
It's worth it if your hardware is not a decade old

Windows 10

Manjaro LXQT 18 Beta Minimal

This is the best OS ever used, bar none. I used to be ubuntu mate guy, tried arch, some other openrc linux. This version comes with nothing installed except web browser and pdf reader, under 4 gigs, uses 250mb on start, and about 1 gig running chromium.

forum.manjaro.org/t/lxqt-community-edition-18-0beta/51802

For learning I would unironically recommend Arch. I would not recommend it as a daily driver or good forbid a server, but it's great for learning.

Why not gentoo instead?

Void.
Just works, has recent software and the best PM there is.

Devuan - stability, hardware compatability, and no systemd

Ubuntu. Still running with the training wheels, but I'm considering Fedora since RedHat is effectively Linux and it's decisions, however insane, will trickle down anyway

>Which distro are you using and why?
Gentoo, because compiling from source is relevant to my interests and Portage and its Use Flags are just great.
>What distro would you recommend to someone who only used ubuntu but wants to learn more linux?
Definitely Gentoo, but Arch wouldn't be a bad choice either.

Attached: 1526080137916.png (857x1871, 1.54M)

Agreed, MX Linux is an awesome distro for intermediate users. It is Debian based, has sane defaults and great tools to make your life easier. Recommended!

Unironically? Tried it once, but unfortunately had installed the musl version that lacks basically everything, and it appears that it lacks basic themes, fonts, icons and other goodies from the main repos. Also, how good is KDE on void, considering it doesn't use systemd? I liked the distro overall and specially the installer

Ubuntu 18 with cinnamon

>Arch is fine for the most part unless you rely too much on the aur.
Arch is literally only worth using because of the AUR.

Anyone using it can tell me how is opensuse? I heard really cool stuff about it, but reading about updates for both leap and tumbleweed makes it look really painful and dangerous. Also no official support for stuff like spotify or discord

>I would not recommend it as a daily driver or good forbid a server,
That's because you are a brainlet

I haven't used it for it, but Alpine works as a desktop, too. I remember an user describing his experience with it a month or two ago. The summary was that it was all right.

You are a fucking moron, there's nothing you can learn on any distro that you can't learn on ubuntu.

Linux is a kernel.

If you like KDE try Neon or OpenSUSE
If you like Xfce try MX Linux or Manjaro
If you like Gnome try Fedora or Antergos

Absolutely.
What was lacking? Almost everything in repos has the MUSL version. Only open source exception I can think of is Wine, because devs are retarded and want to keep 64 bit and 32 bit libraries strictly separate (so there is no official Wine 64 bit) and there is no 32-bit repo for it.

>Themes, icons
Personal opinion is that's not a bad thing, as long as there is actual software in there, unlike with Arch. And you can just copy existing template and modify it for your icons, then push it into the main repo.
This and I'm used to installing it for the current user only.

>KDE
I heard that it's ok, but can't attest to that. I'm running BSPWM.

If you really want to know, drop by their forums. They are pretty friendly.

>If you like KDE try Kubuntu
>If you like Xfce try Xubuntu
>If you like Gnome try Ubuntu

FIFY

I see, thanks for the response. And yeah, about musl is mostly about software like chrome and steam, because I care the most about usability and personal preference than freedom. I generally dislike installing fonts and icons directly because I lose track of what's installed and forget to update, but that's my fault I guess. And KDE is mostly for eye-candy and easy to setup and use. If I wasn't such a lazy fuck I'd learn to use something else

>If you like * try literally any mainstream distro, whatever you like the most, is basically the same thing