Why is tor imperfect for security/anonymity?

Why is tor imperfect for security/anonymity?

Attached: tor-project-logo.png (970x655, 115K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/QZQzCGgQts8
youtu.be/QqR68rLP3jE
youtu.be/_QLd_yDVmto
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Because you're too retarded to use it correctly.

It isn't.
The largest drug market was up for more than two years, and only got taken down because the owner was a retard and practically doxxed himself.

If that's not enough for you then i don't know what is.

I wanted to know specifics about IP leaks and potential security flaws for my project, I'm not worried about the getting vanned by the DEA for buying a Q of coke.

Because majority of traffic is utilized for malicious purpose.
Tor would be inherently more secure if people used it on a day-to-day basis.

If the three letter agencies are looking for a needle in a haystack - add more hay

Just run it in two VMs. I suggest using Whonix (atleast for gateway)

Because nothing is. But it's the best we've got for now.

well a global passive adversary (that is, the NSA) can do a traffic correlation attack. Monitor what goes in and monitor what comes out and you can match them together. There's no way to defend against this without giving up the real-time low-latency nature of the network and moving to a high-latency store-and-forward thing that you can't just casually browse the web with, so Tor basically made an explicit decision to not defend against this. Hidden services are to an extent less vulnerable to this.

Most deanonymization attacks are from browser exploits though. Most of which depend on javascript, which is why they always tell you that you want to disable it if you want stronger security guarantees. That doesn't solve everything, there have been exploits where, eg, a malformed image can lead to code execution in the browser, but shutting down JS kills big broad swathes of browser vulnerabilities. If you're planning on running a service on Tor, make it work without JS.

And mind your fucking opsec.

>And mind your fucking opsec.
This. They can't bust you if they have nothing for parallel construction.

I can't post on Jow Forums while on Tor.
SadFace.jpg

Buy pass :^)

>have a node in the US, China, and Russia
>the only way to do a traffic correlation attack is if these three powers work together, sharing their deepest tech backdoor secrets in the process

Yeah nice try Mr Idiot

You can post on Lainchan and Arisuchan though.

Attached: my waifu.gif (500x355, 156K)

because your IP is not the only identifier

There aren't any. All attacks on Tor are either too large to be feasible, or rely on users being stupid.

At the risk of getting vand, I think the FBI/CIA/NSA used their resources to find roberts, not the stupid tax story. I suspect he was being monitored with TEMPEST equipment for awhile.

Why would they do it in an above-board, collaborative fashion like that? They just compromise ISPs in the other countries. They've probably already been doing that anyway.

If you want to use low latency protocols which means basically everything, it's the best there is.

>Because majority of traffic is utilized for malicious purpose.
Why do you believe that? Hint: Public activity is welcome so it can obfuscate the activity for which the network was designed.

because humans are imperfect

That and traffic correlation attacks.

which one of those is worth going on

I don't wanna get familiar with two chans at once both doing the same thing

EIther. Lain looks like Jow Forums but spooky, Arisu even more so. The discussion on both are pretty good about staying on thread topics, but don't expect everyone to be experts.

Lainchan has more traffic, and Arisuchan is a fork of Lainchan. Just to give you more anxiety, there's also Wirechan but it's really slow :^)

Attached: lain I swear she's just a friend.jpg (678x845, 271K)

The first rule of battle. youtu.be/QZQzCGgQts8

Of course, there are other schools of thought. youtu.be/QqR68rLP3jE

>Implying they don't
>Implying all the dick waving isn't there to make sure you don't realize that they're all on the same side
Open your eyes user.

Attached: 1530436800944.gif (319x310, 448K)

And systemspace.
It has the best aesthetic to it. But it's also a death cult and extremely slow.

there is no such thing as perfect
It's a good browser and anyone who knows can add configuration and protections
But there will always be a starting point
when your computer connects to the modem, it creates an IP
and even if you run everything on virtual machine install the rpm does set up to proxy chain
and mac changer
surfing the Internet only through the terminal with bots that can hide you or whatever.
the starting point will always be there under all layers
from here it's only a matter of how much time and energy they are willing to invest in order to find it

Eye see you. ;)

Attached: Eye-Of-Ra-Symbol.jpg (1111x890, 64K)

>A paper trail that literally makes you even less anonymous then browsing w/out tor
Nice try cianigger

Yeah, Jow Forums is *so* not anonymous. Seriously.

Conduct some experiments and look for statistically significant correlations between what you post here and the unsolicited advertisements that get shoved in your face.

The one with the most traffic is actually /cyber/ over at 8.

My man if they catch you Tor they're going to rat you out to the journos. When Reality Winner was busted, the prosecutors told journos she had "software to buy drugs and illicit substances" to turn public opinion against her

I'm in disguise! youtu.be/_QLd_yDVmto

You got me to watch that movie now.
It's one of those movies where they were hinting at things more interesting than the film itself, shame.
Still a good one though. What are some others like it?

That's what im saying. Any data leak limiting action. You take is nullified immediately when Jow Forums now has a bank record tied to your IP

Protip: Dont use your internet, use someone elses such as a library.

Doing a lot of custom stuff will increase the entropy of your fingerprint. Tails is the best solution if you want security beyond the protection Tor can offer.