What are your thoughts on PulseAudio?

What are your thoughts on PulseAudio?

Attached: logo.png (345x70, 11K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pipewire.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Jow Forums told me it's a bloated piece of shit.
I would appreciate some more nuanced insights, too. Are there alternatives? So far pulseaudio worked OK for me, but lately I had some troubles with audio.....

I don't understand what it's for

It's overly fragile.

increasing cpu load

> Developer: Lennart Poettering

It is systemd level shit

>sndio
>20k loc
>only depends ok kernel API and libc

>pulseaudio
>223k loc
>29 top-level build dependencies, some of them even bigger

why is freedesktop doing that?

This. Why the hell does it exist? Poettering's explanations, at least the ones listed in the wikipedia page last time I read it, said that we needed it to move away from OSS, which he called a "simplistic 90's audio stack" or something to that effect. The thing is though, at the time that statement was made, the Linux kernel had already gotten rid of OSS and replaced with ALSA, so his own justification for Pulseaudio's creation was outdated by the time he said it.
seems like it.

still better than raw alsa

Easiest per-application sound control.

Well whether you liked it or not, don't worry, guys, because RedHat has come to redo the Linux audio stack yet again!
pipewire.org/
and since their website font color/background color choices are utter shit, here's what the text says:
>PipeWire is a project that aims to greatly improve handling of audio and video under Linux. It aims to support the usecases currently handled by both PulseAudio and Jack and at the same time provide same level of powerful handling of Video input and output. It also introduces a security model that makes interacting with audio and video devices from containerized applications easy, with supporting Flatpak applications being the primary goal. Alongside Wayland and Flatpak we expect PipeWire to provide a core building block for the future of Linux application development.

Attached: pipewire.png (751x619, 536K)

I don't really have an opinion on it. My system uses it and it plays sound so it seems to be doing its job.

Exactly. Couldn't care less about philosophical bullshit and who the fuck is Lennard. Pulse jest werkz

unironically this

pulseaudio was made for a good reason, but with some bad design decisions. fixes a few flaws in ALSA, but adds many more

I never heard of them.

Attached: listen to what pepe says.gif (286x400, 1.96M)

>per-application volume
>multiple audio sources
>system wideequalization
>timer-based scheduling
>network audio
A good PA use will be mixing a music player output with mic input and sending it over network or as input to a VoIP program while keeping music player speaker output.

>2018
>still cannot route a single application to a specific sound device on any OS

Very low iq audio engineers in america. Very low iq.

Attached: mysoginist cat.png (149x125, 38K)

It's only good if you lock it into its KEKshed by making it a JACK client so it can't touch ALSA.

PA does that though

Jack style routing designed into it? No Pottering?

I may give it a go.

It's a penus

As with a lot of RedHat stuff, it gets its test run in Fedora, so try that out in a VM or on real hardware to see this and whatever else they're working on.

I dont have pulseaudio, i use alsa, pure alsa system, i dont miss it a bit, well except my web browser wont play the audio included in videos, but i dont give a damn about that, but the audio in the videos on my PC works fine without pulseadio,

no systemd either, :)

You can do that with pulseaudio easily.
hell you can even do it though a cute ncurses UI, with pulsemixer

it just a wrapper around alsa

It's likely you can recompile your browser to work with just alsa, as well

it's a lot better than it used to be.

This! It really isn't that bad from a user experience standpoint now a days. It was total garbage when it first came out. From my personal experience, it started not being shit around five to eight years ago.

Attached: 1509253183821.gif (355x225, 1.5M)