So Apple is claiming that its new macbook pro will be capable of CPU intensive workstation tasks...

So Apple is claiming that its new macbook pro will be capable of CPU intensive workstation tasks, that the best model has a 6 core "i9" capable of going up to 4.8 GHz.

Isn't this a load of horseshit? How can an Intel CPU boost that far in a thin laptop with reduced cooling? Won't it be thermal throttling the whole time?

Attached: macbook pro specs.png (1155x557, 96K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oSvp9MjqnZE
mobile.twitter.com/jfpoole/status/1019740723002961925
support.apple.com/en-au/HT208862
imgur.com/a/vVJLCka
9to5mac.com/2018/07/18/how-macbook-pro-throttles-with-final-cut-pro-x/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Just look shitstorm in r/Apple,macrumors,appleinsider ...

i9 underclock until 800mhz in full load, made it slower that i7.

800mhz
m
h
z

>buy this $1,000 i9 for $3,000
>who cares if it throttles to 500 MHz, the dumb nigger cattle won't know

>poorfags can't afford the best computer on the market

4.8ghz?
What do you need 2.8ghz for
No one needs more than 800mhz goy

Adding proper cooling would've required an extra half inch for some THICC heatsinks and fans, or maybe even some vapor chamber or liquid cooling.

For the price they're charging another $100-200 for some innovative cooling solution would've been the way to go, even at the expense of weight and size. Pro laptop should have pro performance. Also making it thicker probably would've allowed for higher end GPU options as well, GTX 1080 with an i9 both cooled at least halfway decently running macOS? Would sell like hotcakes to developers and actual professionals. People like the nice slim profile of the macbooks, i get that. But usability on the pro platform is suffering far too much because of it, and actual professionals can no longer purchase apple products and expect to get professional performance for their money.

>PRO
>R
>O

wait how the fuck is it APPLE'S fault when INTEL'S garbage cpu throttles what the fuck??
this won't happen when apple finally makes their own cpu's

Because it doesn't happen to other laptops because they actually provide the proper cooling.

Alienware equipped with the i9 for example, still throttles with extended loads, but it can at least generally keep at least the stated standard clockspeed.

Attached: N4FFHM1.png (774x1462, 284K)

> John Poole from Primate Labs, creator of the excellent Geek Bench 4,
>If the CPU is at 800MHz, the CPU isn’t throttling, the CPU is idle. The test isn’t using the CPU but rather the on-chip hardware encoder.
>John notes that at 800 MHz, the CPU is idling, awaiting further instructions. This 800 MHz dip that we see on the graphs is normal in the sense that 800 MHz is an idle frequency.

fake new rekt again

Intel didn't fucking design the MBP you stupid inbred.

It happens under real workloads too moron.

Like pure rendering workloads and shit like that. It simply throttles heavily down to the lowest frequency available, 800mhz.

INTEL designed the part that isn't working properly and you're blaming APPLE

what in the fuck

Nigger, the cooling is part of the laptop design, intel didn't force them to have a super then design with minimal fans that are limited from running at full speed because apple wants to control the maximum noise for their products.

To cool a 6 core 12 thread CPU you need decent cooling, with barely any airflow and barely any heatsink, what the fuck did you expect? And HOW exactly is intel to blame for this?

>super then design
*thin

Apple didn't give the processor proper cooling. No other notebook with the same processor thermal throttles as bad as the MBP. It is entirely Apple's fault.

>not boosting the fans up to max using a fan control app

Casuals.

Geekbench is worst benchmark for throttles, short benchmark use small test with pauses between test.

>get told you're wrong by creator of cpu benchmark software
>yeah but na

>Apple advertisement software defends Apple
It's almost like it's not a real benchmark software

Kek

With all the money they have, they should research a new way to cool down their laptop

>>If the CPU is at 800MHz, the CPU isn’t throttling, the CPU is idle. The test isn’t using the CPU but rather the on-chip hardware encoder.
So that's why the CPU is at 98+ utilization?
Fucking moron.

The rekning is here.

>i don't know how cpus work
>every millisecond is max load
>never cycles

lol bozo

>thinking the hardware encoder comes under the CPU utilization at all
Not to mention the fact the guy says the CPU is idle while the utilization is constantly at 98+.
>b-but its just not polling the utilization at the times the cpu is idle
But it is polling the clockspeed at those times just fine.

yeah because the hardware decoder is working for that cycle

jesus you just read it then repeat it as a negative

what a fucking idiot

>yeah because the hardware decoder is working for that cycle
Hardware encoder does not come under CPU utilization.

Is that clear enough for you?

yes i got it when i fucking posted that

what don't you get

Why you are defending the guy saying that the CPU was idle when it shows the CPU wasn't idle.

>that's what you got from the conversation

utter bozo

That's about all you can get.

So what, the apple drones will keep eating that shit and being happy while doing it.

this also happens with the i5 cpu, makes macbook pros about as fast as an acer i5 8250u offering. epic win.

>meanwhile in the dell xps thread

>go for the regular i7, the i9 throttles too much that it's slower in the end compared to the i7
> the i9 will probably throttle but it's a laptop dude, there's only so much you can fit into the form factor.
>CPU doesn't really throttle at all if the laptop is plugged in or the battery is above ~50%

no biggy!

Maybe you can afford a Macbook once you graduate from your McJob.

implying the typical apple consumer isn't some poor dude who buys their shit on credit

(You)

Even r/apple is upset. But they will still gobble down apples cock because that's what they do.

Does Dell XPS throttle below base clocks because the main issue with Apple's laptop is that the CPU throttles well below the base clocks?

Anyone even half informed knew that the i9 would be a disaster. People are more disappointed that apple didn't somehow beat physics and tame Intel's garbage overclocked i7 rebadge.

Because they are putting well known housefires in a case with shit thermals.

mobile.twitter.com/jfpoole/status/1019740723002961925

He talk about quicksync

ayyyyyyyyyyy

He's actually talking about these graphs from the 9-to-5 mac article.
What's lacking is CPU utilization. The guy claims that the CPU is going idle in those spaces but there's no real evidence of that being the case, for example they also stick it in the fridge and while it is in the fridge it doesn't drop to 800MHz like in the normal six and four core tests.

What is entirely possible is that it isn't the CPU temp as measured by that tool that is causing it to throttle. There's multiple diodes on the motherboard and in the CPU package that could all be referenced when deciding to throttle the processor.

Though an outside possibility is that it is the storage that is throttling down due to the excess heat, causing lower throughput which results in the Macbook waiting on I/O, which isn't any better to be honest.

Attached: 6-core.png (1172x725, 56K)

Also, if the Macbook Pro honestly does idle at 800MHz it should be pretty easy for someone to prove it. Just open up the power tool when you have nothing running at all and take a screen shot.

Where is your 800mhz thinkpad at user??

THINKfags btfo again!!

>Isn't this a load of horseshit
It is

Attached: 1531873782693.png (2560x1440, 2M)

Then why putting it in freezer helps?

It's what applel wants you to think. They need to justify the switch to arm.

>Though an outside possibility is that it is the storage that is throttling down due to the excess heat, causing lower throughput which results in the Macbook waiting on I/O, which isn't any better to be honest.
This makes sense as they are probably using cheapest 3d-nand ssd which throttle even in desktops under normal usage. Pretty much guaranteed throttle in hot box.

I'm pretty sure they use Samsung's chips and controller for the SSD, but we know that thermal throttling is a thing on Samsung's m.2 SSDs. The control chips are doing a lot of work and that translation into heat can damage it if it gets too hot.

Another possibility, which is within the first possibility that I threw out, is that because the hardware encoder chip is inside the CPU package (probably on the die) the temperature of the diode in that section could be going above 100C while the Package is still in the 80s.

I'm pretty sure I first heard about ssd throttling when Samsung released 950 pro m.2 ssd. sm951 didn't have this problem because they used planar mlc nand. And with every release after 950 pro samsung increased the density making throttling even worse.

HAHA
meme was good

no it's their own controller in the T2 chip

>cheapest NAND
>pushing 3000MB/S

Even when M.2 ssds throttle they're decently faster than SATA SSDs, so even if it did throttle you'd need some crazy bandwidth to actually see it waiting on i/o.

You're chatting shit

apple has their own controller in their T2 chip

>The T2 encrypts "every bit" of data sent to the flash storage array in the iMac Pro, wrote Snell, and is responsible for decrypting it for the user. As a result, should the flash array be pulled from the iMac Pro, the data is irretrievable outside of the unit.

>such as the System Management Controller, image signal processor, audio controller, and SSD controller—the Apple T2 chip delivers new capabilities to your Mac.

>>pushing 3000MB/S
Yeah and what? It's still cheap.
And saying it's pushing 3000 MB/S is like saying mbp 2018 with i9 pushes 4.8 GHz. Well it can happen hypothetically.

> John Poole from Primate Labs, creator of the excellent Geek Bench 4,

geekbench defending apple WHO WOULD HAVE KNEW ABOUT THAT

except it pulls those speeds

>doesn't know cost but calls it cheap
>fastest ssd in a notebook at the moment
>uses their own controller to get those speeds

why you so mad?

>pushing 3000MB/S
Yeah, I don't know you can honestly believe it'll be able to do that with an 800 MHz CPU. You'll be bottlenecked so hard.

>I had to do a double take when I saw how quickly the new 13-inch MacBook Pro duplicated 4.9GB worth of data. It took 2 seconds, which comes out to a rate of 2,519 megabytes per second. That's insane.

>So we also ran the BlackMagic Disk Speed test for macOS, and the system returned an average write speed of 2,682 MBps.

the T2 handles all that and is separate so yeah be fine

The T2 doesn't do any SSD controller functions. It's a co-processor for Siri, encryption, etc.

Ayy don't hate on the Acer 8520u

Just bought a convertible one for $325 and replaced the old 5400rpm HDD with an SSD

Shit's cash

>such as the System Management Controller, image signal processor, audio controller, and SSD controller—the Apple T2 chip delivers new capabilities to your Mac.

>and SSD controller

That's from apple

support.apple.com/en-au/HT208862

also imac pro had the same

>As for the disk controller? There isn’t one—or more accurately, the disk controller is built into the T2 itself. This gives the T2 complete control over internal storage on the iMac Pro. This has some major benefits in terms of speed and security.

oof.mp3

>Intel didn't fucking design the MBP you stupid inbred.
Intel provided the thermal for 10nm CPU that supposedly this notebooks use. Apple decided to employ 14 nm CPUs anyways.
Granted, Apple is responsible too. They refuse to acknowdelge their weakest spot on the cooling system (its not the heatsink, but the chink foreskin thermal compound they apply in their heatsinks). They refuse to solder the heatsink to the CPU (The only thing soldered that Jow Forums will call sensible) they refuse to expand their heat dissipation area (The 2015 macbook pro could cold that CPU a bit easily) they refuse to go to exotic things like use the actual enclosure as a massive heatsink instead of pretending that aluminum is magic, etc.
Intel is fucked, intel should don't have released those processors, but mostly fault is on Apple side.

Have you data on that?

No, it does look like it has the SSD controller in it too.
And I was wrong, looks like they're using Toshiba modules for the SSD. One thing that is interesting is that the T2 is sitting on 1GB of RAM. Do I remember correctly that the chip is very much an A10 or A11 processor. That processor already has most of those necessary controllers in it so it wouldn't surprise me if its pretty much a case of old stock repurposed, use something we already have.
But heat could even more be an issue for it if that is the case.

How much time until some guy writes FakeSecurityEnclave.kext?

yeah just like since touch ID in 2013 and the secure enclave was broken then

I'm still curious what drove apple to release the mbp 15 inch with an i9 in all honesty. They knew it was going to be shit and they knew that it will be bad pr, so why? Is there financial gain anyways? Is the average consumer that clueless?

The guy is a lying fanboi

Probably they're stop gaps for the Mac Pro.
Apple had a perfect design in 2009. They only have got the space grey treatment and give it thunderbolt 2 ports. If they have done that probably they have could keep their notebook line sane because the power would be in the Mac Pro and not on a thin laptop that pretends to be a fashion statement before a computer one.

FakeSMC can't do shit like the real SMC can't do. The purpose of it is not emulate complete SMC functionality but make fool the OS to allow it to boot.

>didn't see the T2 handles secure booting

>During startup, your Mac verifies the integrity of the operating system (OS) on your startup disk to make sure that it's legitimate. If the OS is unknown or can't be verified as legitimate, your Mac connects to Apple to download the updated integrity information it needs to verify the OS. This information is unique to your Mac, and it ensures that your Mac starts up from an OS that is trusted by Apple.

Attached: macos-high-sierra-startup-security-utility.png (746x652, 70K)

Then is not need, right?

The T2 chip isn’t a joke and is severely ignored by everyone. Apple is now including custom hardware not only to differentiate the hardware but also take control on a different level. While this is great for security, it also is taking more control away from the user.
Also, it’s their plan to remove intel from the equation eventually.

Guys it's really not thermal throttling a pro apple user confirmed it

Attached: Unbenannt.png (1086x309, 44K)

>Also, it’s their plan to remove intel from the equation eventually.
No, stop buying that stupid rumor. ARM still can't repleace x86. That's a rumor that probably some party with interests on ARM started to make Apple adopt it, because their historial of dictating market trends.
AMD tried shilling ARM servers and failed. That's why designed Zen do be chill and efficiently as fuck.

>1 guy claimed throttling
>everyone posting about it
>Jow Forums links to articles which just link back to 1 YTer
>1 guy says doesn't throttle
>mock him

Every year that goes by general consumers need x86 less and less

They would do the air/macbook line first

It's not just one youtuber anymore.

This is a long term plan. They are building a co processor to offload work and simplify translation from iOS. As more and more stuff written on iOS is ported over or just runs natively what will be the point of Intel except to run adobe products and some specialized stuff the minority need. No one in the Apple world who uses apps now on iPad for 80% of shit will give a fuck. Just wait and see this is their 5-10 year plan to lock everyone into their ecosystem.

There's been more tests done even by crapple fansites. It throttles you mongoloid

>Every year that goes by general consumers need x86 less and less
But the chain doesn't only include general consumers. Its true that lots of shit can done in ARM but also, they're one or two pieces of software that will not work as they did in x86. And you have to add the developers to the equation.
Considering that they are still releasing Macbook Pros, even now with more power and issues, they're designing a new Mac Pro, they released the iMac Pro and plan to update the Mac Mini, they will stay on x86 for a Long time.

Pretty much every macbook pro has done this 800mhz throttle when using all cores. Why the fuck do people keep buying them?

Because they can.

Is there evidence of that or just simply making up shit because the bloomberg shilling attempt?

k12 isnt even ready user amd havent shilled yet any arm design YET

Where's that from?

/reddit/

Yeah, but still, get fucked.
imgur.com/a/vVJLCka
Drops from 2.9 to 0.8.

>Intel provided the thermal for 10nm CPU that supposedly this notebooks use.
>intel
>10nm
Pick one faggit.
>Intel provided the thermal for 10nm CPU that supposedly this notebooks use.
Their spec sheet says 45W literally.
9to5mac.com/2018/07/18/how-macbook-pro-throttles-with-final-cut-pro-x/
Maximal usage is 20W under extreme temps.

>75ºC at 800Mhz
So, this is the power of Apple products...

Temperature drops rapidly in accordance with frequency but is kept that high because heatsink is hot. There is nothing spectacular in that.

>Pick one faggit.
Its not like manufacturers are provided with brochures for future products lad.
Apple designed these enclosures for 10 nm CPUs, thinking that Intel would have them ready. Intel obviously fucked up.
But its also Apple fault, because they decided to use a suboptimal enclosure with CPUs that are becoming thermal infernos.
Apple is doing the exact shit that made them not launch new Mac Pros for almost five years.

>aren't provided
My fault.