Any XPS 15 owners in here? Looking for advice...

Any XPS 15 owners in here? Looking for advice. I'm thinking about getting a maxed out model (only 1tb solid state tho) and I'm concerned about i9's throttling frequency. Also is it worth upgrading to a 4k screen? It's nearly $400 more and it eats away at the battery.

Attached: Dell_XPS_15_9560_PRO_64-bit_Notebook_2.jpg (1225x781, 141K)

Oh and how would this stack up against say the Precision 7730?

Not really.

Quad HD makes sense in a laptop, 4K doesn't.

>buying an intel housefire laptop

I'm open to alternatives. Trying to stay within the 15" category.

I bought an XPS 15 and I regret it. If you have a good monitor already, it's not worth it.

got the 9560 with uhd 16gb ram, left speaker are crackling even in the low volume. I heard the problem are persist in all xps 15 series, even after replacement

go for the regular i7, the i9 throttles too much that it's slower in the end compared to the i7

otherwise it's a great laptop if you get a good one, there are several lemons so keep that return policy in check - I have a 9560 FHD

otherwise i very satisfied, gorgeous display, amazing build quality, noice touchpad, etc

>regret
I've read about multiple issues plaguing the xps including the speaker issue, which is why I'm concerned.
>go for the regular i7, the i9 throttles too much
I'm starting to think I should just go with a desktop instead.

>I'm starting to think I should just go with a desktop instead.
depends on what you want to do, I was able to use it as a light workstation (compiling, coding, testing) with zero problems - not as fast as my desktop but it's not slow at all, it has a nvme ssd and 16GB + i7 quad core with HT

I don't foresee myself carrying it around often, but I like the portability factor and the small footprint. I'd be using it for CAD stuff, 3D modelling and occasionally dicking around with the odd game like forza horizon.

the 4K screen was nice. but I wouldnt get the XPS, I'd opt for the MacBook Pro IMHO.

Get an Asus laptop. Got one with i7 8550u, fullhd, gtx1050, 16 gb and 512 ssd for 1100€.
UX331
spend the rest on a used xein workstation.
For the price of that XPS you can have much more

he has a point OP. if your Canada they have a pre sweet deal rn

Attached: Screenshot_20180719-014659.png (1440x2560, 612K)

That thumbnail reminds me of goatse

I'm in the unique situation of being able to buy any custom built Dell computer (laptop or desktop) at a quarter of the retail price.

I have an XPS 15 with an i7, the non-4k screen though. It's a really nice laptop for Linux.
Battery lasts forever and the CPU doesn't really throttle at all if the laptop is plugged in or the battery is above ~50%

The i9 is not worth it. Otherwise, it's a fine laptop!

>all this throttling
>it's no so bad!
>great otherwise!

>meanwhile apple thread
>Jow Forums showing how retarded they are
>it's okay when dell does it

If you're gonna be gaming on it get the 1080p version, the i9 will probably throttle but it's a laptop dude, there's only so much you can fit into the form factor.

You should be talking about the retarded webcam makes you look like skinner.

Attached: skinner.png (800x450, 359K)

>implying I wouldn't want to look like Skinner
If I could, I'd order a model without the cam.

laptop so choose what you want more. A laptop with quadro will be better for CAD, a laptop with geforce for games.

Anyway I'd go for a Dell Precision if budget wasn't a problem. I have an older one and it's great stuff

They should just remove it entirely. Seriously it's like the Apple mouse charging scenario bad. Mind bogglingly retarded.

Attached: Magic-Mouse-2-charging-port.jpg (1023x612, 30K)

I have a workplace provided XPS15 with a 7th gen i7 and the 1080p screen.
The screen is great, great colors and good looking fonts. CPU is alright, when under load the fans ramp up and get pretty noisy but it still maintains an acceptable frequency. Keyboard is meh, but like all modern laptop keyboards so nothing surprising. Trackpad is really good, but still not perfect. Battery life is okay on the 1080p version from my experience. Build quality is excellent too.
The cons though
>only 2 USB ports
>webcam at the bottom bezel
>speakers crackle at max volume, but otherwise are okay

Overall it's pretty good, works great for my work needs (programming, remote, etc).
Don't think I'd recommend the i9 version, the i7 already throttles under max load for a while, can't imagine the i9 on it. Also 4k is useless on a 15 inch display, ideally it would be 1440p, but 1080 is more than enough, I say this as someone who has a 5k screen on their desktop.

Don't get the i9, if it's in a laptop it'll be thermal throttled to the point it won't even be at base clock speed. Just get an i7, with all other specs maxed out, it'll perform better. Also, if you're doing a work load, that requires an i9 for speed. You should be looking for a desktop.

get the i9 and use throttlestop to underclock and undervolt. also get some thermall grizzly

>buy 4k monitor
>sudddenly all of my pics are full water droplets
>tfw i fell for a literal meme

Attached: 1508258713340.jpg (1068x720, 88K)

My work machine is the 8th gen i7, 16gb ram with the 4k monitor. I run the monitor at 1080p, since it looks no different and i don't have to deal with the rubbish that is scaling in Linux, not to mention battery life. It's a very nice machine and feels good to use, no complaints other than that fucking webcam. I've only had to use it once though.