Ram bloat

Is there any reason why a home desktop would ever need more than 4GB of RAM?

Attached: gaymer.jpg (1280x720, 174K)

Modern web in modern browser.

Are you actually using a browser?

Firefox Quantum rarely goes over a gig of memory used. Bookmarks keep the tab count below 10 and everything loads up just fine.

Yes, doing anything at the same time as web browsing.

I never understood this meme where tiny webpages that could fit in a maybe 10mb memory space if the entire website was loaded into a ramdisk take a gigabyte to run in a shit browser that also does paging and cacheing

w3m-img, use it cucks.

I dunno, you tell me.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 11.28.49.png (636x454, 99K)

this is such bad bait

I use one virtual machine per customer to keep software and data clean and separated.
Usually each VM has 8 GB RAM allocated
Sometimes I need to open VMs for 2 customers
So I bought 32 GB ECC RAM

Depends on what you are doing. But I believe that many people wouldn't need more.

What is the wecommended amount of dedotated wam to servur...

Well considering most "home desktops" use Windows 10 and the fact that Windows 10 uses up 2 gigs by itself, yeah I'd say more than 4 gigs is needed especially if they use Firefox.

Attached: drt92uczf6r01.jpg (698x502, 50K)

You need more RAM to run a bloated operating system. You don't need more if you run a decent DE on a Linux distro, and don't open a retarded amount of tabs in any browser.

4GiB - minimal
8GiB - optimal
16GiB - ample

>GiB

can't run Photoshop in lelux

Why's a messaging app using over 600MB?

it's short for "gibs me dat"

>limiting your software usage based on ram
is this 1999?

no, he's saying the exact opposite. if you run a minimal distro and don't like having fuckloads of tabs open then you don't need more ram.

It just amazes me still how the software industry can't even agree on a standard unit of measurement

who the fuck wants to do that on a personal computer

>I wasted money on a computer which I use only for internet browsing. Everyone else should be like me.

>1985
>mario bros, game with 8x8 texture resolution
>runs smoothly at 60 fps on a 1.66 megahertz processor with 8 kilobytes of ram

>2018
>minecraft, game with 8x8 texture resolution
>struggling to run 25 fps on a 4.00 gigahertz processor (note: 2500 times more powerful) and 64 gigabytes of ram (note: over 8000 times more powerful)

The PC master race huh?

not everyone uses computers the same way, user. some people have only minimal needs which are satisfied by minimal hardware.

I think that's a stupid statement.

If you only use your desktop for minimal needs then you are running windows, not some minimalist Linux distro, in which case the point is moot.

Now that's a stupid statement. My old laptop was pretty much unusable with Win7. Now I can once again use it for browsing, programming and writing.

>what is tmpfs?

>If you only use your desktop for minimal needs then you are running windows
doesn't stupid at all, huh?

No thanks I use the superior Links2 -g

No thanks, I'm not autistic

how do people switch tabs if they have more than 10? Where is the setting to enable Tab Switching between more than 10 Tabs?

this is something i never understood. i don't get why the tabs aren't at least grouped by domain and no extension that i've tried offers this kind of functionality. even Windows Vista grouped applications in the start menu. i've been drawing up some wireframes on how this could be implemented and will probably post them on MDN & Chromium devs forums.

Not a valid comparison

I notice things with 8 gig like when i alt tab between wow and internet it's much better with 8 than 4.

7 tabs open in firefox using 650MB

It's not a matter of minimalism, just efficiency. Running Ubuntu MATE, a web browser, and a few other extra programs wouldn't be an issue on 4GB.

Modern browser

32GB minimum in a few years

Microsoft chose GB for 1024 and GiB for 1000. Also it made more sense to do it this way.

When people say 1000 GiB, they mean 1000/1024 GB.

>memory pressure
>pressure

Attached: 1502998946119.jpg (777x759, 246K)

This shit makes me sick. It's ludicrous and shameful how much browsers and most websites waste so much resources.

It's the opposite though.
1 MB = 10^6 Byte = 1,000,000 Byte
1 MiB = 2^20 Byte = 1,048,576 Byte

mine sits on 3gb just after booting up. please help

? But it's always been 1024 KB = 1 MB. Only until those crazy retail shoppers demanded it be changed to...

I understand it to a certain degree, as Mega as a metric prefix means 10^6. It was weird for MB to be the exception.
Not that it was their intention to make things clear. They just want to sell less bytes for the same price.

>bragging about low ram usage
let your shit use ram you retarded fucks, you're sacrificing performance just to be minimal. no one is impressed.

I've got a serious question about ram and page file size
>Playing game and watching YouTube yesterday
>commit is 10.6gb, physical usage 6.5
>Game randomly stuttering
>Cpu/gpu usage both at 20-25%
>Turn off automatic page file handling
>Set starting size at 12gb (have 8 of ram)
>Set other setting (max iirc) at 24gb
>restart game
>Commit is now 6.5
>Ram at 6.5
>Game runs perfectly now no more stuttering (it wasn't parked cores or bottlenecking of c/gpu)
What gives? I have a hard time believing it was solely that but nothing else was changed
tl;dr what the fuck?
>inb4 something something Linux
I'm too lazy to learn I just want pley gjame me am no brain has

It was always 1 KILObyte = 1000 byte. Just like 1 KILOgram is 1000 gram. Kilo is literally translated to thousand (greek).
Only because the majority of people thinks that 1KB=1024 Byte doesn't make it right.

2 GBs of RAM here who can comfortably browse the internet just fine. Is there a page out there that actually eats that much RAM or you're just baiting?

Not that user but srsly why

I dont like having to close what I'm doing if I want to do something else for a few minutes. I'm frequently at around 12-15gb of ram usage

>Microsoft

Attached: binary prefixes orgs.png (1280x905, 289K)

Is the browser tab thing a meme?
>Done using website
>click the little x on the tab
Wow so easy

Yes

Browser: 5-10GB
Atom: 2GB
3D modeling: 2GB
Image editing: 2GB
Music: 1GB
Video editing: 10-18GB
Other misc shit: 5GB

>LIKE OMAGWAD, CLOSE WHAT YOU'RE NOT USING, JUST BEE YOURSELF :^)

FUCK OFF NORMIE, MY WORKFLOW REQUIRES MULTITASKING, UNLIKE YOU I USE MY PC FOR MORE THAN JUST UPLOADING DUCKFACES ON INSTAGRAM. KILL YOURESELF FUCKING NORMALFAG RETARD, HANG ALL NORMIES, KILL THEM ALL KILL KILL KIllllllllllllllllllLLL

>It just amazes me still how the software industry can't even agree on a standard unit of measurement
you can blame american's on that.
You'd be surprised at how much money has been wasted when american's and europeans worked together on the space program. Constant confusion cause the americans can't into the same metric the entire fucking planet uses

>Music: 1GB
what the fuck

iTunes with a library of 30,000 songs.

why does it need to reside in RAM
>why am I answering an obvious troll post

WHERE ELSE IT'S GGOING TO RESIDE, FUCKNUGGET? WHAT KIND OF MONGOLOID QUESTION IS THAT YOU FUCKER??

>Bloat: 5-10GB
>Bloat: 2GB
>3D modeling: 2GB
>Image bloating: 2GB
>Bloat: 1GB
>Video editing: 10-18GB
>Other misc bloat: 5GB

Not if you disable JavaScript

I would agree with you if you weren't so insufferable. But ya, I don't get this current Jow Forums luddite mindset. Ram is pretty fucking cheap, who cares? I don't know why you would be against having at least 16gb in today's world

It's not just messaging, it's also a bunch of background stuff like telemetry.

>Ram is pretty fucking cheap, who cares?

Attached: ramprice.png (1608x981, 100K)

>Is there any reason why a home desktop would ever need more than 4GB of RAM?
Well, Gnome with firefox and ~20 tabs + chromium with youtube opened, + large Calc spreadsheet and a few other desktop applications opened (like Evolution, Transmission torrent and Sonata mpd client) do manage to get into the "swap to disk" territory.

I will however say if you're just doing basic desktop shit like me 8GB is plenty.

>Only until those crazy retail shoppers demanded it be changed to...
Say what. SI prefixes were standardized in the 1790

Can anyone explain this? Since I updated windows I'm getting this garbage. I opened a ton of tabs to see if it got worse, but it seems like it's switching between chrome and firefox.

Attached: bloat.png (816x844, 34K)

My Rockboxed Sansa Clip Zip has playlists with thousands of songs but I doubt it has even 1 GB of memory.

>Atom: 2GB
It's less about "close whaty ou're not using" and more about "stop using pajeetware.

2GB of memory for a fucking text editor, comedy gold

Attached: 1506154450801.png (470x470, 299K)

except one is pure 2D and one is 3D, also higher resolution

OBSERVED

What's the alternative then? Even Sublime text is bloated as fuck.

dubs of truth
checked

>iTunes
lol riced foobar doesn't even use 100mb of ram with that many songs

Vi, nano, Emacs

DO these have tabs, session saving and minimap?

I had to do some numerical computations for University and for large n, even my 16GB were insufficient, even though the calculation time shouldn't have been that long.
Obviously I could have utilized some caching strategies, but that is both slow and not bothersome.

Just >> what you want to write into the file.
Real programmers don't need anything more bloated then that.

In emacs you don't have to "save" a session because you can run it as a server and just connect the client whenever you need

Attached: 1443808179896.png (342x245, 66K)

Sounds like tryhard "le epic l33t hax0rz XDD" horseshit that only unemployed script kiddies/pretentious luddites need, I have stuff to do and if efficient features are bloat so be it.

Sometimes I get crashes for low RAM when compiling chromium. 8GB seems better for this.

>Sounds like tryhard "le epic l33t hax0rz XDD" horseshit that only unemployed script kiddies/pretentious luddites need, I have stuff to do and if efficient features are bloat so be it.
No, you are just a retard and some inexperienced programmer.
Text editors are complete bloat any REAL PROGRAMMER knows that, using pipes is good enough, it has been good enough for the people before you so it should be good enough for you.

nah man
*freezes*
Ain't no one needs
*throttles system*
no more than 4 GB
*crashes application*
of RAM

Runs on Electron. I.E. the application uses its own Chrome process so the devs can write it in JavaScript as if it were a browser app, instead of porting it to the target OS natively using a sane language (C++/Python/Go/etc.)

The only thing that sounds tryhard right now is you.

Yeah because old Mario was fun.

Attached: 1531912572322.png (593x204, 19K)

Quints of truth.

Attached: 1531947384669.gif (600x455, 51K)

Of course. Programs get more complex and more data hungry (although not nearly always justified) and I like doing stuff on my desktop that'll take all the memory it can get.

chad jedec

Local crypto wallets and any web page that refreshes on its own

otherway around brainlet

Creative hobby.