Google Just Fined $5 Billion for Abusing Android Dominance

tomsguide.com/us/google-eu-android-fine,news-27637.html
>The European Union on Wednesday (July 18) slapped Google with a whopping $5.06 billion fine for allegedly abusing its position as the dominant mobile smartphone operating system maker.

>Google was also ordered to change business practices to ensure fairer competition in the European mobile market. It's the biggest fine ever levied on a tech company — a record Google previously held when it was fined about half that last year.

>In a statement, European Commission competition watchdog Margrethe Vestager said that Google engaged in three activities that her office believes violate competition rules. Those activities included requiring smartphone manufacturers to pre-install Google Search and Chrome on their devices in order to use Google's Play marketplace; paying smartphone makers and mobile network operators to only pre-install Google Search on devices; and preventing manufacturers from selling any devices that were running alternative Android versions that weren't approved by Google.

Good! I fucking hated that shit and buying a crap phone meant i'm stuck with it cause there are now root options.
Can't wait for the next fine when they get caught for violation European privacy which is inevitable

Attached: aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS84LzUvNDkxNDc3L29yaWdpbmFsL2FuZHJvaWQtb3Zlci1ldXJvcGUuanBn.jpg (500x351, 43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-18-4581_en.htm
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-09-06/intel-gets-boost-in-1-26-billion-fight-as-case-sent-for-review
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>it's the EU needs cash and 'fines' an american company for it episode

>"Our case is about three types of restrictions that Google has imposed on Android device manufacturers and network operators to ensure that traffic on Android devices goes to the Google search engine," Vestager said in a statement. "In this way, Google has used Android as a vehicle to cement the dominance of its search engine. These practices have denied rivals the chance to innovate and compete on the merits. They have denied European consumers the benefits of effective competition in the important mobile sphere. This is illegal under EU antitrust rules."
>Huge Impact Beyond Fine
In its justification for the historic fine, the EU's competition watchdog said it's based on the "duration and gravity of the infringement." But the fine itself might not be Google's biggest concern.
In addition to the fine, Vestager's office wants Google to change its business practices. It can no longer engage in the three violating activities. That would mean Android device makers would no longer need to pre-install Google Search and Chrome in Android. Google would also need to stop preventing forked Android versions from coming to the market without its approval.
The move could have a profound impact on Google, which derives significant revenue from the advertising it derives from Android devices. If mobile device makers use Android but turn their backs on Google services, Android might stop being as much of a cash cow for the company.

>Google Denies Wrongdoing
Of course, Google denies the EU's contention and will likely do everything it can to appeal the decision. But Google has 90 days to stop its business practices and will face EU monitoring going forward.
In addition to the fine, Google could be forced to pay up to 5 percent of its average daily worldwide revenue for violating the agreement Vestager's office hopes to make with the company. Worse yet, that 5 percent is on all the revenue of Google's parent Alphabet and not just the revenue it generates on Android.

Attached: 1531286658867.jpg (460x540, 68K)

Excellent. More money to fund immigration to dest... save Europe!

Attached: 1509520283490.jpg (220x220, 19K)

Cut it our rabbi.

Posted
europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-18-4581_en.htm

inb4 more angry amerilards

Remember that time they basically did the same thing to MS and it didn't matter at all?

Intel too. It doesn't matter because they will find a way to avoid paying the fine.
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-09-06/intel-gets-boost-in-1-26-billion-fight-as-case-sent-for-review

Attached: oy vey.jpg (604x604, 33K)

Manufacturers are going to preinstall chrome and Gsearch anyaway

i don't think it's so much about the money than preinstalling shit on phones. i mean that amount of money shouldn't be a problem for google but if you make them change their policies it might make it easier for manufacturers to bloat their phones with something other than whatever google is pushing.

lol that's right.
They just keep postponing and reviewing till all the money has already been made and the fine amounts to a wrist slap

>but if you make them change their policies it might make it easier for manufacturers to bloat their phones with something other than whatever google is pushing.
0.05 cents has been deposited into your account

>>it's the EU needs cash and 'fines' an american company for it episode
and to think europe is the one with the stronger currency

>default settings are against the law
blame normies
And you don't even need google search or chrome to use the play store, so what are they complaining about?

thank you based EU

When will you pathetic Eurofaggots stop pretending you're in any way relevant? Imagine thinking Google will care about a $5 billion fine for a drummed up antitrust case
Not American by the way

>t. bootlicker

You're the one licking some dried up lesbian's taint user, I don't even use Google products

>play store
>not google

>billions, actually milliards
Fucking burgers

It only took most of Europe banding together and the Yanks intentionally deflating their own currency.

>it's the EU needs cash 4 gibs and ''fines'' a foreign company episode
they don't even need the native middle class any more

>total equity $152 billion
oh no google is doomed

Have you read this? The 5 billions are not the relevant part of the story

Based. Fuck google

EU is just jealous

Attached: 1515353643358.png (664x840, 203K)

If the EU pushes too hard, Google can just pull out of Europe, let startups and competitors proliferate and then just drive back in and destroy them again, even with all the red tape they're still light years beyond any other company in terms of the quality of their product and its demand. If they really think they have the upper hand over Google they're in for a rude awakening.

I'm not sure of how realistic your prediction is, but let's assume that what you say is true. Google completely abandoning EU wouldn't be relevant?

apple literally doing the exact same shit, gets off scott free.

google leaves EU, so i am forced to use fucking SIRI? WTF EU GTFO AND BURN YOURSELF!

Attached: 1481874201471s.jpg (241x250, 6K)

Of course it would be relevant, but in a mortal sense? I doubt it. If the European market has no serious competitor to Google then their only hope is to see the company break up entirely.

Except literally not.
Why do you poorfags keep defending google?

US for-profit corporations all need to be fined out of existence and some new institutions need to be developed.

Lmao. Keep reaching kiddo. Apple makes there own hardware and software they can do what they want.
Except many wont. I don't see Samsung giving a shit about google. Hell, even Microsoft might drop a MS skinned android phone if they don't have to suck off google.

Word.

>$5 Billion
Oh no CEOs kid is not getting his lunch money today

A "psychopathic golem" make not respond well to such a statement. ;)

Attached: US-Failing.jpg (1200x1200, 936K)

Ooof.Looking like Fuschia might not be coming to Europe.

Google was literally founded by a jew.

With the proper infrastructure in place, it should be rather simple to track packets and correlate that info with posts to Jow Forums. The NSA almost certainly has this capability. Do you think Google does as well?

Attached: nsa-utah-data-center.jpg (3000x1608, 956K)

Not a thing. Get over it.

>he unironically believes gapps has any sort of quality
Even freetards reverse engineering everything have much better gapps replacements with microg and Aurora Store
Samsung's browser and a few other apps beat their Google counterparts as well
Google's only reason to have market dominance are the draconian OHA terms, otherwise plenty of competence would go head to head against Google

Plenty of manufacturers rather ship some adware browser for a few bucks, or one of the Chromium forks with nice adblocking that aren't completely owned by Google

>Europe's only industry is taxes
>eurocucks will defend this

Attached: best country.jpg (4837x3240, 3.73M)

gotta pay all for all those rapefugees somehow.

>The only movie that started out as a comedy and is turning into a documentary
That's not true though. Wag the Dog is a comedy that joked about a president attacking some irrelevant country in order to distract the public from a sex scandal. A year later Clinton attacked Serbia in order to distract the public from the Lewinski scandal.

It's even easier for google, considering google analytics is on this site

Practically everything the government has done since the 20th century,has been Wag the Doglike.Our country is comprised of good,hard working people,being led by the scum of the earth.It couldn't be any easier to see.I really wish the lies and corruption would stop.

Cool map, do you mind if I save it?

Glad I'm not the only one that thinks the Samsung browser is better than chrome. Both came pre-installed on my S8 and I don't think I've touched chrome once.

>jews punishing jews for being greedy jews is a bad thing

>milliards, actually billions
Fucking bongs