/spg/ - Smartphone General

post A E S T H E T I C phones edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

previous thread

Attached: SonyXperiaXZ1CompactReviewTI.jpg (680x453, 57K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_5_pro-8893.php
aliexpress.com/item/Global-Version-Original-Letv-LeEco-Le-2-X526-3GB-RAM-32GB-Mobile-Phone-Snapdragon-652-Octa/32877243006.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.65124c4dbQnMyX
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

if i get this new z5c, and it starts rebooting or some shit like ive heard it does im gonna off myself

Attached: 1505070519662.jpg (768x1024, 119K)

>z5c
>snapmeme 810

you're f*cked.

XZ1 Premium was the last good Sony phone.

Are there any modern smartphones with cameras better than the HTC 10?
Comparing it to the HTC U11 It seems like it had way more stuff like panoramic image support, slow motion video recording, serial shot mode, laser autofocus, higher pixel size, etc.
It even had airplay.
Did HTC just downgrade all their future phones after the HTC 10?

i have one (looking to upgrade), doesn't reboot but it does get a bit hot.

Looking for a new phone, what should I get that satisfies:
>good battery
>no overheating
>sounds good via headphones jack with nice iems (campfires) while listening to .flac
>fm radio a bonus
>close to stock android or easy to flash to lineage also a bonus

i don't care about photo quality so much, and i also don't play games.

What is the best carrier?

Attached: attcommercialfeatured-1272x620_rev1.jpg (1272x620, 149K)

Got myself a Xiaomi RedMi Note A5 and...dude, there's so much info everywhere and different about how to root it, I don't even know where to begin with it because it's a fucking mess, any of you fine Jow Forumsentomen may lend a helping hand?

I had a Z5C. Everything about it is great except for the 810 CPU. That thing would get pretty hot and eat up the battery.

If you can afford it, get the XZ1C. It's the same for the most part, but getting the latest OS updates and this thing barely even gets warm and only for the most intense applications. Battery life is superb; as long as you don't have some stupid battery draining app, you can get 2 days per charge easily.

But yeah, I'd you can only afford the Z5C, that's ok too.

Either way, make sure you get the fingerprint sensor working. That thing is a godsend and it's stupid that it's not the standard method for all phones and it sucks that it's gone in the XZ2 line.

What are the best practices for charging a phone to preserve the battery's quality? XA2 if that matters - it has some additional battery preservation features, apparently.

Oh and I forgot, make sure to get at least some kind of case for it. The glass back of the phone makes it super easy to crack/break.

Doesn't the ZX1C have a wifi issue? Is there a way to fix or avoid that?

My XZ1C had a feature where it figures out your typical sleep/overnight charging schedule. It will charge the phone up to 95% (IIRC) then wait until about 30 minutes before you regularly wake up to charge the last bit to 100%.

Boost mobile

No idea. I haven't had any wifi issues at all. Sorry.

I've done other research (just seeing what people do here for comparison) and one thing most guides recommended was capping it at 80% generally. The numbers varied but the averages seemed to be: avoid dropping below 20% when possible, and avoid going above 80% when possible.

The articles were completely split when it comes to the well-known "drain to 0 and go all the way to 100" deal. Some said never do it, some said do it maybe once a month. So I really don't know.

Glad to see my phone in the OPa

HTC UC11

bought a Xiaomi Redmi 5 Plus off amazon last night

Attached: 1531528377330.jpg (1080x1263, 149K)

Trying to get out of pying every month for my phone and am just gonna buy one outright? I want an aux, usb-c, 1080p is fine, would like a big screen if possible, expandable storage FOR SURE, don't really need fingerprint unlock or a notch but am okay with them, wanna spend like $400. What should I buy? Was thinking like a pixel or something by oneplus maybe.

Attached: E7CBC43D-0D9A-4211-A45D-C911FE7ABB61.jpg (1043x847, 135K)

I just double checked. It's 90%, not 95%, if that helps any.

Good news is that with the XZ1C, likely you'll never drop below 20% unless you're particularly abusive with the phone.

All depends on who your carrier is

Tmobile

Are textnow phones reliable?

What's your current phone?

An iphone 8, wanna change to android cause I need a damn heaphone jack and some expandable storage for once

congrats you got meme'd by Jow Forums

z5c looks good but its a shitty phone

I've had a Sony Xperia Z2 for a few years and it's doing wonders even now, but I've noted that there's too much used space even when I barely have big apps or files there. The built-in file explorer has a free file analiser and it found a hidden folder in the DCIM folder that was around 10GB, I've done some search and it seems it's the thumbnail folder. Is making an empty file with the same name the solution to that?

LG G6 is about $400 if you have Amazon Prime
Nokia 6.1/Moto X4 are good choices for under $300

Will check out the G6 thanks fampai

redmi note 5 is good.
there, my job is done in this threads

Attached: Screenshot_2018-07-21-10-48-43-393_org.floens.chan.png (1080x2160, 215K)

Yeah, that's the battery care feature my XA2 has. I guess it's useful if someone does overnight charging, but the articles I read also said that overnight charging is a terrible idea regardless. Also if 80% really is the recommended upper limit then having it stop at 90% is pointless.

That's really what I'm trying to figure out here.

Thanks for recommending the 5T guys
Had it for 6 months now and I love it so much, its perfect

Attached: 1522875631196.jpg (416x297, 13K)

Articles and "smart" people like to exaggerate. The reality is that battery tech is better than ever and unless your plan on keeping your phone for like, 5+ years, you'll likely not even notice the small degradation that occurs. Misbehaving apps and longterm bloat has a bigger impact than battery memory loss.

Don't sweat it.

Also, those 20%-80% numbers are just guidelines. Actual numbers can vary between battery tech, manufacturer, and day-to-day use, and other factors.

Thanks, I don't want to sound obsessed about it or anything. It's just that this is the first phone I've had which doesn't have a removable battery - except my Moto G4, but that thing's overheating issues are to blame there for sure.

The battery life on this XA2 is brilliant (not XZ1C brilliant but still close) and I don't want my own bad habits to ruin that, is all.

They won't ruin it. It's like all that hubbub about SSDs failing because of too many writes.

Yes, typical phone use/charging habits will degrade battery life, but were talking like losing 20% capacity in like, 5-10 years.

Just use that 90% overnight charging feature and don't drain the battery to

Oh also, there's a documentary on Netflix called "Search for the Super Battery". It's alright, but it shows some examples of how battery tech has changed over the years and the science behind it. I think a lot of the fear, uncertainty, and doubt around batteries, degradation, and charging are largely overblown and influenced by past experiences with obsolete battery tech.

Funnily one of the articles I looked at was going somewhat in the opposite direction of fearmongering.

It was stating that batteries nowadays do have the potential to be really good and long-lasting, provided you take proper care of it.

Pixel 1 or Xz1C

Attached: 1516527969660.jpg (512x512, 27K)

Pixel 2>1

i bought a redmi 5 plus off amazon like a week ago, my nigga, probably same seller

pixel 2's expensive brah

Why buy a chinkphone?

Attached: 1423454888480.png (339x329, 83K)

Just get the latest Galaxy or iphone. We all know those are the best. Or pixel.

galaxy amoleds turn yellow, i can't use poweramp on an iphone, and i dont know enough about the pixels amoled panel to just blindly buy it

Attached: 1522961642660.jpg (598x598, 58K)

$250 phone just as useful as last year's flagship besides camera with better battery life. Unlocked without any bullshit. Easier to unlock bootloader and install other ROMs because they don't care if you do this and actually provide tools for it while US phones usually lock shit down.

But won't it break sooner? Because it's chink.

They're all chink. Most of my family is still using 3yo chinkphones atm (xiaomi mi4c)

>Australia
>TPG Mobile
Budget is nothing above $400, would like a decent size.

Mainly using it for normie shit like half screening web browser and youtube.

Attached: hobo finds a slice.jpg (540x540, 70K)

There are higher failure rates of chink-brand phones because they use lower binned parts, but not much higher than US/Korea branded phones.

wait for the pixel 3 to come out, pixel 2 prices will drop

>Australia
>Vodafone
>Decent camera for pictures and video
>Anything under $1500 because I'm not paying up front anyway
Honestly probably just going to use it as a phone primarily.
It'd be neat to be able to actually use modern apps though.

Attached: Pls respond.gif (480x270, 687K)

Lately every time I am thinking of purchasing a new device I ask myself would the new device do the things I usually do on the old one any better and I stop myself because the 3-5 apps I use 90% of the time work fine on my budget device so even if I upgrade I won't experience any difference but that is just my opinion

where to buy these Xiaomi phones in australia? lots of shady ebayers and Kogans always sold out. help me bros my phone sucks.

Attached: 1521006313528.jpg (662x393, 35K)

Order them from the site of the manufacturer

oh okay, where is that usually?

>because I'm not paying up front anyway
You're still paying for it...
You also shouldn't lock yourself into a contract unless it actually turns out cheaper.
I'd recommend getting an off-contract phone because then, you actually own the phone instead of renting it from your provider.
This allows you to change to a different plan from the same provider if your situation changes in the next year or two.
Moto G series, Xperia XA2 are very good, or you could get a chink phone.

You should have waited for the global version of this.
gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_5_pro-8893.php

>there's so much info everywhere and different about how to root it
No, there aren't. All Xiaomi phones follow the same procedures. It's no harder than posting on this site.

HK Goldway from aliexpress. No idea how they're doing the tax though.

This doesn't hold much water, especially keeping in mind the fact that Samsung of all companies has used low quality EMMCs in Galaxy Note 1, 2 and 4.
The dual camera variant of the Redmi Note 5 offers the best camera performance in this range. Besides, the best camera is the one you have with you.

Good recipe for being a useful idiot for any company.

I'm buying a Redmi 6 pro or a Mi A2 lite, because I need the smallest Xiaomi I can get.

Are they really the same phone with different bands and MIUI vs Android One?
Is there any other difference? I can't get good info.

>Samsung of all companies has used low quality EMMCs in Galaxy Note 1, 2 and 4
Yeah, and guess who is using even lower bins of parts?

gsmarena seems to think they are.

I was only saying it doesn't mean much, when Samsung has used low quality EMMC chips as well and those devices weren't cheap on launch.

Sellers on Ali say the bands are different, but gsmarena doesn't
Guess I'm waiting until the official "launch" on the 24th.

Is there a guide to debloating MIUI 9?

I think the same as any other Android distro.
adb and remove unnecesary apps/services

Galaxy S8 from dick Smith, or Oneplus 6 from gearbest, or Mi 8 from gearbest?

>dick Smith
I thought that was dead..

Austfailian checking in. I was about to buy a grey import lg g6 but it seems I can get a v30 for not much more. Im just worried about the shit reviews for the screen. Is the shitty lg amoled screen going to be worse than LCD on the g6? Is there any big drawback to a Hongkong model if you intend to use it in Australia? Should I get a chink phone instead?

It's just the kogan site with a boomer related logo in the top corner

>a chink phone instead
Yes

Me too, but apparently they have s8 for 650 aud. I think they just got bought out

Oh, so they're just an online store under a parent now...
You might as well just buy from the Kogan parent site. I wouldn't trust the warranty process going through a proxy company.

Is it worth to wait for the Nokia 6.1 Plus or just go for the Xiaomeme? Right now I'm phoneless, but that doesn't mean I can't wait for

bought my mother a Letv LeEco Le 2, good value good shit. shes old and just uses it for photos and calls/txt and her current phone is so bad she needed this.

Attached: 1323884217283.jpg (383x383, 37K)

for reference: aliexpress.com/item/Global-Version-Original-Letv-LeEco-Le-2-X526-3GB-RAM-32GB-Mobile-Phone-Snapdragon-652-Octa/32877243006.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.65124c4dbQnMyX

I'm thinking of getting this thing. It's to replace my 2013 Moto G which is dying. Apart from being a phone I really just need something with a micro SD card slot so I can put 60GB of music on it to listen to on public transport. I'm scratching my head to think of why I would need more than a low/mid range phone and I can't think of anything. Any thoughts? I don't want to do the Chinese phone thing I don't think it's worth the hassle for what my needs.

Attached: Screenshot_1.png (983x502, 157K)

kek

Chink Phone
retailer garbage

Attached: 1323043142661.png (698x658, 66K)

Get a Motorola Moto C instead.

Trash. What's your budget and country/carrier?

>this threads
oh, real og

Is the original pixel (smaller one) good in 2018? I m playing to buy it for my younger bro who mostly uses it for snapchat, instagram, spotify etc.

Thanks also how long will it be supported for?

$100-400 but cheaper is better, Australia

Hmmmm

Okthen.jpg

Attached: Screenshot_3.png (531x927, 43K)

Keep in mind that Nokias have locked bootloaders.

>I don't want to do the Chinese phone thing I don't think it's worth the hassle for what my needs
What hassle? If it doesn't support your carrier's network bands, there's nothing you can do. Unlocking the bootloader and flashing a custom ROM is no harder than posting on this site. The phone you've linked isn't even close to price/performance ratios Chinese manufacturers offer.

Which one?
>5.5 screen min
>SD slot
>decent camera
>decent battery
>headphone jack

>Thanks also how long will it be supported for?
You don't have to worry about that, but your brother would have to worry about a 2770 mAh battery and especially for the apps you've listed.

Yeah, I'll keep that in mind, anything else in your opinion that I'm missing about that phone?

Bought the Oneplus 6 Red as my first phone not through my carrier. Should be coming in today.

Attached: OnePlus-6-Red-copy.jpg (1000x563, 51K)

I feel dirty for buying this but I really fucking hate the edge screen meme on the latest Samsung phones.

I'm going to miss my S5, that device is a true champ.

Attached: 20180721_165959.jpg (5312x2988, 1.11M)

Is the Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 any good? I'd like something with a decent battery life, and I found one in the local classifieds for around €100

Recieved a Redmi Note 5 6GB a week ago, absolutely incredible phone. Yesterday I recieved another one. Definitely didn't pay for two. What do? Thanks, China.

Is there any point in asking for advice in this thread if you don't want chinkshit?