/wdg/ - Web Development General

Previous:

>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction (independent of your browser choice)
freecodecamp.com
codecademy.com
hackr.io

>Further resources
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap - Frontend+Backend learner-path suggestions
youtube.com/watch?v=Zftx68K-1D4&feature=youtu.be

jsfiddle.net - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your HTML/CSS/JS

[Embed]

Attached: 1532108428511.jpg (1080x315, 67K)

Other urls found in this thread:

thegroupup.com/#/
github.com/hexojs/hexo
youtube.com/watch?v=eB9Fq9I5ocs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

first for [embed][embed]

Is Angular.js still acceptable to use for building websites, something like Angular Seed?

Or should I just scrape it and only use the newest Angular?

I kind of like the whole Jquery based AJAX system Seed has where the user doesn't need to refresh the page.

Are there any disadvantages of using wordpress instead of coding it all yourself? Is it considered cheating in a sense

Can I see some of your websites/projects you are working on /wdg/?

Yes, you get cucked by Wordpress taking away features from you, have to use PHP which is shit, have to pay way more for their (((business))) package just to get access to the php files to edit stuff, and shit constantly breaks.

What is it you're trying to do exactly?

Just make a website for fun, I have to manage a wordpress site as part of my job but want to learn more beyond that or perhaps take it up as a hobby

Here's something I was doing about a few months ago and haven't touched since. It was going to be a website/app crossover in Angular Seed that allowed you to put events into a database and it showed up on google maps. I was going to start making it so people could see events near them by distance based on category and search.

Ultimately Angular Seed crashed my Google Maps API because of it's Ajax system loading the key multiple times (since I had to have maps on the add event page) and broke shit so I dropped it to learn a newer Angular. This was a very shitty prototype, the newer version has way more to it. I'm trying to learn app deving next so I can release it all at once. Obviously I'm going to keep the real app and site secret for now.

thegroupup.com/#/

I suggest Hexo. It's node based, you can actually have full access to your code, it's faster, open source, and free. Plus you only need one language if you use Node, JS.

github.com/hexojs/hexo

Whats the best stack for creating REST API to be consumed mostly by mobile clients?

Thanks I will do some research into it

If you want JSON API, I personally use MEAN.

youtube.com/watch?v=eB9Fq9I5ocs

I'd rather not use nosql though as it's kinda tricky to model relationships.

You god damn lazy cunt

what are you working on, /wdg/?

Attached: 1347793548425.jpg (590x439, 49K)

Anyone have any feedback on Angular Material?

How does it compare to CSS frameworks like Bootstrap? Or tools like Jquery UI?

angular is shit desu senpai

impressed inkscape
never did any design but in 5 minutes I was able to make a generically decent logo lmao

non meme code editor for html5/css3/javascript/jQuery/PHP/MySQL ?

>generically decent logo lmao
the logo is shit

notepad++, sublime text 3

for you

>notepad++
I already use that, thanks

Vim

>non meme
you spend more time learn keyboard shortcuts plus the learning curve, instead of doing actual work

Yeah but when you learn it well, then nothing can stop you. You do everything much faster. It's worth the time.

Stolen from last thread.
Post /wdg/ memes, my dudes

Attached: arrowfunctions-1.png (674x688, 565K)

frameworks are bloat

There are advantages and disadvantages to everything. Wordpress is an excellent choice for you. There is a huge amount of documentation and support available which is very useful while you are learning things around this area. There is all sorts of code and tips available for you to leverage. If you remain in the field you may want to move on to some more industrial or elegant or whatever down the road.

>a screenshot of a discord message

just placebo to rationalize having wasted time learning an outdated workflow, vim and friends were deprecated the second mice became available for the average consumer. if you want to keep using them for the geek points go ahead but please don't make other people waste time

Can't figure out how bubble sort makes sense m8s

var bubbleSort = nums => {
do {
var swapped = false;
for (var i = 0; i < nums.length; i++) {
if (nums[i] > nums[i+1]) {
var temp = nums[i];
nums[i] = nums[i+1];
nums[i+1] = temp;
swapped = true;
}
}
} while(swapped);
};

It loops over and shuffles things but I don't get how it goes over the loop more than nums.length times?

Like if nums is [8,3,2] it then goes [3,8,2] then [3,2,8] but how does it then go around another time? Because at that point 8 is not greater than undefined so it never hits the if statement and it never sets swapped to true, so it shouldn't continue?

I'm so confused wtf

swapped
is already assigned true after [3,2,8] so flow of execution goes back to execute the `do` block again.

>have to pay way more for their (((business))) package just to get access to the php files to edit stuff
What the fuck am I reading
You realise WordPress is free, right? I don't mean the .com shit, the .org variant

Any of you cunts got any experience with the windows linux subsystem and using it as a webdev environment?

I'm on Linux but I'm building [spoiler]buying[/spoiler] a new system and it comes with windows so I'm going to try it. Plus I'm a numale basedboy webdev I can't just use linux because I won't be able to play games, and my friends want me to play games.

Attached: windows_linux_subsystem.jpg (536x600, 67K)

there's a do-while loop there which makes the algorithm quadratic.

Yes.
What are you curious about?

>and using it as a webdev environment
no

But I do know that WSL doesn't fully support some key networking coreutils which prevents you from being able to use your computer as an OpenVPN server.

how does it compare to other solutions like running a linux VM, or just native linux?

I tried a vagrant VM when learning node, and had to employ some workarounds to make things like NPM work properly

I won't be using it for that but thanks

It's pretty comparable to a VM, but less of a hog to spin up and get going which is really nice. You'll have to employ some workarounds compared to a native system, depending on what you do, but no real production-stopping problems I've encountered so far. Getting used to the workflow takes a hot minute though.
Although one thing is for sure, I do not recommend using the default term they ship with and instead use Cmder (or if you use VSC, changing the integrated term settings to point to wsl). Both will render fonts and colors much better. Oh and of course, use chocolatey to install any windows programs/tools you need to make it so much easier to maintain the windows-side.

to a beginner that's learning and want to master the basics/fundamentals of js/html/css should I use bootstrap or foundation? I'm more interested in foundation even though (I believe) bootstrap is more used popular and used, I also heard about bulma. which one should I learn, anons?

>more used popular and used
more popular and used

Bootstrap is a UI toolkit designed to help people "just get started". It's the right tool to use when you know what you're doing and what shortcuts you're taking, and what you lose in exchange for taking those shortcuts.
Bootstrap is built for maximum compatibility and is itself a fairly old project, so it doesn't take into account newer standards, such as the combination of Flexbox and CSS grids, which are thought of as the future of page layout design.

You won't master the fundamentals of js/html/css by using a framework.

You might learn how to do things if you really understand what's happening when you add the classes to the elements.
But as soon as you want to do something custom you'll have no idea what to do

>bootstrap doesn't take into account standards such as combination of Flexbox and CSS grids
which means I'm better learning/using foundation, I suppose?

you're right; that came out horribly wrong, sorry. I meant to someone that's aiming to master js/html/css which would be the best framework to learn; I thought it was worth mentioning I want to master the basics of front-end. I was about to learn bootstrap but searching on RBT Jow Forums archive I saw many anons recommending not to use it. what's your opinion? I really appreciate your correction, thanks

How hard is it to get into WebDev after C++?
There's so fucking much and I struggle to choose. Salaries are much higher for WebDev here.

Depends how smart you are and how experienced you are with programming

am i suppoed to use firestore now? i haven't written anything in a couple months, last i checked firebase was the thing that you're supposed to use.

hey anons

how would I go about detecting certain HTML structures

>have to use PHP which is shit
t. js drone

Sounds very odd for salaries being much higher there.
If you already have a great handle on html/css/js, you could dive into bulma (css framework) and publish a site using it. These frameworks aren't complicated at all, they're used to streamline the design portion and create a unified system for teams to use. Once you learn how one works, you pretty much learn how they all work - some names change, but ultimately they all do the same thing.
They aren't necessary for every project, and that's important to understand.

explain more

desu i know what i'm doing. I'm trying to detect dark UI practices. I'm just going to have it modular and have an extension with a content script that scrapes html blah blah blah

man school is such a drag

This retard means hosting. If wordprss hosts your website

I used both.

php is shit. Mom said get off the internet grandpa, she needs to make a call.

Finland is a utopia. Apologize.

Incorrect, Finland only appears as a utopia because nobody can understand their complaints.

which domain should I register?
onions.democrat
democrats.onions

Attached: unknown-7.png (1910x995, 184K)

both, trust me

don't see what's wrong.

The site is broken. The painfully simple code should pass (and does pass, on the Chrome console), but the sites test parameters somehow fail the result

read what it says. you're supposed to return true. your code evaluates to true.

It does return true, you mong.
Literally on at the example on the left

>even the most basic operations are broken for seemingly no reason
Glad to see they're preparing you for a real job in javascript

Just use unique keys and structure your reads to use them as foreign keys

Works on my machineā„¢ cuntĀ®

Attached: huh.png (725x650, 38K)

>hmm is it my code that's the problem?
>NO it must be the site that's completely broken!
epic, truly

Freecodecamp is notorious for actually being broken, tho.

Sure thing sweaty.

I don't understand anything about front-end framework.
Do they exist only to make your code more manageable in big projects, or do they actually make your page render faster?

I want to have one in my portifolio since I'm shit at front-end. Currently orbiting toward React because of its huge adoption, also because it has aplications in mobile development, and apparently the stateless/stateful components are similar to Flutter, which I have some experience, but then, if I'm already using Flutter there's no point in learning React for React Native.
Also cogitating Vue, since people with experience in all the 3 big frameworks seems to generally preffer it.
Any suggestions?

Having

results in pic related. How are you supposed to access that "#document" thing in the DOM? What's the name for that kind of element, even? I've tried everything I can think of, and nothing* works. It doesn't even show up in document.getElementsByTagName("*"). Tested it on both firefox and chrome and the behaviour appears to be consistent.

*I got it to work on firefox abusing a bug, but that doesn't count. I want a proper solution.

Attached: browsers_are_a_joke.png (395x248, 8K)

Anyone know how many websockets a php server can handle?

I'm looking at using socketo.me

I need about 10k open at once. I'm syncing a timer across thousands of clients and giving rewards every few minutes, so it has to be synced.

actually if anyone knows php websockets and they use jquery then I'll cut you in on this. We can finish it before the weekend.

>php
>2018

hahahaha get the fuck out of here

I use it for back-end only and it's amazing.

>I use it for back-end only
As opposite of front-end PHP?

>doesn't know about front-end PHP

How do I start getting async JS, it seem impossible without learning a front end framework or jquery

lol, do you not know what php is designed for?

Yes, as opposed to rendering html with php.

>Come up with great idea
>1 competitor
>does exact what we were doing and launched 6 months ago

well shit

We're still doing it though. I think we can do better.

It's so crazy how similar they are to us. Their admin panel looks just like ours and they have front-end editing too which we thought would be unique. Crazy.

visual studio code is always the answer

I html5/css/javascript/jQuery/PHP/MySQL, Sublime is great and so is PHPStorm. I would recommend PHPStorm if you are using Jira or another supported agile system for ticketing. It implements so well that it's worth the price.

Otherwise I would recommend Sublime with these settings
{
"color_scheme": "Packages/Color Scheme - Default/Monokai.tmTheme",
"theme": "Adaptive.sublime-theme"
}

VScode is also pretty cool, but it is slow for me for some reason. It's great for dart/flutter though. Brackets was pretty awesome but the load time was insane. Slowest editor ever.

I ended up paying for Sublime because I enjoy it so much. It does anything I want it to do and my license works at work and at home. Some guys at work use Atom but I hate it.

Basically if you're doing ticketing with Jira then use PHPStorm because it makes it EZPZ, otherwise use Sublime because it's just good.

This post is so dumb, i dunno if you're baiting or not.

Ah. Can you show me the front end PHP code then on your favorite website that your browser reads? How about Jow Forums?

stop being a retarded nigger. You know that php can render front-end shit like javascript.

Obviously it needs a server, but that doesn't change the fact that it is rendering front-end technologies.

need to create a demo website to put into my resume, but my life is boring and I have no idea what to put into the website
do I just make some cool effects and label them all as generic titles and demo and insert text here?

I don't understand why the first result is 1030 and the second is 3030 and not 102030. Is this because in the first example a string goes first and in the second the first numbers?

Attached: Screenshot_43.jpg (941x658, 68K)

Just use lorem ipsum for everything and only fill in the titles

dev or design?

I find that dev is easier to get jobs for. I built a site that did some seriously crazy shit and I explained what it did in the interviews and it always landed me the job.

With design you just have to make something look pretty.

It depends on what is first in the expression. That cases the rest of the types.

Because when you concat a string onto something it converts the whole thing into a string. JS has to return one value so it can't possibly return a number of 30 and a string of 30 in the same return statement, so it just converts to a string and returns that, because you can't add a string into a number, but you can add a number (turned into a string) to a string.

If you do 10 + 'hello' + 10; you get a string saying '10hello10'

If you take away the variables it would make a lot more sense.

10 + 20 + "30" turns it from a number into a string, and that string is '30' and then the string 30

What you get when you do this is 10 + 20 (javascript doesn't convert to a string yet) then it sees the string of "30" and converts everything to a string, returning "30" + "30" which is 3030

Attached: pepodance.gif (1027x731, 111K)

so if I do 20 + 3 + "hello" + 34 + 5; I will get 23hello345 right?

and if I do " hello" + 34 + 5; I will get hello345 ?

Thank you

Yep, all you really need to remember is that if you add a number to a string the outcome won't be a number anymore and it will be converted to a string.

If you try it in the console you'll see that any time you use a string and a number at any point it will always convert to a string, doesn't matter what's at the start or the end.

Is wrong because that makes no sense, how can you possibly return a number that is 30Hi, it's not a number. At very best you can do

Number(30 + 'hi') // NaN

Which just returns NaN and that would be pointless.

Nigga it's still back end. Are you fucking stupid?

In the first example the two numbers are declared as integers and then inserted INTO the z variable which is a string, so the browser converts and displays the two integers as strings.
In the second example it comes out differently because all three of the variables are declared separately, which means that when they're each called in the "results" variable they're seen and handled as they were originally intended which is as two integers and one string. In other words the browser reads it as (10+20)"30" instead of "10" "20" "30"

help

Attached: 1532212383605.png (1702x2471, 1.01M)

I see. Thanks

I think I understand. Thank you.