youtube.com/watch?v=ig3xI8dUdm0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Nah, it's just a meme goy

they are meme tier, but there is some redeeming qualities about them

for example, you can stomp on them and yet they will still work

try that on a toshiba laptop and it dies in mere seconds

So I shouldn't get one?

of course, if you buy an used one

it is not sensible to buy them new, you will get a lot more out from other companies laptops for same price if bought as new

Yes they are great but poor value of bought new.

I think you should, the thing is a huge amount of companies buy them new and sell them used for a small fraction of the price a couple of years later. So there is massive supply for used thinkpads and since they're eternal machines the age is no big deal, resulting in a cheap pretty decent machine that's also very easily user maintained.

What's the oldest viable thinkpad? Something like the IBM X41 still useable today to shitpost?

What would be the point? Novelty?

Dells are better and have been for the last 12 years or so.

Searched around and there's nothing like the old X40 or X60; something that's cheap, compact, has a proper keyboard, and isn't a fragile piece of shit

x220/230

>Took my T420 to get repaired
>Tech guy starts sperging out over how good Thinkpads used to be

The widescreen means it's too big for my needs, and it's too expensive for something I'd just use to read and write plain text/epub/pdf.

The screen will be terrible and scrolling through pdfs and writing with anything other than notepad will be slow. And don't ever even think about getting on Jow Forums.

Depending on the OS you could probably get away with a Pentium 3 or something.

some of those old x30/40/60 laptops had a terrible flaw ( I dont remember which one ) and it was 1.8" hard drive slot

where the fuck you find 1.8" drives?

The good ones are the exepensive.

You don't. You use a compact flash card instead. And it was the X40/X41(T)

Yes, that's the joke.
Not because they're 'thinkpads' but because the ones available used are business-class laptops that are being sold after a business upgrades their employee's laptops. You get well constructed, well spec'd laptops for a fraction of the original price.

The T60 and T400 are good, anything after that is chink shit. Just get a Mac if you want something new.

The best model is the x230

I hope you're trolling. If you want something with shit build quality you may as well get something with new modern specs.

I want something that isn't a pain to haul around, actually has a nice screen and is powerful enough to run modern programs

T60 has memory installation slots breakdown failure after years of use

Otherwise it would be excellent to use even 50 years from now

And the W530

>T60 has memory installation slots breakdown failure
Links to this incident?

So what's wrong with the T60?

x230 is great but its build quality is not, its plastics are regular plastics and it will get broken quickly

cons
>heavy
>thick as fuck
>shitty TN screens with low resolutions (IPS mods are expensive and buggy)
>old power hungry CPUs, old GPUs, they can choke on most trivial shit like web browsing
>no usb 3.0, no 802.11ac, no hdmi, ancient disk interfaces
>three hours on battery
>terrible touchpads
>actually quite expensive if you don't want to spend three months looking for a cheap decent looking one

pros
>durable
>keyboards are alright

How about the fucking core 2 duo CPU?

It also has a shit keyboard and no ultrabay.
Name something that's actually wrong with it, chiclet boy.

sorry I remmebered it wrong, it was T30, not T60

omskakas.se/2007/07/thinkpad-t30-memory-slot-failure.html

That is absolute bullshit. The only thing better about Dell is their warranty.

Can only run one electron app at a time. For optimal onions consumption, 4-5 browser-based javascript engines need to be running to power all my metrosexual gaming apps

It's performance is substandard for today's programs. I mean even the Sandy Bridge Thinkpads are cutting it close

You should be banned for being so vague.

You don't buy a business laptop for the trackpad.

REAL Thinkpads are, yes.
Not Muh Thinnnnnn Ultracrap X1 though.

What the fuck do you want me to say? You want me to pull up a comparison of different bench marks for the CPU of a T60 vs something like an X230? It would take you 5 seconds to do yourself

When you say it can't run modern programs you should specify what you are referring to, you fucking idiot. Very few tasks require that much CPU power. Go back to /b/.

Are you kidding? Any basic video editing software will require something more than a core 2 duo

No, openshot and kdenlive are both fine. Try again.

no it doesnt if you are working with old video formats ;)

but x264, webums, etc. of course do require fast computers

Openshot and Kdenlive? I'm talking about Adobe Premiere Pro CC, Elements, Corel, even other shit like Blender too

My T430 is solid and powerful enough for all of my work. But now I have to wear glasses cause the TN screen is killing my eyes

Only retards use Adobe proprietary botnets, so that is not an argument. Blender is fine, you can run Blender on a PPC G4. Don't be fucking stupid.

>Very few tasks require that much CPU power.
Even browsing the cancer that is the modern web is a pain on c2d.

I don't get to decide what software gets used, my boss does. And I want to be able to use it well

Honestly they are a meme. I used different kinds of Thinkpads during my work and while they aren't bad, there are laptops out there that are cheaper, more powerful and more appealing than a Thinkpad, while doing the same things better.

Attached: 250px-Common_starling_in_london.jpg (250x304, 19K)

Wow, that's pathetic. Imagine giving up your freedom for a pay cheque. I can't imaging being such a eunuch. You clearly just want to get your pay, since you let your boss fuck you in the arse. You'd use a T60 if he told you to.

Kill yourself you delusional freetard.

My boss values productivity, so he'd never suggest that piece of shit. I mean at least go after the T61

Okay, eunuch.
Your boss just likes telling you what to do. He's glad he found a willing slave.

>Imagine giving up your freedom for a pay cheque.
Hello NEET.

>I-I'm a proud cuck

>freetards are this dumb
Pic related is you.

Attached: 1530580406107.jpg (828x594, 60K)

Looks like your boss.

I've upgraded my t420s with a 1080p screen, 16gb ram and a 500gb ssd. It's a great multimedia machine that will serve me till the cpu somehow dies. As far as laptops go its as good as it gets.

You absolutely should. Don't listen to macfags.

Shame about the keyboard.

youtube.com/watch?v=ig3xI8dUdm0

My guess was right then. Enjoy your basement.

Enjoy being a slave, eunuch.

I'm genuinely convinced that all thinkfags are poorfags or mentally ill NEETs. You just can't be a normally functioning adult and delude yourself into thinking that these museum pieces are usable in 2018.

Enjoy your mental illness, schizo.

This. How can you get an epic kill streak on this shit? It doesn't even have a backlit keyboard baka

>isn't a fragile piece of shit
what kind of drooling baboon are you that you go around banging your laptop so retardedly

With old thickbads I can use one as food trays/writing pads if need be.

>u r a gaymer
what an insult
truly an epic win my fellow redditor

Why the hell would you use your laptop as a food tray?? Holy fucking shit you neckbeards are something else, just get out of that chair and go eat at the table like a normal human being. I cringe when I think how your cave must look.

Attached: nice_meme_ive_taken_it.png (370x300, 99K)

Thinking about you macfags needing to use throttlebooks inside dust-free sterile rooms is even more cringeworthy

I'm using T460s and it's solid as fuck.

those get too hot. if u need a comfy machine for shitposting and coding (not compiling) get a X200 - they won't fry ur nuts. Otherwise get a T430.

T440p with touchpad mod is acceptable as well and will stay real cold.

does x230 really get hot?

Everywhere on the internet?

35Watt TDP versus 25 on X240 and X200. I had a X230 for two weeks before passing it on.
I use a T430 since and will stack on this machines. They get warm too, but the thermal design is better and they dont throttle down early.
I don't realy like anything beyond *30. If you look for a low voltage cheap alternative to X230/40 check HP Elitebook G820 G1 for 12" and 840 for 14". Great machines.
They are being replaced now with many companies.

after the xx30 gen they went from "amazing" to "ok". Not rally worth the effort at this point.

+ Extremely durable. Like, ridiculously so. You can use it underwater or in a volcano and maybe only suffer a dead spacebar.
+ Extremely powerful, depending on your configuration.
+ Pretty cheap, considering similarly specced competitors' products.
: Repairable to the point of almost being modular. This is a wash because not everyone cares about repairing their own devices.
- Bulky, ugly. Generally not comfy to carry around.
- God-awful trackpad.
- Most certainly not low-maintenance.
Generally only good if you don't mind spending most of the time spent on your laptop taking care of your laptop.

they're a meme

Attached: 2018-07-20-1532126667_1280x800.png (1280x800, 722K)

They're as good as their competition, the latitude 7000 series is probably better. The only better things are the trackpoint and trackpoint buttons

My t60 was 12" and the 1400*1050 panel is fine.

Carbons are still the best in class

>- Most certainly not low-maintenance.
In what sense? I have had a thinkpad for 4 years now and all I really had to do to maintain it is your standard dust cleaning.

F-91W + Thinkpad
Name a better duo.

Attached: IMG_20180721_180751.jpg (4027x1866, 1.04M)

I run my computer graphics business off one and it's almost 10 years old (the computer, not the business).
I would recommend, as long as you're planning to do basic maintainance

r u me rn

Attached: 1229927298299.jpg (625x800, 274K)

I'd buy a used one in a heartbeat if they were as cheap as in 'murica.

Haha 8/10 bait made me chuckle

picked up a t430 for like 250 used
if your budget is sub 300 there's no good alternative

yes, even for new laptops if only because the competition sucks. Try finding an alternative brand for durable laptop with a decent keyboard, also rackpoint. Specs aren't important for most people needing a laptop, and so the things that matter the most ends up being the build quality and the keyboard + screen. Thunderbolt 3 is growing too especially with the royalty dropped so TB3 lanes (for eGPUs) are more important than a lousy dGPU. I'd rather have an iGPU than a deadweight MX130 for example.

Lenovos are only priced fairly when they have a sale though, but they have 30%-40% off sales often enough that you can count on it.

Used ones are really good for their price. New ones are really expensive for their specifications. You can find better laptops for the same price.

In my opinion if you want to buy used, old Thinkpads are kinda unbeatable. If you want to buy new Dell has pretty good cheap options.

Obviously I'm assuming that you want a mediocre business™ laptop. If you want the best specs they're all over 1k anyway.

>Get a t440p 2nd hand for $160 with a cracked screen
>Get an IPS 1920x1080 IPS screen for $70
>Get i7 4700MQ for $50
>Get 1x8gb stick of ram for $30
>Pickup 500GB SSD on sale for $109
>TOTAL: $419 and has a faster processor than practically all modern non-gaming laptops.

Out of all the laptops our clients utilize (roughly 200 overall) Lenovo and Dell are the ones we have to open the most warranty cases for, mostly due to power, touchpad and display issues.

I have one and turned it into a gaming laptop that can run modern games so yes it is.

Attached: 20180620_224512.jpg (3984x2882, 2.57M)

Do you have that connected through Expresscard slot?

Yep.

How exactly do you do it? My x230 is coming soon and want to be able to connect my 1050

Not sure if x230 has express card slot but ok.

>Dell DA2 psu
>Egp expresscard
>6pin to 6pin cable

Not sure if 1050 needs the extra power but I'd get it to be on the safe side. If you have a psu already you can just use that instead of the Dell da2

Okay so what are they?