/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, mini dp, no
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: 1450020137461.jpg (3072x2098, 878K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/eCRM-7-95-5mm-Replacement-ThinkPad-ADLX90NLC3A/dp/B01N1OQWWD/
pcsupport.lenovo.com/si/en/downloads/migr-73611
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What's a good price for a T430 i73820QM (anything decent really, don't know much about CPUs)+ 16GB + 1600x900? Don't care about HDD, will buy an SSD myself and put in in there.

If you guys are buying a new laptop, would you still bother buying from Lenovo or would you just buy from someone else like Dell?

I've been watching Lenovo's site and reviews like a hawk the past 2 weeks but I completely forgot about Dell Latitudes 7000 series, it looks like they're having what is basically a 50% off sale (off their list "price") as well but I can't tell because I haven't been watching what their usual prices are really like.

Dell Latitude 7490 is looking far more nicer than the T480s outside of the keyboard and screen. Dell's FHD screen is superior, but doesn't go up to WQHD like T480s (which is not necessarily a bad thing for Dell, scaling and shit on a 14").

I just won a T410s on eBay. What am I in for?

same dude here.
Found a super cheapo (sub 100) t430 but battery "doesn't hold a charge". I can buy this + a brand new 9cell and slam that in there right?

Looks like Lenovo has a new batch of Thinkpad 25's for sale. I was under the impression that they were completely sold out, but I guess that's not the case.

yes

Nice. Thanks. I might be able to snag this all in total for less than $150.

Where can I find a site or repository of common mods?
Like, what ram sticks/processors and cards for which models?

>they use thinkpads in space
Is this the absolute proof of quality?
I love my pigheavy T430.

What price should I expect for a regular Lenovo battery for a T430?
I find them at about £75. Also the 9 cell one seems too big for me..
Will the regular one last for 4 hours?

Attached: 1532166857699.jpg (1008x670, 61K)

Maybe NASA's budget was just really low and they got some used ones from ebay.

>NASA uses dift cheap refurbished PCs on the station

I didn't think about this like this..

Attached: 1425163443195.jpg (680x750, 49K)

What is objectively the best value used laptop on Ebay right now?

2015 Retina Macbook Pro

>objective
>value

>T440p
>Added T450 trackpad
>Added 500GB SSD
>Added i7 4700MQ
Just need to add a 1920x1080 screen, 9 cell battery and find a high capacity 2242 M.2 SSD.

>high capacity 2242 M.2 SSD.
Toshiba RC100. 480GB is the highest but you won't find any higher. It is literally the only 2242 m.2 NVME ssd on the market.
Good luck getting it to work though. I tried one in my T440s and it just gives me an error when POSTing so I threw it in a desktop.

Thinkpad 25 is really a fucking pity, i might almost be tempted to pay such a retarded premium for one if it had Intel's 8th gen. The jump from 7th gen is too big that last gen's laptops would have to be very heavily discounted to be worth it.

I'd just grab a Dell or a Mac but not the brand new MacBooks.

I just want to say that I fell for the ThinkPad meme and picked up a lightly used T450s.

>it's literally the best laptop I've ever owned.
>I paid less for it than my previous laptop.

Now how about removing scuffs and scratches from the lid?

Attached: r_159178_cyTMH.jpg (761x999, 78K)

Is an x220 for 100$usd too much or a fair price

Should I get a t420?

>Spent years believing Jow Forums's assertions about the xx30 keyboards, and by extension, the assertions of the entire "Thinkpad Community" on the internet
>Starting grad school in September, T400 is getting a bit long in tooth
>At friend's house complaining about how much the new Thinkpads suck
>Friend's dad: "oh you like old Thinkpads? I can give you one of those for free, our office has a bunch of them lying around"
>Think "old" means xx10 or xx20, agree to take one
>He brings me a T530, which at 6 years is now considered "old"
>Tempted to immediately reject it but don't because too polite, plan to just quietly sell it later
>Begin using it for a bit
>Hey this keyboard actually isn't bad
>One week later
>This keyboard has fucking fantastic typing feel, better than the one on my T400
>mfw all these wasted years of not enjoying new Thinkpads because I listened to the keyboard purist retards

Now all I need to do is upgrade the 1600x900 display to 1080p somehow

Attached: time keeps on slipping.jpg (550x366, 60K)

It's good that you've woken up. Even (((rossman))) says that the new keyboards are better at everything except for the layout of some keys. You've to go back to X60 and before, which both have the classic layout and clickier keys.

About 800 USD

Attached: SmartSelect_20180721-035001_Chrome.jpg (1355x2059, 462K)

While searching for budget laptop i found ThinkPad E480 with i7-8550U and RX550 for 900$. It's very tempting to buy it but overheating and noise issues stop me.
What do you think? T series with simmilar specs would cost ~1500$

Are the higher end new ThinkPads like the L580 any good?

Attached: we-lenovo-laptop-thinkpad-l580-hero.png (725x515, 62K)

the t530's a fucking brick though. Loved it otherwise but I don't miss lugging it around campus. It was not practical for those lecture tables at all, always had to have it burning on my lap.

for grad school though I guess that wouldn't matter any more, at least you can just leave it in the office without worrying about anyone stealing it.

Dell 5000 series = T-series?

7000 series only comes with the ULV processors

So fed up with the old Toshiba satellite machine I have and definitely looking at upgrading. Portability isn't too much of an issue so caught between the t4** and t5** series at the moment. Would the 30 series be a huge improvement over the 20 models or should I stuck with the 20?

Thoughts on the T480?
I was given a budget for my postgrad program so I need to buy a new laptop.
My xps15 from 2011 is still running smoothly but I can't say no to a new laptop.

Yeah, it's basically a meme. The newer thinkpad keyboards aren't the same as other chicklet keyboards. They have decent travel and a fair bit of concavity to them.

That said, I do think the older keyboards are more aesthetic.

I have a new Lenovo and an old t40 and to call the keyboards on them comparable is insane

The T40 still being used?

Yup
Use it to take notes and sometimes as a support beam

What's the resolution on the T40? Is it legible under sunlight?

need a cheepo x201
can only find one for £100
D:

whats libreboot/coreboot?
when can i bee sure that intel is not spying on me on a firmware level?

Attached: 1516910777153.png (768x1022, 1.58M)

It's got some really nice matte finish on the screen that makes it really nice to use even outside
Quite frankly I have no idea what resolution it has, but it's nice and pixelated
The top is a little bit rotten from having been exposed to all sorts of nasty gear and motor oil and the top left hinge is a wee bit crooked now after I forgot it under a lift

Attached: IMG_20180721_180445.jpg (3456x3471, 1.08M)

Usually 1024x768, but 1400x1050 was an option. Some of the later 15" T4x series had 1600x1200 IPS screens.

Intel doesn't care enough to spy on you

I can't buy anything that's not Jewnovo now, the trackpoint is waay better to use than fucking touchpads.

If i remember correctly the elitebooks had two buttons so can't scroll like with thinkpads, no idea about the Dell trackpoints though.

Kingspec 2242 is 1TB and works fine.

It's SATA though.

yes so?

The 'yeah so' being that NVME is 3 times faster. 1500MB/s read/write, not 500.
Although NVME drives don't work, at least in my t440s, so there's that.

Gonna buy a x230 with a 320 Go HDD for 155€. I can't seem to find anything cheaper here in France. Am I doing good?

Attached: 2675577435786.gif (500x357, 107K)

Again, yeah so?
The OP said T440p which supports M.2 SATA SSDs, i replied with a compatible M.2 SATA SSD and then for some reason you replied "it's sata though", no shit sherlock.

My T500 powerbrick heats up really hot and produces a high pitched whine whenever it's chargin me lappy, would this be a good replacement: amazon.com/eCRM-7-95-5mm-Replacement-ThinkPad-ADLX90NLC3A/dp/B01N1OQWWD/

Get the genuine one

What thinkpad has the best screen?

X1C6 with hdr display is probably as good as it gets.

Yeah the layout is a step in the wrong direction, and the subsequent keyboards that eliminated the dedicated function keys are also a usability setback. But the keys that most people use 98% of the time are just as good if not better. And to think I was actually going to pay good money for a T420.

I wasn't actually planning to take it to school or anything, I have an Asus EeeBook X205 that I carry around school (light and tiny but fucking slow as all hell), the T400 is my main computer at home (and is about three times as fast as the Asus). I used to have a desktop but I slowly lost interest in games over the course of second and third year, so I sold it while it was still worth something. The T500 is going to be living out its life almost entirely in the confines of my apartment, might just take it home when I go visit my parents.

Yeah the old keyboards do look better, but I would agree that in terms of tactile feel, the ones on the xx30 series are every bit as good. They're well designed and meant to be used for long periods of time, unlike the shit you see on those new Macbook abominations (which feel like typing on an iPad).

Chiclet keyboards are fine but
>removing the dedicated media buttons
That's fucking inexcusable, i had to remap F9 F10 and F11 to be the media buttons because of that shit.

I think we universally agree that thinkpad chiclets are not the problem, the layout is the real deal breaker.

the first nupad chiclet keyboard I tried was on the X120e and actually it's amazing for a chiclet. even on what is barely even considered a thinkpad.

I almost think I prefer the chiclet ones to the xx20 series

the keyboards on xx00 and before are still king tho, my X61 and T400 are god tier

Bump for battery info.

I bought my first ThinkPad two days ago. It's an X220.

It's amazing and probably the best laptop I've ever had.

However, there is only one minor problem:

The "e" key on the keyboard is being a hypersensitive bitch. If I blow on it, it registers as a press. If I simply rest my finger on it with zero pressure it give me a row which looks like this: eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

How to fix? 10x in advance.

what are the non-thinkpad alternatives for the w series

how hard is to replace backcover on thinkpad x230? i look inside it, there is a bunch of alumunium tape to remove and scrap it off, so second question is do i just replace it with cheap aluminum tape or i need the special one?

Attached: IMG_20180709_172215.jpg (1080x1440, 1.04M)

I recently had that problem on a Dell laptop. I removed the keyboard and shot some electrical contact cleaner under the key and pressed a couple of dozen times. Worked as it should after that.

For the base model? that's pricey.

Has anyone had issues doing the keyboard swap? My t430 will power on, and then back off before fully posting. Works just fine when I swap the original back in.

I'm moving for college, and considering buying a laptop for a desktop replacement that's sort of portable. Any advice?
I'm looking at around 700-1300 (though a bit more is fine). At most I just want to be able to play FFXIV, and be able to use the Unreal Engine no problem.

Attached: 1527832121771.jpg (524x700, 50K)

Yeah I'm still holding on to my T500 for two reasons: the keyboard, and the fact that it is the last 15.4" Windows laptop with a 16:10 display. I really cannot stand 16:9 screens, they feel far too restrictive and they're totally idiotic. Why would I go from 1920x1200 to the exact same horizontal resolution with 120 fewer vertical pixels? It's a fucking scam.

On that note, as much as I hate the Surface line, good on Microsoft for pushing 3:2

Dell Precision

>Have X230 with Debian (i7, IPS, SSD, 16 GB RAM).
>Use it as a desktop with mech keyboard (Vortex Pok3r w/ Cherry Mx Gray switches) and a 27" display for my work (scientific computing)
>Will be moving soon and won't be able to bring all the desktop gear with me for a while
>12.5" display on its own is too small for my work
Currently wondering about buying a T430, installing the oldie keyboard and finessing a WQHD IPS display.
FHD IPS mod has a flicker issue, does anyone know if this has been fixed in the WQHD mod?
Any problems installing the old keyboard (apart from the obvious BIOS flash, taping contacts and dremeling).
I saw that Chinese ebay sellers have a lot of new parts for T430 shell. Is it worth it buying them to replace the worn out plastics?
What is the best place to score a cheap T430 and its go-to cost in eurobucks?

Attached: matlab.gif (500x374, 1.88M)

My old T60 broke and now I am going to get an x220. I am thinking about getting a non original 9 cell battery. Are they any good? (It's more for the look than actual worktime.) Will they hold charge?

or even better Reddit
However.
New ThinkPads are shit and expensive. If you want to have a desktop replacement then go for a t420 and replace the dual core with a quadcore. Also install a proper OS.

Anyone still got a T4x series Thinkpad like the user above? I picked up a nearly mint-condition T40, but all Linux distros I have tried so far would make it freeze up for no reason. This does not happen with Windows XP though.

It's not temperature, and BIOS/EC are fully updated. I don't think the Radeon 7500 is dying on me either. What do?

New thinkpads aren't bad my dude, you just don't like them it seems, they do pretty nicely, and a "proper OS" is ANY OS , OSX, Windows, Linux , just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's proper, and a T420 can't ever be a desktop replacement your insane

>T420
>a desktop replacement
The absolute state of x20 fags.

tell me what drivers I need to get the T430 wifi working on Win7 64bit. already smashed its keyboard I can't trial and error anymore

???pcsupport.lenovo.com/si/en/downloads/migr-73611

Has anyone tried Intel me cleaner on a t430? And, anyone in Europe know what a fair price for a t420/430 is?

Struggling to find one with a quad core for

Got an x220 in the mail today.
This one has 2 hinges instead of the middle hinge and can't go into tablet mode.
Do they sell 2 different types of x220s?

>Struggling to find one with a quad core
you complete urod there are no quad core t430, you can upgrade the stock dual core to quad core on them though

That's the x220t or tablet
U don goofed

FHD Aliexpress mod owner here. No flicker on mine or my classmate's at all. Don't be afraid to buy it.
Old keyboard installation is also not a problem, just install it under the wristrest assembly.
Replacing the plastics is really not necessary as they really don't have an effect on the feel.

The best place to buy machines would be Craigslist, Ebay Local or Avito (if you lve in Russia), as you would be able to test the machine irl, wouldn't have to pay for shipping and also attempt to persuade the seller to lower the price.
Good luck with buying and rebuilding your new laptop!

Lurk more and you might be able to get one for free.

Would you guys reccomend me the T440p between all the socketed models?
I am just looking for a reliable laptop, nothing too fancy but also not totally crap

Attached: 400x300_images_NOTEBOOK_Lenovo T440p.jpg (400x300, 12K)

You'd need to replace the clickpad with one that has trackpoint buttons if you want it to be usable, so if you are too lazy for that, you'd need to get something older.

my HDD makes a periodic clicking when I mount it

Attached: 1531677884323.gif (320x240, 834K)

might be dying. back up just in case

Is the replacement that hard to perform?
e.g. if I need to take out the backcover it is already hard for me

the back cover is two screws so yeah that mod is way beyond your skills

Literal fags. Why would you want especially a ThinkPad when you don't care about the keyboard, the almost perfect GNU/Linux support and durability? Only the old models satisfy those demands. If you want to play faggy gaymes get yourself a crappy gayming laptop. There you have it.
Also, Macos and windows are shit, you know it. Literally no reason to use it apart from editing video and gayming, tasks you wouldnt want a Thinkpad to take care of.

Works perfectly with dual monitors and is very fast.
>But muh games
Get a gayming laptop or a real desktop, why would you want to replace your fucking desktop with a ThinkPad If you want processing power?

what's the problem?

Attached: a.jpg (717x353, 108K)

It's not the back cover itself, if I remove that piece then eventually I would have to remove the mobo too in order to reach the clickpad
Can you confirm?

I recently bought an X240 for $180 and I love it. I have a 64GB M.2 SSD, 8GB of RAM I am going to install. I am going to upgrade the stock display with an upgraded FHD display once I have the money.

Attached: Screenshot_20180721_171052.png (1366x768, 975K)

Yes, i'm posting this from a modded T440p.
It's basically: battery > keyboard > back cover > palm rest > swap touchpad and re-assemble, easy stuff.

Why no tiling WM?

>2nd gen mobile quad core
>fast
Have you used anything made in like past 3 years?

best thinkpad to watch anime on?

I can get an X1C6, but for around same price I can get a Dell Latitude 5491 with an i7-8850H, MX130 dGPU, 256GB SSD, decent FHD screen (should be better than T480s's FHD screen at least), .etc for around US$1400. Granted, MX130 is a joke, more like a negative really.

Why is the X1C6 so expensive? I just want something durable with an i5-8250u and TB3 with 4 lanes, doesn't have to be excessively thin and light. The Latitude 5491 is becoming more and more tempting to me, minus the shitty MX130.

T420 with 1366x768

Ok I might look up for it then, thank you.
Aside for this, is the laptop linux friendly?
I know that historically ThinkPads are linux friendly but this model was created by Lenovo and not IBM so yeah

What will you use your machine for?

>not T500 with 1280x800

>not W500 with 3rd party 1200x800

Web browsing and light gaming, for example I own t480s and I'm playing wow at native 1440p res at 60 fps, I can bet a T420 can't do that.