Text editor wars

Why is VS Code so shit and why is it gaining so much popularity?

Attached: text editor wars.png (1147x599, 64K)

What dont you like about it?
Using it for webdev and its pretty neat bro

hype

Last time I've used it was two years ago but

>looks like shit
>UI clutter all over the place
>it couldn't render its default font properly, for example if you'd write "+" the vertical bar would overlap two lines of pixels
>made by microsoft

oh and VS Code has telemetry by default

It's because it is good
But someone will reply with some sort of coping mechanism "proving" I am a shill

>a fucking browser
>good

>microsoft "product"
>good

They're bundling it with other software right? Is it preinstalled with windows 10?

No I built it from source
If anything it came with the GNU virus because of the build process

I'm not asking about you did, I'm wondering why it's popular. It must come as bundle, exactly like how IE took off.

Its the a good text editor for webshit

>>microsoft "product"
>>good
>They're bundling it with other software right? Is it preinstalled with windows 10?
No, you asked if it was bundled or preinstalled.
I replied No
As in "NO, I specifically went and built it from source of my own free will and use it as my text editor"

Attached: 1527958050360.jpg (1024x576, 44K)

you are literally so autistic that you don't understand his question

it's prolly the name, poor devs recognize "visual studio" but they associate it with moneys. And then they find out VSC is free and they lose their shit.

intelliJ is better than all of those combined btw

>check intelliJ on wikipedia
>1 GiB of ram minimum

it's says it's an IDE not a text editor

probably something dumb and shallow like the default color scheme

That chart is bs, atom wasn't around in 2004

For me, it's the Vim Experience. The Ultimate Editor.

>why is it gaining so much popularity?
Oh I don't know user, maybe because:
>it doesn't bukakke your keyboard with keybindings and you don't need an entire college course and several months of practice to be somewhat proficient at it unlike Vim/*macs
>extensions for all popular languages with auto-complete suggestions
>open-source, unlike Sublime Text
>isn't sluggish and runs reasonably well for most people, unlike Atom
>uses less resources than a full IDE, yet provides the essential functionality of one
>simple and cohesive UI
The only bad thing is the built-in telemetry which can be disabled with a few extra lines in your hosts file. Not an elegant solution but it works.

Attached: vscode_disable_telemetry.png (1204x813, 122K)

>vs code, sublime, atom, and notepad++ are the only text editors

Attached: 1532186043438.png (403x347, 116K)

>1 GiB
so what you're saying is IntelliJ uses less memory than VS Code?

>webdev

What bothers me is that Sublime is so popular despite being a total fag tool.
>80 dollareedoos
Excellent editors already exists, so why the fuck do people give money for free?

>nobody searched for 'atom' before the text editor was announced

Attached: 1531947048580.png (805x677, 462K)

>it doesn't bukakke your keyboard with keybindings and you don't need an entire college course and several months of practice to be somewhat proficient at it unlike Vim/*macs
I guess that's a good argument if you only plan to use your text editor for a few weeks. But if you plan on using your editor for years, it's well worth it to have a complex but extremely efficient interface available for you to invest in.

but if your boss wants you to come up with the mvp asap you don't have time to invest in learning an editor

most of them are pretty shit compared to Sublime desu.

emacs is far superior to all the editors in the op pic

convert to GRORIOUS KAKOUNE or die

>it's well worth it to have a complex but extremely efficient interface available for you to invest in.
Except for that huge investment you get, what?
Doing things a few minutes faster?
Unless you're working as an accountant or something similar that involves editing a lot of lines in a repetitive way, all those efficiency boosts are meaningless.
Besides, why would you want to do things more efficiently at work? Do you think you'll go home early or do you think you're just going to get some other stuff to work on since you have nothing else to do?

>Do you think you'll go home early or do you think you're just going to get some other stuff to work on since you have nothing else to do?
Sometimes I go home early, other times I stay and get extra stuff done which means a bigger performance bonus at the end of the year.

it's because it has the "open directory as workspace" functionality but doesn't cost money like sublime text. the majority of text editors offer nothing (e.g. geany or kate) or they offer a terrible tree view at best (e.g. nerdtree), and all IDEs revolve around the pain in the ass concept of "workspaces" or "solutions" and "projects". if you're working with something that has a makefile or with webshit, you're not going to screw around with an IDE but you do want a good hierarchical view of the project you are working on.

it's also because getting extensions is easy and there are a lot of them.

i think that's about it.

from experience, acme is more productive than either of the big two. you just have to get rid of the aversion to using the mouse just like an editor newfag has to get rid of the aversion to strange keyboard shortcuts.

My primary editor is Emacs but I also used Atom as i found it easier to work with others when i used it. I recently moved to VS Code for a couple of reasons. Firstly, the built in debugger is handy, secondly most other people use it that I work with doing both front and back-end.

Some complaints I have are the UI clutter, telemetry set ot being on by default and the fact that it runs on electron.

can anything be done about the activity bar? these icons are GAY

t. sockpuppet

You know you could make your opinion more valid by actually trying out the software more recently. 2 years is a fucklong of time you dip.

>text editor wars
vs code is irrelevant, the war has only two sides: emacs and vi

Attached: iGNUicius.jpg (1395x1395, 144K)

they're shit

t. contrarian fag

vscode was alright
Until I was typing on 5k+ lines at once

Yeah, well it did work, there was one massive problem in that it actually was fucked up

I just crack sublime text now

It was faster than Atom -and- totally compatible with its extensions on launch.

That was my point, probably not well made

Fuck off retard contrarians who just hate on popular stuff because it's popular