Best Bang for Buck - SSD 2018

What are the SSD:s recommended for buying in current year?

Size range: 128GB - 512GB

Attached: samsungssd850pro-2.jpg (770x433, 18K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Crucial-MX500-250GB-NAND-Internal/dp/B0764WCXCV/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1532282635&sr=8-3&keywords=crucial ssd 275
heise.de/newsticker/meldung/SSD-Langzeittest-beendet-Exitus-bei-9-1-Petabyte-3755009.html
amazon.com/dp/B076XMH2JT/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Whatever you feel like you need/afford.

Surely there are differences in the longevity:
some brand will break down in 6 months, you lose all data, some dont

Latest Samsung evo drive that's 500gb

The biggest one you can afford. More cells let you write more data, and free space can be used by the controller to reallocate. It's a win/win (at least until you hit a point where chips get bigger and slower).

Whichever is MLC on sale when you need a ssd

Like 3 years ago I bought a crucial mx200 256gb for $90, shits cash. Other day I saw the mx300 512gb on sale for like $120 - dunno if those are any good.

>Whichever is MLC
Which is pretty much none besides the Samsung "Pro" drives. Rest is all TLC shit.

>some brand will break down in 6 months, you lose all data, some dont
I have a Vertex3 256gb since 2012, everyone everywhere said they were duds and it will shit itself. My friend killed a Samsung EVO 500gb in a year. Brands don't mean shit, it's silicon lottery either way, if it's not shit and you don't keep it 95%+ full all the time, it will outlive you.

Whatever you do, just make sure to have weekly backups of whatever you have on your drive.

buy it used

:^)

1 TB are going for ~$140 today.

Lies.

got a 128GB SSD since 2012 (when I first build my PC).
I upgraded my GPU, RAM, HDD and coolerpaste since then but it really feels like the SSD will hold for at least another 5 years. Even my HDD broke before it.
>inb4 it breaks tomorrow

Attached: 1492682853672.png (470x456, 489K)

more lies

I put the cheap PNY SSDs in everything I own. Haven't had any trouble yet.

For standard format, the new Crucial lineup is legit.
Anything cheaper means they don't have an SLC cache or are missing the RAM cache for the drive.
If you want NVMe the only current choice is the Samsung 970's.

crucial mx500

this, praise China

Samsung EVO 860

reminder

Attached: samsungssdsarestillrecommendedongee.jpg (440x656, 73K)

>we may collect (...) your IP address
Well duh, every logging web service does that. IP addresses do not identify people, they temporarily identify devices, whatever they may be.

>serial numbers and device IDs of the devices you use (...) with Samsung Magician, the number of drivers installed on your PC or device used to access Samsung Magician
Just guessing here, but this looks like it's for validating you own a legitimate Samsung product and checking for potential incompatibilities with Magician that could end up with a bricked SSD. Firmware updating tools have always been finicky, hence all the DOS and EFI shell-based shit still in use today.

>personal data
None of the above are personal data. Also, in that pic he's running it in fucking Windows 10. If he cared about privacy at all, Samsung fucking Magician would be the least of the problems.

came in to say this

480gb tcsunbow ssd for 69 us dollars.

Samsung Evo 860
Crucial MX500
They're your go-to choices.

Link?

Opinions on Micron? They sell 2TB ssds for only $300.

I don't know much about them, but apparently they're the OEM for Crucial, so they should be legit.

I bought a 2tb crucial mx500 for $419. I like it. It's SATA, so its probably not the fasted thing in the world, but I'm using it with a 6 year old ivybridge, z77 system, so I wouldn't be able to experience bleeding edge speed anyway. The mx500 is probably the best value sata drive on the market.

If you want a value m.2 drive, the HP ex920 is 300$/1tb. Almost as good as a samsung m.2, half the price.
It's the first HP product I've bought in years.

Attached: file.png (500x500, 130K)

hello Samsung shill, how are you today. It's nice how you have the same response every time this gets posted. You keep replies ready to copy in a text file don't you?

Best buy pny ssd 120gb for 30$

More like only choices, everything else performs like crap or dies too easily.

>same response every time
Prove it. In fact if anything you and look like you're shilling against Samsung. Are *you* being paid by Crucial?

Windows-based firmware updates have always been unsafe, the wrong bug at the wrong time and pop goes your hardware. And the point Windows 10 itself is far more shady than anything involving SM stands, so the source article is moronic at best. Let it rest, you don't even have to use Magician. Or Windows.

This. Bought my system ssd to upgrade my low end sandybridge pc, then it worked in my ivybridge pc for 4 years and now it works in my ryzen pc without any troubles. Meanwhile, one of mine wd reds i'd bought with an ivybridge pc died year ago. I have 4 ssds now and all of them are working perfectly.

whatever you say Seojun

Samsung is down to the same price now

Silicon power and ADATA are really good for the price less than 150$

got this on my build which i made yesterday and will only hold OS on it. anything important goes to.my hdd with backup. the ssd was recommmended by techdeals and the price is 27 for 120gb. im sure itll last for 3 years at least

Attached: IMG_20180721_230635186.jpg (3024x4032, 3.49M)

So between a 1TB EVO and a 512GB PRO the 1TB is a better choice?

please don't listen to this person, both are trash

The Micron 2TB is not the fastest SSD around but you won't regret buying the cheapest GB/$, all drives from any brand will outlive you now.

BiCS TLC is as good as cMLC so I recommend the TR200 from OCZ as a minimum, Toshiba make the best enterprise drives so they know what their are doing.

The Micron 1100 2TB SSD's they are currently selling at that price forego a RAM cache and only use SLC caching. I would not recommend them for a system drive if you have the option to go NVMe with DRAM+SLC instead.

What benifits do you even get out a firmware update? Haven't done one yet but
>build PC with one SSD
>Install OS
>Install firmware
>Have to install whole OS again

whatever fits into your thinkpad

840 had fucked up firmware which made them near unusable after half of a year. You had to reformat it again to make them fast again.

Bought a 2 TB Crucial MX500 for £260 the other day. Now I can keep all of my gaymes on an SSD.

Feels good man.

970Pro

Samsung evo 850 or 860. Don't go for anything under 500gb.

135 burger dollars on newegg atm

Attached: wd blue ssd.png (1504x549, 99K)

Huh? You have to keep it full? But doesn't that slow it down?

>Don't go for anything under 500gb
also remember to not buy shitsung

Ok

Attached: Sky9aCk.png (793x241, 21K)

retard he just said the opposite

I've had a Kingston 128gb SSD as the drive windows is on and only small programs because of there size.

I reset that computer because the SSD was running out of space and really fucked but now its fine.

Just got a 128gb MBP and prolly should've gone for higher storage but whatever

Is overprovisioning SSDs worth while?

Attached: 1527709181168.png (374x535, 244K)

This. 500 GB is pretty sweet spot now, 128 GB isnt worth unless you buy it used for something where you don't need more space.
SSDs don't break. It happened when the technology was new and they used Sandforce controllers. Same with HDDs. I remember back in older ages IDE drives died very quick, nowadays I have Seagate drives that run for 10 years and I guess they'll never break.

SSDs last longer than HDDs, its almost impossible to destroy them with writes. They once tested a 256 GB 840 Pro, it took 2 PETAbyte until it went into read only mode. You can still recover your data then.
Might consider a 960 evo in sale, prices dropped a lot.
Yes, for budget options you should consider them.

128 GB is plenty for just Windows and a few programs. I even fit two larger games on it.
>Used a 120 GB 840 Basic until early 2018
The difference to this 960 is very slight, bootup times were always quick. For Winrar NVMe is a dream.

Paired with a Ryzen 1700, feels to be a dream to live in 2018. This is my low power HTPC, this kind of performance in less than 5 KG.

Attached: ssd.jpg (3571x1793, 649K)

I've never had an SSD in any of my desktop computers, but probably getting a 500GB Crucial MX500 once I get paid. I know what an SSD does, I know it's benefits, but what do you guys think it improves the most? What have you liked the best about having an SSD? Anything you especially like about SSD's?

zero noise, everything is ready to go at boot with bloated OS's like windows. shit just works.

250GB Crucial SSD is only $60 with free shipping from Amazon. The botnet wants your PC to boot faster. I have the 275GB version of that in my laptop right now and it's great.

amazon.com/Crucial-MX500-250GB-NAND-Internal/dp/B0764WCXCV/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1532282635&sr=8-3&keywords=crucial ssd 275

TR200 is better

840 evo was such a shitshow i can't believe people forgot about it but still hate kingston over v300 controversy (not saying kingston is good)

Source for your second point please.

It's a 840 pro and it works perfectly at the moment, is there something I should know?

It's used but I got it for free and its health status was about 97 or so when I checked it, so no complains. I also upgraded it to the lastest firmware.

heise.de/newsticker/meldung/SSD-Langzeittest-beendet-Exitus-bei-9-1-Petabyte-3755009.html

In German unfortunately
But they last way longer than the TBW counts, even the cheap ones

I think the pro is fine, but the 840 evo had big performance issues

Get an NVME M.2 drive, the premium between other good SSDs and much faster PCIe ones is basically nothing now.

>MLC
Whoever had the bright idea to call 2 bit/cell SSDs MLC SSDs should be fucking shot.

Attached: file.png (2091x709, 135K)

970 pro 512geebees

>The Micron 1100 2TB SSD's they are currently selling at that price forego a RAM cache and only use SLC caching.

Is this any different than other 2.5 in SSDs like Crucial MX500, Samsung evo ect? I know nvme is faster, but that's kind of an apples to oranges comparison.

no, disregard this man, he sucks cock. Having RAM as a cache is much more important on hdd's than it is on ssd's

In the EU an IP address is personal data by law since GDPR was instated.

I can afford one of these two which one i should get ?

Attached: LongScreenshot_2018-07-23-08-25-42~01.png (1080x724, 191K)

Attached: LongScreenshot_2018-07-23-08-26-12~01.png (1080x889, 244K)

amazon.com/dp/B076XMH2JT/

cheap chinkshit.

>SSDs don't break.
Sure they do, I broke one myself. If you force cut it off during large write operations, there is pretty decent chance it will die.

Neither. Save more for a 240GB at least.
120GB drives have shit longevity.

goodram works finre for me

>120GB drives have shit longevity.
Source?

They use the same cells as larger capacity drives, but half of them. So they run out of writes faster.
Techquickie made a video about it.

>Techquickie made a video about it.
Seriously? Linus is your source?

Unless you're just hammering the drives with nonstop writes over and over again you'll be fine. It's only a concern in a server/workstation use case.

OK then, just disregard it and buy a slower and less reliable drive.
If you really want to verify it you can just buy two SSDs of the same model, just different capacities, open them up and see that it's true, they have less cells.

i'm building new pc when nvidia releases their new gen. should i buy mx500 now as it is on a sale or wait and buy everything together since the prices are steadily going down anyway?

Adata 240gb

I don't know about these particular drives, but last I checked SSDs that don't have RAM cache suck even compared to normal SATA SSDs.

I won't disregard it, but Linus isn't the first source I'll consult on anything related to technology. And about his knowledge of storage solutions - remember the infamous backup server failure?