ChromeOS

Is it accurate to call ChromeOS open source?

Watching this video

youtu.be/uK_nJtPKpz0

and reading some of the comments and it got me thinking, is it really correct to call ChromeOS open source just because it shares a foundation with ChromiumOS?

What does Jow Forums think?

Attached: chrome-vs-chromium-difference[1].jpg (900x500, 51K)

Other urls found in this thread:

chromium.org/chromium-os/chromium-os-faq
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

chromium.org/chromium-os/chromium-os-faq

What's the difference between Chromium OS and Google Chrome OS?
Google Chrome OS is to Chromium OS what Google Chrome browser is to Chromium.

Chromium OS is the open source project, used primarily by developers, with code that is available for anyone to checkout, modify, and build.
Google Chrome OS is the Google product that OEMs ship on Chromebooks for general consumer use.
Some specific differences:

The two projects fundamentally share the same code base, but Google Chrome OS has some additional firmware features, including verified boot and easy recovery, which require corresponding hardware changes and thus also don't work out of the box in Chromium OS builds.
Google Chrome OS runs on specially optimized hardware in order to get enhanced performance and security.
Chromium OS does not auto-update by default (so that changes you may have made to the code are not blown away), whereas Google Chrome OS seamlessly auto-updates so that users have the latest and greatest features and fixes.
Google Chrome OS is supported by Google and its partners; Chromium OS is supported by the open source community.
Google Chrome OS includes some binary packages which are not allowed to be included in the Chromium OS project. A non-exhaustive list:
Adobe Flash
Widevine CDM plugin (to support HTML5 EME)
3G Cellular support (but work is on going to address this)
DisplayLink Manager for video over USB (some systems)
Android (ARC++) container for running Android apps
Some components are available in both, but as closed source binary-only blobs. A non-exhaustive list:
Graphics Libraries (e.g. OpenGL) on ARM platforms
Google Chrome ships with its own set of API keys while Chromium does not include any
Users are expected to set up their own
Google Chrome OS has a green/yellow/red logo while Chromium OS has a blue/bluer/bluest logo.

The question is, can you get the source for what you are running on your computer? If no, ChromeOS isn't open source, ChromiumOS is.

Mods seriously deleted that for the non nude Firefox logo? Fuck off stupid niggers.

Either way I'll post again. No chromeOS is not open source the guy in the video is an idiot kind of like the mods here.

They could've added any number of additional "Features" and not even mentioned it there though yes? So there's really no telling what you get with chromeOS.

Not to mention as someone in the YouTube comment section mentioned you have to use chrome browser with chromeos.

The answer is no so its closed I guess.

Wait, it stops you from using other browsers? Can you uninstall it?

To my knowledge no. You can't install any other browsers currently besides android ones which will obviously perform far worse. Apparently soon most Chromebooks will be capable of running Linux programs, however they will be ran in a container and I suspect that it will limit the browser capabilities compared to that of chrome.

You're basically forced to use chrome for a decent experience.

Worse than microsoft

That's what it seems like. I mean the os is built from an open foundation but does it really matter when its so locked down and chromeos and chrome browser are both closed?

And anyone who trusts google now is a fool.

Jesus Christ that video triggered me. That guy is an idiot.

agreed

chrome OS isn't open source, it's based on an open source project

>You're basically forced to use chrome for a decent experience.
implying that is bad

>thats right goy, freedom of choice is bad. Give us all your data.

>Give us all your data
damn how is that ISP project you are building in your basement doing?

Seriously? You're defending google? You're ok with not being able to choose your software? Not even having a choice?

>isps might be bad so let's just eat everyone's shit

Good goyim

>your software
oh so you code your own? don't even start with open source just look up who sits on the boards of these agencies all CCP members

Who is calling Chrome or ChromeOS open sources? It's not. You can not check out it's code to audit it, you can't fork it, you can't build it. It's not OSS by any stretch.

Watch op vid

No. ChromeOS is proprietary. ChromiumOS is open source, but unlike Debian GNU/Linux there is no real expectation of it being useful.

I spent a short time developing for ChromiumOS, and it was a mess. Every single device had its own branches packed full of hacks and modifications from the manufacturer, and they're usually the only branches that can run on that device. I was building for daisy_spring at the time - HP had like six branches for it, and only one worked. The diff between daisy_spring's head and master was upwards of tens of thousands of lines, even diffs between the same tags were huge. Naturally, running HP's branch required pulling proprietary code during the build process.

But the most egregious thing is that ChromiumOS still needed a Google API key. Because that's how ChromeOS handled login, printing, wifi and settings. And ChromeOS is built from ChromiumOS, so naturally the latter is architected with the other in mind.

Some old guy doesn't understand distribution politics. Fine, can't blame him, they're pretty gay even if they're important. Still, some old dude getting confused doesn't really make COS open source.

What a fucking mess. There's goes my curiosity of getting chromiumos on an old laptop to try.