Xfce

why in god's name is xfce allowed to be so good?

i have this crappy Lenovo 120S that i installed Fedora on, and Gnome 3 was LAGGY AS SHIT

install Xfce, this baby BURNS. and i have a modern compositing window manager that's configurable and can do anything

question is: how do they do it so well? did Canonical or somebody pay real devs or something to embarrass the GNOME and KDE guys? because it seems just so professional by comparison

Attached: xfce.png (900x718, 199K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.14/roadmap
github.com/darealshinji/haiku-icons
feeblenerd.blogspot.com/2015/11/pretty-i3-with-xfce.html
b-ok.xyz/book/661791/a43920
b-ok.xyz/book/2193143/d3b8c8
gitlab.com/metsatron/BeOS-r5-Icons
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I think other de's just have a lot of unnecessary bloat

Once it's finished getting ported to GTK3 it will literally btfo of KDE in minimalism alone.

The default file browser could be better, it's pretty shitty now.

XFCE is nothing compared to i3

The funny thing is that it's also the best looking
Xubuntu is the most aesthetic out of the box distro out there

well when i've installed Xfce "manually" in Fedora and FreeBSD, nothing looked good out of the box, but within 20 minutes i made it comfy af. it doesn't do fancy animations and superficially look as minimal as Fedora's Gnome 3 out of the box, but if you take 20 minutes it easily outshines in comfyness versus the cold/sterile Gnome look they've gone for lately

>Once it's finished getting ported to GTK3.
Something that will never happen Alex for 500.

It's a step up from LXDE's ugly minimalism and that's all anyone ever wanted. It has to be a joke honestly, the ugly chicken foot logo and eyesore of a gradient add nothing to performance or usability so why is it even there to begin with? "I think it looks fine, change it if you don't like it" shows LXDE devs are just as bad as GNOME devs in not understanding how to keep things clean and out of the way.

any fedorafags on kernel 4.17.7 yet? apparently it was pushed to stable an hour ago but doing dnf refresh upgrade it says i'm already up to date. i need it because it fixes crashes with the old kernel versions.

>xfce thread
What a coincidence; I've been thinking of switching to Linux with my next computer so I've been checking out distros with different desktop environments and XFCE won me over almost instantly.

Seems to get a decent amount of flack for looking outdated by default but I'm a fan of that older look. Would love to get my next machine looking like the old screenshots of version 4.2 they've got up on their site (pic related); need to figure out what window style and icon theme they've got in use here.

Attached: XFCE4.2-2.jpg (1280x1024, 199K)

>because tiling WMs make me look like a hacker

>>Once it's finished getting ported to GTK3.
>Something that will never happen Alex for 500.

Lxqt was "never going to happen lol" as well. That's been done for like four years now

The weirdest thing to me is that lxde was the great big fuckin deal meme d.e. of 2010-12. Every distro and journalist was singing it's high praises and shilling erry day.. Meanwhile I had been rocking xfce for a long time and couldn't figure out why a featureless void mentality couldn't have been filled by a tiling wm.

I guess maybe that's it: lxde was baby's first Openbox preconfig

you can have the modern flat design meme with xfce too. with the right theme it looks even better than windoze 10 UI and works better by default.

posting my xfce desktop for kicks

Attached: Screenshot_2018-07-22_01-03-45.png (1347x762, 529K)

Realistically how much longer until 4.14 gets released?

>install Windows 95, this baby BURNS

never, xfeces is dead

mine

Attached: scr.png (1366x768, 253K)

it's nearly there
wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.14/roadmap

>Uptime: 3 minutes
defend yourself.

Every new decision being made by GNOME and GTK is fucking terrible, you're right to want the old-style look when the alternative today is bullshit like 2-pixel-wide scrollbars that keep disappearing

I think it's been refined very well if anything. It's like the wine of Desktop Environments. It only gets better with time.

The wine of desktop environments is explorer.exe in a Wine desktop.

someone make a new /fglt/

>that dock
name?

dont get me wrong, i like xfce a lot, but i find its a lot less featureful than GNOME or KDE even when it comes to fairly essential stuff, like driving an external monitor or other peripherals.

i'm looking for some old looking icons theme like that:
if anyone knows some good old themes, let me know...

Attached: Kazam_screenshot_00003.png (1920x1080, 131K)

had to boot it up to take a screenie
it's just an xfce panel with transparency enabled my man

There's a theme called retro something or other that's very good, but honestly just use humanity or elemental icons.

just use pcmanfm if you must use a gui or mc when you're ready to pull your bigboy pants up...

yeah just checked and it is in there for me. dnf clean all; dnf makecache; dnf upgrade. Otherwise you can grab the rpms and do it yourself.

Attached: 1461899020970.png (1071x2008, 503K)

yeah i used the tango default theme but i'd like something more retro.
i'll keep searching

Attached: Kazam_screenshot_00004.png (1920x1080, 166K)

xfeces is very nice, and so is MATE, but I always go back to i3.

Attached: 2018-07-06-1530935929_1366x768.png (1366x768, 721K)

hows sway?
I really want to try i3, but i want to leave xshit behind.

wayland is disgusting, just like all of nulinux development.

>wayland is disgusting
why? isn't it supposed to be objectively better?

You mean compared to Xfwm? You can use i3 on top of Xfce and they pair quite nicely.

Same, user. It was a nice ride from windows down with it, but the tiling is too comfy now.

Here, I bet this is your shit:

github.com/darealshinji/haiku-icons

I still forget what these are called in Linux repos, but I fuckin love BeOS/Haiku aesthetic and that link should help you find the set to manually add them

Attached: screenshot_stippi-icon-set.jpg (799x600, 59K)

thanks, i'll look into these

Nice, very clean looking

I should probably ask in the qtddtot but this bread is active and relevant, I need a quick answer. After fucking around installing Arch as my first Linux I gave up and successfully installed Debian (after learning a lot, and realizing I don't know much). This is embarrassing but I have i3 downloaded, with no other wm from the terminal how do I start it to log in and configure? I've spent the last ducking two hours googling it and it must be to stupid of a question. I've been on every wiki just can't find an answer.

>blocks your path

Attached: LXDE_desktop_full[1].png (1006x759, 470K)

assuming you have xfce4 installed, you have to remove its wm and a few other things.
feeblenerd.blogspot.com/2015/11/pretty-i3-with-xfce.html

To clarify, I've tried "exec i3" as well as goofed around with other commands. It shows "(command): Cannot open display". So I'm assuming I need x?

startx

Installing xinit rn

Your computer looks so ugly user. Can't you afford a Mac?

Attached: E1160297-3516-47B0-B5B0-8403EE516CAA.jpg (518x324, 14K)

>where's the gooey?
>why is everything one color?
>what are all those numbers at the top?
>where's the ecks button?
>are you hacking right now??

fuck me man...
I love the look of the old Puppy Linux. It's literally the most beautiful thing to me. But Puppy isn't supported well anymore and I'm just too lazy to make it work when Ubuntu MATE caters to my lazy ass.

Can't we just go back to this?

Attached: puppy-linux-welcome.png (800x600, 196K)

Dude, haiku stuff above

Puppy was my first real distro. I had 768kbps "broadband" and no patience for the big mainstream images. The blazing speed on 384 megs of ram was a revelation. Features like cd-rw persistence are still spoopy magic today. Good times.

cant you just literally copy their gui configuration?
I assume it's open source and you're not a retard?

>comparing a DE and a WM

>no built-in window tiling keyboard shortcut configuraion tool

When I first started to use linux 5 years ago, I started by using gnome 3. Then for the edgy phase I tried CDE, i3, mwm, twm etc.. Then I tried lxde but it was not complete enough. xfce is the sweet spot.
xubuntu rocks!!!

Attached: Screenshot_2018-07-22_12-22-38.png (1920x1080, 966K)

implying that's a comparable experience.

>your car fucking sucks compared to my motorbike

Dem profits my French mate. :D

how to become greatest inventor please teach me

whats that image picker

looks like ranger

Read the intelligent investor
b-ok.xyz/book/661791/a43920
Read One up on wall street
b-ok.xyz/book/2193143/d3b8c8
Read the financial times daily or at least twice a week (if you want to read it daily get a subscription, it's cheaper).
Don't go on Jow Forums
Always invest in sectors you know well. If you like cars you should invest in car companies etc
You will never get rich in 2 weeks, not even a year. getting x2 in one sitting is a meme, investment is slow and on the long term.

Meh I bought my stocks recently, will hold for 5 years. Can't wait for the sweet semestrial results of LVMH in 2 days tho. Any US stock/company to recommend? I was thinking about putting money on Tesla.

Try "Xfce Evolution" theme

Is there a sexier setup than xfce + arc-theme + whisker menu + a minimal panel?

No. The answer is no.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-07-22_11-58-31.png (3200x1080, 1.09M)

Single monitor screenshot instead

Attached: Screenshot_2018-07-22_12-08-06.jpg (1920x1080, 390K)

>dark theme with light menus
>vanilla chan
l2rice

By default it looks god ugly. Unless a distro prefabs it to look.good it's too much effort to make it look good. The exact same thing with usability as well. The default applications it's bundled with usually need to be changed or modified extensively in order to fit any usecase.

SANE DEFAULTS. why can't any Linux developer understand this?? In fact many Linux applications would be so much more usable if you didn't need to modify everything about them, sometimes just to work at all without breaking.

gitlab.com/metsatron/BeOS-r5-Icons

My xfce desktop

Attached: screenFetch-2018-07-22_12-38-02.png (1920x1080, 945K)

Or, you know, learn how to write a config file and copy paste it whenever you need to. The only argument to me that is valid about xfce is that the clock is weird to set to the right formats, noobs need to refer to documentation for that one.

If you really actually wanted no-effort D.E.s you would like Cinnamon or Budgie

your icons clash really hard

>Xfce 4.14 didn't make it into Xubuntu 18.04
This is terrible. LTS users won't get a tearfree desktop until 2020

people who use *buntu and LTS deserve everything they get

By 'everything they get' you mean a reliable, stable operating system?

Are they finally going to fix the screefntearing with 4.14? Literally the only thing keeping me from Xfce.

>just use compton/compiz/insert shit compositor here

No, fuck off. Barely works and breaks shit constantly. Xfwm is perfect.

>screentearing
literally one checkbox or command if you have nvidia.

>tear free meme

Never fucking works.

did for me.

>works on my machine

This is why Linux has no marketshare.

Attached: file.png (538x71, 8K)

Smoke 'em if you've got 'em lads.

Attached: 22-07-2018_19:53:10.jpg (2646x1024, 967K)

truth.
xfce is patrician tier.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-07-22_17-45-52.png (1280x800, 418K)

have enough bloat on your taskbar m8?

This. Pcmanfm is a must, thunar STILL doesn't remember folder view settings, lmfao.

how is it bloat if i use each and everything on there regularly?
sometimes im fapping and cant use keyboard for shortcuts, these things have gone through a lot of iterations to have maximum effectiveness just on a mouse.

Attached: [Ohys-Raws] 20. Welcome To Winter Days! (00:06:07.783) 0002.png (1024x576, 408K)

how's dolphin?
accidentally installed it and it seems pretty much like thunar. don't really care about folder view settings as i like default list with thumbnails.

Dolphin is KDE shit, and needs a fuckton of libs to run, Pcmanfm is like thunar, but better.

Top lol, xfce screen tear is RIDICULOUS

>seconds
>Bluetooth appears twice
>Temp appears twice
>keyboard layout

>not bloated

>bluetooth appears twice
the left one shows all of the devices it's connected to - wireless speakers and headphones. the right one is settings of it.

>temp appears twice

lmao where? surely you're not talking about pfsensor.

>eyboard layout
mouse effectiveness

>not bloated
try harder

hint: if it looks ugly, change the GTK theme

i've been on a custom numix for years that replaces the faggot red with adwaita blue

everything looks and works fine

>I hate stability

Same desu. I have a laptop with single core 1.8 GHz and 512 MB ram and Debian Xfce runs very well.

>gtk3
>minimalism
Opinion discarded.

even if this user is a retard comparing a WM with DE, I have to admit that when you get used to a tiling window manager you cannot go back. It has to click but when it does, you won't feel the same.

I hope we had in the future a DE with proper tiling like i3wm and not GNOME and Xfce pseudo tiling is not enough (at least for me).

because it's the comfiest de

Attached: pMmSOOv3zg.png (1668x1032, 75K)

>why in god's name is xfce allowed to be so good?

>Try to change the appareance settings
>Settings are splitted more than the ones on Win10

Attached: MS.png (437x301, 8K)

Post a screenshot of your riced desk