What are must read books for the modern software engineer?

What are must read books for the modern software engineer?

Attached: cleancode.jpg (387x499, 28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Peopleware-Productive-Projects-Tom-DeMarco/dp/0932633439
akkadia.org/drepper/cpumemory.pdf
lsi.upc.edu/~robert/teaching/master/material/p5-goldberg.pdf
a.co/cH4pS0N
amazon.com/dp/1982063742/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The interbutt

amazon.com/Peopleware-Productive-Projects-Tom-DeMarco/dp/0932633439

bought this book but havent read it yet. Is it really that good?

No idea, I’ve been stuck choosing between this or pragmatic programmer

It's not about whether or not it's good reading material, you still have to read it because if you don't write clean code, you shouldn't dare apply for a job, ever, or collaborate on software in any other way.

why would you need to read some book for that?

Jerry Fitzpatrick - Timeless Laws of Software Development

Worst meme ever.
Half of it is common sense, the other is hacks to overcome Java's limitations.
Read TAOCP.

TAOCP has an entirely different purpose

Attached: file.png (547x456, 62K)

Attached: 511H8QWUL4L._SX384_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (386x499, 45K)

Most of it is what I'd take for granted in programmers, but there are still some retards failing that.
Mostly Except, don't read TAOCP or SICP, they are also useless memes.
Instead read algorithm books that focus on one domain.

Who buy books without readin them????

>software engineer
programmer

Not a book but everyone should read this:
akkadia.org/drepper/cpumemory.pdf
Pretty spooky working with people who give you a blank stare when you try to explain how a CPU actually works with main memory.

Im just about to finish it myself, its an amazimg read.

Attached: cover.png (847x1138, 162K)

And what every cs should know about floats
lsi.upc.edu/~robert/teaching/master/material/p5-goldberg.pdf

It's good, but I'm a huge fan of Code Complete. The First 1/3 of the book in particular is really good to read if you are a relatively new professional dev. Even years later, the whole book serves as a good general review to solidify/formalize any concepts you may already have an intuition for.

Attached: dddd.jpg (384x499, 36K)

Just use a code formatter lmao

>t. mediocre Dunning–Kruger software developer

thx for the rec

will read ASAP

looks good

Attached: 9780316788885.jpg (1681x1700, 469K)

yes, but don't get hung up on it's .NET focus. CC is all about best practices. PP is a quick read and is all about the mind set of a programmer. you should read both. read PP first since it's quicker and go into detail in CC.

Kill yourself, uncle bob cultist.

Attached: Software Engineering Gurus.jpg (957x466, 85K)

the cpu doesn't care how pretty your code is, just do what's fastest

Internet community programmer in nutshell.

>write giant mound of patchwork platform-specific code to be fast
>architecture changes come along one day and suddenly my optimized code isn't optimal anymore (Pentium 4 anyone?)
>wrote an unmaintainable mess so I can forget about updating it to be optimal on the new architecture in any reasonable amount of time

Overrated garbage.
Based

this book is for kids not for engineers

Attached: Sci's CS reading list .jpg (2500x4048, 2.73M)

underrated post

Attached: 51ovFaPaLjL._SX379_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (381x499, 41K)

Whatever you do stay far the fuck away from most of the brainlet software engineering books like the Gang of Four book or anything by Martin Fowler. Most of these books introduce completely unnecessary abstractions that were designed for brain damaged languages, particularly Java. Learn to program with simplicity in mind, ideally through the functional style. SICP will make your imperative code better than any of these books.

Kek

memory hierarchy, caches and optimizations are well covered in CS:APP, really good book

Someone post a link to the pdf

>buy
I know I do. By the time the book arrives I usually lose interest in the particular topic. Took me 4 years to read Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture after buying it, 2 years to read Clean code, and half a year to start reading Domain Driven design (only to put it back after 50 pages or so because I understood I won't learn anything new and have no time for this shit). I sometimes think think there must be something wrong with my brain.

Lucky for you, I got an Amazon list of recommended books, user.

a.co/cH4pS0N

Clean architecture is also pretty good even if it's just rebranding existing patterns. I wish uni's would make this stuff required reading. The amount of junior devs that don't understand the basics of good architecture is amazing

Jow Forums will benefit from this more than any other book recommended here.

Attached: 1582672281.jpg (590x590, 59K)

TITS or GTFO

New book out btw...
amazon.com/dp/1982063742/

>buying overpriced books recommended (and written) by your professor
>ever
Has it ever occured to you that your university might be a ponzi scheme

Attached: file.png (651x237, 83K)

well its not clean code for all that I can tell you. fuck that book.

>Yegor Bugayenko
Advance shitposting is indistinguible from serious advices.

Anything you could recommend for GNU+Linux/Unix, but less on the programming and more on the concepts behind the OS design side?

Based.

>FREE POSTER INCLUDED
Tell me more!!

Bob get's 100k for teaching Agile development for 5 days, he does 2 days of powerpoint slides and 3 days of leaving the devs work on a game. They present at the end.

>>What are must read books for the modern software engineer?
The Career Programmer: Guerilla Tactics for an Imperfect World

Read this before you even consider it. Modern software engineering is dealing with normie shit, and it fucking sucks if you aren't prepared to handle it.

Attached: 51yoK1cB6hL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (333x499, 31K)

The Holy Bible. Y'all need jesus, desu

user I have so many programming books I haven't read. Hell the one's I've started I didn't finish.

Attached: file.png (326x470, 197K)

I was "forced" to read it, and I think it's literally the worst book I ever had to read: total useless horseshit that everybody knows.

If you want to read something about actual software engineer try with Domain-Driven Design Distilled.

It's real easy if you've been working for a long time and get pulled in multiple directions on a regular basis. You have head hunters that want to sell your experience to a new dig but expect you to have five years experience in tech that has only been around for two. You have employers that want to "pivot" their 20 million line codebase to modernity with just two devs. You have your own interests, and you want to stay current but you just don't have the motivation and/or time.

Commutes were a mistake. Shouldn't take you more than 20 minutes each way to and from work.

Attached: 1530997518698.jpg (960x720, 93K)

I have read most of it and many things seemed kind of obvious. Also some things seem a bit subjective.

Read Martin Fowler's Refactoring instead of that mess. You will get all the benefits without having to slog through poor writing, arbitrary changes, or lousy examples.

Attached: 1530493667343.jpg (600x400, 26K)

I still have no idea how to properly name a function that has to execute several different things in a certain sequence

It is really gay how in programming there are so many opinions, and so many sources that you never actually know if reading a certain thing even helps you or might even make you dumber instead. Almost no books, except those teaching syntax of a language are really herlpful with a high degree of certainty.

High level programming is more arts and crafts than engineering despite what others will tell you. Best you can do is read about general ideas and concepts and try to apply them in a sensible manner.

Attached: 1530670807536.gif (150x200, 1.07M)

The nuts and bolts of languages and their standard libraries together are very much engineering. Creating an architecture that is extensible and resilient in the face of change requests is very much an art, however. The best people make it seem effortless, while the rest of us get bogged down in too many details addressed too soon.

one of the hardest problems in computer science desu

^^ don't listen to this idiot

^^ don't listen to this uncle bob's cocksucker

This

Attached: death-march.jpg (1103x1360, 215K)

This too

Attached: slack.jpg (818x1252, 156K)

have you even read either of those books? they have entirely different aims. refactoring is an old book that was written to advocate for tools that can help change code to be higher quality without changing it's behaviour. It is largely out of date as if you use any modern IDE will have those tools out of the box. Clean code is more a book of pointers for new programmers.

>A G I L E
>CRAFTSMANSHIP

LMAO CAN WE ADD ANY MORE MEMES

To get summary of millions of hours of coding by people way more intelligent than you?

Kill yourselves. Those books are self-help for programmers. They are not written for intelligent men. Go back to sucking uncle bob's dick.

Attached: algo.jpg (590x668, 35K)

Harry Potter