Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: just like in /sqt/ spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software have active mailing lists.
*Many free software has an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: void_bg.png (143x143, 6K)

Other urls found in this thread:

debian.org/CD/
github.com/zh32/drtelemetry
archive.fo/PDu2o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

SystemD/GNU/Linux

Gentoo fucked up my HDD

You mean you fucked up your HDD trying to install Gentoo? Or what....

any more sane, slightly quicker way for connecting to whatever wireless access points around using terminal (that is - without using nm-applet)?

bit current clunky, current method i have (mostly crammed in a bash script + some manual user input)
# pkill wpa_supplicant &&
# netctl stop-all &&
# wpa_supplicant -B -i wlp3s0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf;
# sudo wpa_cli &&
# wpa_cli

*** manually ***
scan
scan_results
quit

# ip link set wlp3s0 down

*** manually ***
# cp /etc/netctl/examples/someconfig /etc/netctl/faggot-router-config
# nvim /etc/netctl/faggot-router-config and save
# netctl start faggot-router-config

I need root privileges to write to my external devices (SD Card, External HDD). How do I fix this so I can just drag and drop?

When you guys compile programs from github do you just leave them in your home folder or do you use a different directory?

Attached: 1531859566069.png (400x400, 8K)

~/src
I also have ~/bin in my PATH

on Debian/Ubuntu/anything using APT/apt/apt-get/aptitude/..
how do I
* list packages that have been removed but not purged (and therefore still pollute my system with their config files)
* find out why automatically installed packages have been installed (ie what other package pulled them in as dependencies). I want this done recursively until it hits a manually installed package

I can't SSH/ping my server unless it has a keyboard plugged in, how to fix?
boot with kb: ssh works, can ping machine
boot with kb, ssh in, ping is ok, then unplug kb: ssh session disconnects, "Connection reset", can no longer ping
boot without kb: ssh gives "Resource temporary unavailable", cannot ping

ssh server box is a wintel w8 pro running a fresh install of ubuntu server 18.04

You can use wpa_passphrase to connect to access points without editing the configuration file.

Why is the gentoo install process always broken?

tar xpf stage3-*.tar.{bz2,xz} --xattrs-include='*.*' --numeric-owner

It won't run this because apparently i'm not allowed to have more than one option that starts with --

>Why is the gentoo install process always broken?
why do people spout lies like this when they clearly don't know what they're talking about

What's the dumbest OS you've ever seen?
Windows and Mac don't count

What's the strangest gnu/linux you've ever seen?

TempleOS

thanks

Attached: 190844d230b80fca466e98f70977b4bef78343c1e626481ff76028be7dd2290d.png (181x194, 9K)

Arch Linux is a pretty ridiculous concept

antergos and every other X but easy to install distro. I don't see the point. I feel for the arch community having to deal with ubuntu/windows brainlets flooding to whine about installing a broken package from an AUR.

I installed a few programs on a fresh install of CentOS (JDK, intelliJ Idea). I had installed CentOS alongside Windows 10. After two weeks of not logging in I decided to do something in Linux for a change and it turns out intelliJ thinks it's freshly installed (no settings got saved). Is it a problem with Linux or with intelliJ? VLC is also not present in the menu.

I always do
tar xfp stage3- -C /mnt/gentoo

and it always work

oops

wpa_supplicant is deprecated. Use iwd.

What does the place where the software is hosted have to do with your packaging solutions?

Hello, I currently have an old laptop i plan on getting rid of and thought i might as well use it to explore different OS's. It's an asus zenbook 3; i7-7500 CPU @ 2.70GHz/ 2.90GHz, 16GB RAM(15.9 usable), 64-bit.

I want to start with Debian 4.9, mainly because I have seen other users configs and it looks so clean. Lately I have been into aesthetics/ functionality. the only prob is that I am completely new to coding and not tech savvy at all when it comes to pc's. I am a very fast learner though. Anyone have an idea of where to start or possibly point me in the right direction? install tuts, (do's and don'ts), resources, privacy. anything helps, thanks

Attached: awesomemoneys.jpg (266x266, 46K)

>Debian 4.9
you probably want to install a distro from this decade.

Looks have nothing to do with a distribution. Every distribution can look the same.

install debian stretch
debian.org/CD/
xfce is a really nice DE in that it's great for beginners and pretty riceable.

thanks!

I realized after typing that, thanks. anything productive to add? suggestions? constructive criticisms?

thanks! I'll look into it.

>inb4 read OP's post. I just opened the links and started reading everything i can.

Attached: 1501119548183.jpg (480x390, 73K)

Android

I can have a significantly more powerful device than that Acer poverty-laptop I bought in 2007, it could make a decent carry-anywhere pocket/desktop computer running DE as an option, yet closest thing to is crippled chroot environment via SSH or VNC, reminding you that no matter how advanced and compact the hardware, it never will be anything more than artificially limited media-consumption-oriented spydevice and all the advancement behind it is not in your interests at all and it's almost more (((important))) to carry one than your passport.

upgrading from debian 8, it served me well but I need newer packages. I'm tempted to install ubuntu lts, but last time I used it (14.10) it was pretty crap with its unity bs and bundled amazon malware. Have they fixed that shit?

do I go with debian 9 or just go with the flock and install ubuntu 18.04? Preferred DE is LXDE

unity is kill
18.04 default DE is gnome, but you should just get lubuntu

I'm using Void Linux and I have freetype package installed. Fonts on some sites or some specific parts of the website look terrible, pic related. How can I fix this?

Attached: scrot-2018-07-22_12-21-41.png (330x157, 23K)

I'm using Firefox.

thanks user. Does it have the amazon search malware by default? If yes, I will stick to debian otherwise good to go

also, every ubuntu ever I used started to throw system error messages on startup after a few weeks of use (literally nothing happened, they just wanted my core dump for whatever reason), does this exist?

Try install Noto-Fonts

there's no search malware but the default gnome desktop has an amazon launcher
lubuntu has nothing amazon related

Fontconfig.

aptitude why

zgrep -E '^(Remove)' /var/log/apt/history.log*
apt-cache rdepends packagename
>I want this done recursively until it hits a manually installed package
not sure if apt supports it, you'll probably have to script it yourself.

>/var/log/apt/history.log
ah, that file is nice to know, thanks!

>apt-cache rdepends packagename
also good, I'll see what I can do with this

>aptitude why
this was the reason I asked, because I dont think that does what I specified. or at least it didnt give the results I wanted/expected, but I'll look into it again

There's also /var/log/dpkg.log if you want an even more verbose history.

What's the comfiest GNU/Linux distro? Debian? Ubuntu? Something else?

Attached: 1507686297602.gif (500x384, 95K)

gentoo will make you the most proud of yourself.
debian for just werks

>comfiest
It's whatever works for you and is unobtrusive and allows you to do what you need to. Distros are largely just curated repos that cater to the specific philosophy of the maintainers. Ergo unless that's a factor in your use case it's largely irrelevant. The biggest thing you might redress would be the foss oss argument. Some distros will passively encourage you to use foss but will offer oss options in the form of maintained non-free repos. The only other major concern would be if you want a snapshot or rolling release distro. The former holds back packages until they are deemed stable for use while releasing accepted package and security updates to maintain stability. The latter patches packages in the upstream and releases them as they clear testing. The best way to describe both these in example would be

>Debian
Snapshot release foss philosophy
>Arch
Rolling release no foss restrictions on main/community repos

The remainder is defining your userland with a de or supplemented wm setup. Which are largely homogeneous across distros.

>144hz display.
>60hz display.

>Attach the 60hz display to PC.
>The 144hz display now wont turn to 144hz, only to 59hz.

?

ok, it now randomly blimped and the 144hz is working at 144hz lmao k

>implying debian restricts you

Had a problem with gnome software center not showing any programs on 2 different xubuntu computers
Solved it by doing
rm -r /var/cache/app-info
sudo appstreamcli refresh --force --verbose

>Implying you're literate
It says has foss and non-free.

Is this a stupid idea?
>monitor ssh connection logs
>get failed SSH attempt
>if the IP is there more than n times
>parse whois output for an abuse email
>send automated email with information regarding what they're doing
Might be a way to help stop dumbass bots looking for easy server access.

sounds absolutely fucking annoying... for them. Do it.

Sounds good m8.

How do I make my terminal prompt look like this?

Attached: prompt.png (618x170, 34K)

PS1='faggot \$'

gee thanks

>GNU
>Void logo
What?

PS1='ā•­ā”€\[\e[32m\]\u@\h\[\e[34m\] \w\[\e[m\]\nā•°ā”€\$ '
This should reproduce it.

Void is a GNU/Linux distro. What's your problem?

ZSH_THEME="bira"

No, Void Linux is a Linux distro.
One of its official flavors doesn't even have glibc and uses musl instead.

Attached: Screenshot_20180722-163415.png (1080x1920, 250K)

thank you so much

Kill yourselves.

So I cloned my old SSD to a new one that has twice the storage.
My / and /home are stored in /dev/sda5, it's an encrypted LUKS partition.
What's the best way to resize this to fill the disk without fucking anything up?
I know that basically I have to expand the PV (the hard part) and then expand my LV's.
Any pointers on this, I went through the arch wiki and the debian wiki but they seem to have conflicting advice on how to resize stuff.

Attached: 2018-07-22-1532269963_562x250.png (562x250, 10K)

>trillions

Attached: 1531030976100.png (362x507, 192K)

printf '\U0001f4a9\n'

What easy to set up distro (easy like plug in usb and click next, next, next...) without systemD could Jow Forums recommend?

Attached: _5BVc1Lm_Q7aXJxNjWmZnOdRnfdao4ZG-NBxnQhyG-g.jpg (480x436, 21K)

dev1

devuan?

I know this is a GNU/Linux thread but I need ideas for my GNU/OpenBSD machine. I have an old PC running OpenBSD. It has a 40G hard drive and less than a gigabyte of ram. I tried setting up unrealircd but it kept segfaulting. What are other good uses for low-powered OpenBSD machines?

Hello friends. I was wondering if someone could help me out diagnose this issue, since I really don't know the next thing about ports or networking.

There's a program that "listens" for the control data from a game (Dirt Rally), so that it can show an overlay of the controls of a car as you're driving it.

github.com/zh32/drtelemetry

The README says to enable the UDP port the game can use and make it transmit to 10001, so that the program can listen in. However, When visiting localhost:8080 on my browser I get a blank screen. What could I be doing wrong? I've read the program works for GNU/Linux folks, so it's probably a fuck up on my end.

dumb question, how do I move the cursor faster with ctrl + direction in urxvt?
I know it's a setting in the config but I have no clue which one

archwiki article on lvm resizing and luks resizing

Okay here's what I've done. I decided to send to all emails found since there can be multiple, different abuse email addresses for a single IP.
#!/bin/bash
failed_cons="$(grep 'sshd.*Invalid' /var/log/auth.log)"
remote_ips=($(echo "${failed_cons}" | grep -oP '\d+(\.\d+){3}' | sort -u))

for rhost in "${remote_ips[@]}"; do
grep -q "${rhost}" /var/log/ssh-abuse-emails.log && continue
grep -q "${rhost}" /root/whitelist.txt && continue
email_addresses=($(whois "${rhost}" | grep -E -o "[A-Za-z0-9][A-Za-z0-9._%+-]+@[A-Za-z0-9][A-Za-z0-9.-]+\.[A-Za-z]{2,6}"))
for e in "${email_addresses[@]}"; do
printf 'Hello,\n\nThis is an automated email from the owner of fqdn.\n\nMy ssh logs have detected the IP %s has been attempting to bruteforce my username/password. Everything is okay, my server is fine and this is a common occurrence as I'\''m sure you'\''re aware, but I would just like to inform you so that it doesn'\''t happen again.\n\nPartial log:\n%s\n\nThis is the only time I will send a report for the IP %s' "${rhost}" "$(echo "${failed_cons}" | grep "${rhost}")" "${rhost}" | mail -s "Abuse Notification For ${rhost}" -r abuse-notifyd@fqdn "${e}"
done
echo "${rhost}" >> /var/log/ssh-abuse-emails.log
done
Then a cronjob runs it every minute.

Just setup fail2ban like everyone else and be on your way
Also use iptables to block russian,china and india ips from connecting

I do that as well, and I even have my sshrc setup to ssh into my PC and notify-send some information every time an SSH connection is established, or if my PC is off it'll send an email.

Its pointless and you're opening your self up to scurrility

t. bot owner

do you not use key-based auth? that is enough, there's no need to implement convoluted shit just for ssh

Yeah obviously, and it's not that I'm afraid of getting hacked. Seems you completely missed the point of this script.

you won't take down botnets by reporting the individual IPs the scans originate from, those are just random infected machines

Nigga you're forgetting that most aren't random infected machines. My logs show most of them are owned by VPS providers in China or Indonesia. I don't see how this short script could inconvenience either of us, so I also don't see why you're trying to convince me not to use it..

But I guess what I could do is a quick nmap scan for common server ports before sending off an abuse email.

I'm not trying to convince you do stop doing anything, I'm saying you're wasting time. Do you really think the VPS/ISP companies in China and Indonesia give a shit about abuse emails?

Yeah they probably don't, but I might get a few people's accounts suspended.

Why aren't you using Swag Arch?

Attached: 1494627883729.jpg (2560x1600, 1.92M)

CTRL+a beginning
CTRL+e end of line

Rund bind -p to see all bindings.

archive.fo/PDu2o

Thoughts?

Just go through the Usage steps on github, then open a terminal and run ss -tulpn as root to see if the programs are listening on the ports.
If they are and you still can't connect, you might have to allow the ports through your firewall or check if something like SELinux isn't blocking it.

meant for

screenfetch or neofetch?

Attached: 1532275866018.gif (600x600, 899K)

It was written by someone who should fuck off back to windows.
1. Linux is a kernel
2. Cannot blame the distros for shit hardware support, if the manufacturers are niggers who refuse to release proper documentation. HW support is like 75% of the document.
3. Everyone blaming Linux for bad printer support should sudoku ASAP. The printing system we use is developed by Apple.

And I could go on for hours.

I just keep the cups service enabled and printers are literally plug and play for me on linux.
Hell, they're much more annoying on windows because every shitty company makes it's own drivers, with cups it's all universal

Uninstall and purge apport to stop the messages

i want to troll tranny lovers

someone make a script that will quote all posts in a thread with the words 'she' or 'her' in it... thnx

this is a trans-inclusive thread, honey

gtkorphan [not sure of name] gui frontend for deborphan. Just literally click to remove orphaned config files.

>Not liking feminine penises and masculine vaginas
Get a loadda this user

what do you ni/g/gers think of open suse?

wget -qO- randominsults.net | sed -n '//{s;^.*\(.*\).*$;\1;p}'

tumbleweed is great
I have the newest packages and everything is stable

Does void have a tan or something I can jack off to? Ricing it just doesn't do it for me any more.