The device is too small to fit that jac---

>the device is too small to fit that jac---

Attached: 1512514146643.jpg (560x348, 77K)

Attached: 1532098029635.jpg (680x585, 260K)

>another 16 year old boomer who never owned a PCMCIA ethernet card with a slide out RJ45 connector 20 years ago already

The only thing cool about PCMCIA was that it had CIA in it.

Was the cable too big?

There was no cable.

im honestly happy that apple is forcing the industry to adopt usb c.

For you

god I wish that was me

same, intel making thunderbolt 3 license-free is also a huge boon to it's usefulness. I hope thunderbolt 3 takes off as well, but usb-c 3.1 being widely standardized would be fantastic also.

I'm also a huge fan of USB-C and Thunderbolt 3.
But I don't see it replacing Ethernet, that's the one connector that will probably stay my entire lifetime.

why isnt there mini-rj45

>Universal serial bus c
>Universal
>There are 20 variations of it

>flimsy little piece of shit
no thanks

RJ Point 5

I have one like this and it's actually pretty sturdy, despite me forcing cables into it like a brute

old Asus netbook

Attached: IMG_4713.jpg (4032x3024, 1.71M)

if you need moving parts to make it work you may as well not have it

>The only thing cool about PCMCIA was that it had CIA in it.
It meant People Cannot Memorise Computer Industry Acronyms.

but appel donot like moving part!!!!! it will come off &n break n its not very stylish...

>people who pride themselves on how their hardware looks cant do a flap stylishly

Sad

look at these shills trying to meme

Wait modern books don't have Ethernet?

Attached: 61OTPAdSyCL._SL1500_.jpg (1200x1500, 67K)

what is this pink thing in the bottom right corner ?

I use/fix laptops for a living and literally the only reason I have used a ethernet port in a laptop is to download wifi drivers when a fresh windows install doesn't have them.

Now I just run lubuntu on a usb drive and download them that way.

I do not understand why some manufacturers making laptops TODAY are still putting that port. It's just never used.

Imagine having to carry around a dongle for the rest of your life...

I honestly think it's pokin fun at older people taking pictures. It looks like a finger covering the cars plate, so that nobody can 'know' who's in the picture. The joke is that it's a picture of the person, which (assuming it's posted on facebook) they will be tagged and have their face recognized. But they still cover the place because 'muh privacy' without truly understanding it.

In other words, boomers trying to keep up but don't understand how.

You need it to setup WiFi in the first place, and to troubleshoot when something is wrong with it.

Although there are some (insecure) hacks around it, it will always be a pain in the ass especially when you have an unreliable signal you're trying to diagnose.

>own Thinkpad
>take it to lab
>easily hook it up to any shitty monitor with the VGA out
>macfags have to carry around a gorillion dongles just to use a USB drive and charge at the same time

I don't get what the appeal of ultrathin laptops is. Sure, they look neat, but they're a pain in the ass to use and they're probably really easy to break.

Attached: pepesing.png (640x400, 9K)

I think the "joke" is also they don't know how MS paint works.

now i can sleep with one less question bothering me

People think thick laptops look "nerdy".
They need to be thin to look "fashionable".

>calling an ethernet interface a jack
Kill yourself

They're fine as a portable facebook machine but become unusable the moment when you have to plug in something that's not a charger.

Attached: DiS0HzlUwAEfvHV.jpg (1000x1000, 70K)

Its not old if it has USB SS

Explain in what situation would you be moving around from place to place connecting to a different ethernet cable.

They don't look neat and you're gay if you think otherwise.

what do you think RJ45 stands for?

>the piece of plastic at the end of a cable is actually the cable itself!
retard

if they could make them not fragile it would be cool i guess

>>the device is too small to fit that jac---

So OP refers to the end of the cable, which coincidentally is called a Registered JACK 45.

What now?

Go ahead and walk up to a network admin and call it an "iNteRneT JaCK" and you'll be laughed out of the room.

you live in your own little fantasy world, don't you

I'm said network admin and I'm currently laughing you out of the room

What are you talking about.

Normally you use UTP cabling with an RJ45 Connector for the user/access tier.

Nobody called it internet jack, thats your conjecture.

t.network engineer

of course you are

Well at least it's not a WiFi Cable.

Attached: DhqWjBUUYAEjKJG.jpg (900x888, 94K)

I use it for troubleshooting and downloading bigger files.

Using the "RJ45" name in an Ethernet context is plain wrong though.
RJ45, or officially, RJ45S is a standard defining both a connector and its wiring and is used in regular telecommunications.
When speaking of Ethernet-related connectivity, a standard cable is made of two 8P8C connectors wired according to TIA/EIA-568.

I want to stick my dick in there.

for you

That's correct.
But try getting people to say 8P8C (8 Pin 8 Connect) instead of RJ45.

I tried it for a while but nobody would know what I was talking about.
Which is why also don't bother explaining people the difference between TIA568 A/B.

People are pretty stupid and learn resistant.

So true, even working at a office there's been so many times when the vga and ethernet port of my thinkpad have saved my ass.

Attached: 3com_pc_nic.jpg (400x191, 28K)

it's solely about longevity, not appearances. (although i personally prefer hdmi)

Datacentre admin, even then its niche at best and uncommon since most shit is remote. And youll typically use a fat thinkpad or precision laptop

Psssh Nothin Personnel Kid

Attached: untitled.jpg (3600x1200, 476K)

If I was doing that I rather have a dongle since the constant plugging and unplugging would damage the port.

>But try getting people to say 8P8C (8 Pin 8 Connect) instead of RJ45.
I find it way simpler than having to remember arbitrary RJ numbers : xPyC (x -> number of positions, y -> number of actually installed pins).
As usual, the industry is catering to retards by not using standard names.

now that shit right there would be broken in a year, three years tops

That's hilariously overengineered when you consider the single jaw design used today

Do you people like.. have a habit of sitting on exposed computer parts or something?

Here at shitty UIUC most (graduate students) even with laptops use the cabled connection because the wifi is spotty and unreliable.

If you use it daily.

But if you only use it a few times a year it should be perfectly fine for the job.
And way better than carrying dongles around.

But it keeps the right orientation.

Normalfags must die

its useful when wifi isn't working, and when you want to transfer hundreds or thousands of gigs of data and have it not take 10x as long

I use it at work to to connect to PLC's on sites.

signature faggot

This isn't twitter

not everyone does pic related for living

Attached: 328748374.jpg (960x640, 124K)

GTFO doll poster

> He puts tape on the camera
> Don't disable it on the BIOS
> camera as wallpaper
> windows 10
> chiclet keyboard
> starcucks

The current state of lelnovo chills

I always wanted one of those back in the day, but never got one. I had one that just had a big fat plastic housing thing that stuck out of the PC and another with a removable wired dongle that I used with my Jornada 720.

Working in an office with a wired connection. Travelling and staying in hotels that have ethernet, back in the day very few had wireless and even today hotel wifi is usually slow as shit and is a security risk.

My camera is disabled in BIOS, but I still have a shutter on it for good measure.

> He puts tape on the camera
Wait... you don't?

Vanity. All is vanity.

Because if you actually carry your laptop everywhere along with other materials it becomes the most important factor next to battery life and screen. 1980's ports should stay with 1980's computers.

I have to carry a lot of stuff in addition to my laptop, and having an 11" ultrathin means I can slip it into the same bag as everything else and not add a ton of size or weight. That's especially important because I travel a lot, and it's often to places where the best way to get around is walking or riding public transportation. (Particularly Japan.) I have real desktops at home and at the office to do serious work on, and the laptop is just for basic tasks like email, social media, basic website updates, backing up photos, etc.